PDA

View Full Version : Best Value 250?

Deranged
17th December 2004, 22:51
I'm looking for a 250, and I'm thinking about getting a Honda cbr250r(or rr), a Kawasaki GPX250, or something simular, from about 1989 to 1992. How much do you think one these in reasonble nick will aet me back, and what is the insurance like for a teenager.

Coyote
18th December 2004, 17:14
I only recently got my CBR for 5500. Really good deal as the bike is in really good condition. Sniper_CBR has also got a CBR like mine, and I think he got it for 5500 aswell

MSTRS
18th December 2004, 17:18
I'm looking for a 250, and I'm thinking about getting a Honda cbr250r(or rr), a Kawasaki GPX250, or something simular, from about 1989 to 1992. How much do you think one these in reasonble nick will aet me back, and what is the insurance like for a teenager.
Insurance.......Teenager.............$$$$$$$$$$$$$ go 3rd party, not full

カワサキキド
18th December 2004, 22:06
go to www.trademe.co.nz and www.bikepoint.co.nz
and here for an insurance quote www.protecta.co.nz

Hitcher
19th December 2004, 16:33
Don't buy a Kawasaki GPX250 (typing that felt incredibly disloyal). They are a lump of shite. They even make a Suzuki GSX250 look good.

Jonty
19th December 2004, 16:42
get a zxr 250 cheaper than a CBR and faster :whistle:

Riff Raff
19th December 2004, 17:36
What about a nice little Honda Rebel? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Coyote
19th December 2004, 17:41
get a zxr 250 cheaper than a CBR and faster :whistle:
Not always. Depends on where you buy from. Trademe varys greatly, but dealers tend to sell CBRs for 5500 and ZXRs for 6000, and it doesn't seen to change unless the bike is in bad condition

As for faster, your on Jonty :devil2:

Jonty
20th December 2004, 07:28
Not always. Depends on where you buy from. Trademe varys greatly, but dealers tend to sell CBRs for 5500 and ZXRs for 6000, and it doesn't seen to change unless the bike is in bad condition

I haven't seen one for $6000!!, I think I paid $4000 for mine from a dealer and it was in good nick. I guess it depends on how many are floating around out there. Maybe I should trade in and trade up now!!

As for faster, your on Jonty :devil2:

Ha ha look forward to it :soon: Hope you are enjoying the CBR, the pocket racers can be a lot of fun :first:

Coyote
20th December 2004, 08:52
Dealers over-inflate the prices of 250s. If you look through the motorcycle trader, almost all ZXR250s are 6000, and all CBR250RRs are 5500.

I was lucky with my CBR. The guy at motomart said since the CBR was traded in for a Ducati 748, they only needed to move the bike, and didn't care about making a profit. They could've sold it for 7500! It only had 19000km.

I later found out that the original owner was Her_B4

Jonty
20th December 2004, 10:35
I think you did well getting a CBR RR for $5500 from a dealer. Often the second hand CBR's on Trade me are up around that mark (for the good ones). I have found you get a little piece of mind when buying from a dealer as these older bike often have a few niggles in the first few months, which you can get fixed for free. My fork seals went early in the piece and that would have bumped up the price had i not bought from a dealer.

Does anyone know what you could expect for a trade price on a ZXR '89' 20,000K? is it worth trading or having a go at private sale? I think a CBR 600 F is on the cards for me in the next 6 months, with a little luck, as the Z6r is a little pricey :2thumbsup

Deranged
21st December 2004, 18:35
I've seen some CBR's on the net for under $3,000, but the some work done to them and I dunno if it is worth the time and money to fix them up. What are some other bikes that are simmular but mabey a little cheaper?

Deranged
21st December 2004, 18:36
What is 3rd party insurance like for one of these things?

jrandom
21st December 2004, 18:46
Don't ask about insurance here.

Call AMI, Protecta and whoever else you can think of, and get quotes.

My advice to you is, you're young, you'll want this thing to work when you push the button, not be an endless pit for money and time. (You can do that later when you have your own garage and a wife to piss off...)

If you want a sprotty 250, be prepared to spend 5-7K on a ZXR or CBR250.

Or buy a new GSX250 for 6K. They're OK.

You'll probably be able to find an NZ-new VTR250 for about the same price as one of those ZXR/CBRs. It'll be a lot slower, though.

If you buy a fast 250 for 3K or less, there's a good chance you'll end up with a list of stuff that needs fixing, and a bike that spends all its time sitting out the back of your driveway waiting for you to afford the workshop bill to get it going again. Not to say that it *has* to be that way, but you'll run the risk.

If you want to spend under 3K, buy a GN250.

Don't buy a second-hand two-stroke. They're like hookers and still-warm toilet seats. Feels good, but you keep wondering who was there last, and what they did on it.

Ghost Lemur
21st December 2004, 19:44
Don't buy a second-hand two-stroke. They're like hookers and still-warm toilet seats. Feels good, but you keep wondering who was there last, and what they did on it.

:killingme

That's worthy of the KB classic quotes thread (if I can find the bloody thing).

ktulu
21st December 2004, 22:50
Value for money speed wise when you have your learners or restricted you just can't beat an RG 150 or RGV 250, cheap as chips to buy, go like shit when they go but can cost a lot mainly if they are not maintained and checked regularly, which needs more care on one of these then most other bikes but yeah... speed for money....

aff-man
22nd December 2004, 06:48
You gonna get what you pay for. Zxr and cbr's are expensive... but then they handel brilliantly. I started on a vt250 and then when i bought the zxr250 i was amazed at , even though still a 250, how much better the handeling/stability of the bike was. It was slightly more uncomfortable but i got used to that real qquick (started moving around on seat). As for insurance. I am insured with state. (GET FULL INSRNACE) especially if you want to go and spend over $2500 on a bike. The payments are not to much but where they screw you is the incredibly hi excess. my zxr250 was insured for $3000 with an ecess of $1000 and $2xx a year payment.

FlyingDutchMan
22nd December 2004, 11:35
The CBR250R has the same performance than the RR, and you should be able to pick up a good one for $3k - its just got a different shape frame. I paid 2.7k for mine and it had a few things wrong on it... which I've managed to fix all the important ones for about $200. Everything else is just consumables and will need doing in the general use of any bike (tyres, chain, sprockets, oil, filters, REGO, WOF, insurance etc). You'll easily spend more on extra things than on petrol in a year.

Jonty
22nd December 2004, 12:52
I think it just takes a little looking. Dealers are constantly bring in containers of ZXRs and I picked up mine for 4K and haven't had a problem with it yet (touch wood). If you are a good rider then I would stay away from the GSX 250 they are a bit of a whale, the ZXR is a lot of fun and wont embarrass you on a ride. However I would be very cautous of a CBR or ZXR around the 3K mark.

As mentioned they can be hookers (mine can give you the ride of your life!) :msn-wink:

R00T
2nd January 2005, 21:24
(You can do that later when you have your own garage and a wife to piss off...) classic mate.. rofl

R00T
2nd January 2005, 21:29
As mentioned they can be hookers Yep, they will do anything you want, though some things can make them cough and splutter a bit.....

DarkNinja
3rd January 2005, 18:54
Don't buy a Kawasaki GPX250 (typing that felt incredibly disloyal). They are a lump of shite. They even make a Suzuki GSX250 look good.
Agreed, got my '88 about 6 months ago and have already spend about half what i brought it for on replairing it.they are crap.
Mind you, it handled better than the GN125 i learnt to ride on

rendog
27th January 2005, 20:56
I bought my ZXR250 from a dealer for 8k about 10 months ago. I know it was hell exspensive now, but I seem to buy things on impulse without looking at others. Its spent probably half that time in one shop or another. One accident then a big end bearing. Got full insurance from AMI, cost me a hundy a month ($1200 a year) with $200 exces. Might have helped I had my car insured as well with no claims for 2 years. Hop that helps.

mikey
27th January 2005, 21:07
best value 250 is MY cbr250R HURRRRRRICANE... you can feel the hurricane coming as its got no fairings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can have it for 2 grand!!!!!!!!!

i have a nasty little issue in court at the moment so will be selling it soonish

ktulu
27th January 2005, 21:13
You could buy my RGV, just had 2100$ spent in labour alone on the engine and gearbox at RCM performance, has crash damage on fairings but otherwise sweet, needs some sanding and painting, reconditioned powervalves and full overhauled engine only 1000km ago so it should be bullet proof for some time yet. Reasonable offers considered. Oh and its a mint red, new paint job 3 months ago, new perelli diablo

mikey
27th January 2005, 21:17
so how much did you want for the rgv?

ktulu
27th January 2005, 21:35
haha, how much have you got? I sorta need to sell it because it has cost me about 3500 on top of the 3900 that I paid for it so somewhere between 3 and 3500 just to make my expenses back is what I need. You won't find many RGV engines as good as this one, Ray clee used to race them and he is an awesome mechanic and he got it sorted so hopefully it should be awesome for a while yet.

Looks mint as aswell, from the un scratched side

zeRax
28th January 2005, 13:50
got my 91 gn250 +cheapie ffm helm not yesterday but last thursday for $1.8k, immaculate, 17000k's , itll get me round :0

Coyote
28th January 2005, 16:57
I bought my ZXR250 from a dealer for 8k about 10 months ago.
8K!!!! Flippin eck. How many kilometers, what condition is it in (have to be bloody good for that kinda price tag).

rendog
28th January 2005, 18:04
It looked mint, fresh off the boat. Turns out it wasnt a 93 like they said but a 92. Had 10,00 K's on it, but have now discovered the engine has been replaced. All green with a black painted frame.

campbellluke
28th January 2005, 21:32
Get a 4 cylinder. But at the same time, Try not to fork out too much on a 250

Do not get twins like gpx , gn , gsx .

Just my thought, that you would get bored on a twin fast enough. After having my 4 cylinder 40 hp for a year, I don't feel too anxious to get a larger bike.

But some of those twins are really slow

avgas
28th January 2005, 21:48
Singles are good, but they are slow top end wise (130-160 for a fourstroke, 160-200+ for a 2-stroke)
V twins arent 2 bad, but the parrallel twins have some problems (dunno why)
Fours are great, but can kill you if you dont know how to ride - they have a tendency to go to fast for a 'new' rider.
Have you ridden before? If not i recommend a good start on an FXR150 - as these bikes can do 150kmh, have awesome fuel economy, and have good resale value.
If you have ridden before, which bikes do you like the look/feel of?

bane
30th January 2005, 15:54
...i recommend a good start on an FXR150 - as these bikes can do 150kmh, have awesome fuel economy, and have good resale value.

Agree. Most people move up cc's pretty quickly once they get their full licence. To start off, buy something cheap to run/insure, and easy to resell (eg. fxr150). $7-8K for a 10+ yr old jap import 250 wtf!? Thats enough for a 2yr old SV650... save ya money for the time you're on a restricted licence and buy something reeaal nice when you get ya full :banana:

R00T
31st January 2005, 18:09
FXR150 150kmh, lol, lucky for us thats what the speedo says, but nobody will get a ticket on one for more than 120kmh, as thats the true speed at that reading.