PDA

View Full Version : Off to USA. What to take?

Krusti
18th April 2008, 08:08
Heading off to USA to work on silage harvest for seven months in two weeks. Just checking to see if any ideas on what I should not forget to take with me?

Knowledgable replies welcomed...:lol:

nodrog
18th April 2008, 08:10
Heading off to USA to work on silage harvest for seven months in two weeks. Just checking to see if any ideas on what I should not forget to take with me?

your passport

Krusti
18th April 2008, 08:12
your passport

Now that was quick off the mark..:laugh:

Flying into LA then onto Denvor and finally into Kansas city and drive out to Wamego.

Gubb
18th April 2008, 08:23
Pants.
</10 char>

NOMIS
18th April 2008, 08:25
weetbix for thoese long days of silaging.

karla
18th April 2008, 08:27
Now that was quick off the mark..:laugh:

Flying into LA then onto Denvor and finally into Kansas city and drive out to Wamego.

Whoo hoo - spent last winter (summer there) in Kansas City. Take light clothes, and good shoes, it gets very hot and humid. Otherwise travel lightly. I joined the library and the YMCA when there, good swimming and gym, not expensive. Laptop was invaluable, and was nice to have my own cell phone (ppl at home txted me). I bought a prepaid one there that never worked. Txt's from NZ to States used to be .20c for the plan I was on, but that went up to over a $1 as I came home so you'd want to check that. Join Skype for phone calls home.

Water bottle was firmly attached (they make you empty it when you get onto the plane). Most places tell you you can't drink the water, and it tastes awful in places, but we never got sick (bought a lot too tho'). We took crunchie bars, chocolate fish and a few kiwi items to give away (hand cream, pens, paua notepads etc). Take your favourite recipe and learn to make pavlova if you have time!

Big insects there, insect repellent was needed but we got it there. Loved the squirrels and chipmunks :) I dropped my camera and lost my glasses so was glad I had travel insurance - your call but I think it's wise. Hospital costs will break the back of most of us.

Have fun ~

Krusti
18th April 2008, 08:56
Thanks ... The think I most trying to work out is how to keep in touch with home. Will be staying in motels throughout the midwest, mostly in small towns.

Will take laptop. Some say forget a mobile ph (too exp).

At least I will be flying over with another kiwi. We can hold hands....:wari::wari:

jim.cox
18th April 2008, 09:24

Take as little as possible, travel as light as possible

Pickup anything you need along the way

Just my $0.02

riffer
18th April 2008, 10:10
Anal lube. Homeland Security are bastards.

JimO
18th April 2008, 12:20
dont take a criminal conviction or you may get sent home

terbang
18th April 2008, 12:26
Take an open mind and you will enjoy your time there..

Livvy
18th April 2008, 12:48
A rifle of some kind.

You know, in case you see Americans.

Oh wait...

ElCoyote
18th April 2008, 15:20

Helen Clarke

karla
18th April 2008, 17:15
Thanks ... The think I most trying to work out is how to keep in touch with home. Will be staying in motels throughout the midwest, mostly in small towns.

Will take laptop. Some say forget a mobile ph (too exp).

At least I will be flying over with another kiwi. We can hold hands....:wari::wari:

Most of the small motels have free internet access. Get your family to set up Skype (http://www.skype.com/intl/en/welcomeback/) before you leave and then you can test it, works anywhere and all you need is your laptop and a pair of headphones (cost about $12). Took me about ten minutes to set it up.

Timing is everything - KC is on daylight saving as are we so the best time to connect without anyone having to stay up too late or get up early is probably about 10am Sunday morning here (Sat afternoon, 5pm there).

ManDownUnder
18th April 2008, 17:20
If any of the following are in your "must have list" then take 'em:

Vegemite
Golden Syrup
Cadbury Chocolate
Moro Bars
Crunchie Bars
Nestles Scorched Almonds

avgas
18th April 2008, 17:41
CASH!!!
I cant emphasis enough the LACK of card facilities around the world.
I felt poor in NY with only US$100 and my bank cards. I found and ATM quick smart.
Also take some beer - theirs is shit. Even the Japanese and Chinese make better.

Krusti
18th April 2008, 17:52
Thanks guys, now a dumb and dumber question. What do I need to run my kiwi appliances?

awayatc
18th April 2008, 18:06
Thanks guys, now a dumb and dumber question. What do I need to run my kiwi appliances?

Kiwi appliances?????
What are you taking along? Beerfridge?They have 110 Volt over there........
Second hand stuff over there is dirt cheap, so why bother?:banana:

Krusti
18th April 2008, 18:12
Kiwi appliances?????
What are you taking along? Beerfridge?They have 110 Volt over there........
Second hand stuff over there is dirt cheap, so why bother?:banana:

My laptop.... Sooooooo I take it that the little transformer box the power runs through allows for both voltages?

Second hand....... flying straight into midwest country and hitting road (not too hard I hope)

Cheers

firefighter
18th April 2008, 18:25
My laptop.... Sooooooo I take it that the little transformer box the power runs through allows for both voltages?

Second hand....... flying straight into midwest country and hitting road (not too hard I hope)

Cheers

check your chargers, I'm heading over with the mrs soon, and we checked at dick smith and some other places and they said most electronics should work no-worries as they will run 110-240v, have a look you will see it there written on the charger, damn near everything does,ie no special adapter other than a travel plug adapter (obviously) and take minties!

kerfufflez
18th April 2008, 23:17
It never hurts to have a few spare passport sized photos on hand. You need them for all sorts of stuff now, maybe for I.D. to check into the motels etc.

Scan your documents (passport, license, etc) into a computer and email a copy to yourself (if you can do it all securely). If you lose the real thing it lessens the hassle of arranging new ones.

I've never been to the US, but one thing I found handy in other countries was a small (no bigger than a postcard) laminated map of NZ on one side, and world on the other. Most people get a kick out of seeing how far you've travelled, and like to see where, on which island, your home is, and it's quick and easy to point it out.
(Note - this is only if they are curious, please don't think I go around boring people to tears with random geography lectures).

Enjoy your trip.

karla
19th April 2008, 13:57
check your chargers, I'm heading over with the mrs soon, and we checked at dick smith and some other places and they said most electronics should work no-worries as they will run 110-240v, have a look you will see it there written on the charger, damn near everything does,ie no special adapter other than a travel plug adapter (obviously) and take minties!

Take a spare travel plug adapter! You will have problems getting a backwards (NZ to USA) adapter over there if you lose it or it breaks. I took two which was lucky as one didn't work after the first week. I also took a double adapter as well, which came in really handy (could run laptop and recharge son's psp at the same time). We picked up a converter for about $140 which plugged into the car lighter jack, and used the universal adapter with that when we were travelling. It wasn't enough to run the laptop, but did recharge it overnight for those times we weren't in motels (we mostly stayed in National Park camping grounds).

avgas
21st April 2008, 15:37
just buy a power cable for the charger over there. most laptop chargers do 100-250v 50-65Hz AC so its all good. Same with cellphone chargers.

soundbeltfarm
21st April 2008, 15:59
hey man who is the other guy you are flying over with?
my cousin is flyin over on the 28th or somthing like that to do the harvest too.

Krusti
21st April 2008, 18:39
hey man who is the other guy you are flying over with?
my cousin is flyin over on the 28th or somthing like that to do the harvest too.

Is he 57 years old?

The guy I am going over is, don't know his name yet tho........

soundbeltfarm
21st April 2008, 20:22
nah he'd be'mid forties i'd say

mowgli
21st April 2008, 20:26
da'ah! Make sure you take your kiwi driver's licence. Hire a harley and go cruising though the mid west during your time off :)

Krusti
21st April 2008, 20:36
nah he'd be'mid forties i'd say

Bloody heaps of guys head over, 1200 just from Sth Africa alone!

puddytat
21st April 2008, 20:45
Take your Kiwi ingenuity,& your sexy accent...

jetboy
22nd April 2008, 16:37
Scan your documents (passport, license, etc) into a computer and email a copy to yourself (if you can do it all securely). If you lose the real thing it lessens the hassle of arranging new ones.

I second this. You have no idea how hard it is to get replacement documents whilst you are overseas! Then again, neither do I - but a mate of mine went over not so long ago and lost his passport. According to him it's harder than the hard place you are stuck in when caught between a rock and a hard place...

skidMark
22nd April 2008, 16:43

Lube, lots of anal lube.

jetboy
22nd April 2008, 16:48
Lube, lots of anal lube.
What is it with you and anal lube?

HungusMaximist
22nd April 2008, 19:31
Plently of condoms.

I heard, due to the success of 'flight of the concords' over there, US women just melt when they hear that hot NZ accent.

skidMark
22nd April 2008, 19:46
What is it with you and anal lube?

I dunno what is it with insurance companys ripping people off?:buggerd:

oldrider
22nd April 2008, 19:52

Don't forget to take Krusty! :whistle: John.

Krusti
22nd April 2008, 21:38
Don't forget to take Krusty! :whistle: John.

Oh yeah, obviously you have forgotten yourself as well...:msn-wink:

karla
22nd April 2008, 22:08
Plently of condoms.

I heard, due to the success of 'flight of the concords' over there, US women just melt when they hear that hot NZ accent.

... and agreement between NZ and USA is that if she gets pregnant, you have to pay .... even if decision to keep babee is unilateral, and even if you never see babee in your entire life.

Take care, and plenty of it. :whistle:

Macktheknife
23rd April 2008, 05:20
Power adaptors, open mind, credit card for emergency, Laptop is good but don't count on the WiFi working in small motels it often doesn't.
Camera, clothes are cheap here so pack light, camelbak (essential IMO), LED headlamp or similar, been amazed how often that is useful.
Bring some Kiwiana stuff too, make great gifts for those who make an impresion on you.
Have fun, this country (US) is really different to what I expected in some ways, and not at all in others.

Swoop
23rd April 2008, 12:56
Helen Clarke
That would be enough to get kicked out! If you walked in with "the creature from the black latrine", immigration would say "Go back to where you came from, and take "that thing" with you"!!
:chase:

Krusti
23rd April 2008, 16:50
Just spoke to the boss over there, I will be driving a 2008 500hp Ford Sterling semi truck. Carting between chopper and stack.:2thumbsup

soundbeltfarm
23rd April 2008, 17:18
talking to my cousin last night,
yesterday he had to go to the us consulate in auckland to get his visa , and he said man it is overkill in their with all the guards and screening,
he flies out on 28th to SF then onto Denver then drive out to a place called Fargo then they drive all the gear down to texas and start.
he was talking to a mate over there and where they are meant to be starting at is 7 feet under snow so they are already 5 weeks behind.
he is just driving the trucks but man it not a very good hourly wage.
he is leaving it over there to see if our dollar drops then bring it back to convert.

Krusti
23rd April 2008, 18:11
yesterday he had to go to the us consulate in auckland to get his visa , and he said man it is overkill in their with all the guards and screening,
he flies out on 28th to SF then onto Denver then drive out to a place called Fargo then they drive all the gear down to texas and start.
he was talking to a mate over there and where they are meant to be starting at is 7 feet under snow so they are already 5 weeks behind.
he is leaving it over there to see if our dollar drops then bring it back to convert.

I'm up to the consulate on Tuesday then fly out on the second. Hourly is not that flash but I am more going to see the place...

We are heading into Kansas and out to Wamego then off down to Texas, big adventure for this little country boy....

The Co that I deal with sends about 100 kiwis over a year.

ElCoyote
23rd April 2008, 20:12
That would be enough to get kicked out! If you walked in with "the creature from the black latrine", immigration would say "Go back to where you came from, and take "that thing" with you"!!
:chase:

Thing...........Swoop, you are being very kind. Mind you how do you describe a mountain of shit, leaning to the left, smelling of deceit who conducts business in the back of a limousine while not looking out the window. In LA that would be described as a hooker, in NZ it's called the Prime Minister but not for much longer thank God. :devil2:

Swoop
23rd April 2008, 20:28
...the Prime Minister but not for much longer thank God. :devil2:
Yup. New Zealand's very own "foot in mouth" disease.:2guns:

owner
25th April 2008, 16:06
I buzzed out at all the fords at LAX you have never seen so many fords , Sterling will se fun. Whats the company your going with?
TAKE BURGER RINGS
And go to a monster truck show in a big fuck off stadium

skidMark
25th April 2008, 17:34

LMFAO

there was a movie about the multiple murders in fargo....funnily enough the movie is called

Fargo...

Show it to him before he goes lol.

EDIT: Just for you...

EB4PmbfG4bw

Sollyboy
25th April 2008, 18:19

Take condoms with you