PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a rifle on a motorbike

mark247
19th April 2008, 15:41
I know there is an old thread on here answering this question but i cannot find it so im just going to ask again, someone can point me in the right direction if they want towards the thread. I want to go to my mates place tonight and take my air rifle. I have a case for it which i am planning to put it in and sling it over my back and ride my bike there. So YES it is in a case but it is pretty obvious there is a rifle in there. Im sure if the police saw it they would pull me up but im not doing anything else illegal so if i get pulled over so be it. I just want to know if it is legal to take my air rifle in a case slung over my back on my bike on public roads?

Thanks.

The Pastor
19th April 2008, 15:45
Yes it is legal.

mark247
19th April 2008, 15:50
I just called the police and asked and if it is obviously a gun case then it's illegal. what the fuck?!?!?! I asked if there was any way of making it legal and they said put it in the boot, OH YEA MY BIKE HAS A BOOT SORRY.

TimeOut
19th April 2008, 15:52
I think you're fine as long as you have a good reason (not just carrying it for the sake of it) and are licensed or in the case of an air rifle over 16

Meekey_Mouse
19th April 2008, 15:57
Hmm... Could you some how put part of it into a back pack? If all it needs is to not look like a gun... Is there some way of achieving this?

mark247
19th April 2008, 16:02
Hmm... Could you some how put part of it into a back pack? If all it needs is to not look like a gun... Is there some way of achieving this?

I just tried to see if i could put it down the side of my bike under my leg but the VFR is pretty small and it's not gonna work. Putting it in a bag on my back wont work because its a pretty heavy bulky air rifle, its not some little one, its a target one with a scope and all that yardy yar.

SpankMe
19th April 2008, 16:03
Have carried my rifles slung over my shoulder on my bike for years. Always in a rifle bag and never had a problem. Even got pulled over a couple of times, but they just checked my firearm licence.

skidMark
19th April 2008, 16:08
Have carried my rifles slung over my shoulder on my bike for years. Always in a rifle bag and never had a problem. Even got pulled over a couple of times, but they just checked my firearm licence.

Oh shit you have a gun... :dodge:

kevfromcoro
19th April 2008, 16:11
have carried guns on bikes before..and never had a problem..
think it is a bit hard to do a driveby shooting on a bike...
cops are reasonable ....sometimes

skidMark
19th April 2008, 16:17
have carried guns on bikes before..and never had a problem..
think it is a bit hard to do a driveby shooting on a bike...
cops are reasonable ....sometimes

New sport...

kevfromcoro
19th April 2008, 16:24
New sport...

lol Mark..but it would be a bit hard to do...

Shadows
19th April 2008, 20:40
I just called the police and asked and if it is obviously a gun case then it's illegal. what the fuck?!?!?!

The cop is full of shit. You can carry a rifle walking down the main street if you like provided you have a lawful reason to do so (like taking it to a gun shop), it is made safe (no bolt etc) and you don't point it at anybody or threaten anybody with it. Case or no case, it doesn't really matter but if you don't cover it up the cops might decide to give you a hard time about it.

I've regularly carried rifles etc. around on my back while riding public roads and never had a problem. I never use a case any more after that one time at band camp when my gun bag's zipper broke open on the motorway and I almost lost a new pump action shotty under the wheels of a following truck. Let alone almost losing control of the bike while fucking around trying to stop the gun falling on the road.

If it is not an air rifle just make sure that the bolt is removed and there is no magazine sticking out of it, and best to sling it muzzle down as it appears less threatening.

Most cagers tend to keep their distance too, which is a good thing. Just watch out for those vigilante types who might take it upon themselves to stop you before you get to the bank...

Skyryder
19th April 2008, 20:41
The rifle must be disabled. I'd notify the cops of the the time you are planning to leave and the aproximate rout just as a precaution.

Skyyrder

Holy Roller
19th April 2008, 20:48
Seen both in a gun case and without slung over ones shoulder in our neck of the woods. Hunting is a popular pastime.
I used to sling mine uncovered over my shoulder with the mag and bolt in a bag. never got stopped, but then there are not many cops who frequent the back roads in the forest.

PrincessBandit
19th April 2008, 20:59
Oh shit you have a gun... :dodge:

Yep, I'd watch out if I were you. Must be "Mark season" somewhere, run rabbit run. :shit: (Are you an 'easy' mark :lol:)

skidMark
19th April 2008, 21:05
lol Mark..but it would be a bit hard to do...

Ya reckon...

LOL yeah they did it in the first fast and the furious movie.

It was awesomo.

http://gothamist.com/images/2004_04_awesomo-thumb.jpg

rottiguy
19th April 2008, 21:06
Actually it is illegal to carry it down the road in the open if it's not in a case, I believe the charge is intimidation or something, if the public get freaked out then that's chargeable . But carrying it in a gun case with reasonable cause ( to gun shop or to go shooting ) is no problem or even just wrapped in a towel is ok. I agree with whoever said watch out for it falling out the zip, best to sling it zip side up and muzzle down, good to check how strong the sling attachments are too.

Badger8
19th April 2008, 21:10
I just called the police and asked and if it is obviously a gun case then it's illegal. what the fuck?!?!?! I asked if there was any way of making it legal...

Slap a big sticker on it that says "NOT A RIFLE CASE" :whistle:

deanohit
19th April 2008, 21:32
Stick it in a violin case!
Cheesy I know, but it don't lok like a gun!

I haven't been pulled up with my rifle yet, and I used to ride through the middle of Blenheim on my pushy with the rifle in it's case on my back.

Shadows
20th April 2008, 08:40
Actually it is illegal to carry it down the road in the open if it's not in a case, I believe the charge is intimidation or something, if the public get freaked out then that's chargeable .

That's incorrect. It is only "strongly recommended" that you cover it up. Provided you do nothing to intimidate anybody you can't be charged.

davereid
20th April 2008, 11:14
That's incorrect. It is only "strongly recommended" that you cover it up. Provided you do nothing to intimidate anybody you can't be charged.

It goes to show how urbanised and terrified of firearms we are becoming. Too much telly !

Shadows is correct, you are not required to have the firearm in a bag. On the other hand, it's a pretty prudent thing to do!

Years ago, I just used to sling my rifle over my shoulder and ride where I wanted.

We even used to wander into the pub for a beer with the rifle on our backs.

I would be hunting in public areas, and meet Joe Public taking Rover for a walk, and we would just say gidday, did you get anything kinda stuff, just like you would say to a fisherman.

Now days, I expect if I walked out of the bush into a public car park at the roadside that I would cop some nervous looks. In 20 years time the cops will prolly be called cos there is apparently a mass murderer wander around !

Anyway - Shadows answered your question - you are entitled to take your made-safe firearm anywhere you want, as long as you are licenced, and have a sufficient lawful purpose.

Due to the current and growing level of paranoia, a gun bag is a wise idea, it takes the visual threat away, and its also great at protecting your firearm from the elements, and minor knocks etc.

If you are enjoying using an air rifle, why not sit your licence and get a more powerful rifle. A good .22 is a great start, takes rabbits and possums out much more humanely than an air rifle.

Duck shooting starts soon too - a local club will be only to happy to introduce you to some local shooters, and duck shooting is massive fun.

sefer
21st April 2008, 00:25
Yep it's legal. It might seem a little funny to be doing it though.

When I was in the states last year one thing I'll never forget is when I decided to go to a range to shoot a few hand guns. I borrowed a .38 from my uncle (hired the others). I tell you it was the weirdest experience to be carrying a gun around in my car all day, then walk down the street with it in my hand when I actually went to the range (it would have been illegal to put in a bag or my pocket, figure that...). Not one person blinked either. Scary really!

scumdog
21st April 2008, 08:14
I just called the police and asked and if it is obviously a gun case then it's illegal. what the fuck?!?!?! I asked if there was any way of making it legal and they said put it in the boot, OH YEA MY BIKE HAS A BOOT SORRY.

Bollocks.

I just wrap the action/scope area in a rag to keep the road-crap off it, throw it over my shoulder and ride.

Never had a problem.

Some cops knowledge on fire-arm stuff is limited to knowing which end the bullets come out of.

Swoop
21st April 2008, 08:41
Good greif. Another chinese whispers thread.

Put it in a gunbag and sling it over your shoulder. Mag/bolt out and always carry your licence.

If you are going to a range or hunting, that is enough reason.

I tell you it was the weirdest experience to be carrying a gun around in my car all day, then walk down the street with it in my hand when I actually went to the range (it would have been illegal to put in a bag or my pocket, figure that...). Not one person blinked either. Scary really!
I bet the crime rate in that town was zero.

ManDownUnder
21st April 2008, 08:45

Ditto

Disable the firearm per the trasport requirements of the law (i.e. no bolt in, ammo in a separate container yada yada), stick it in a gun bag and ride.

I note it's an air rifle so "disabling" it isn't practical... i.e. just stuff it in the bag and go. I've ridden through central Auckland with a gunbag, and rifle overmy shoulder. If anything it's a safety feature... people tend to notice and get the hell out of my way...!

Mr Merde
21st April 2008, 09:24
Actually it is illegal to carry it down the road in the open if it's not in a case, I believe the charge is intimidation or something, if the public get freaked out then that's chargeable . But carrying it in a gun case with reasonable cause ( to gun shop or to go shooting ) is no problem or even just wrapped in a towel is ok. I agree with whoever said watch out for it falling out the zip, best to sling it zip side up and muzzle down, good to check how strong the sling attachments are too.

So if you carry the rifle in a case\bag then technically it is a concealed weapon.

In NZ it is strictly illegal to carry a concealed weapon.

I regularly carry my firearms on the bike.

Lever action rifle

Sawn off shotgun (ie Coach gun with 18" barrel)

and 2 x .44 mag revolvers

The pistols are kept in a gunbox, the rifle is kept in a bag slung over my shoulder and the sawn off is bungeed to the rear seat.

This is all carried along with approx 300 rnds of .44 mag and 100x12 ga shot shells.

Havent been stopped yet but have had a lot of second looks.

rottiguy
21st April 2008, 21:15
Oh ok, was told by a cop once, no doubt trying to bullshit me into not walking down the main road with the 6.5mm over my shoulder, he said something about breach of the peace yada yada if someone got freaked out etc... but they do talk crap sometimes :spanking:

rottiguy
21st April 2008, 21:21
I think it's illegal to carry any gun if you don't have a lawful purpose, concealed doesn't matter as long as you have the appropriate license, carrying a concealed weapon refers to just moving around with one on you or in your vehicle without a good reason.

So if you carry the rifle in a case\bag then technically it is a concealed weapon.

In NZ it is strictly illegal to carry a concealed weapon.

I regularly carry my firearms on the bike.

Lever action rifle

Sawn off shotgun (ie Coach gun with 18" barrel)

and 2 x .44 mag revolvers

The pistols are kept in a gunbox, the rifle is kept in a bag slung over my shoulder and the sawn off is bungeed to the rear seat.

This is all carried along with approx 300 rnds of .44 mag and 100x12 ga shot shells.

Havent been stopped yet but have had a lot of second looks.

twistemotion
21st April 2008, 23:59

Looks like the cops don't know their own Arms Code - scary :Police:. Sorry, a bit of a long post, but this is quoted from the Arms Code:

"Before you obtain your first firearm you will
need to think about where you will keep it and
how you will carry it home.
From the moment you leave a dealer’s shop
you will be carrying your UNLOADED firearm in a
public place.
Many people are alarmed at the sight of a
firearm. Because of this, and because it will
protect the firearm, you are strongly advised to
get a padded cover or case in which to carry it.

This ensures the firearm stays in good
condition and makes it less obvious. Make sure
the action is open when around other people."

You may even need to carry it on
a bus or train, an aircraft, or inter-island ferry...etc"

"You should not leave firearms in an unattended
vehicle. “Unattended” means no-one is in or
near the vehicle, or able to watch it and make
sure it’s secure. You must have a particular
lawful, proper and sufficient purpose to have
firearms with you, so you should have firearms
— unloaded — in your vehicle only on the way
to or from a hunting trip, or shooting range, or
for some other genuine reason."

Amongst the "Offences with Firearms" section:

"Carrying or possessing a firearm without a
lawful, proper and sufficient purpose."

See the full code at http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/arms-code.pdf.

I guess mark247 has fetched his air rifle by now... :yawn:

Mr Merde
22nd April 2008, 09:05
I think it's illegal to carry any gun if you don't have a lawful purpose, concealed doesn't matter as long as you have the appropriate license, carrying a concealed weapon refers to just moving around with one on you or in your vehicle without a good reason.

Good answer, this is exactly my rationale. I only carry when I am going to a shoot, CAS.

The concealed bit was a bit of a red herring but I wanted to provoke a debate, looks as though I have.

jetboy
22nd April 2008, 14:24
Stick it in a violin case!
Cheesy I know, but it don't lok like a gun!

This way you can open up on that bastard Sollozzo for trying to take over your turf too...

jetboy
22nd April 2008, 14:32
I think it's illegal to carry any gun if you don't have a lawful purpose...

Is pest removal illegal...if by pest I mean thieving, no hope bludgers?

Swoop
22nd April 2008, 15:07
This way you can open up on that bastard Sollozzo for trying to take over your turf too...
That might be a bit difficult with that firearm...

No magazine!:2thumbsup

Mr Merde
22nd April 2008, 16:32
That might be a bit difficult with that firearm...

No magazine!:2thumbsup

Politically correct then

The baddie jumps up and goes BANG BANG BANG
You open up with RATTA TATA TAT

The baddie falls over.

It is then decided that you had no right to go RATTA TATTA TAT as he is of an ethnic minority and thereby allowed to bully and threaten you.

You come to an understanding whereby you will pay him for the rest of his families existence for the pain,injustice and humiliation.

You are then allowed to go on your way once you have been to sensitivity councilling.

Who needs bullets. You're fucked whatever you do.

Swoop
22nd April 2008, 19:14
Politically correct then

The baddie jumps up and goes BANG BANG BANG
You open up with RATTA TATA TAT

The baddie falls over.

It is then decided that you had no right to go RATTA TATTA TAT as he is of an ethnic minority and thereby allowed to bully and threaten you.

You come to an understanding whereby you will pay him for the rest of his families existence for the pain,injustice and humiliation.

You are then allowed to go on your way once you have been to sensitivity councilling.

Who needs bullets. You're fucked whatever you do.
So. You are applying for the labour party leadership position? With logic like that there is no stopping you from getting the job!:rofl:

rottiguy
22nd April 2008, 19:32
lol well oriffercer I was carrying it cause this guy really pissed me off so I'm gonna cure him with a lead injection :2guns: :clap:

Is pest removal illegal...if by pest I mean thieving, no hope bludgers?

The Pastor
22nd April 2008, 20:18
I sat my firearms test recently, and asked this question, as said here, it is legal.

But put it in a bag at the least, dont want the road grime all over it!

one-speed
22nd April 2008, 20:38
i just strap them one on each side of the bike
that to me is easy,it give's you contol of the conditions and you can still use the brake and gear change.
i do use gun bags

NOMIS
22nd April 2008, 20:52
Uncle rides around with home made leather holder on the front forks ( terminator style ) around the farm with his shot gun in it.

After being in the military, And sitting my license your allowed to go where ever you like as long as while not in use it is dis - armed eg; removed bolt and mag,
To bad we where never allowed to take our steyers home. now that would put the shits up some people slung over my back going through the city. :2thumbsup