PDA

View Full Version : Sugar mix to reduce corrosion?

Bob
17th December 2004, 23:07
Transport chiefs are trying to reduce the corrosive effects of road salt by mixing it with a sugar solution.

According to Safecote, the makers of the molasses-based substance, it reduces steel corrosion by up to 82%. The product is being tried out by Essex County Council.

wari
17th December 2004, 23:21
THEy oughta add beaten eggwhites , vanilla essense , vinnegar and cook for 30 minutes at 185C ... :killingme

Skunk
17th December 2004, 23:38
THEy oughta add beaten eggwhites , vanilla essense , vinnegar and cook for 30 minutes at 185C ... :killingmeYum, got any more recipes Wari?
Hummm, tried that just now, it's needs something... I know - Nutmeg. 2 tablespoons. :ride:

scumdog
18th December 2004, 01:34
I know soaking rusty bits in mollasses cleans he rust off them.... :p

wari
18th December 2004, 01:48
Yum, got any more recipes Wari?
Hummm, tried that just now, it's needs something... I know - Nutmeg. 2 tablespoons. :ride:

WHipp-edd cream anda slice of kiwi-fruit ... :spudwave:

Skunk
18th December 2004, 06:29
WHipp-edd cream anda slice of kiwi-fruit ... :spudwave:Placed where? And eaten how? :whistle:

marty
18th December 2004, 08:11
i reckon it'd be sweet as to ride on

NC
18th December 2004, 11:29
Placed where? And eaten how? :whistle:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Artifice
18th December 2004, 14:06
how can you call yourself a kiwi if you dont know the recipe for pavlova??? mind you i do have a sweet tooth. several in fact. at least the ones that are left.

Blakamin
19th December 2004, 08:44
i reckon it'd be sweet as to ride on
ha..... ha... ha... not :blink:

so now the salt sticks to yer bike.... and when summer comes, you can attract ants!!!!

Coyote
19th December 2004, 10:42
Wouldn't the sugar attract all the bugs to the road, and you would end up with all this bug splatter?

Skunk
19th December 2004, 11:19
i reckon it'd be sweet as to ride onAnd softer to crash on :rolleyes:

Coyote
19th December 2004, 13:02
And softer to crash on :rolleyes:
I don't know. I learnt at primary, that the more sugar you add to the biscuit mix, the harder the biscuits are when they have been baked

Bob
20th December 2004, 01:07
Wouldn't the sugar attract all the bugs to the road, and you would end up with all this bug splatter?

Seeing as road salt doesn't need putting down in Summer, nor does the sugar-based antidote! So bugs are not an issue.

Mind you, our authorities normally aren't too good at getting the road salt down in Winter until it is too late either...

moko
20th December 2004, 03:04
I think that quite a few of the people on here havn`t experienced the joys of road salt eating their ally bits because of the difference in climate.We normally get 3 months a year when frost and slippery roads are possible(makes a change from the rain I suppose) and local authorities chuck this crap everywhere,makes a real mess of your bike and is one reason why you`ll see less older vehicles on our roads than in N.Z.,where I saw loads of nice condition 60`s and 70`s cars,here they`ve mostly rotted away.I used to lag my bikes in grease around about October time,looked like shit but did the job,bitch to get off in spring though.Then it was a can of WD40 sprayed all over,not so messy as grease but still a 2 day job to clean up again.Now I use stuff called FS365 which is brilliant,protects your bike and also reacts to any road salt that`s got on it,even does a great job of cleaning up your plastic.Also we`re benefitting from a bit of climate change and the cold spell dosnt usually hit until New Year instead of mid-October like it used to.In fact ex-pats of a few years will be amazed to hear that so far weather from October to December has been mainly mild and quite pleasant,sunny and blue sky outside the week before Christmas.

wari
20th December 2004, 09:51
ANd wev'e just hadda week-end of hail and brimstone ... :blink:

THe tide is turnin' people ...

BTW moko ... I'm trying to gett some of that fs365 ... from a "source" of mine ... :spudwave:

Bob
20th December 2004, 21:45
If anyone is wondering what this FS365 stuff is all about, then click here for a review (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/fs365.htm)