PDA

View Full Version : VFR400 electrical problems

lankyman
26th April 2008, 15:07
Was wondering if anyone can help me. All started last weekend, was riding along open road and my NC30 died suddenly. Pulled to side of road and found the 30 amp fuse on my starter solonoid had blown. Replaced the fuse, switched on ignition and my reg/rec started smoking profusely. Had bike picked up and taken home. Replaced reg/rec with brand new aftermarket one that is apparently alot more reliable than the crappy genuine honda one.
Hit the road again thismorning to find my battery not charging with headlights on. Replaced battery with new one and headed off around mt taranaki with no headlights on to giv the battery a bloddy good charge. Get back into town, switch the headlights on and find it is still stalling. Whats goin on? is this a problem with windings in my alternator. Im starting to get frustrated and poor.

munterk6
26th April 2008, 17:20
I think ya might need to test the charge rate to verify the alternator output.
Sounds like no charging going on. Should be 13volts or more, up to 14.5v at the battery

skidMark
26th April 2008, 17:26
I think ya might need to test the charge rate to verify the alternator output.
Sounds like no charging going on. Should be 13volts or more, up to 14.5v at the battery

14.7 to be precise.

I think you new reg rec is not charging....

It will only goto 14.7 once you apply approx 3,000 rpm and above...

if you are not getting this at the battery then your new reg rec is hooked up wrong, it may need to earth to the chassis. and maybe it cant for some reason...

It's to do with your new reg/rec....the stock honda ones are well known for giving up...

But if installed correctly an aftermarket on gets them up and running again straight away.

They have been known to melt the wiring loom when the reg/rec dies... but you would very likely be able to see this in the wiring right by the reg rec...

I would say its just connected wrong or wrong reg/rec for bike.

Paulus
26th April 2008, 19:28
14.7 to be precise.

I think you new reg rec is not charging....

It will only goto 14.7 once you apply approx 3,000 rpm and above...

if you are not getting this at the battery then your new reg rec is hooked up wrong, it may need to earth to the chassis. and maybe it cant for some reason...

It's to do with your new reg/rec....the stock honda ones are well known for giving up...

But if installed correctly an aftermarket on gets them up and running again straight away.

They have been known to melt the wiring loom when the reg/rec dies... but you would very likely be able to see this in the wiring right by the reg rec...

I would say its just connected wrong or wrong reg/rec for bike.

A friend had exactly the same trouble on his old NC30. When the rectifier/regulator unit failed it also damaged the alternator. End result - two of the three alternator windings were open circuit. Easy to check anyhow.

lankyman
26th April 2008, 21:31
cheers for the replies people, there is currently 12.7 volts @ around 3000 rpm dropping back to 12 when headlights are flicked on, can't see any burnt wiring (checked before intstalling new reg/rec) and cant see how it could be installed wrong (its a simple 5 pin plug)

skidMark
26th April 2008, 21:42
cheers for the replies people, there is currently 12.7 volts @ around 3000 rpm dropping back to 12 when headlights are flicked on, can't see any burnt wiring (checked before intstalling new reg/rec) and cant see how it could be installed wrong (its a simple 5 pin plug)

Nope it's not charging at all then mate.

Or if it is it's sweet feck all.

Alternator is rooted as suggested above, or the reg rec is busted,

but yeah get a mechanic to check your alternator for ya.

dnt fluff around with it too much, just flick a mechanic 20 bucks or something to have a quick gander for you.

Skid.

more_fasterer
29th April 2008, 10:59
Sounds like one of the alternator windings is shorting out.

If you've got a multimeter, unplug the alternator from the reg/rec and check the resistance between each of the 3 wires, it should be 1 ohm. Then check the resistance between each of them and ground. It should be open circuit.

XRKID
1st May 2008, 17:39
I got a nc24 and my battery is overcharging. One day i lent my bike to a mate who redlined it on a nearly empty battery which fried the reg/rec and the ecu. After replacing these costly parts i started the bike back up nw im getting around 13-15V on idle and 18v at 5,000RPM. This is the 3ed reg/rec ive tried. (all being second hand) it was from a Yamaha rd450/ 550. Any suggestions? Maybe it will be fourth time lucky. But strange thing is when i do reg/rec checks with the multimeter things seem ok.... well at least i think.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

lankyman
15th May 2008, 15:02
Was wondering if anyone can help me. All started last weekend, was riding along open road and my NC30 died suddenly. Pulled to side of road and found the 30 amp fuse on my starter solonoid had blown. Replaced the fuse, switched on ignition and my reg/rec started smoking profusely. Had bike picked up and taken home. Replaced reg/rec with brand new aftermarket one that is apparently alot more reliable than the crappy genuine honda one.
Hit the road again thismorning to find my battery not charging with headlights on. Replaced battery with new one and headed off around mt taranaki with no headlights on to giv the battery a bloddy good charge. Get back into town, switch the headlights on and find it is still stalling. Whats goin on? is this a problem with windings in my alternator. Im starting to get frustrated and poor.

Conclusion:
After testing alternator (over 50V coming out of each phase) and a very thorough check of the entire loom turned up no shorts, it was discovered that the regulator i was sold was faulty. No gaurentees on electrical components leaves me $270 out of pocket, but finally have the viffer back on the road. Thanks for your help everybody :devil2:

idb
15th May 2008, 15:27
I got a nc24 and my battery is overcharging. One day i lent my bike to a mate who redlined it on a nearly empty battery which fried the reg/rec and the ecu. After replacing these costly parts i started the bike back up nw im getting around 13-15V on idle and 18v at 5,000RPM. This is the 3ed reg/rec ive tried. (all being second hand) it was from a Yamaha rd450/ 550. Any suggestions? Maybe it will be fourth time lucky. But strange thing is when i do reg/rec checks with the multimeter things seem ok.... well at least i think.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Try checking your earth connections for the reg and the battery thoroughly.
Make sure they're clean and tight.

Guided_monkey
15th May 2008, 16:17
Hang on...... you were sold a dodgy rectifier/regulator and there policy is no returns???

I think you should go back and quote the Consumer Guarantee's Act.

All goods sold are covered by this, specifically the "fit for purpose".

Unless you have overloaded or damaged the unit.

They are not allowed by law to reject you're claim. Also it is the suppliers responsibility not the manufacturer.

:devil2:

HungusMaximist
20th May 2008, 20:08
Hang on...... you were sold a dodgy rectifier/regulator and there policy is no returns???

I think you should go back and quote the Consumer Guarantee's Act.

All goods sold are covered by this, specifically the "fit for purpose".

Unless you have overloaded or damaged the unit.

They are not allowed by law to reject you're claim. Also it is the suppliers responsibility not the manufacturer.

:devil2:

Fuck yea, get your money back, don't be a soft cock, issues like these needs to be addressed and plus $270 isn't small money!