PDA

View Full Version : Time for a mid-life crisis - I need your help

geoffm
28th April 2008, 20:38
Turning 40 this year, so if I don't get cracking, I won't have time for a mid life crisis. Can't afford a blonde, don't have space for a sports car, and already have (several) bikes...
I called by AMPS today, and they had a Triumph Sprint 1050 ST - 2k6 model but new and marked down from the current models. On paper there isn't much difference between them. Panniers are standard, although the BMW ones are bigger.
Anyone got any comments on them? I would be trading the Beemer in.
Geoff

JMemonic
28th April 2008, 20:54
Turning 40 this year, so if I don't get cracking, I won't have time for a mid life crisis. Apparently mid lif is 50 so you have a decade to go :niceone:

Can't afford a blonde,

Honest they don't all cost much, happy with mine

I called by AMPS today, and they had a Triumph Sprint 1050 ST - 2k6 model but new and marked down from the current models. On paper there isn't much difference between them. Panniers are standard, although the BMW ones are bigger.
Geoff

They look very nice and there was one on the floor where I got my bike from I so wanted to take it for a ride but I knew I would be too tempted to spend the extra, give it a try what's to loose in a test ride?

I must be honest though now I have the Duc I am very happy.

Padmei
28th April 2008, 21:07
from the look of all your bikes your life has been a series of crises:shifty:

Taz
28th April 2008, 21:09
Apparently mid lif is 50 so you have a decade to go :niceone:.

Mid life aint 50...... How many of us will live to 100??

GeoffM - Get the 2006 sprint you'll love it.

idb
28th April 2008, 21:10
My mid-life crisis started straight after my extended adolescent angst stage and is still going.
I'll probably head right into grumpy old bastard after this.

scumdog
28th April 2008, 21:16
I was born into a mid-life crisis ( must have been - I've always wanted a Harley)

And blondes are cheap (a bottle of blonde dye is only $15 or so).

Oh, and in reality you're about 10-15 years shy of the mythical 'Mid-Life-Crisis'.

Ixion
28th April 2008, 21:27
Turning 40 this year, so if I don't get cracking, I won't have time for a mid life crisis. Can't afford a blonde, don't have space for a sports car, and already have (several) bikes...
Geoff

Triumph ? S'got one of them chain things, ain't it.

And the indicator switches are funny. Got the left hand AND right hand switches both on the left handlebar. How deranged is that ?

cold comfort
28th April 2008, 21:55
Geoff

As a serious move away from the "pipe and slippers" ride the Sprint is serious fun,having test ridden one recently. Smooth power, great handling, and an awsome sound!

MaxB
28th April 2008, 22:00
Had an extended test ride when the 1050 first came out. Plusses: fit and finish, sharp handling, flexible motor, heaps of feedback. But try as I might the thing just did not fit me. It got too scrunched up especially on a longer trip. The motor had plenty of go but it was lacking aginst a Jap litre sports tourer. The nearest thing it reminded me of was the VFR800. The 955i motor version had less extreme styling.

Test ride one and see if it fits you.

Hitcher
28th April 2008, 22:01
Motorbikes aren't a mid-life crisis. They're a mid-life enhancement.

Dooly
29th April 2008, 12:08

I think that statement is one of the best things I've read here yet.

TimeOut
29th April 2008, 12:43
I think that statement is one of the best things I've read here yet.

Gotta agree with that:rockon:

MIXONE
29th April 2008, 12:52
I disagree.Bikes have enhanced my life since I could throw my leg over one.Fuck waiting for the mid life thingy.

slowpoke
29th April 2008, 13:07
Awwww c'mon man, this is a mid-life CRISIS we are talking about...so how does anything with panniers constitute a crisis? Far too sensible on so many levels....

If you can't afford a sports car you've got to at least buy a sports bike or you are just pretending.

I've just realised you are also thinking about a BMW, so who am I kidding, best get your bowls club membership sorted and start on knitting that cardigan fella.........

Goblin
29th April 2008, 13:13
I always thought the mid life crisis involved ditching the family, moving to Oz, buying a jet boat and getting some tattoos. :whistle:

007XX
29th April 2008, 14:02

So much truth in so very few words :love:

I always thought the mid life crisis involved ditching the family, moving to Oz, buying a jet boat and getting some tattoos. :whistle:

Are you telling me I have to wait that long to have some fun? <_<

I have never spoken to anyone who thought badly of the Triumph.
My advice: take it for a serious spin (couple of hours) and see if you have fun.

geoffm
29th April 2008, 19:42
Awwww c'mon man, this is a mid-life CRISIS we are talking about...so how does anything with panniers constitute a crisis? Far too sensible on so many levels....

If you can't afford a sports car you've got to at least buy a sports bike or you are just pretending.

I've just realised you are also thinking about a BMW, so who am I kidding, best get your bowls club membership sorted and start on knitting that cardigan fella.........

I tried a CBR1000R and GSXR1000 - I don't think my legs would take it. the R1 was better and a possible.
Thing is that I have a RG500 moneypit, which goes like snot if you give it heaps and gets an economical 25-28mpg, and a RD350 project with some Taymar/ Lindemere tuned stage 3 barrels and PWK28 flat slides to finish one day. Neither take passengers, and the Other Half might still have a say in it.

I already have a Beemer for that reason for the last 8 years. I miss the GSXR I had before, but the Beemer was the sensible choice. Primo for long trips, comfy, can take more luggage than a 3rd world scooter, reliable, economical and handles ok with some mods, and also heavy, underpowered and boring.
Geoff

Goblin
29th April 2008, 20:04
Are you telling me I have to wait that long to have some fun? <_<Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
It's 43 in Darwin! and there's too many Aussies there.
And tattoos hurt!
How much fun can speeding around a lake be? :confused:

Kickaha
29th April 2008, 20:06
I already have a Beemer, underpowered and boring.
Geoff

That can be fixed
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm

007XX
30th April 2008, 10:01
Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
It's 43 in Darwin! and there's too many Aussies there.
And tattoos hurt!
How much fun can speeding around a lake be? :confused:

I come from a tropical island...43 is the norm and I have to admit I miss it from time to time.
The Aussies I don't mind, it's all the creepy crawlies that give me the shits!

And as far as tattoos are concerned, I've got two so far, including one on my spine...they don't hurt so much as get a bit uncomfortable, especially if it is a big one with lots of colour...I'm working on my third one now, and will be my biggest one yet. I guess a certain part of me enjoys staunching through the pain. It's like an achievement!

Goblin
30th April 2008, 10:15
I come from a tropical island...43 is the norm and I have to admit I miss it from time to time.
The Aussies I don't mind, it's all the creepy crawlies that give me the shits! Hehe...The Aussies are the creepy crawlies. Im allowed to say that 'cos I have many rellies over there. :spudwave:

And as far as tattoos are concerned, I've got two so far, including one on my spine...they don't hurt so much as get a bit uncomfortable, especially if it is a big one with lots of colour...I'm working on my third one now, and will be my biggest one yet. I guess a certain part of me enjoys staunching through the pain. It's like an achievement!Yeah I got tattooed when I was young and dumb. Now I'm old an wrinkly it looks dull and wilted. Staunching through childbirth was a great achievement but Im not going there again! EVER!:baby:

007XX
30th April 2008, 10:33
Yeah I got tattooed when I was young and dumb. Now I'm old an wrinkly it looks dull and wilted. Staunching through childbirth was a great achievement but Im not going there again! EVER!:baby:

I'd much rather have tats than give birth...although I am not entirely dismissing going through that again :shifty:

Without wanting to sound like a staunch girl, I don't really mind the pain that much as long as I care about the result.

Guess I saw the Rambo movies too much in my childhood "Pain is your friend!" :lol:

Goblin
30th April 2008, 10:42
I'd much rather have tats than give birth...although I am not entirely dismissing going through that again :shifty:Good grief woman! Have you lost your mind? Have you forgotten about the nausea, getting up to pee several times a night, baby trying to kick your guts out your mouth, the dreaded labour, birth, the GRAZING! the shitty nappies and sleepless nights...the loss of freedom!?!? Sounds like the female midlife crisis has struck you early. Wait 'til the dreaded TEENAGE years hit and it's no longer fun.:(

slowpoke
30th April 2008, 10:53
I tried a CBR1000R and GSXR1000 - I don't think my legs would take it. the R1 was better and a possible.
Thing is that I have a RG500 moneypit, which goes like snot if you give it heaps and gets an economical 25-28mpg, and a RD350 project with some Taymar/ Lindemere tuned stage 3 barrels and PWK28 flat slides to finish one day. Neither take passengers, and the Other Half might still have a say in it.

I already have a Beemer for that reason for the last 8 years. I miss the GSXR I had before, but the Beemer was the sensible choice. Primo for long trips, comfy, can take more luggage than a 3rd world scooter, reliable, economical and handles ok with some mods, and also heavy, underpowered and boring.
Geoff

Yeah....Ok...(he said begrudguingly)...you've redeemed yourself with the RG/RZ combo.

As a cheap option have you considered a K1/K2 GSXR1000? My missus had one when we were in Oz and I found it to be very comfortable in comparison to the 954 'blade and 916 I had during it's tenure in our garage. For a sportsbike the seat/riding position was comfy, had good wind protection, and low down grunt that seems to have gone by the wayside with later sportsbikes. My lady didn't mind the pillion seat but I can't say we did long runs two up.

007XX
30th April 2008, 11:22
Good grief woman! Have you lost your mind? Have you forgotten about the nausea, getting up to pee several times a night, baby trying to kick your guts out your mouth, the dreaded labour, birth, the GRAZING! the shitty nappies and sleepless nights...the loss of freedom!?!? Sounds like the female midlife crisis has struck you early. Wait 'til the dreaded TEENAGE years hit and it's no longer fun.:(

You know what? It wasn't like that at all for me...I never got nausea, the whole pregnancy was fantasticly easy and uneventful, bub and I were so happy together, he was 2 weeks late and I have never felt healthier nor happier than when I was pregnant. The labour / birth was of course painful, but nothing that I couldn't handle, and I am not scared by it.

As far as the loss of freedom is concerned, yeah sure, it does do that, but I guess it is far outweighed by the sheer love and joy of having a little one. Admitedly, if I didn't have such a fantastic husband who does everything he can to help, I wouldn't be considering going through it again.

Teenage years? Yeah, they concern me a bit...my boy's 10 now, and he is as lovely as he was 5 years ago, lovelier even.
But should I ever have a girl, and she be anything like me, then I am in some serious trouble :crazy: :laugh:

My mid life crisis will have to wait...Bottom line, I figured that a mid life crisis is for people who lock themselves into a "no freedom, no fun, all work" lifestyle all their life, preparing for retirement...

Us, we work to feed our appetite for adventure and incorporate my son into it...He gets to discover so many things other kids don't even dream about, and we get to live life.

rat biker 08
30th April 2008, 18:57
Just buy a bike you get out and ride and say F.T.W thats whot i do

old git
30th April 2008, 19:33
The ONLY crisis starts when theres no bloody bike to have fun on !!!