PDA

View Full Version : To Motard or Not to Motard

Quasievil
28th April 2008, 12:32
That is the question!!

I had a go at racing and done shitloads of trackdays, but one of the highlights was having a crack on a motard, I had a smile from ear to ear, heaps of fun, and this coming from a guy who hated the frecking things throughout my brief F3 stint.
I sold my zx10 and only have my chook chasing KLR650 which I have had for 13000kms and love the back country scene, suits me nicely BUT I do miss the track. Ive considered another sports bike but nothing out there really gets me excited at the moment so I though I would try something completely different and get a Motard and trackday and maybe race it.

The bike Im looking at is a Husky SM 450R I can get it for a good price, 5 hours on the engine and its raced Wanganui and Paeroa this last year and is in top condition.

Im interested in your thoughts on Motards, ie maintenance tyres riding styles, learning curves and the bike itself, what ya all think ??

JMemonic
28th April 2008, 12:38
As one who has never raced and being honest probably never will that side of things I cant help with, however there is one thing I can say, what does everyone else's opinion matter really?

Its you that's going to ride it and race it, at the end of the day do you think you will enjoy it, or would you rather go back to say F3? Those are the only things that really matter aren't they?

kiwifruit
28th April 2008, 13:10
Do et!!! and giz a go :D

glice
28th April 2008, 14:03
if i had money id have a motard. everyone who iv spoken to who has one or riden one recomends them.

Mikkel
28th April 2008, 14:08
Go for it... Having one more bike can never be a bad thing!

slowpoke
28th April 2008, 17:32
Having had a Husaberg 650 I think you'd have to carefully choose the tracks or you'd be totally frustrated. The new half of Taupo would be ideal but I think you'd get the shits with it at any full circuit. Gearing up a 450 so as not to be topping out on virtually every straight is gonna result in less than stellar acceleration. If you are thinking of contesting proper Motard meets then thats obviously a different kettle of kippers with fit for purpose tracks meaning smiles for miles. Or street circuits...I reckon a motard would be awesome around most street circuits.

Maintenance wise they are intensive but 500 track km's is much further between drinks than 500 road km's so the oil and filter changes (only about 1 litre each time), valve clearance checks (??every 2000km's from memory??) etc aren't such an issue. They are soooo easy to work on too, with no fairings or multi-carbs, airbox's etc to faff around with when changing plugs etc.

Tyres last a long time with a machine boasting only 50-ish hp and propelling 120-ish kg's. Even with the awesome lean angles you'll be able to pull. Speaking of which, unless you are on a motard track a standard road racing style will be more consistent and effective than the motard heroics.

They are definitely amazing machines and Husky's are amongst the best of them but I maybe finding appropriate tracks to ride it at would be a difficulty if you aren't into the full on-motard style competition.

R6_kid
28th April 2008, 17:35
awesome fun, do it!

Sparky Bills
28th April 2008, 18:08
Mate,
You should consider the Race acedemy...
Your still young enough arent ya? :devil2:

scott411
28th April 2008, 18:28
motard are a blast to ride, and they are cheap to keep running as they are easy on tyres, do stuff all damage when you crash,
what slowpoke say about tracks is right, you need tight tracks, and the back straight at taupo main circuit gets a bit boring, the husqy has a 6 speed box (i think) so they are not to bad on gearing compared to the japanese 4 and 5 speed boxes,

best of all if you can get the std mx wheels, and do some trail riding as well,

they are so much fun to ride agaisnt each other, and other bikes when they let you, your riding style will come down to you background, if you do not want to put your leg out int he corner don't, you road race background will serve you well, you may have to get used to the ex mx boys not being afraid of rubbing and bumping, but most of it is over hyped anyway, it rarely happens, its just what you are used to,

CHOPPA
29th June 2008, 20:22
I just got a kxf450 motard today, think im gonna be the only one flying the kawasaki flag from what ive seen......

Can anyone suggest any modification? id like to know what size gearing to run??

Slipper clutch, exhaust and chuck away the shinko rubber is first on the cards

Quasievil
29th June 2008, 22:02
I just got a kxf450 motard today, think im gonna be the only one flying the kawasaki flag from what ive seen......

A what ? KFX is a ATV aint it???

Got a link ? didnt know Kawasaki did a motard ......Im all ears !!!

barty5
29th June 2008, 22:38

yup heard all about the good old shinko rubber.

barty5
29th June 2008, 22:45
A what ? KFX is a ATV aint it???

Got a link ? didnt know Kawasaki did a motard ......Im all ears !!!

they dont you buy the motox they buy the motard kit to fit heres links to the 2009 and 2008 model
or you could go same way with yamaha/honda etc etc

http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=KX450E9F&do=list

http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=KX450D8F&do=list

Big Dave
29th June 2008, 22:48
And ahhh, how well do you heal up these days quasi?

Quasievil
30th June 2008, 07:31
And ahhh, how well do you heal up these days quasi?

Still a bit slow for an old fella, but wont let that stop me to much

Quasievil
30th June 2008, 07:34
they dont you buy the motox they buy the motard kit to fit heres links to the 2009 and 2008 model
or you could go same way with yamaha/honda etc etc

http://http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=KX450E9F&do=list

http://http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=KX450D8F&do=list

Those links dont work but they look interesting

barty5
30th June 2008, 07:54
Those links dont work but they look interesting

have addjusted them so they work now.

NordieBoy
30th June 2008, 10:10
yup heard all about the good old shinko rubber.

Get some Shinko 003's

Denniso
5th September 2008, 20:25
Shuck Finko , I prefer tyres that stick .