PDA

View Full Version : Parking in the city

Lance
16th December 2004, 09:45
I am enjoying my return to biking and the increased advantage in things like parking. Just how far can you push the ticket with parking before you get nicked

Yokai
16th December 2004, 09:57
Well - you get a parking ticket which you have to pay within 28 days of the ticket - then you get a reminder that you have to pay within 28 days of the reminder being sent...

Thanks for reminding me!

Devil
16th December 2004, 10:26
I am enjoying my return to biking and the increased advantage in things like parking. Just how far can you push the ticket with parking before you get nicked
Or you could just park in one of the many free parks around the city.
See thread previously created by moi.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2406

Personally, I park in the civic.

Hitcher
16th December 2004, 10:33
As a warning, I know from personal experience that Christchurch City Council has a by-law that lets Rita Metermaid ticket ALL of the bikes in a parking space if the meter has expired -- for the full amount, each. Other locales may have similar by-laws. So there is no incentive to share parking spaces with other bikes. An exchange of letters between myself and the CCC's enforcement office to mitigate financial hardship on my part has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Yokai
16th December 2004, 10:53
Personally, I park in the civic.
Yeah - why is that when the Elliot Street one is closer to work?

Devil
16th December 2004, 11:10
Yeah - why is that when the Elliot Street one is closer to work?
Covered!
No nasty rainesses getting into my electricsess.

magnum
20th December 2004, 20:14
eh up,welcome :ride:

Storm
20th December 2004, 20:56
Welcome to the site :)

crashe
30th December 2004, 12:57

Ok its FREE at Aotea carpark.... just get past the barrier arms and park in there by all the other bikes.... and then leave by getting past the barrier arms... as long as you don't hit the arms...its all FREE there. There are heaps of bikes always there.

Sky city is FREE go in Hobson street entrance and head back around towards the prepay exit.... just beside that is an 'island" on the left... put your bike up on there...and again as long as you can get past the barrier arms going in and out and dont hit them its all FREE.

You can also park at the ferry buildings as well.... under the ramp where you catch a boat to waiheke... its FREE at the moment until they being rebuilding there.... but you have to get in there early to beat all the scooters... ( I left my bike locked up there one whole weekend - they have security guards checking over night)

I also park on the footpath's in the city.... like on Ponsonby Rd and as long as you park it near the roadside... and its not in the way of pedestrians.... its usually ok. But in saying that I havent left the bike there all day.

I would think if you can get past any carparks barriers without touching them then it would be FREE, so long as they don't get bitchy at ya.....

Some places in West Auckland dont like bikes parked on the footpaths even for a short time... like Henderson. I have parked on the footpath of Queen Street whilst I was at a show... no problems, mind you it was in the evening.

Jantar
1st January 2005, 21:10
As a warning, I know from personal experience that Christchurch City Council has a by-law that lets Rita Metermaid ticket ALL of the bikes in a parking space if the meter has expired -- for the full amount, each. Other locales may have similar by-laws. So there is no incentive to share parking spaces with other bikes. An exchange of letters between myself and the CCC's enforcement office to mitigate financial hardship on my part has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Proof of these parking laws being a simple revenue gathering exercise. The councils don't really want to encourage more efficient parking, they just want $$$$$.

Bonez
2nd January 2005, 15:39
Proof of these parking laws being a simple revenue gathering exercise. The councils don't really want to encourage more efficient parking, they just want $$$$$.Our Council's doing it's bit with more M/C parking spots.

R00T
2nd January 2005, 20:13
Basically I think you will find the deal goes like this.

Park you bike in a proper allocated bike park and it is free.
Park you bike in any pay and display and don't buy a ticket, even if they were dumb enough to give you a ticket you can ask them who removed the ticket from your seat ?
Park your bike on the pavement (like lots of us do outside shops etc) and you may be fine for a while but eventually some turkey will bowl up and slap a ticket on it, usually for $40 but I think it can be as high as $400 for pavement parking, again I think it depends on the turkey.
Park it in any private establishment like Wilson's and you have to pay.

Fortunately I can park right outside the door at my current workplace, though in Wellington we do have a lot of parking options for bikes and the Authorities seem to be quite accomodating.

Similar is the one about overtaking lines of traffic in a jam, if you do it safely on the right and remain in your lane you are more than entitled to do so, but not on the left, or down the middle, rozzer's can take offence to lane splitting quite badly if they are bored or think you were extracting the urine.

Gasman
8th January 2005, 07:28

They do the same thing if you share with a cage! That's dodgy anyway of course, great way of getting dinged.

wari
9th January 2005, 07:21
HAve I said hullo yett .. :spudwhat: .. dunno ...nott sure ... I DOnt usually missa thing .. :moon: ...

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 08:16
Or you could just park in one of the many free parks around the city.
See thread previously created by moi.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2406

And now in the FAQ...
:2thumbsup Devil, you da man!!!!

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:28
Welcome and enjoy :banana: