PDA

View Full Version : Trademe bidders who pull out.

200BUSA
25th April 2008, 19:25
I hate bidders on auctions on Trademe that pull out of the sale when they reach reserve.My bike is listed and first and only bid went to over my reserve and due to close Saturday night the 26th.Tonight they say they have bought another bike and please remove there bid.Whats the legal side of this -do i have to remove there bid?

homer
25th April 2008, 19:29
yeah i guess you do
but if you dont they wont pay so its just time wasting
better to start the auction again asap

firefighter
25th April 2008, 19:34
you dont have to remove it but you'll probably waste your time trying to hold them to it

Zoolander
25th April 2008, 19:44
A lot of people seem to bid just to be nosey about the reserve, with no intention to buy. If they accidentally hit the reserve they backpedal and ask for the bid to be removed "because they just bought something else". Yea right. Tossers. Another reason I don't bother listing vehicles as auctions, rather just do a classified add. Its cheaper because theres no success fee and if people are genuinely interested they will contact you. I sold my R1 in under 3 weeks this way. Plus you dont have to put up with all the idiot questions, "does it wheelie?" "is it a 2 or 4 stroke?" "does it have powerbands?" "wl u trd 4 my badaz 323 wiv tints?" and so forth.

The Lone Rider
25th April 2008, 19:47
You can hold them to legal accountability.

As stating in Trademe's policy of use, bidding on trademe is a legal agreement all the same as you would in a in house auction. However, removable of bids is required when deemed under reasonable circumstances.

So you could hold them on it by law.. but up to you if it's worth the legal effort. You would probably spend a lot of time arguing if they had reasonable cause for removal of the bid.

200BUSA
25th April 2008, 19:53
I might just let the auction run to see what he does,i asked for him to call me with a reasonable explanation as to why i should remove his bid,i dont care that he bought another bike.He bid above the start price which was the reserve so he knew what he was doing and that was 3 days ago.So he wont give a stuff till he gets a letter from lawyer.

skidMark
25th April 2008, 20:05
A lot of people seem to bid just to be nosey about the reserve, with no intention to buy. If they accidentally hit the reserve they backpedal and ask for the bid to be removed "because they just bought something else". Yea right. Tossers. Another reason I don't bother listing vehicles as auctions, rather just do a classified add. Its cheaper because theres no success fee and if people are genuinely interested they will contact you. I sold my R1 in under 3 weeks this way. Plus you dont have to put up with all the idiot questions, "does it wheelie?" "is it a 2 or 4 stroke?" "does it have powerbands?" "wl u trd 4 my badaz 323 wiv tints?" and so forth.

Best post ever lol

skidMark
25th April 2008, 20:06
I might just let the auction run to see what he does,i asked for him to call me with a reasonable explanation as to why i should remove his bid,i dont care that he bought another bike.He bid above the start price which was the reserve so he knew what he was doing and that was 3 days ago.So he wont give a stuff till he gets a letter from lawyer.

Yeah but... do you want your bike going to an asshole?

It's not worth it...

Just relist.

My 10c worth.

200BUSA
25th April 2008, 20:14
I didnt think someone from Dunedin would do this,they must be an OZ import.

H00dz
25th April 2008, 20:18
I'm with Skidmark life is short......dont waste your time with stupid people relist and sell it to someone genuine, better to state a buy now or reserve, people get too greedy thinking their sitting on goldmines..... if they were,they wouldnt be selling it in the first place........:laugh: I'm more wary on people trying to talk up their goods......Good luck !!!

kevfromcoro
25th April 2008, 20:28
A little of topic,, but still Trademe..Last week i sold an outboard on Trademe...was listed for the usuall $20 fee..reached the reserve and sold...then Trade me sent me another bill for $71(high ticket item)....i have sold heaps of stuff om Trademe and never had this happen before..i mean the outboard only sold for $2000......whats going to happen if you sell a 20k item....its probably there in the small print...but who reads that .after such a long time dealing with Trademe.....i never bothered.....
We all know Trademe has new owners.....hope they dont keep charching these fees...

200BUSA
25th April 2008, 20:36
[QUOTE=H00dz;1537238]I'm with Skidmark life is short......dont waste your time with stupid people relist and sell it to someone genuine, better to state a buy now or reserve,

I will relist.
It did have a buy now and the start price was reserve.They bid more than the start price,so they new what they were doing.It just pisses me off,as its not the first time its happened.

Grub
25th April 2008, 20:41
You can certainly ask Trademe for a ruling. I'd just let it run and let the guy sweat it. If you don't get any other bids then ask him for the money. when he doesn't settle report him and it will go against his Rep. Unlike KB, on Trademe Rep means something and bad rep will really fuck up his ability to trade. Since it's not the first time it's happened, don't bleat about it, use the system and make sure he doesn't do it again.

Yep, he knew what he was doing when he bid = his problem. If you relist, he could probably go you for withdrawing the auction after he has bid (if you can - which I doubt)

ynot slow
25th April 2008, 20:44
As well when you are close to reserve it says within 15%,so you can get an idea of reserve.Now it stuffs up your auction as people know the reserve,so people with no reason to bid put in bids under reserve,then honest genuine bidders might think out of my price.

johan
25th April 2008, 20:46
A little of topic,, but still Trademe..Last week i sold an outboard on Trademe...was listed for the usuall $20 fee..reached the reserve and sold...then Trade me sent me another bill for $71(high ticket item)....i have sold heaps of stuff om Trademe and never had this happen before..i mean the outboard only sold for $2000......whats going to happen if you sell a 20k item....its probably there in the small print...but who reads that .after such a long time dealing with Trademe.....i never bothered.....
We all know Trademe has new owners.....hope they dont keep charching these fees...

Success fees
Up to $150 5.9% of sale price (50c minimum)
$150 - $1500 $8.85 + 3.9% of sale price over $150
Over $1500 $61.50 + 1.9% of sale price over $1500
(max fee = $199)

But when you place an auction, it says:
The 'Sports' category incurs a listing fee of $19.00.
A success fee of up to $39 will apply if the auction meets reserve.

Grub
25th April 2008, 20:54
But when you place an auction, it says:
The 'Sports' category incurs a listing fee of $19.00.
A success fee of up to $39 will apply if the auction meets reserve.

Then they are bound by that under the Fair Trading Act. You bought the service for the fee stated, they cannot charge more.

Mully
25th April 2008, 22:06
He wont pay, and I don't see how a bad feedback will hurt him that much. *cough*Unless it's like KB Bling*cough*

Remove his bid, and blacklist the fucker, that way he can't participate in your auctions ever again. That's what I normally do when I get a timewaster

Grub
25th April 2008, 22:39
I don't see how a bad feedback will hurt him that much.

I guess that depends on future traders with him/her. I don't know about you but we always check the feedback of someone we're dealing with. Negative feedback completely changes how we deal with that trader. I believe therefore it matters - a lot.

You're right, he/she won't pay but then 2000BUSA knows that already :) He's got nothing to loose by letting it run and achieves even less if he stuffs around with his auction.

Mully
25th April 2008, 23:02
I guess that depends on future traders with him/her. I don't know about you but we always check the feedback of someone we're dealing with. Negative feedback completely changes how we deal with that trader. I believe therefore it matters - a lot.

You're right, he/she won't pay but then 2000BUSA knows that already :) He's got nothing to loose by letting it run and achieves even less if he stuffs around with his auction.

Yeah, but people can feedback on feedback "My son bidded without my knowledge, sorry" plus you don't see the value of the auction after a couple of months.

Plus then you have to fuck around with TM to get a refund of the outrageous fees they charge. Not worth the hassle IMO. Remove the bid and blacklist the fucktard.

Wiki Drifter
26th April 2008, 02:38
Plus you dont have to put up with all the idiot questions, "does it wheelie?" "is it a 2 or 4 stroke?" "does it have powerbands?" "wl u trd 4 my badaz 323 wiv tints?" and so forth.

My favourite: "top speed?"

awayatc
26th April 2008, 02:52
A little of topic,, but still

Not only that....You try to get some help from TM when you have a problem....
You can NOT reply to their e-mails, The only "help" they give is the advise to go to the small claims tribunal.....
TM is only interested in revenue gathering, you only get your "ad" for your money.....You are on your own in everything that does eventuate as a result of that ad......
:Pokey::buggerd:

El Dopa
26th April 2008, 09:10
blacklist the fucker

Interesting - didn't realise you could do that to trademe idiots.

'Sold' my old bike about 10-11 days ago to a guy who hit 'buy now' about two hours after I listed it. I've been chasing him to arrange a handover time ever since. 'Oh, soon, i'll contact you soon. I need to sort out the money. Is the bike ok to ride?'

Uh, it's in the state I described it, in the auction you bid on....y'know, when you agreed to buy it? What part of 'ask questions before you bid' did you not understand?

Gave the guy a deadline for arranging a handover, and now he's gone quiet.

Was talking to one of the mechanics at Holeshot a couple of days ago, and it turns out that this same TM user did the same thing to him - agreed to buy, came and looked at the bike, and then went 'oh, it's not really what I was looking for'.

If he doesn't come to the party by the deadline, I'll name and shame.

The most irritating thing about it is that now Trademe is chasing me for a 'success' fee, and I've wasted nearly two weeks.

CookMySock
26th April 2008, 10:30
yeah I got first a dismayed and then an annoyed look for pulling out early the other day too :whistle:

DB

RantyDave
26th April 2008, 10:36
Yeah but... do you want your bike going to an asshole?
Who gives a shit? It's a machine - it's money - it's a simple transaction. I don't give the first flying fuck who buys it, not like I'm selling one of my children, is it?

Dave

Mully
26th April 2008, 11:01
Interesting - didn't realise you could do that to trademe idiots.

The most irritating thing about it is that now Trademe is chasing me for a 'success' fee, and I've wasted nearly two weeks.

Yep, it's in My Trade Me/My Blacklist. You just enter his TM ID and he's gone. It's what I do to the fuckwits who fuck me around with the car. There are now three names on my list.

Give him bad feedback now, and request a refund from TM - you only have a certain amount of time to claim a refund before they tell you to fuck off. You will get a note in your feedback "This member was the seller, but the trade was not completed" or some such, and the money credited to your account.

not like I'm selling one of my children, is it?

Shit, I think I've finally found a reason to have children. Sell them. Thanks Dave.

mowgli
26th April 2008, 11:11
Don't shag around waiting. Soon after the close TM won't refund success fees - it's in the small print. This caught me out when I gave a belligerent buyer a week too long :mad:

Conquiztador
27th April 2008, 01:26
Someone asks for their bid to be removed on TM. Do so. You keep them there and they win. And then what? They don't want it, you have to stuff around with refund from TM (takes around a week). And to take them to Small Claims is a waste of time.

Remove their bid, blacklist them, and your auction is still good.

I have asked for my bids to be removed too. Was all keen when I did the bidding, but then life changes on me and not much I can do about it.

And re the red reps: You give them a red one. And you get a red one back. Brilliant...

Remove bid and life still goes on.

Conquiztador
27th April 2008, 11:17
"Authenticated members can request their bid to be removed by contacting the seller using the question and answer feature at the bottom of the auction page.

If requested within reasonable notice from the close of the auction, the seller is obliged to remove your bid"

Beemer
27th April 2008, 12:07
I only had a $1 reserve on a hand-held vacuum cleaner and the damned thing didn't get any higher bids so I lost 50c in success fees. I knew the guy who bought it and as he worked for a courier company and I could send it to him care of work free of charge, I sent the goods to him before getting the money because, hey, it's only $1 anyway. Weeks later he still hadn't sent the money so I reminded him. Reckoned the dog ate the envelope... A week later I got said envelope in the mail - the torn bit had been taped up and the envelope was empty. I know it's only $1 but it's the principle -he's got something that works and was posted within a week of him winning the auction, and I've got nothing. He had 100% good feedback so it pisses me off greatly!

awayatc
27th April 2008, 12:30
I know what you mean, and how you feel .....
However it always makes me feel a lot better to remind myself that I only have to deal with the likes of him once.....
But tossers like that have to live with themselves for the rest of their miserable lives.....How could you dish out a punishment that beats that?.....

It all comes out in the wash......:apint: