PDA

View Full Version : SV 1000 v VTR 1000

SuperSonic
30th April 2008, 22:24
I am now in the market for a replacement to my beloved VFR 800. Thinking of these two bikes. I like the look of the SV been a more upto date look, with better brakes, but does it last like the VTR? Who as had both and which did you like the best? :clap: Any comments will be great thank you very much.
Cheers
Supersonic

yod
30th April 2008, 22:39
i know one thing, if you're not gentle with a VTR you can empty its tank in well under 200km

jafar
30th April 2008, 22:42
i know one thing, if you're not gentle with a VTR you can empty its tank in well under 200km

& the Suzuki would be any better ??:argh:

homer
30th April 2008, 22:42
water pump seal will pack up on the sv .
the vtr will be a better bike
so long as you dont mind looking a bit ....ghey

yod
30th April 2008, 22:48
& the Suzuki would be any better ??:argh:

oh no, not my point at all

i have no experience with the SV - i just know a guy with a VTR

we both filled up in Ngatea, i made it to turangi with a couple of litres to spare

he filled up in putaruru and still ran dry about 20km short of turangi

but thats a big twin for ya

(and the tank isnt that big)

The Stranger
30th April 2008, 22:48
Have you ridden either?
Personally I would go for the VFR over either the SV or VTR.

skelstar
1st May 2008, 00:49
Talk to Fatjim, hes has/had both. Think he prefers the SV but tech rates the CB900 Hornet over both and he doesn't seem to muck around.

vifferman
1st May 2008, 09:08
See my post in your other thread. VFR800 is more betterer than the VTR (I've owned both, and ridden lots of both models), and I reckon the SV would be better than the VTR, even though I've never ridden one.
Yeah, I'm a traitor to Honda, but "Fuck'em!", I say.

It's my word of the day, for some reason. Mebbe it's the weather. Or the whether. Of that horrible bedraggled wether. Hoo nose....

Pwalo
1st May 2008, 09:11
You'll just have to get a ride on each of them, and see what suits you best.

geoffc
1st May 2008, 09:32
I have the VTR1000F, my riding mate the SV1000. Both good bikes but VTR1000 would be my strong preference. If you are considering the naked version SV1000, the wind blast over 100km/hr becomes an issue (for me) on longer trips not forgetting a less comfortable seat.
His bike is reving higher with 5 not 6 gears when cruising. Test ride them both and you decide. Happy riding.

avgas
1st May 2008, 09:32
I feel sorry for the VTR - there is nothing wrong with it. But at the same time i feel it was the ignored son of honda. They just bolted parts together when making it, no effort involved. Then they didn't bother to upgrade it as the years went on.
That being said buy the SV - it has clean lines, good motor, good sound and enough trick parts to make boy racers jealous.

Fatjim
1st May 2008, 16:13
If you're going to do the k's I'd buy the VTR. Spend some money of the front forks and the shock, get some sintered pads and some loud cans.

You'd have to do the same for the SV anyway, but the VTR will last longer.

In my opinion the VTR pisses all over the SV in terms of

engine smoothness
comfort
reliability
service intervals
clutch
tank milage
finish

98tls
1st May 2008, 22:11
There both fuckin ugly but after many bikes in my time after riding a mates SV i can say that it would have to be the most uncomfortable way to spend time on 2 wheels i ever come across.

Mort
2nd May 2008, 00:28
I'd say you be disappointed with both of these bikes after the VFR. Both are built to a price and neither has the good design of the VFR.

I've had a VTR - the engine is good but its a poorly designed bike. Tank range is crap. Its front suspension is crap. Brakes are average (I had to upgrade mine). It looks shite. I could never get on with the way it steered and hated the back wheel locking when I changed down on the brakes... Whilst I had the VTR (2 years) I bought a CBR600 and I never rode the VTR again... I traded it for a 929 Blade... The difference between these 2 bikes and the VTR was huge. Honda can make good bikes but the VTR isn't one of them...

98tls
2nd May 2008, 00:42
I'd say you be disappointed with both of these bikes after the VFR. Both are built to a price and neither has the good design of the VFR.

I've had a VTR - the engine is good but its a poorly designed bike. Tank range is crap. Its front suspension is crap. Brakes are average (I had to upgrade mine). It looks shite. I could never get on with the way it steered and hated the back wheel locking when I changed down on the brakes... Whilst I had the VTR (2 years) I bought a CBR600 and I never rode the VTR again... I traded it for a 929 Blade... The difference between these 2 bikes and the VTR was huge. Honda can make good bikes but the VTR isn't one of them... :laugh::laugh::laugh:I dislike VTRs myself but for someone who "hated the back wheel locking when i changed down on the brakes" to say that a VTR isnt a good motorcycle is quite a statement.All its suspenders are crap but easily fixed,tank range in the first ones was sad but once again easily fixed..which Honda themselves did.Yes theres a huge difference between the 3 bikes you mention....go figure.Elighten as to why you changed the brakes?

arj127
2nd May 2008, 06:43
but does it last like the VTR?

for lasting abilities, check out the one that was/is on trade me. Travelled 160000km in only two and a half years, with normal servicing. Thats reliability

HungusMaximist
2nd May 2008, 07:04
SP-1?

I am hoping the SP-1 is surely better than the VTR.

Anybody like to comment, if they've ridden it that is.

nallac
2nd May 2008, 07:15
for lasting abilities, check out the one that was/is on trade me. Travelled 160000km in only two and a half years, with normal servicing. Thats reliability

I saw that on there ,
23 services......with his asking price
he'll be lucky to recoup the service costs let alone buying the bike
or tyres.
i wonder how many tyres he's gone thru?.
one dedicated rider.

arj127
2nd May 2008, 07:27
yes, sounded like he had other bikes aswell

DVS 69
2nd May 2008, 11:34
I have to say what a crock i have a vtr and have never had the rear lock up while downshifting, of course its gunna lock if you downshift and dont have any throttle on:jerry:, i think the trick is to match your downshift with a few revs so it doesnt pretty basic stuff really:msn-wink:. What i hate about vtrf owners is they ride like pussys well most ive seen. I brought mine new in 2004 and have never had a single problem with it. There is sum flex in the bike, mainly due to the swing arm bolting thru the engine block, the choice for me was easy as the sv's i think are ugly and when i buy a bike i think you gotta like the look of it, aswell as does it fit the bill for what you wanna do with it. SP1 is a wicked bike i thought but crap if your riding thru town, i was thinking while riding it that it would be a huge mission doing the speed limit either in town or out on the open road, they really do haul, i know you can get GSXR's that haul but ya gotta get the power to the road, and a twin does that really well. I will agree tho the vtr's are bloody thirsty but as expected with 48mm carbs and ive gone down a tooth on the front sprocket, its never been a issue for me tho as i arnt the type to ride it and expect 250'ks out of a tank, maybe with the sv being injected it would be more eco friendly. Ive had a V4 and i thought the engine was awesum kinda abit of everything revs, bottom end good, mid good and good up high too. Well anyway thats my 50 cents worth, dont mean to offend any1 with any of my comments but no doubt will have ........ :Oi:

Morcs
2nd May 2008, 12:36
There both fuckin ugly but after many bikes in my time after riding a mates SV i can say that it would have to be the most uncomfortable way to spend time on 2 wheels i ever come across.

Not to mention most boring too...

vifferman
2nd May 2008, 12:41
Well anyway thats my 50 cents worth.
Actually, DVS 69, that's a pretty good summary, and reflects what I thought of the VTR. :niceone:

The only thing I will add to the comments is that the VTRs have crap camchain tensioners. If you do buy one, the CCT thing is easily rectified though, by buying and fitting some APE manual tensioners.
The one I owned had lunched two valves when the front CCT spring let go, the camchain jumped the cam sprockets and the valves and head said :buggerd: you to each other....

I'd love another v-twin, but it wouldn't be a VTR: it's too ugly and too agricultural. Fun to ride, but not as good as a VFR.

sinned
2nd May 2008, 12:58
I am now in the market for a replacement to my beloved VFR 800. Thinking of these two bikes. I like the look of the SV been a more upto date look, with better brakes, but does it last like the VTR? Who as had both and which did you like the best? :clap: Any comments will be great thank you very much.
Cheers
Supersonic

Are you aware that the smooth power delivery at lower revs, as used in 50kph areas, you enjoy with the VFR will be gone with the change to the SV. I found the SV hard work in 50kph areas. If you ride a lot in 50kph this is something to consider. Ride them is the answer. I don't regret the change I made from an SV1000s.

DVS 69
2nd May 2008, 13:27
Vifferman ..... Thats a good idea, are the manual camchian tensioners expensive ?? Where would i get one ? How many k's had yours done before it :buggerd: the valves ? Ive had mine since new and im coming up to 30,000k's (probibly less actualy as the gearing has thrown it out wack in regard to speedo and k's)

mowgli
2nd May 2008, 18:19
Has anyone here put bungs on their VTR thou? Has anyone tried Ozy Nobs?

http://www.bikebling.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=212

Pumba
2nd May 2008, 22:13
Not to mention most boring too...

Well now you have got a chook chaser I will have to "borrow" the TL and see what you are on about:scooter::blip:

I found the SV hard work in 50kph areas. If you ride a lot in 50kph this is something to consider.

I rode mine for over a year comuting within 50kph areas and I never seemed to have a problem.

SuperSonic to be honest it is different strokes for different fokes. I LOVED my SV, the only reason I got rid of it was because a women in a car decided I did not really need it any more, and I am seriously considering replacing it with another SV.

Get out there test ride both and see what you like, there are so many good deals, and good bikes out there at the moment just see what takes your fancey.

SuperSonic
2nd May 2008, 22:45
Well now you have got a chook chaser I will have to "borrow" the TL and see what you are on about:scooter::blip:

I rode mine for over a year comuting within 50kph areas and I never seemed to have a problem.

SuperSonic to be honest it is different strokes for different fokes. I LOVED my SV, the only reason I got rid of it was because a women in a car decided I did not really need it any more, and I am seriously considering replacing it with another SV.

Get out there test ride both and see what you like, there are so many good deals, and good bikes out there at the moment just see what takes your fancey.

Thanks I think this sums it up best, will do.

And a super BIG thank you to all for your input, it has been amazing reading yor views on the two bikes. I have taking the VTR and SV out now and at the mo the SV is in front due to looks and better brakes. Stopping is a good thing yeah?? The motors are much a muchness, the reliability thing was on my mind abit, but with the comments about 160000k wow thats massive in 3 years that speaks for the bike in a big way. So thanks to all. Spot ya on the road soon.:devil2::chase:

yod
2nd May 2008, 22:54
Are you aware that the smooth power delivery at lower revs, as used in 50kph areas, you enjoy with the VFR will be gone with the change to the SV. I found the SV hard work in 50kph areas. If you ride a lot in 50kph this is something to consider. Ride them is the answer. I don't regret the change I made from an SV1000s.

valid points here

how about a triple?? look at a daytona 955

AllanB
2nd May 2008, 23:01
I'd buy the Honda 919 Hornet ....... wait I did :yes::yes::yes:

nallac
3rd May 2008, 07:56
I'd buy the Honda 919 Hornet ....... wait I did :yes::yes::yes:

me to.....

but out of VTR vs SV i'd go for the SV looks sooooo much better...

dipshit
3rd May 2008, 16:17
I like the look of the SV been a more upto date look, with better brakes

Then that's the one you should get. Why? Because a bike that does it for you, will be the one you will be more happy to spend some time and TLC on personalising getting to fit like a glove.

Don't purchase a bike based on other people's opinions from a internet forum. People with VTR's will naturally say they are better than SV's. People with SV's will naturally say they are better than VTR's. And of course people with TL's will say they are better than SV's and VTR's.

banditb12
3rd May 2008, 16:56
Funny that,TLs are better than both of them and look great.:jerry:

Squiggles
3rd May 2008, 19:48
Go the TLS

mowgli
3rd May 2008, 19:54

Same is true of my mate's TL and probably the SV thou aswell. But then guys don't buy litre bikes because they're worried about the environment ;)

Animal
4th May 2008, 00:29
Cheers
Supersonic

G'day SuperSonic,

Sorry about your last ride. Glad you're okay though.

I had a TL1000S, followed by another TL1000S which incorporated all manner of TL1000R parts (bought as a wreck in Queensland), such as the entire engine and most of the front end. I also spent a bit of money in replacing the rear suspension with a kit I sourced in the US which replaced that stupid bloody damper that Suzuki came up with on what I presume was a hungover Monday morning. After not much effort, it was an awesome bike, devoid of all the early TL handling quirks, and the better clutch and donk that the TLR donated. The Summit Road was my playground then too!

Get in touch with imdying. He's done some amazing things with his SV.

Cheers,

Animal

yod
4th May 2008, 01:20
Same is true of my mate's TL and probably the SV thou aswell. But then guys don't buy litre bikes because they're worried about the environment ;)

well true but having a decent range is a factor for some

my last bike was 937cc with a 21litre tank - good for almost 400km, even if you gave it a handful - big difference over a 17litre that you get 170km out of

Morcs
4th May 2008, 20:49

No worries. just drive over with ya gears one day :)

SuperSonic
6th May 2008, 21:32
Then that's the one you should get. Why? Because a bike that does it for you, will be the one you will be more happy to spend some time and TLC on personalising getting to fit like a glove.

Don't purchase a bike based on other people's opinions from a internet forum. People with VTR's will naturally say they are better than SV's. People with SV's will naturally say they are better than VTR's. And of course people with TL's will say they are better than SV's and VTR's.

So ture, and thats why I posted too, to see what the VTR people would say about the SV and how good their bike is over the SV, and VV too.

And I did buy the bike that does it for me too, The SV 1000 does it more than the VTR, also the VTR is finished with, Honda in their great wisdom have stop making the VTR.

So Thank you to all for you import it was awesome.:Punk::first:

SuperSonic
6th May 2008, 21:41
G'day SuperSonic,

Sorry about your last ride. Glad you're okay though.

I had a TL1000S, followed by another TL1000S which incorporated all manner of TL1000R parts (bought as a wreck in Queensland), such as the entire engine and most of the front end. I also spent a bit of money in replacing the rear suspension with a kit I sourced in the US which replaced that stupid bloody damper that Suzuki came up with on what I presume was a hungover Monday morning. After not much effort, it was an awesome bike, devoid of all the early TL handling quirks, and the better clutch and donk that the TLR donated. The Summit Road was my playground then too!

Get in touch with imdying. He's done some amazing things with his SV.

Cheers,

Animal

Wow Animal you live in Perth? My Mum lives in Kal not far from you ha 6 plus hrs not far. You must be the only Kiwibiker out side on NZ??
Thanks for that, will do on imdying, not sure if he still has a SV, as the only bike I see him on is a luckly strike suzuki 250?

vifferman
7th May 2008, 09:52
The SV 1000 does it more than the VTR, also the VTR is finished with, Honda in their great wisdom have stop making the VTR.
Congratulations, SuperSonic! I hope you really enjoy your new ride. :niceone:

imdying
7th May 2008, 10:08
And I did buy the bike that does it for me too, The SV 1000 does it more than the VTR, also the VTR is finished with, Honda in their great wisdom have stop making the VTR.SV1000 is finished with too, the 08 bikes are 07 run outs.

dutchman49
7th May 2008, 10:27
Cheers
Supersonic

It really depends on what you are looking for in a bike. If you want a reliable smooth quickenough sports tourer then stick with your VFR. If you want to have a ton of fun then get the SV with aftermarket mufflers. I had one for 29000kms and loved it. (Did nothing but oil changes, tyres and brake pads) Quick enough and very inexpensive. Fuel consumption is way better than the VTR. However the VTR is far more comfortable, with more upright bars and better positioned footpegs. Makes a difference when you do 500+ ks in a day. If it is "cool" you are looking for then try and find a good TL. Would leave the VFR, VTR and SV for dead...in that order. My advice is to stick with your VFR.

dipshit
7th May 2008, 13:14
However the VTR is far more comfortable, with more upright bars and better positioned footpegs. Makes a difference when you do 500+ ks in a day.

There are plenty of options for raising the position of the hand grips on a SV. High-rise clip-ons, fitting handlebars, or as in my case moving the standard clip-ons up above the top fork yoke. (see my profile pic)

That and a few wee other simple mods has made it feel quite different from showroom condition and have no problems with doing 500 Ks or so a day.

imdying
7th May 2008, 13:51
There are plenty of options for raising the position of the hand grips on a SV. High-rise clip-ons, fitting handlebars, or as in my case moving the standard clip-ons up above the top fork yoke. (see my profile pic)The front guard is awfully close to the radiator with the forks at their regular location, have you had any trouble with that mod? Did you have to raise the forks much to get enough area to secure the clip on to?

dipshit
7th May 2008, 14:04
The front guard is awfully close to the radiator with the forks at their regular location, have you had any trouble with that mod? Did you have to raise the forks much to get enough area to secure the clip on to?

I haven't had any problems with anything touching or bottoming out after 10,000 ks since doing it. I had to raise the forks up 15 mm, but compensated about half of that by winding the preload completely down. Someone else who did this mod, didn't compensate with the preload and did indeed have contact with the radiator.

See this for more details... (I'm kiwi2000)
www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969

dutchman49
7th May 2008, 14:22
I haven't had any problems with anything touching or bottoming out after 10,000 ks since doing it. I had to raise forks up 15 mm, but compensated about half of that by winding the preload completely down. Someone else who did this mod, didn't compensate with the preload and did indeed have contact with the radiator.

See this for more details... (I'm kiwi2000)
www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969

For a "dipshit" you da man!!!! There aint no good TLs left, so if you want a man's bike then buy the SV. You wont reget it. A quote from a very good friend of mine and a biker from way back....."I would rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda"

Frankv '08

imdying
7th May 2008, 14:30
I haven't had any problems with anything touching or bottoming out after 10,000 ks since doing it. I had to raise the forks up 15 mm, but compensated about half of that by winding the preload completely down. Someone else who did this mod, didn't compensate with the preload and did indeed have contact with the radiator.Nice :) Definitely something to watch out for... hope they build a 60 degree twin next :yes:

rocketman1
7th May 2008, 18:37
Mate ride both & decide, apparently the VTR has crap front suspension and the cam chain and tensioners can give problems. The earlier SVs where known to have some teething problems too.
The SV with the Fuel injection is a more versatile bike, and definitley has the advantage over the VTR with fuel consumption, but saying that use all the power on the SV and it will drink like a fish too.
SV has the slipper style 6 speed gearbox, fully adjustable suspension,
the VTR is 5 speed and partial adjustment.

The fuel injection, and 6 speed box, an better fuel consumption (for sure) sealed SV for me.
Plus it looks a bit more modern the VTR had a slightly better seating posn in my opinion, and is still an all round great bike
If you buy a SV put Yoshi mufflers on it, the original mufflers should not be allowed all that beautiful sound muffled. (its a hanging offence)

mowgli
7th May 2008, 21:58
Mate ride both & decide, apparently the VTR has crap front suspension and the cam chain and tensioners can give problems. The earlier SVs where known to have some teething problems too.
The SV with the Fuel injection is a more versatile bike, and definitley has the advantage over the VTR with fuel consumption, but saying that use all the power on the SV and it will drink like a fish too.

The fuel injection, and 6 speed box, an better fuel consumption (for sure) sealed SV for me.
Not sure which year VTR you're referring to but my 02 has a 6-speed box and adjustable suspension front and rear. Carbs yes but I see that as a plus. FI can be more fuel efficient but it can also be less forgiving traction-wise if you're harsh with the throttle.

I considered the SV and VTR pretty even from a technical standpoint. I chose the VTR on comfort and looks. Each to his own I say. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose.

Animal
8th May 2008, 04:57
Wow Animal you live in Perth? My Mum lives in Kal not far from you ha 6 plus hrs not far. You must be the only Kiwibiker out side on NZ??
Thanks for that, will do on imdying, not sure if he still has a SV, as the only bike I see him on is a luckly strike suzuki 250?

Congrats on the new ride - that's just bloody awesome!

Nah, there's a growing number of Kiwis now living on the West Island. Click on the Members List and scroll through a few pages. I'm not planning on staying out here in this dustbowl. I'm hoping to be back in Christchurch in a few months. I haven't ridden out to Kalgoorlie, but have flown out there a number of times (business not pleasure).

imdying will NEVER get rid of his SV! He's put so much work into that bike that they'll probably have to bury him with it when he carks! pm him and pay the guy a visit. For an IT geek, he's done some pretty clever mechanical stuff.

munterk6
11th May 2008, 10:49
Flag the V-twins, do ya self a favour buy a GSX-R....nuff said. :beer:

Fatjim
11th May 2008, 11:27

Plus it looks a bit more modern the VTR had a slightly better seating posn in my opinion, and is still an all round great bike
If you buy a SV put Yoshi mufflers on it, the original mufflers should not be allowed all that beautiful sound muffled. (its a hanging offence)

The VTR has better fuel consumption, range, comfort, clutch, gearbox, reliability, finish and does backfires real good.

The VTR was meant to have fuelling problems, like stalling at lights, but in almost 70,000k's I never experienced it, nor did I ever have to adjust the carbs. The SV with about 9,000 k's does it all the time, I have mates who have to get the idle adjusted. Mine always stalls when cold, can not handle an closing throttle without stalling.

The VTR also had on early version faults on the CCT's and the Reg/regulator. Both of these problems were addressed in newer versions. The rate of CCT failure on post 2001 bikes is very low. I do not now of anyone myself who has had a failure. The newer parts fit the older bikes.

The best you know is the best you've ridden. I've ridden both.

imdying
13th May 2008, 11:46
The SV with about 9,000 k's does it all the time, I have mates who have to get the idle adjusted. Mine always stalls when cold, can not handle an closing throttle without stalling.TRE fitted?

Guided_monkey
15th May 2008, 00:41
You should have known better than to ask for an unbiaded opinion. Personally I ride VTR but it was going cheap and I wanted a V twin.

Use it to get to work each day, 360ish km/week.

Get about 190-200km before the o.l.d (orange light of doom), 14ltrs to refill.

V-twins are excellent in traffic as they lane split...... I mean over take other road users easily.

:rockon:

dipshit
16th May 2008, 10:55
Flag the V-twins, do ya self a favour buy a GSX-R....nuff said. :beer:

Yet so many riders after owning a V-twin, could never go back to il4's.

onearmedbandit
16th May 2008, 11:01
Horses for courses really isn't it?

vifferman
16th May 2008, 11:53
Depends what you want. I could go back to a v-twin, but I've never owned an IL4. I like the character of v-engined bikes.

rocketman1
19th May 2008, 19:29
Just done 500km on the SV this weekend, kept it under 5000 rpm, mostly . that is under about 130kmhr, did 48mpg, this is the 3rd check I have done & got the same mpg, bloody good if you ask me. between 17-18 km /litre

Stormer
20th May 2008, 18:18

Sorry to quote ya, but what year did the VTR come out with a 5 speed?????????
Maybe mine`s got a bonus 6th gear...

hurricane_r
20th May 2008, 19:18
rc51? or firestorm?

big diference,,, if sp1, then yes will clean sv1000
simple?

Swoop
27th May 2008, 11:12
Hope you enjoy the SV! You certainly get a lot of bike for a small amount of money.

My old VFR750 went on the Southern Cross with a VTR1000 as companion.
The VTR needed to know where the next petrol station was located and the VFR had to cross-tank fuel to keep the VTR going.

Flag the V-twins, do ya self a favour buy a GSX-R....nuff said.
How much touring or long range stuff do you do on your gixer? Does your arse go to sleep?
The seat on those feels like a plank of wood.

vifferman
27th May 2008, 11:45
Sorry to quote ya, but what year did the VTR come out with a 5 speed?????????
Never.
Maybe it was one what had dropped a gear...
Or mebbe it was a VTR250, but I thought they had six-speed slushboxes as well, also. Too.

ozrobo
27th July 2008, 01:20
my preference would be the vtr is more robust the sv is a sound bike aswell and you wouldnt get any honda jokes

jonbuoy
27th July 2008, 01:58

I'm hooked on twins now, more "fun" and character and that is what bikes is all about IMHO. Don't forget about the Mille and Falco's they aren't much more than a used japper. VTR was a nice bike but a bit flawed, if honda had sorted out the niggles it would have been a great bike. I'm leaning towards a Falco at the moment - everything the VTR should have/could have been.