PDA

View Full Version : Who's who online

Hitcher
17th December 2004, 09:50
This thread is prompted by the decision/ability last night by Bob to close off a discussion thread.

I had presumed that people with administrator "rights" on the site were designated by having their names in red, e.g SpankMe and wari; or bold blue, e.g. SPman; and that us lesser mortals had unbolded blue names. My presumption was that Bob and any others who had administrator rights would have their names up in lights, as it were?

Just clarifying site etiquette.

I do have a slight problem with Bob's decision, as the thread was remaining largely true to its title. I hope that the "scottish thread" doesn't suffer a similar fate or that administrator controls about site content become too xenophobic...

jrandom
17th December 2004, 09:58
Bob, as far as I can tell, only has administrator control over the 'Biker News' forum, which is his baby.

I think appropriate treatment for the Brian Tamaki thread would have been to bifurcate it at the point where it got interesting, and create a new thread in 'Rave On' to continue the discussion. That is, after all, how the Scottish thread started; the title was SpankMe's.

In this case, the thread content wasn't 'Biker News' any more, but it does indeed suck to have a decent thread stomped on like that.

Unfortunately Bob isn't a site-wide administrator, so he couldn't do any more than he did.

vifferman
17th December 2004, 10:00
Well, I'm me (at least in this guise), even though I'm not the me I used to be.
But I'm also Nobody, which is fine by me, as I'm nobody here at work too.
In fact, I'm the only person at work today, apart from the temporary receptionist and two electricians. The other 90-odd assorted geeks, dweebs, boring people and weirdos are off picnicking all day.

vifferman
17th December 2004, 10:04
I think appropriate treatment for the Brian Tamaki thread would have been to bifurcate it at the point where it got interesting, and create a new thread in 'Rave On' to continue the discussion. That is, after all, how the Scottish thread started; the title was SpankMe's.

In this case, the thread content wasn't 'Biker News' any more, but it does indeed suck to have a decent thread stomped on like that.

Unfortunately Bob isn't a site-wide administrator, so he couldn't do any more than he did.Why wasn't it jsut moved then, or summat?
ONe of the very good things about KB is that threads often end up with a life of their own, and if the 'dickhead factor' becomes too great, other members usually stomp it out.
Or summat.

James Deuce
17th December 2004, 10:10
I'm a dickhead.

crashe
17th December 2004, 10:14
Hitcher - Just be happy with who you are....a mere mortal. :spudbooge

I am me and proud to be who I am....a kiwi. :spudbooge

BTW - I was posting in a thread on here just the other day... and it was in the raving threads..... by the time I had finished posting. The whole thread had disappeared into another area ... well I discovered another area of the site that I hadnt even been into.... buggered if I know how that happened.... but obviously the admin of this site.... decided it should be placed elsewhere.... :eek5:

crashe
17th December 2004, 10:17
I'm a dickhead.

Nah ya not..... someone else has that title....

ummm oh yeah its Bush and Brash.... oh shoot thats two people...
oh well they can fight over it.. :moon: :moon: :moon:

vifferman
17th December 2004, 10:21
I'm a dickhead.No you're not!

I have it on good authority that you are a Top Bloke. :niceone:

If this is about your bike, then sure that's annoying, but it sounds as though there was nothing you could have done to prevent it happening. Apart from staying home.

James Deuce
17th December 2004, 10:42
Umm thanks guys - just being pathetic and beating myself up.

Coldkiwi
17th December 2004, 11:32
I thought the thread was going interesting places too but I dunno how productive it was getting.

cest la vie

Ghost Lemur
17th December 2004, 11:46
Umm thanks guys - just being pathetic and beating myself up.

You're just suffering withdrawls. I'd say it gets easier with time but it doesn't. :crybaby:

Storm
17th December 2004, 12:23
Go to your "happy place" Jim, breath deep and think of the happy place :calm:

Ms Piggy
17th December 2004, 12:25
No you're not!

I have it on good authority that you are a Top Bloke. :niceone:

Yes quite true - Jim2 is a top bloke, not sure about that Paul guy though - I've heard allllllll sorts of rumours about him! :whistle:

Ms Piggy
17th December 2004, 12:29

Unfortunately Bob isn't a site-wide administrator, so he couldn't do any more than he did.

Oh bother - I didn't realise it had been closed. Yes it would've been nice if it had been moved ratehr than closed - oh dear.

Maybe someone can restart it.

jrandom
17th December 2004, 12:37
I thought the thread was going interesting places too but I dunno how productive it was getting.

Don't be grouchy, dude, some of us have to have a rant now and then :p

I was about to go back in and elucidate, expand and expound for everyone's edification, but Bob got in before I had enough time to give it a decent response.

I think a general petition to a Proper Administrator to shunt the thread over to Rave On and re-open it is called for.

vifferman
17th December 2004, 12:42
I think a general petition to a Proper Administrator to shunt the thread over to Rave On and re-open it is called for.Or a MassBadRepSeason on Bob? Just till we get his attention? :spudwhat:

jrandom
17th December 2004, 13:07
Or a MassBadRepSeason on Bob? Just till we get his attention? :spudwhat:

No, that would be mean.

Just get Spank or wari to move it over and re-open it. And someone PM Bob and tell him to organise for that to happen the next time he needs to kill an OT thread in the 'news' section.

SpankMe
17th December 2004, 13:13
Maybe splitting off the specific ranting posts into a new thread is an option.

Storm
17th December 2004, 13:43
But isnt it better to shift it to a whole new thread and let it take its course?
Just my 5 c

Storm
17th December 2004, 13:46
Or, even better, go to the thread I just started in "Rave on"and carry on as you were before Bob closed up shop

Hitcher
17th December 2004, 13:49
And maybe Bob and others with admin rights could get their names in deep blue letters as well...

vifferman
17th December 2004, 13:58
And maybe Bob and others with admin rights could get their names in deep blue letters as well...Ooh! Ooh!!
I'd like my name in flaming letters!

SpankMe
17th December 2004, 14:05
Forum leaders (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php?)

merv
17th December 2004, 14:33
Why the hell would anyone need to close a thread anyway? They die when they are ready surely i.e. people lose interest in the topic and move on.

Why kill it before that? If you get sick of a topic you'll stop reading the thread.

Bob seems to have stepped in unnecessarily in my view because do you think many of us were even concerned about it.

I don't read too many of the news posts because many we have heard of already anyway, but I don't care, I just skip them.

No need for censorship or any such thing as we can do that for ourselves. Cutting off a thread here is like Telecom cutting off your phone because you're talking ribbish to the person on the other end. How are they to know its not what they wanted to hear.

Long live freedom of speech.

I see Bob said:

Guys,

I hate to go all "Moderator" on you, but I think the time has come to close this thread.

I'm really, REALLY pleased to see the debate has, as far as I can see, all been very good natured - but I think perhaps this is not the forum for a theological conversation - and I'm also worried this is going to overshadow all the other news items coming up (and personally I'm more interested in reading about a 320bhp turbine powered superbike!)

Hope this is OK with everyone and you understand why I've done this,

Bob

He was worried it was going to overshadow all the other news items. How would it do that, one measly thread popping up on the screen amongst his continuous stream of "news"?

duckman
17th December 2004, 15:02
Forum leaders (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php?)
Yay - I'm a senior member .... **giggle** :killingme

Hitcher
17th December 2004, 15:12
Ooh! Ooh!!
I'd like my name in flaming letters!
Oh that's right. Didn't you used to be called something else, "Hornetto" or "Valkeriedude" or "Goldwinger" (with two hard Gs)...

Storm
17th December 2004, 15:19
Duckman- me too yay!! For 5 whole days yay for senior memberdom

Coyote
17th December 2004, 17:30
Booyah, senior member!

marty
17th December 2004, 18:07
i'm a self-opiniated, inflexible, whingeing dickhead in real life too

merv
17th December 2004, 19:42
i'm a self-opiniated, inflexible, whingeing dickhead in real life too

You are an ex-cop aren't ya?

marty
17th December 2004, 21:11
proud to have been one too.......

marty
17th December 2004, 21:14
must say though - i was in A & E with my son a couple of weeks ago, used to be up there every working day with death and destruction going on (all deaths had to be signed off by the duty a&e doctor). looked around - didn't miss it one bit.
the only thing i really miss is picking on dickhead bush lawyers :)

scumdog
17th December 2004, 21:58
proud to have been one too.......

Good on ya marty,I hope I still feel the same when I leave (sure I will) but tonite I'm going to drown the demons in my head at the local pub - marty & spud et al will know what I mean> :weep:
TOO many needless deaths.

2_SL0
18th December 2004, 18:34
If you need to kill a thread let me know. Ill go in waffle on about nothing and shortly afterwards it will die a slow painless death. :spudwave:

RiderInBlack
18th December 2004, 19:04
Good on ya marty,I hope I still feel the same when I leave (sure I will) but tonite I'm going to drown the demons in my head at the local pub - marty & spud et al will know what I mean> :weep:
TOO many needless deaths.Feel for you guys, specially this silly season time of year (glad I'm not nursing any more). I really get embarrassed (and piss-off) on Year's Eve when people I'm with are rude to the poor cops on duty. They are there for our own protection (often from our own stupidity) for f*ck sake. Sorry off topic.