PDA

View Full Version : Chain finally went...

Just beGiNing 250
29th April 2008, 23:22
After tightening it all the way over the weekend away to the east cape, the chain was still sagging. So I knew I needed a new one pretty fast but was waiting for payday.

Riding around coming back from lunch yesterday; just as I changed down for a corner... chunk... crunch .... eeeeeeeeee.... I stopped dead and the rear wheel was locked up. the chain mashed up the rear sprocket and the swing arm plate at the back along with shearing a few bolts. Anyway luckily Im insured with kiwibike(swann) and they sent out a truck in half an hour (well impressed) free of charge to drop me up to holeshot. So I should get the bike back tomorrow and relieve myself of 360bucks in the process:crybaby: (for new sprockets and good chain)

Holeshot were great tho, gave me a replacement 250 intruder. Cruisers are great to ride! checked the tank and there was loads of petrol so I went on a big ride after work :lol: . So easy to throw around the corners but not as much go as the bandit obviously. But I definitely wont be overlooking cruiser straight away in the future. Had to leave it back today and they gave me a GN instead, hmmm I miss my bandit.

McDuck
30th April 2008, 00:04
Were you riding it like thechain was about to snap?

Just beGiNing 250
30th April 2008, 00:16
I was just riding normally. Was only doing about 40kph, I'd say, when it happened. Shouldve got it fixed before this happened tho.
Good thing it didnt happen on the harbour bridge or over the weekend.

McDuck
30th April 2008, 00:28
I guess it is one of those it could go in the next meter or in 200kms, ya just dont know.

fireball
30th April 2008, 00:34
Not trying to have a go but i rode from welli to whakatane with a similarly poor chain.

not having a go, but that is stupid, gloating over i did more than you......

McDuck
30th April 2008, 00:39
not having a go, but that is stupid, gloating over i did more than you......

fair point...

MaxB
30th April 2008, 01:26
Main thing is that you are OK.

The only question is will you leave it so late next time?

McDuck
30th April 2008, 01:30
Main thing is that you are OK.

The only question is will you leave it so late next time?

Yea it seems like you dontknow when that sort of thing will go, best to not test it.

skidMark
30th April 2008, 02:38
Get a Harley, or Buell.

Belt drive FTW

Forest
30th April 2008, 04:21
Get a Harley, or Buell.

Belt drive FTW

Belts have their problems. The classic one is when a stone gets between the belt and the sprocket - it will tear right through the belt.

So the correct answer is ... get shafted.

YellowDog
30th April 2008, 04:40
Hey, the Boulevard range are shaft driven!

A nice little 1800cc M109 could be the answer?

HungusMaximist
30th April 2008, 07:08
I do have to say, you're a lucky bastard.

Imagined if it happened when you were pinning it through some twisties!

Good thing you're OK brother, now next time play it safe with maintenance cause your life depends on it (especially on a motorbike!)

YellowDog
30th April 2008, 07:34
I do have to say, you're a lucky bastard.

Imagined if it happened when you were pinning it through some twisties!

Good thing you're OK brother, now next time play it safe with maintenance cause your life depends on it (especially on a motorbike!)
Agreed, he was very lucky indeed!

Nasty
30th April 2008, 07:44
...Good thing you're OK brother, now next time play it safe with maintenance cause your life depends on it (especially on a motorbike!)

Your bike is what you rely on keeping you alive ... why not maintain it like that ....:(

scumdog
30th April 2008, 08:17
Get a Harley, or Buell.

Belt drive FTW

Harley and Buell make 250's?????

CookMySock
30th April 2008, 08:30
I do have to say, you're a lucky bastard. hrm, thats not lucky, its dumb. If he came off he could hurt someone else, especially if this was a group ride. Saying "its ok because I have insurance" isn't good enough, because now all the responsible people pay for his lack of maintenance.

I would be very wary of riding with someone who did this. Sorry, but its true.

DB

gunnyrob
30th April 2008, 08:42
You're bloody lucky it didn't let go way out in the wops over the weekend!

Way back in the olden days I threw a chain on the GPX 750 just out of Te Anau on a Saturday afternoon. I was fully loaded up with touring gear & missus, back wheel locked up & the chain knocked a chunk out of the engine. We were stranded in town till the Monday Arvo while a chain got couriered up from Invercargill, & luckily it hadn't penetrated the engine casing itself.

I had purely underestimated how many Kms we would do on the tour de South.

One of the reasons why I only considered BMWs & Buells when upgrading.....

Ixion
30th April 2008, 10:37
Harley and Buell make 250's?????

Harley have in the past. So have BMW.

Ixion
30th April 2008, 10:41
Y...

One of the reasons why I only considered BMWs & Buells when upgrading.....

??? Moto-cuzzy? FJR1300 ? Kawasucky Concourse thingy ? Goldwings ? Harleys ? Probably a few others too that escaped the curse of the chain.

scumdog
30th April 2008, 10:45
Harley have in the past. So have BMW.

Hmm, I beleive SM was talking of the relatively present - and he never mentiond BMW in the post I was refering to.

Ixion
30th April 2008, 10:49
I *was* talking relative present! Way post war. The BMW came in because they too don't snap chains! (And OP requires a 250) .

scumdog
30th April 2008, 10:52
I *was* talking relative present! Way post war. The BMW came in because they too don't snap chains! (And OP requires a 250) .

Wheezing Eytalian two-strokes are not (I suspect) what SM was meaning!!

Just beGiNing 250
2nd May 2008, 12:44
hrm, thats not lucky, its dumb... ...his lack of maintenance.

DB

Yeah well Im new to motorbikes and the maintenance, its not something I'll let happen again

Saying "its ok because I have insurance" isn't good enough, because now all the responsible people pay ...

DB

I didnt say its okay because I had insurance, the insurance didnt pay for the repairs. I was praising the insurance company im with, because they have a free tow service, thats all.