PDA

View Full Version : Seeking all plumbers and DIY fullas

bomma
2nd May 2008, 12:12
Ive noticed for a while that the toilet downstairs fills up a sheetload quicker and is thus a lot handier for continuous use and such (specially when people and mates are over). However the upstairs toilet doesn't seem to follow suit and takes an age to fill up and is noisy as hell when it does fill up....

i was wondering if i can fix this issue....i know that there is a tap connected to the reservoir behind the toilet unit and under any other circumstances would have had a fiddle by now but since its my parents' house i dont want to tamper in case of any bad shit happening and my parents having to fork out and me having to pay em back at weekly installments (im a poor student)....

help???

Winter
2nd May 2008, 13:58
Its a tap, you can't go wrong.

nodrog
2nd May 2008, 14:11

yeah, what he said :2thumbsup

kiwifruit
2nd May 2008, 14:14
cowpoos is the man when it comes to fixing loos, he'll be along in due course with any luck

Gubb
2nd May 2008, 14:18
Have you two got an identical Avatar pact going on?

nodrog
2nd May 2008, 14:29
Have you two got an identical Avatar pact going on?

wanna join our gang?

Gubb
2nd May 2008, 15:10
Only if the initiation process involves cheese and a shrubbery.

MisterD
2nd May 2008, 15:14
Do downstairs taps run quicker than upstairs? It may just be that you haven't got much water pressure...

geoffm
2nd May 2008, 20:10
My Inlaws had this problem. I replaced the fill valve in the tank with a Fluidmaster replacement - ran about $30-40 IIRC. The old OEM Caroma one was poked.
G

bomma
3rd May 2008, 00:10

hahaha you dont know how many times ive heard "you cant go wrong" before with catastrophic results :crazy:

Do downstairs taps run quicker than upstairs? It may just be that you haven't got much water pressure...

nah they both run just fine and at the same rate/pressure

My Inlaws had this problem. I replaced the fill valve in the tank with a Fluidmaster replacement - ran about $30-40 IIRC. The old OEM Caroma one was poked.
G

im a student so ill extinguish all the free possibilities but its good to know that if nothing else works this might just solve the prob :niceone:

motorbyclist
3rd May 2008, 00:22
just open the tap a bit more

i mean, what's the worst that could possibly happen?

(poo showers, that's what!)

bomma
3rd May 2008, 16:42
like ive said before, if it was my own place i wud prolly have been knee deep in water from the bowl with plenty of brown submarines but as it is my parents' place, fucking up is an issue!!!! they let me live there man the last thing i want to happen is for them to wake up to see floaters circling their bed :P

The Pastor
3rd May 2008, 17:10
who gives a shit?

cowpoos
3rd May 2008, 17:27
Ive noticed for a while that the toilet downstairs fills up a sheetload quicker and is thus a lot handier for continuous use and such (specially when people and mates are over). However the upstairs toilet doesn't seem to follow suit and takes an age to fill up and is noisy as hell when it does fill up....

i was wondering if i can fix this issue....i know that there is a tap connected to the reservoir behind the toilet unit and under any other circumstances would have had a fiddle by now but since its my parents' house i dont want to tamper in case of any bad shit happening and my parents having to fork out and me having to pay em back at weekly installments (im a poor student)....

help???

does it have a different Ballcock inside?? sounds like the up stairs on is pushing the water through a smaller hole..and making the extra noise because of!

cowpoos is the man when it comes to fixing loos, he'll be along in due course with any luck

Your toilet is just fucking irritating!! and a waste of water!

bomma
3rd May 2008, 17:28
who gives a shit?

well i started the thread......so.....i mean its not that hard to figure out......

bomma
3rd May 2008, 17:31
does it have a different Ballcock inside?? sounds like the up stairs on is pushing the water through a smaller hole..and making the extra noise because of!

dunno but will definately have a look when i get home today

cheers :niceone:

bomma
5th May 2008, 16:25
ummm so i got home all ready to sort out the toilet but when i tried to get the lid off it wudnt budge!!! think its bolted to something.....bloody toilets too fancy for my feeble mind to get open and after a couple of minutes of gawking i gave up, had a few beers and went to town......

but i had a look at the pipe that goes from the toilet to the tap and its bloody thin!!! wudnt be surprised cowpoos if, like you had said, this was the reason it fills slowly and makes a god-awful noise when refilling....

ital916
5th May 2008, 21:36
ummm so i got home all ready to sort out the toilet but when i tried to get the lid off it wudnt budge!!! think its bolted to something.....bloody toilets too fancy for my feeble mind to get open and after a couple of minutes of gawking i gave up, had a few beers and went to town......

but i had a look at the pipe that goes from the toilet to the tap and its bloody thin!!! wudnt be surprised cowpoos if, like you had said, this was the reason it fills slowly and makes a god-awful noise when refilling....

I reckon what you need to do is create a room under teh toilet, find a spare saturn 5 rocket, remove its turbopump, then install it into the room, create pressurised liguid oxygen and hydrogen tanks and then cool the room with liquid nitrogen to operating temperature *as turbopumps get veeery hot*, then rig it to the flush button and also the refill mechanism. Thus when you flush the turbo pump spools up..give it a min then fires and whammo instant flush, plus it will refill at an amazingly quick rate albeit with lots of noise and the possibility of death as it would probably just explode, but what a way to go eh!

mowgli
5th May 2008, 21:52
However the upstairs toilet doesn't seem to follow suit and takes an age to fill up and is noisy as hell when it does fill up....
Sounds like your bogger has seen its fair share of floaters. Inside the cistern, under the ballcock valve there should be a silencer tube of about 10mm diameter. These sometimes go brittle and break off leading to noisy fills. The silencer tube is cheap to replace from any plumbing merchant. You'll probably need to remove the left over threaded bit from the ballcock valve before you can screw the new tube in.

If you can replace a light bulb you can replace a silencer tube.

IANAP YMMV