PDA

View Full Version : cleaning leathers

aff-man
17th December 2004, 17:43
just purchaced some really old leathers that could do with a clean. What is the best method/stuff for this. (also need to get some armour in the knees :eek: :killingme

guzzi_nz
17th December 2004, 18:06
What :( u dont clean old leathers older the better :headbang:

aff-man
17th December 2004, 18:27
Wife/Wife :innocent:

Ok how do us younger generation clean them :moon:

Motoracer
17th December 2004, 18:34
Ok how do us younger generation clean them :moon:Girlfriend/Mum?

カワサキキド
17th December 2004, 18:34
I started a thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=6867&highlight=dry+cleaning) recently about that, and apparently if you go to a sadlery you can get leather soap and wax.

Hand wash them and dry them flat, in the shade, turning them regularly so the don't go crusty.

I haven't tried washing mine yet so I'm just passing on what I have read. Washing isn't recomended thou.

RiderInBlack
17th December 2004, 19:33
Think BabyB meantioned that she had been/was a Leather Tec and Frosty seem to be knoweledgiable in this area. Best bet is to PM those 2 (they know they shit about armour for leathers as well). I use horse leather cream on mine but have been told off by BabyB for using it.

merv
17th December 2004, 19:36
I just use that liquid nugget stuff that you can buy at the supermarket - shines up my leathers nicely as I use the same trou road or dirt. Wash them first with water if necessary and then give them the treatment.

Coyote
17th December 2004, 19:44
Does cleaning them actually make them last longer or is it just to make them look good?

merv
17th December 2004, 19:52
Does cleaning them actually make them last longer or is it just to make them look good?

Both!!!!!!!!!!!

Motu
17th December 2004, 20:15
Saddle soap - I used my leathers on a dirt track and saddle soaped and leather dressed them often....trouble is it made them shrink.... :innocent:

RiderInBlack
17th December 2004, 20:36
Saddle soap - I used my leathers on a dirt track and saddle soaped and leather dressed them often....trouble is it made them shrink.... :innocent:Well at least they are the right height for you (funny how the width has shrunk but).

Motu
17th December 2004, 20:52
Yeah,what makes them do that? Maybe it's because they are on a hanger and that stops them shrinking verticaly?

RiderInBlack
17th December 2004, 21:05
Yeah,what makes them do that? Maybe it's because they are on a hanger and that stops them shrinking verticaly?It is a known fact among divers that wetsuits shrink in the closet. Maybe the same is true for bike leathers.

guzzi_nz
17th December 2004, 21:25
I just use that liquid nugget stuff that you can buy at the supermarket - shines up my leathers nicely as I use the same trou road or dirt. Wash them first with water if necessary and then give them the treatment.
HA HA :buggerd: :mobile: I di that nugget my leathers when i was 16
Then got into a car with white seats :gob: fu....k what a mess dint let it dry :no:
O well not my car :eek:

merv
18th December 2004, 13:16
HA HA :buggerd: :mobile: I di that nugget my leathers when i was 16
Then got into a car with white seats :gob: fu....k what a mess dint let it dry :no:
O well not my car :eek:

So how come you needed leathers on in a car anyway - didn't you feel safe enough without?

guzzi_nz
18th December 2004, 17:06
So how come you needed leathers on in a car anyway - didn't you feel safe enough without?

:cool2: I had lost my liecence and allways had leathers on :headbang: :cool2:

FROSTY
18th December 2004, 17:22
Aff man --seriously dude --give Baby B a pm -she can clean and recolor your leathers for ya.

For the other folks -looking after your leathers properly will have a few big advantages.
1) They stay looking as new for longer.
2) they stay comfortable by staying supple.
3) they'11 be water "resistant" for longer
4) Most important -Theyll hold together better in a crash
keep in mind -leather is well skin -sorta dried meat
It can rot and be useless ,it can crack up--ditto
same appliess to the thread --cotton thread WILL rot if you use the wrong kind of leather dressing -then ya suit will explode at the seams on impact.
Nylon stitching will tear through the leather eventually if the leather is poor quality or badly treated

Motu
18th December 2004, 17:32
Yeah but - how do you stop them shrinking in the middle bit??

FROSTY
18th December 2004, 17:43
Bloody easy mate -go to any womenswear shop
They sell a special tool for blokes with shrinking leathers.
Its made by a company called Gir its called a rdle
:banana:

aff-man
18th December 2004, 17:57
Was talking to her on msn last night, and she'll sort me out sweet as. Cheers guys for all your input :beer:

Lee Rusty
19th December 2004, 21:00
washing machine on gentle wash and dry laid out flat turning over often so they dont bake.