PDA

View Full Version : WAAAAAAA: Sucker for sad eyes

Trudes
30th April 2008, 21:44
Has anyone else noticed the WSPA ads that have been playing just about every ad break on especially TV2 the last few days??

I have, I watched it the first time and felt sad. Saw it a second time and felt sadder. Saw it a third time and just about cried. Saw it the fourth time and logged onto their website and signed us up to donate every month.

Advertising; repetition; poor hurt, sick and abused animals and sad sad eyes work.

Here's the website (http://www.wspa.org.au/about.asp) if anyone else would like to see the work these people do to help animals and maybe donate some money to help.

jrandom
30th April 2008, 21:51
humans who need help here]

Laava
30th April 2008, 21:54
I break down everytime I see, and have to hear, that poor crash test dummy being dragged along on its fingernails toward certain doom!

Trudes
30th April 2008, 21:55
Go for it, I've donated money to Save the Children and shit too. [insert my ideas that people can generally help themselves and there are tons of organisations that help people] But personally, the sight of animals suffering due to the things humans do to them for no good reason tugs at my heart-strings more than human misery does..... call me heart-less if you like.

jrandom
30th April 2008, 21:58
Go for it, I've donated money to Save the Children and shit too.

Er, I imagine they were grateful for the money...

:confused:

Trudes
30th April 2008, 22:09
So they should be!!:laugh:
Do you need some help jrandom? I don't see many people around here that need help. If you've got the internet you're doing ok in my book.

Mom
30th April 2008, 22:13
Here's the url "http://www.wspa.org.au/about.asp"]website[/URL] if anyone else would like to see the work these people do to help animals and maybe donate some money to help.

Good for you girl! As the years have passed I have become sadly immune to appeals for money. Heaven help me if I gave to every cause that tugged at my heart/conscience. I would be bankrupt 10 times over and then some.

WSPA do a good job, as do so many organisations. Dont listen to the knockers mate, take the good feeling you have right now and file it away for later.

I hope the money you donate to them goes to saving the Bears etc and not to funding their next series of TV advertisements.

Trudes
30th April 2008, 22:18
Thanks Mom, I hope you're right. I try to donate to charities that I feel do a good job and hold some soft spot in my heart.. SPCA, Hospice etc.
I looked into what you have to do to volunteer too, but it seems all the work is done overseas and the SPCA is the closest you get in NZ to be able to hands on help... so should really get my arse into gear and go and volunteer at least once a month or something at the local SPCA.

jrandom
30th April 2008, 22:27
Do you need some help jrandom?

I'm fine!

Actually, I found myself reaching for the phone during that WSPA ad too.

georgie
30th April 2008, 22:38
I'm fine!

awww, bless, he does have a heart after all :hug:

avgas
30th April 2008, 22:42
With the price of petrol WSPA have been finding it hard to mantain their fleet of Land Rovers they replace every 6 months. This with the accumulating costs of management, accounts, marketing and middle management. WSPA have found it hard to get ANY money to the animals.
Don't believe me - Google it.

jrandom
30th April 2008, 22:49
With the price of petrol WSPA have been finding it hard to mantain their fleet of Land Rovers they replace every 6 months. This with the accumulating costs of management, accounts, marketing and middle management. WSPA have found it hard to get ANY money to the animals.
Don't believe me - Google it.

Google what, exactly? I trawled around for a minute or two and couldn't find any information suggesting that WSPA use their funds inefficiently.

Why don't you just link us?

Trudes
1st May 2008, 07:09
I'm fine!

Go on, I know you want to:hug:

Oh, and just incase anyone thinks I'm being a marta.... the point of this thread was not for me to go "Look, aren't I a nice person, I donated money to a charity", it was to raise awareness and hopefully spur a few more people into donating some cash or time to a charity or organisation they feel strongly about. Cheers.

slowpoke
1st May 2008, 07:28
Good onya luv! Rest assured WSPA do a huge amount of good work. As you said: people can speak for/help themselves, whereas animals are at the mercy of the fucked up human race.

buellbabe
1st May 2008, 07:42
Yep Mrs Kendog I have seen them, well actually I haven't cos I avert my eyes when they come on. It kills me to see animals suffering. Sure I also feel for human victims but for me cruelty towards animals is even worse cos we humans are considered to be 'enlightened'. Supposedly the fact that we have a conscience and a soul is what separates us from 'lower forms of life'. I say supposedly because it seems to me that its humans who are the real low-lifes.
And if putting the needs of animals before humans makes me a heartless bitch then so be it. We humans are responsible for their plight so we should get off our asses and do something to help.
And BTW, I do donate to both the SPCA and the WSPA.

Mike748
1st May 2008, 07:48
I'm sure WSPA do a good job, we could even still be donating for all I know. but .........
I disagree with their guilt trip, "we won't show you" then they do advertising.

Big Dan
1st May 2008, 08:31
Good on you MrsKendog i had been debating with myself weather to do a thread on this and you bet me to it but well done when i watch theses adds i don't see the end cause i switch channels cause its too distressing to watch i've signed and make donations like yourself

Us humans have alot to answer for

PrincessBandit
1st May 2008, 08:53
... [insert my ideas that people can generally help themselves and there are tons of organisations that help people] But personally, the sight of animals suffering due to the things humans do to them for no good reason tugs at my heart-strings more than human misery does..... call me heart-less if you like.

Yep Mrs Kendog I have seen them, well actually I haven't cos I avert my eyes when they come on. It kills me to see animals suffering. Sure I also feel for human victims but for me cruelty towards animals is even worse cos we humans are considered to be 'enlightened'. ...

I'm with you two! Yes I feel for suffering people but it is suffering animals and cruelty that's inflicted on them by humans that really rip me up too. Yes, it goes without saying, that "nature" can be seen to be cruel (survival of the fittest, and all that) but that is part of the natural order of things. [Let's not go down the path that will get this moved to PD religious ravings]. Humans just seem to be masters of inflicting misery and pain, often for no other purpose than their own selfishness, sick entertainment, or just because they have the power to do so. :weep:

vifferman
1st May 2008, 09:01
I change channels whenever the WSPA ads come on - which is every friggin' ad break!
I love animals, but the ads make me angry at the heartless bastards that maltreat them, and annoyed at WSPA, rather than wanting to donate. I already waste too much money by donating to This That And The Other and not claiming it off my tax. I would donate some money to fund bullets to shoot some of the arseholes that treat animals this way, though.

BTW - a household discussion plucked the answer "Doubt it" out of our collective arses in respect to the question, "Do charities get free/cheap TV advertising?", so I wunner how much money gets sucked up by expensive TV ads repeated ad nauseum? Yes, I *know* this doesn't absolve me from the 'crime' of not helping these poor, pathetic animals, but so what? I have a choice, don't I? And is it responsible to ignore my current financial commitments and give into WSPA's blatant manipulation / pressure tactics?

Fuck 'em, I say. And their animals. They're probably all just midget actors in hired animal costumes anyway.

Roll on the red rep - I haven't had any for... well, FOREVER.

Mully
1st May 2008, 11:43
I love animals,

BTW - a household discussion plucked the answer "Doubt it" out of our collective arses in respect to the question, "Do charities get free/cheap TV advertising?",

I love animals too. Delicious animals.

Do they not get free advertising, or are you guessing?? I had often wondered this. I would have thought TVNZ and the like could claim a tax deduction for the "value" of the ad as a charitable donation.

We donate to Moon Bears, cos Moon bears rock. I am considering getting my sisters kid's chickens and stuff for Xmas this year (where you buy in their name, and they are given to needy families in Africa) cos I'm thinking it might give them a much needed lesson in the dangers of materialism