PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Classic Trial

Motu
21st August 2003, 18:56
Fathers Day Classic and Twin Shock Trial

7th September,start 11.00am

Turn off SH1 at Mercer,over the bridge for 5km,then turn right thru the trees onto Laurie Buxeda's property.

There will be a spare Motu Bike,a KT 250,but Kokopele has first dibs on it,followed by my wife.The Kokopele will most likely give it up when he can't find the starter button.

This is a nice property,a natural trials park,but I hope it's better than last sunday the 16th - those squawls kept coming over and dumping bucket loads of water - I had the only twin shock bike,and was rather out of my depth,had a few big spills and spent a lot of time pushing and hauling the TLR 200 out of impossible situations.

Be there....or be warm and cozy.

DZL
22nd August 2003, 00:51
Yo Motu, are there any classes between 'Twin Shock' & the 'clubmans' grade at an open trials meeting, or would 'clubmans' be as relaxed as it gets?

If/when I get a Pampera I'll be hot to get something going to encourage involvement from guys who are in the middle, ie they dont have a twinshock relic to ride (those thangs cant be any better than they were when I rode them NEW!), & also they arent into tap-dancing accross the tops of  telephone poles at an 'open' event!

Hmnnnnn, mebbe someday we can have a 'Pampera' class!?!

CIAO

Motu
22nd August 2003, 09:10
They usualy have 3 choices at any trial - a tough A Grade or Expert A line,an intermediate line,this is also twin shock expert,the easiest is variously called clubmans,twin shock clubmans,novice or junior depending on who turns up.It's a tough call for them to get it right every time - sometimes it gets easier as the day goes on,it's a bit embarassing when it's too easy,close your eyes and ride through....but then again last sunday the clubmans line was impossible for me on half the sections(one of the experts took my bike as I was strugling to get out of a gully and just rode it straight up! how these guys can find traction in those conditions is amazing)

I think what we used to ride 20yrs ago as clubmans would be intermediate these days - we don't get to jump logs or go over huge rocks much anymore,got to look after these precious and fragile old bikes and bodies! Taking a trail bike through a section would be too hard,but I would like to see what these Pamperas could do,one brought along and open to test rides by trials riders would generate some interest and discusion.

Looks like the weather is doing a turn around - the lost weekend is on! looking out the door - I want to be on the road :angry2:

DZL
22nd August 2003, 09:40
Motu man, that trip aint THIS weekend, its the NEXT one oright, August 30/31!

;-))

Motu
22nd August 2003, 10:36
Shit,yer right!!! no wonder I can't go! must be an indication of where my brain is at,thinking ahead,or just plain thinking is not one of my strong points.I have more time than I thought.

DZL
22nd August 2003, 11:37
 . . .. so ARE ya going/coming, & have I got your real/other name on my headcount ~ are you counted in wiff Hoscars number?

If not then ya better gimme yer email address so's I can send you 'the instructions' to not read!

;-))

Motu
25th August 2003, 10:08
Thanks mate - you've given me an extra weekend in my life...I hope I make use of it.

Workin on coming down - took the last mm off the rear tyre yesterday,Sahara 3 being fitted this week,oil and filter change then a quick glance over my 17 year old 90,000km bike and it will be go.Then I just have to keep the weekend free - the Missus says go :niceone:

Get my email from the members list.

Dunno if I want to follow Oscars lot to National Park! Refuel at Awakino then Ahititi to Ohura would suit me.

DZL
25th August 2003, 10:59
 .. yeah that Nat'l Pak rowt seems a shitload of highway riding to me, but 'different strokes' & all that  ..

On ya way to Awakino, if ya not coming the best way (via Marakopa/Waikawau) then just south of Mahonui ya can turn right/west into Taumatamaire Rd which is a sorta summit track above/along the gorge to Awakino, great views from on high . ..

Dunno about backtracking from Ohau valley over the Waitangas to Ohura but . .tho its a nice ride too & it does get ya seeing Tangarakau Gorge if ya not going home that way sunday . . .. . if it stays dry ya could likely get thru Matau North & the submarine bridge to Kiwi Rd & pop out at Ahititi again .. . if ya go that way be careful around Tatu, strange events occur thereabouts, Wee Woss Williams claims to have been 'conceived' there when his da was working at the mine, but I reckon more likely they just 'found' him, embedded in a lump of coal or something . .. .

Jeez, who'ld live in bloody Orc-Land or Willytown when ya can have all this great riding here in Lothlorien?!

;-))

SPman
25th August 2003, 18:57
How far is the (main?) road sealed over the saddle to Ohura?

DZL
25th August 2003, 19:20
Ya mean the road over the Waitangas from Ahitit/Ohau to Ohura? Not much sealed on that'n at all, just a bit at the Ohura end from before & then on down the last hill etc . . .

The road down towards the Tanagarakau Gorge from Ohura is getting more & more ruined/sealed all the time, well south of Tatu now then Dirt still in mosta the gorge, then seal starts again near the Moki Tunnel near Tahora ..  . 'they' are trying to get it sealed all the way coz otherwise the hirecar/van insurance wont cover all the silly f*cker touros who have never seen metal & get all spinny about it ~ nevermind the trauma of driving on the 'wrong' side! Sheeeesh!

HTH

;-))

Motu
25th August 2003, 21:00
Hey DZL,you've bloody highjacked MY trials thread :niceone:

So...''IF'' I come down - instead of back tracking Ahititi to Ohura,would you recomend turn right and over Mt Dampier...this comes out at the bottom of the Moki tunnel hill right? Bear in mind,coming down the west coast to Awakino...this little guy on a tall heavy bike will be getting a bit weary - I don't need to get off and push at that stage...Tangarakau Gorge is fine by me,I like it.

SPman
25th August 2003, 22:42
Originally posted by DZL
...the hirecar/van insurance wont cover all the silly f*cker touros who have never seen metal & get all spinny about it ~ nevermind the trauma of driving on the 'wrong' side! Sheeeesh!
;-))

METAL!

It was nice smooth dirt track, last time I went through - GR8 for power slides

DZL
25th August 2003, 23:24
Motu sed ->

would you recomend turn right and over Mt Dampier...this comes out at the bottom of the Moki tunnel hill right? Bear in mind,coming down the west coast to Awakino...this little guy on a tall heavy bike will be getting a bit weary - I don't need to get off and push at that stage...Tangarakau Gorge is fine by me,I like it.

Me say ->

I think ya better have a nother lookit the map, or 'splain yer question more clearly . . . if ya go Awakino/Ahititi/Okau Vly then via Mt Damper to bottom of Moki Rd / Tunnel etc, ya WONT be going thru the Tangarakau George!

Ya will ONLY see that if ya come SOUTH down SH43 from Ohura . . kapisch?

Another way of saying this is ~ if ya dont want lotsa miles ya either go up Mt Damper & thru Tahora to Wanga, OR ya go thru (say) PioPio, Aria, O'hura AND Tangarakau George to Tahora etc . . .

HTH

What's going wrong with this site/List ~ I get a message to gosee a new post & the link takes me to a message saying something about a new server, so I have to piss around manually looking for a new post (which I only presume/guess correctly in order to get here) .. . . I think I'm outa this chickenshit thing . . .

;-((

Oscar
27th August 2003, 09:35
Originally posted by Motu
Thanks mate - you've given me an extra weekend in my life...I hope I make use of it.

Workin on coming down - took the last mm off the rear tyre yesterday,Sahara 3 being fitted this week,oil and filter change then a quick glance over my 17 year old 90,000km bike and it will be go.Then I just have to keep the weekend free - the Missus says go :niceone:

Get my email from the members list.

Dunno if I want to follow Oscars lot to National Park! Refuel at Awakino then Ahititi to Ohura would suit me.

Don't be a 'kin wimp!
There's five or six coming from Dorkland, meeting the four of us at Te Uku. Apart from Otorohanga - Tekuiti it's all gravel or secondary roads...

Motu
27th August 2003, 12:51
There is still a fly paddling in my custard,but I'm hoping to flick it onto someone elses plate when they aren't looking.What time are you meeting at Te Uku...I presume the others will come down the Wainaro road to Te Uku?

Oscar
27th August 2003, 12:55
Originally posted by Motu
There is still a fly paddling in my custard,but I'm hoping to flick it onto someone elses plate when they aren't looking.What time are you meeting at Te Uku...I presume the others will come down the Wainaro road to Te Uku?

McPhee and the boys are meeting at Bombay (maybes you could hook up with vege when he comes down the NW Motorway) at 8am.

We're meeting them at Ohautira Road (the old Pukekohe- Raglan SH) TeUku at 9.30.

DZL
27th August 2003, 13:46
Mind how ya go Motu, havent ya seen the 'map' that 'skins has marked up with his proposed rowt . .. it looks to me like ya would do well to pack a chainsaw along, or at least a machete, plenty rope, matches, flares . . . .

;-))