PDA

View Full Version : R1 vs ZX9 pilion comfort??

Yanosh
26th April 2008, 01:01
Has anybody owned both and done any serious km's with a pilion??

I know these are not ideal touring bikes, but I'm mainly into doing track days and sports riding - just wondering if my missus would be much happier on the back of a ZX9? Just asking as it's the only sports bike that I can think of with grab rails for a passenger

I won't mind a change for next summer....

MaxB
26th April 2008, 01:37
Not owned any but I have seen my workmate progress from a Blade to an R1 and on to a Bandit as his woman became more important in his life and they went on more 2-up rides. Saying that they did a SI tour on the R1. Then again after they got back they bought the Bandit!

I'm not sure you would find many that went from a ZX-9 to an R1. Kawasaki are very clever in their marketing in that their (ZX-) Ninja range starts at 250 and goes up to 1400, making for very loyal customers. GSXR owners have the same thing going.

skidMark
26th April 2008, 01:43
The amount of guys that came into botany honda when i worked there having to trade in because the missus wanted to come out.

Prime example...

"Yes i would like to trade in my 05 cbr for a new vfr800 or blackbird"

We looked at him like he was nuts... then the missus who had been browsing outside came in and it all made sense.

He left that day, leaving us his cbr, missus on the back and away they went on a VFR from memory.

Women are evil, i felt sorry for the poor bugger.

My ex said to me once:

"It's me or the bike you can't have both"

I said okay.

So you'll give them up then?

Um, no.

You know how to get out, i'm going for a ride.

WHAT? you are choosing a bike over me.

bike was there first :rolleyes:

as i said....ex...

Meekey_Mouse
28th April 2008, 23:33
Hey, sorry I haven't seen this earlier

My brother owns an R1 and even though I have my own bike he has pillioned me on it quite a bit. If you rode very smoothly and took it easy on accelerating and de-accelerating it would possibly be OK for about an hour. With the rides we do, I wouldn't want to be on it for much more then half an hour. It really gets you in the middle part of your back after a while.
I can't say what the ZX9 would be like sorry, but hopefully that helps a bit :)

fireball
29th April 2008, 00:04
if the R1 is any thing like the R6, hell my ass was numb and hurting within half hour not good to be pillion on any by time i got back from taupo to auckland i could hardly move!

at least on the 9 you get maybe hour and a half before the pain sets in

but still neither are ideal for a pillion but comfort go with the 9

Coldrider
29th April 2008, 08:15
Vibration from the exhaust pipe onto the footpeg is what kills the ZX9 from pillioning.

NinjaNanna
29th April 2008, 08:35
Has anybody owned both and done any serious km's with a pilion??

I know these are not ideal touring bikes, but I'm mainly into doing track days and sports riding - just wondering if my missus would be much happier on the back of a ZX9? Just asking as it's the only sports bike that I can think of with grab rails for a passenger

I won't mind a change for next summer....

PM Biggle08 his missus did lots of KMs on the back of his C model ZX9, she looked quite comfy in fact, I think the pack rack had a lot to do with it as well.

Yanosh
29th April 2008, 11:13
Thanks for the replies - I've been on the back of my bike, so I know exactly what my missus has to put up with on the R1! It's horrible...

I thinking of trading for a sports tourer next year, and I'd love to get something like the ZX9 if it's a big imporovement in pilion comfort.... but by the sounds of things it's not. So if I'm gonna trade, sounds I might as well get something like the vfr

skidMark
29th April 2008, 21:09
Vibration from the exhaust pipe onto the footpeg is what kills the ZX9 from pillioning.

Too much powerrrrrr :laugh:

sosman
29th April 2008, 22:57
I owned a c1[98]zx9-r for two years & reckon the pillion seat is wider & way more comfy than the r1 & also the pillion seat is not as high above the riders seat too which means the pillion can hold onto grab rails or the riders love handles :2thumbsup

Zoolander
30th April 2008, 22:47
Could always fit a set of ventura L-brackets to the R1, I think you can buy a grab rail that attaches to them. I haven't ridden a ZX9 but every review I have ever read comparing those 2 bikes puts the R1 ahead. If you traded you may find yourself with a bike you like less, for the sake of a couple of grab handles.

sosman
30th April 2008, 23:32
I would have the R1 over the zx9r anyday for cornering/wheelies/stoppies cause it does it better or thou i still did that on my winja,so if ya gonna ride by yrself most of the time get the R1...more sharper handling & better wheelies,otherwise if ya two up most of the time zx9r,Its power is linear & more comfortable which is wot yr after? and it still goes fast

rachprice
30th April 2008, 23:51
I jumped n the back of my mates R1 on the weekend and we went over to pahiatua and around a few roads near there. About an hour long. I got really sore knees but i think its just cos I have long legs and they were cramped up. I guess not ideal for long distances but super fun!!!!

zrxrider
4th November 2008, 15:39
went from an 01 zrx 1200 to an 02 zx9 and wife wife (5foot5) loves it. more leg room, better visibilty and great induction sound. we've found it to be a remarkable good pillion bike although we are both small.

gunnyrob
4th November 2008, 16:41
Ask Big Dave about Buells. Apparently ladies love em!

As for Sprots bikes as tourers two up, good luck unless you own a BMW:wari: