PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Highway!!

pjpnz
1st May 2008, 10:15
Rode the Forgotten Highway (43) yesterday. Sunshine and rain all the way from Te Pahu (Hamilton) to Whangamomona via Taumarunui, and back to Te Pahu via Stratford.

Beautiful scenery. Road surface excellent.

Hazards... goats, and lots of rock falls from recent rain. Road surface good even when wet. Unsealed road had no metal, so easy riding; not slippery even when it was pouring!

Would be a perfect ride on a sunny, no frost day!!

Masterchop
1st May 2008, 10:29
I did that road about a month back,its really nice,not much traffic except following camper van on the gravel section.

mazz1972
5th May 2008, 16:10
Sounds awesome....it's on my list of roads to ride hopefully next summer. Is there much gravel?

spookytooth
5th May 2008, 17:14
Sounds awesome....it's on my list of roads to ride hopefully next summer. Is there much gravel?
About 10ks its flat and pretty easy riding gravel

puddytat
5th May 2008, 18:38
Will definately go that way when I head up for the WSB in 2010:woohoo:. Took the coast road from Wangas to New Plymouth in March, was nice though a tad boring,couldnt convince my mates that the forgotten hgwy was a better ride...:oi-grr:

zxcvbnm
5th May 2008, 19:01
Looks nice.

How many tunnels are there.

nadroj
5th May 2008, 21:21
Just the one tunnel east of Tahora.

yod
5th May 2008, 21:25
it's a ripper

everyone should do it at least once

Boob Johnson
5th May 2008, 22:01
Bloody awesome stretch of road, im blessed with living not to far from it so have done it heaps of times & will continue to :headbang:

About 10ks its flat and pretty easy riding gravel
Actually about 14km's

cowboyz
5th May 2008, 22:14
yep. good road. done it twice now. I like the real tight lower speed stuff where you are back and forth on the bike. Great road for that. Watch the cars though!

pjpnz
6th May 2008, 06:53
Hi. 14km of gravel; was easy riding on the day. One short tunnel; you can see right through from one end to the other, so safe.

Great summer ride (watch out for the goats!). Winter could be tricky - very frosty roads in the morning, I suspect.

dutchman49
6th May 2008, 07:52
Hi. 14km of gravel; was easy riding on the day. One short tunnel; you can see right through from one end to the other, so safe.

Great summer ride (watch out for the goats!). Winter could be tricky - very frosty roads in the morning, I suspect.

My friends and I do this area every year at Cold Kiwi weekend. (We dont actually go to the Cold Kiwi) There are good roads all over this area and worth while spending a Friday and/or Saturday night at the Whangamomona Hotel. The owner is a biker. Cost is about 90 bucks and includes a roast dinner and cooked breakfast. I think it is cheaper for the rest of the week. you may have to book.

PrincessBandit
6th May 2008, 08:15
That looks cool. I will definitely look at a map to see just where that runs (as it sounds like it might be just a weeeeee way from where I live). Perhaps next school holidays might be able to check it out. Thanks for posting about it!

Boob Johnson
6th May 2008, 08:36
The owner is a biker.
It changed hands last year, is that the current owner you are talking about? Ive spoken with him many times & he never mentioned anything about being a biker himself?

DVS 69
6th May 2008, 08:46
Its definately one of my all time fav rides, ridden to the pub heaps of times gets abit slipperey in the winter etc tho but all an all awesum ride and awesum pub real nice food too:yes:

inlinefour
6th May 2008, 09:00
Rode the Forgotten Highway (43) yesterday. Sunshine and rain all the way from Te Pahu (Hamilton) to Whangamomona via Taumarunui, and back to Te Pahu via Stratford.

Beautiful scenery. Road surface excellent.

Hazards... goats, and lots of rock falls from recent rain. Road surface good even when wet. Unsealed road had no metal, so easy riding; not slippery even when it was pouring!

Would be a perfect ride on a sunny, no frost day!!

I used to blast that road through to Tamranui have lunch and back to New Pymouth regularly on my DRZ400. Awesome road and scenery, not that I really got to see much scenery as I was usually abusing the shit out of the bike and rear tyre. Stratford to Whanga and back on my sportsbike was a fecking awesome ride. Might have to go out there at some stage with the Mrs and give the turbo/tyres a good working. Well on 2nd thoughts, maybe I should leave the Mrs at home...:innocent:

Marmoot
6th May 2008, 09:36
worth while spending a Friday and/or Saturday night at the Whangamomona Hotel. The owner is a biker. Cost is about 90 bucks and includes a roast dinner and cooked breakfast. I think it is cheaper for the rest of the week. you may have to book.

Any hope for a contact details?

sinfull
6th May 2008, 09:48
They have their republic day celebrations every year, last week of january sometime ! Well worth riding out there for any reason though or for no particular reason at all for that matter !

nadroj
6th May 2008, 12:59
Any hope for a contact details?

http://www.whangamomonahotel.co.nz/

Yes he is a biker & may have been a police officer in the past.

We had a ride with Pritch to the republic on sunday & the hospitality and meals is tops.

young1
6th May 2008, 13:43
It changed hands last year, is that the current owner you are talking about? Ive spoken with him many times & he never mentioned anything about being a biker himself?

May not be a current biker but knows what is required. When we stayed their last year with a Kiwi Biker ride it was raining and he raced out to open the gate for us so we could get all the bikes off the road. Then his wife had it sorted for us to hang wet gear while they gave keys out etc etc Price was good value to.

That might have been June last year, it was their first weekend with the hotel.

dutchman49
6th May 2008, 14:42

We were there in September last year. A new bloke and his wife had just taken over. He told me he had a Honda "something or t'other" touring bike. I have stayed there 7 times now and have always been made to feel very welcome, whomever the owner was. That's Taranaki hospitality for you. And I aint from there, but will vouch for it.

rygsx
6th May 2008, 17:59
im keen to rde that loop anytime im between te kuiti and taumranui used to live near whanga

ynot slow
6th May 2008, 20:16
Yep a definate biker,was there last labour weekend and he was pissed off he had to work,said something about 45 riders or so over the weekend had passed by in either directions,and he couldn't enjoy the ride,or the weather.

Be warned though the weekends need to be booked,but bloody good value for $$$.

86GSXR
6th May 2008, 21:17
Bloody brilliant road that! The owner rides a Blackbird :niceone:

Pedrostt500
6th May 2008, 21:21
Nah its not a forgotten highway its still known and on my map.

Boob Johnson
6th May 2008, 23:25
We were there in September last year. A new bloke and his wife had just taken over. He told me he had a Honda "something or t'other" touring bike. I have stayed there 7 times now and have always been made to feel very welcome, whomever the owner was. That's Taranaki hospitality for you. And I aint from there, but will vouch for it.
Well that's just dandy then. Im in the industry myself in the district so that's just dandy once again :clap:

ynot slow
7th May 2008, 07:31
Well that's just dandy then. Im in the industry myself in the district so that's just dandy once again :clap:

Plug the bisso for free,go on.:2thumbsup

glice
6th June 2008, 12:27
yup that is one awsome stretch of road, we did it on the weekend. It was 180k from taumaranui to stratford, and probly the best 180km stretch of road I have riden so far.
I wish I lived closer to it, but I dont think that will stop me from taking a trip down just to ride it!

Dazza
6th June 2008, 16:30
yup that is one awsome stretch of road, we did it on the weekend. It was 180k from taumaranui to stratford, and probly the best 180km stretch of road I have riden so far.
I wish I lived closer to it, but I dont think that will stop me from taking a trip down just to ride it!You'll find it's only 150k's maybe 154 as if it was any further I'd be pushing to Taumaranui, you'd be hard pressed to find a better road IMO. Done it twice in the past couple of months & the gravel was like a well prepared speedway track :laugh:

HRH
6th June 2008, 17:20
If anyone's interested, Kerry Turner (Omapu Station, Tahora) is planning a rally to coincide with Whangamomona Republic Day on/around 26-27th January. Thousands of people turn up for Republic Day, many of them bikers - an awesome opportunity to join in and then camp over in one of the most amazing spots in the country.

Kerry also does a rally over Anzac weekend, which is the best I've been to so far.

wickle
6th June 2008, 17:35
There was a letter to editor in BRM (August 2007) from the new owners, Geoff and penny Taylor

Boob Johnson
6th June 2008, 18:14
There was a letter to editor in BRM (August 2007) from the new owners, Geoff and penny Taylor
I went for a blast on Tuesday & Carolyn (didn't catch the last name) was one of the new owners so must have sold again :scratch:

Boob Johnson
6th June 2008, 18:15
If anyone's interested, Kerry Turner (Omapu Station, Tahora) is planning a rally to coincide with Whangamomona Republic Day on/around 26-27th January. Thousands of people turn up for Republic Day, many of them bikers - an awesome opportunity to join in and then camp over in one of the most amazing spots in the country.

Kerry also does a rally over Anzac weekend, which is the best I've been to so far.
Oh sweet, I run a lodge here in New Plymouth so ill keep that in mind for any guests wanting to attend.

PM the details if you can :niceone:

ynot slow
6th June 2008, 18:28

He's not far from the pub either,and looking to have his backpackers/accomodation ready asap this year.

ynot slow
6th June 2008, 18:29
I went for a blast on Tuesday & Carolyn (didn't catch the last name) was one of the new owners so must have sold again :scratch:

You absolute lucky bastard,Tuesday was a goodish day,compared to the few days prior.

HRH
6th June 2008, 18:39
He's not far from the pub either,and looking to have his backpackers/accomodation ready asap this year.

Yep...a mere 19kms up the road!

ynot slow
6th June 2008, 18:44
Yep...a mere 19kms up the road!

Far enough when pissed lol(passenger).He was sussing out some bits from us at work,was hoping he needed em delivered,nice trip and about 2hrs from Stratford return etc.

HRH
6th June 2008, 18:47
Far enough when pissed lol(passenger).He was sussing out some bits from us at work,was hoping he needed em delivered,nice trip and about 2hrs from Stratford return etc.

You're not wrong - not a road to travel pissed, but a fantastic wee ride on a nice day. I've been going out there to music festivals since I was a wee tacker..great spot.

Pedrostt500
6th June 2008, 19:11
Worked in Toko in the early 80s, Friends used to race from the northern roundabout in Stratford to Whangamomana and back, yep its a good road.

glice
7th June 2008, 21:37
You'll find it's only 150k's maybe 154 as if it was any further I'd be pushing to Taumaranui, you'd be hard pressed to find a better road IMO. Done it twice in the past couple of months & the gravel was like a well prepared speedway track :laugh:

Yea sory your right, I reset my trip counter at taumaranui and at stratford it was about 160ish. Yea you can keep up a pretty good pace on the gravel stretch.

sinfull
7th June 2008, 21:43
Its the suit boob ! Would you tell anyone your real name if they looked like you ?

BUELLFIREBOLT7777
7th June 2008, 22:25
I lived in Eltham for 7 years and used to ride to that pub often.For those that would be interested the Vintage Railway (club or association) in Auckland has a Steam train trip down to Whanga every year or two on Republic Day,about 4-6 carriages.Would have to book way ahead.

Boob Johnson
7th June 2008, 22:55
Its the suit boob ! Would you tell anyone your real name if they looked like you ?
Flatery will get you everywhere :laugh:

raftn
20th June 2008, 17:54
So is the roadt from Tamranui to statford sealed all the way, it said in a bike i had that it isnt? because i want to ride it but i am on a sports bike. Any help any one ?

cowboyz
20th June 2008, 19:48
it has about 14km of very hard packed gravel in the middle. Really easy to ride. Done it several times on my bike without issue and well worth it.

ynot slow
20th June 2008, 21:24
Is good,two guys from work were out that way wednesday,road good where gravel was and they were in a loaded van,made good time back for beers too.