PDA

View Full Version : F@#$ck me I'm glad I'm no longer in Scotland

scracha
1st May 2008, 17:39
http://www.scottishsundayexpress.co.uk/costoflivingindex

How does this compare with New Zealand at the moment?

gijoe1313
1st May 2008, 17:56
Typical canny wee scots! Oots mon, just keep eating your salted oats and remember that bikes here go for daft prices! :rolleyes: :msn-wink:

jonbuoy
1st May 2008, 19:10
I don't reckon there is a massive gap between food prices here and UK. Shoes and petrol are the shockers on there - I know you can buy a pair of kids shoes for less than 30 quid so thats B/S. NHS prescription is less than a visit to my doctor here.

Kendog
1st May 2008, 19:20
It's difficult to know how bad that really is, cause bleach was not on the list.

jonbuoy
1st May 2008, 20:19
Eating out in the UK is where you get screwed on food - $40 for a minging "ploughmans" lunch or standard lasagne/scampi and chips pub menu. :mad:

geoffm
1st May 2008, 20:51
http://www.scottishsundayexpress.co.uk/costoflivingindex

How does this compare with New Zealand at the moment?

My mental calculations show those grocery prices are much the same as NZ, or maybe even cheaper in some cases. Be interesting to compare - go to http://www.woolworths.co.nz and put together an equivalent basket.
One difference is pay rates are higher there, so in real terms it is cheaper.
Petrol and insurance are both eye wateringly expensive in the UK.

AllanB
1st May 2008, 20:57
I bet New Zealand butter is cheaper there.:buggerd:

scracha
2nd May 2008, 18:05
Eating out in the UK is where you get screwed on food - $40 for a minging "ploughmans" lunch or standard lasagne/scampi and chips pub menu. :mad:

I take it you mean 40 dollars cos I've never had a pub lunch for 40 quid. Yep....40 dollars is about right...and you forgot to mention it's usually microwaved $hite.

As for shoes...personally I find decent shoes very limited and very expensive here. Shoes are expensive in the uk and it was mind boggling that we could nip over to France and buy well made leather shoes/boots for about 1/3 of the price.

Wages are higher...but it's a myth that the median wage in kiwi peso's matches the uk wage in pounds. The median in $hity blighty is about $24K (UKP) or $60K NZD. Compare this to the NZ median of around $47K NZD. Don't confuse this with GNP per capita or the average wage cos when you take all the rich tax evading fucks like dickie branson out of the equation most pomms are on a $hit wage. Honestly, with house prices, high taxes, national insurance, VAT at 17.5%, vehicle insurance, council tax, petrol prices, etc...you're struggling to live on the median wage in the UK.

kevfromcoro
2nd May 2008, 20:24
my son was working over in UK..27 pound an hour...shit thats good money thinks me....just over $70 an hour.i think.....if you could go there and not pay rent..and not eat ,,,and bring the money back to NZ...would be on a pigs back..as scratcha said,,,,,still have to pay high prices for food,transport.vat...etc...its all relavent.....work for an hour and what does it getcha.i rember buying my 1st bike....it represented about 6 months work.
nowdays i can work for a month ,,and buy a bike..
dont think we are to bad off really