PDA

View Full Version : OZ to NZ

phantom67
21st April 2008, 16:32
Hey there guys, first time poster.

I'm a Kiwi currently living in Australia (been here for the last year) and I'm going to be moving back to NZ in a few weeks. I've decided I want to bring the bike along. The moving company is charging me about $1200, which is all good. I'm just wondering how much of a hassle it would be to get it re VIN'd in NZ, and registered for the first time and all that jazz. Anyone had any experiences they are willing to share?

Also, as far as licensing goes. Suppose I'm on my Provisional in Aus (equivalent to NZ Restricted) and I've got about 4 months to go until my full, will I be able to transition directly from my Aus restricted to my NZ restricted? And will I have to wait another year for my full?

Thanks in advance
Phantom67

Jimmy B
21st April 2008, 16:37
Gidday phantom67

Welcome

Hopefully some one will chip in with first hand experience but this link might be a good place to start:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/44.html

tri boy
21st April 2008, 16:45
Brought my Daytona back from Perth in 99.(purchased in Perth 95).
I had no drama's with Rego/WOF.
Just got a warrant, and they issued a plate to it.
Customs stung me $700 for import duty though, so it might pay to check their website.
Things may have changed re Rego/Vinn by now though.

phantom67
21st April 2008, 17:13
Ty for the info so far, yer, if it turns out to be too much of a pain in the arse, I might not bother with it, but I'd like to bring it along as I've kinda gotten attached to it seeing that its my first bike (1996 CBR250RR) but I've been having a look around on Tardme and the 250cc market in NZ looks really inflated. (I got mine, a 1996 model, for $5000AUD, where on Trademe, I've seen some 1990's for $6000+ o_O)

mstriumph
21st April 2008, 17:34
wish i were going back to NZ

*sigh*:mellow:

phantom67
21st April 2008, 17:38
Whats stopping you?

CookMySock
21st April 2008, 18:36
dig through the bikes on trademe.co.nz and make sure it's worth your while bringing it back. Maybe you are better off to sell it and buy here ?

DB

kevfromcoro
21st April 2008, 19:23
Have just done some enquires on taking a bike to OZ..it a pain in the backside.no to sure about the other way around.just a thought..your OZ dollar is going to be worth a lot more here..so its not that bad.
if you are still determend to bring it....contact cargo co.Get Routed.

phantom67
21st April 2008, 19:44
dig through the bikes on trademe.co.nz and make sure it's worth your while bringing it back. Maybe you are better off to sell it and buy here ?

DB

Yeah I've had a quick browse, and the consensus seems to be: I can get a bike about 4-6 years older than my current one, for anything between $1000-$2000 more than I paid for mine.

mstriumph
22nd April 2008, 20:43
Whats stopping you?
SPman, 2 donkeys, a dog, a cat, 15 chickens, 4 bikes [2 of them hard to replace] and a pet frog currently .... *sigh*

skypig
25th April 2008, 21:30
I brought two bikes (Bandit 1200 and YZ250F) to NZ from OZ. As long as you can prove you’ve owned it 12+ months and can prove its value you should be right. There is duty etc and threats of more if you sell it within 12 months.

jonbuoy
25th April 2008, 21:44
$1200 seems a bit steep mate - its costing me that to send mine back to the UK in a crate with a load of personal stuff packed around it. Have you got a few quotes?