PDA

View Full Version : South Island Weather Labour Weekend?

bull
4th May 2008, 12:02
Anyone have a overview of the kind of weather to expect if travelling from Wellington to Invercargill in Labour Weekend? also whats the most scenic yet only take at most 2 days to get down there?

sels1
4th May 2008, 12:26
Weather is a lottery at that time of year - be prepared to get all 4 seasons.
Any route down that way is scenic, but some more than others. If you are on a time limit you are probably better sticking to SH1 down the East coast. If you had time to go down one coast and back up the other you will have an awesome trip! If you have time suggest you go from NV to Queenstown, then head for Twizel, then the inland route to dodge CHCH (72?), the inland Kaikoura road is a good ride too. Study a map...

Jantar
4th May 2008, 13:33
Labour weekend is generally pretty settled weather. The equanox winds and resulting fronts are usually over, and generally a great time to travel. It is still spring time and occassional southerlies can come through and make it a bit cool. Otherwise it should be mild - warm.

Check the weather map before leaving, and if the isobars show the wind coming from the south then take the west coast route. If the wind is from the west take the inland scenic route, or if its a nor-wester take the east coast.

mattimeo
4th May 2008, 14:01
Not sure how cold it'll be in the passes yet - but be careful for ice. There is a spot between Nelson & Westport - just before you hit Murcherson. Did me in around this time last year.

RentaTriumph
4th May 2008, 17:59
Two days gives you enough time to go down Murchison thru to Westport and straight down through Haast Pass then inland thru to Invercargill. A truly spectacular ride.

homer
4th May 2008, 19:44
its awwekend so if you not working and want to do a something , you know what itll do . lol

puddytat
4th May 2008, 22:00
Good thing bout down here is if its shit one side it usually better the other...

Bren
4th May 2008, 22:35
I have just what you need....

bull
6th May 2008, 19:57
Cool thanks for the feedbackon the weather, the main issue was snow and no-one mentioned that so all is hunky dory. I think its gonna be worth taking extra couple of days to take the scenery in, so now to make plans, im thinking 22nd sail early morning and then ride whichever way the weather dictates. And return home 29th.

raftn
5th June 2008, 12:56
Knowing the wather forcasters it will be something like this.............Rain easing to showers, witrh the occasional thunderstorm....clearing, with strong north westerlies. turning to southerlies at same stage, and mainly fine periods.......with prospects of rain in the morining and late evening.........otherwise fine!...............They cover their butt that way!

gunrunner
6th July 2008, 17:57
Chances are weather will be shit , turn off right by garage at Rangiora do the inland scenic route you will go past alot of locations used on Lord of the Rings past Rakaia gorge and Mount Hutt station and round back of Methven then on to
central Otago from there , Do West Coast on the way back either thru Nelson lakes or round the sounds to picton . Going down to Catlins at around labour weekend myself but no bike on this trip due to baggage .

jazzman
21st July 2008, 10:13
Generaly one side of the island will be fine if the other is not good. if you have two days to get there then won't matter which way you go. Inland route on the east coast as suggested is brilliant. Either way, enjoy!

FLYMO
22nd July 2008, 20:38
yeah down the east coast would be ya best bet
theres been a bit of ice on the passes
murch and the shannendoah are a bit slippery this time of year

gunrunner
11th September 2008, 18:07
Chances are weather will be shit , turn off right by garage at Rangiora do the inland scenic route you will go past alot of locations used on Lord of the Rings past Rakaia gorge and Mount Hutt station and round back of Methven then on to
central Otago from there , Do West Coast on the way back either thru Nelson lakes or round the sounds to picton . Going down to Catlins at around labour weekend myself but no bike on this trip due to baggage .

On second thorts im thinking of taking the bike , if i take the car i would be thinking shit i wish i had taken the bike ?:rockon:

puddytat
11th September 2008, 19:57
Theres the street races on in Greymouth labour weekend .....:2thumbsup

gunrunner
21st September 2008, 20:25
Stuff it im taking the bike just hope my bags turn up in time gonna go the way i said but im gonna go to the Britten muesum .