PDA

View Full Version : annoying seat locks e.g. ZXR250

R6_kid
18th December 2004, 21:30
for all those out there with these shitty fuken locks, what have you done to resolve the problems theses badly designed things develop?

I am considering replacing the key turn system with bolt lock, and then using a pull string tucked under the rear subframe (above the hugger) so that i can ensure it opens with ease but is still relatively secure (atm the screw driver is doing a better job than the key)

カワサキキド
21st December 2004, 15:41
I'm going to remove the lock and fibreglass over the hole, there's not enough room to keep any thing more than half a sandwich under the seat anyway.

mini_me
21st December 2004, 16:52
I'm going to remove the lock and fibreglass over the hole, there's not enough room to keep any thing more than half a sandwich under the seat anyway.

and how are you going to get at your fuse box/battery afterwards?

SuperDave
21st December 2004, 17:05
I've had this problem as well, I still have not been able to open the lock on the seat for the FXR. I've given up, the key goes in but won't turn, I've tried putting pressure on the seat and all that but nothing works :pinch:

Hooks
21st December 2004, 17:26
I've just lifted the cable end out of the rotating disc at the back and tucked under the seat separator !! ... No one can see it and all I do is give it a pull and the seat's off !! :done: ...... I have my road tool-kit in the drawer there so it's handy to be able to access it at times as my bike is prone to losing bits or rattling things loose ..... :wacko:

カワサキキド
21st December 2004, 19:49
and how are you going to get at your fuse box/battery afterwards?
The same way I have been...a screwdriver.

Bonez
21st December 2004, 20:27
I have my road tool-kit in the drawer there so it's handy to be able to access it at times as my bike is prone to losing bits or rattling things loose ..... :wacko:Amen to locktite

aff-man
21st December 2004, 21:27
Okey the way i got into my zxr250 was simple. If you wanna open the seat you gotta lean on the front of it while turning the key. Dunno why but it worked everytime. No lean = no open. Stupid really :thud: :thud:

Jackrat
21st December 2004, 21:56
I'm relpacing the whole seat on my bike an those bloody seat an helmet locks are going to be chucked as far as I can chuck em.
I have to push,pull,lever,belt an swear heaps before my seat lock opens,an then it's a bastard to shut again.
Really looking forward to geting rid of the stupid looking stepped seat too.
Bloody factory customs :puke:
I mean how could it possibly be a custom if the factory made it. :doh:

Devil
22nd December 2004, 09:45
for all those out there with these shitty fuken locks, what have you done to resolve the problems theses badly designed things develop?

I am considering replacing the key turn system with bolt lock, and then using a pull string tucked under the rear subframe (above the hugger) so that i can ensure it opens with ease but is still relatively secure (atm the screw driver is doing a better job than the key)
Hows the ZXR running now? Getting anywhere with it?

vifferman
22nd December 2004, 10:17
I think it's usually a case of understanding how these Machiavelian devices work. Sort of a Zen thing...

Lubrication and proper adjustment are critical, but even so, there's still usually a knack to them: where you lean on the seat, when you pull on it, the position your tongue is in, phases of the moon, etc.
The VifFerraRi is weird: You unlock it, pull the lever down, and apparently nothing happens, but the seat lifts off readily.
FahrtSturm: had to pull the seat backwards while turning the key (which was under the tail-light, and easy to forget you'd left it in the lock). :blah:
FartySlutBeast: Worked normally, but required regular lubrication of the cable and latch mechanism.
VF500: Turn the key, the seat tilted up. Easily. :niceone:
Mutant: When I bought this, I very nearly ripped the seat off! :buggerd:
Tried and tried to get the farkin thing off. Turned out it was held on by a couple of bolts below the seat. Oops. :o
Apart from the battery, there was nothing under the seat anyway, so I probably only ever removed it once or twice.

R6_kid
22nd December 2004, 16:19
Hows the ZXR running now? Getting anywhere with it?

not looking to shabby, now have access to the tank thanks to the man at Armstrong Locksmiths in Barry's Point (good man and very well priced). Got fairings but going street (like the balius) until i can get a top fairing.

Im just paying off the debt from my accident (around $1850) then i'll be just need a chain and she'll be off to Ricky at Mt Eden for a service then off for a VIN and REGO and it'll be on the road from then... so probably looking at another $800 (go see spencer at Atomic for your O-ring chains)

:Offtopic: :Oops:

as for the seat dilema, all sorted, just put a pull wire down from the turn thing and its all sweet. Sits nicely just inside the fairing so unless you watched me do it you wouldnt know it was there... if you want to see how i've done it PM me and i'll send you the pics... dont want the world to know how to get into my underseat storage!

カワサキキド
23rd December 2004, 00:39
Whats the running cost so far?

avgas
23rd December 2004, 05:55
i dunno about there being no room under there, my RG could fit to 440ml woodys under the seat. But that bastard lock broke. Ripped it out and used the cable as a pull cable - worked better

R6_kid
23rd December 2004, 08:55
Whats the running cost so far?

not too bad, about $1500 and nearly in a totally road worthy condition, thats with custom chrome indicators that cost me $100. Im hoping the shop work wont cost too much coz thats where i'll get a kick in that pants :yes:

カワサキキド
23rd December 2004, 10:35
I replaced my rear ones with leds, and got rid of that big number plate and indicator mounting piece. Cost $46