PDA

View Full Version : Honda Shadow 400

Amz
24th April 2008, 11:14
I'm thinking of getting another bike as my 1977 Suzuki TC 125 2 stoke trail bike is not at all great on the open road. I've always looked at getting a trail style bike even though I won't be using this one off road probably but have come across a Shadow 400cc cruiser. I've had a sit on it and it feels pretty good for my 5"5 shorty frame which is another plus for a cruiser. So I'm asking, has anyone gone from dirt bike style riding being upright, leaning it in in corners, standing on the pegs, zipping round town type riding to what I guess is more feet sticking out the front (this one has way forward controls) not being able to stand on the pegs when cornering / manuovering, sitting lower, cornering different as in not leaning over so much and railing the corners with the throttle but more accelerating out, and not as soft suspension. I guess I just want to know if I am making the right decision in going to a cruiser as you can't tell much from a carpark test. Also, since I'm a shorty most other style bikes over 250cc are a bit tippy toe for me at a standstill otherwise all right on the go like the BMW650 adventure bikes. I don't want to heavier a bike either so no bags and boxes etc. The shadow 750's feel a bit heavier then this 400 which feels just right. I notice bikes are a bit slow to sell at the mo. Do you reckon I'm making the right decision getting the smaller 400cc version?

twotyred
24th April 2008, 16:01
I would think after the TC it will be luxury!:2thumbsup

firecrab
24th April 2008, 16:44
Shadows are great bikes. Coming from a 125, a 400 will make a nice difference and get you anywhere you want. I'd say go for it! :D

woodboats
25th April 2008, 08:49
Not sure what your budget may be but in my biased view I would have a re-look at the 750 Shadow.
Size wise they are perfect for getting your feet flat on the ground. Plenty of power for a mid range cruiser, very comfy for longer trips and quite good fuel milage.
The 400 is a wonderful bike but I am just thinking that by going to the 750 you may just save yourself a future upgrade. The weight is really no problem, my wife's bike is lighter but she can easliy handle the 750.

SilverGrin
25th April 2008, 10:03
Not sure what your budget may be but in my biased view I would have a re-look at the 750 Shadow.
Size wise they are perfect for getting your feet flat on the ground. Plenty of power for a mid range cruiser, very comfy for longer trips and quite good fuel milage.
The 400 is a wonderful bike but I am just thinking that by going to the 750 you may just save yourself a future upgrade. The weight is really no problem, my wife's bike is lighter but she can easliy handle the 750.

What he said.
My wife had a 750 and her legs are very short.
Lovely bike to ride, over short and long distances.

heyjoe
3rd May 2008, 23:15
I would agree with the comments re try looking at the 750 and catering for future proof on upgrading. If you feel the 750 cc size is a bit overwhelming then just take it easy with becoming accustomed to it. I think the benefits on lowness to the ground and being a bike that will stand you in good stead for many many years are good points to bear in mind. Of most of the cruiser bikes of the mid range size you will find the Shadow 750 bike the most generous in terms of being low to the ground. Perfect for shorter people (not doing pc talk today) seeking a lower bike. Good luck with whatever choice you make anyway. Cruiser bikes are fun.

FJRider
3rd May 2008, 23:21
No stick with the 400 till you know a cruiser is want you want. Enjoy.