PDA

View Full Version : 03 GSXR1000

Sensei
20th December 2004, 21:26
Well it's been 5y since I owned my 93 GSXR1100 & now own a 03 GSXR1000
The old 1100 was 230kg & the 1000 168kg so 62kg's lighter & you can feel it . Power wise my 1100 had 156hp standard compared to 165hp for the 1000 so not that much differance there . The new beast is great for comfort , eg reach to bar's , angle of leg's to foot peg's & seat firmness. I'm 6ft so may be abit of a reach for smaller people but not to bad .On road ride is Excellent totally neutral steering & top feed back from the front end very planted / back
end same as the front hard to fault , plenty of nob's to play with if not happy . Motor make's the best low down power for a 4 cylinder 1000 with approx 76ft/p of torque a 999 Ducati make's 81ft/p so that show's you this is not just a top end bike & 6th gear roll on's from 60k are to die for let alone 100k one's near break your neck . Great fun no need to change gear's just open it up & ride the Torque .
Brake's are well as with all the Radial Brake's these day's top's .Fuel seem's to give you around 220k's to resv light so not to bad 18l tank I belive .
Has all the bell's a whistles Eg Digital speedo ,
shift light ,clock ,2 trip ,temp gauge . Have had a couple of hard ride's out the back of my Fav road's & cann't see myself been able to find any fault's with this bike so I will have to say of the 50 bike's I'v owned this would be one of the best . I did try a R1 / CBR1000 /TLR /Aprilia/GSXR750 before I brought the GSXR all the other's are great bike's but each had something I didn't like about it ,be it comfort/brake's /power & the Suzuki came out on top's for me . As it has with most of the bike Mag's as an over all package so will continue to ride & enjoy this bike till something better catches my eye .
SENSEI

Teflon
29th December 2004, 08:36
Heard latest GSXR's have shit build quality.

Should really take one for a ride, just a bit to scared too, might like it to much and have to buy one.

Dude i know is selling his WP down at bikes & bits at the moment. Rode it just before he brought it, it was fuckin lemon, hard to keep a straight face when we went for rides.

Pulled alright to about 200k, after that it just struggled.

Still havn't told him it's lemon, he seems to think it's alright so never did.

NC
29th December 2004, 08:44
They are great to ride, and I'm only a short arse (5'8ft). But I have to admit, I need to get a few more years on the bike. Before I even think about buying one of those. NASTY NASTY :eek: I love em..

They only came out in silver eh?

Cajun
29th December 2004, 09:20
Heard latest GSXR's have shit build quality.

Should really take one for a ride, just a bit to scared too, might like it to much and have to buy one.

Dude i know is selling his WP down at bikes & bits at the moment. Rode it just before he brought it, it was fuckin lemon, hard to keep a straight face when we went for rides.

Pulled alright to about 200k, after that it just struggled.

Still havn't told him it's lemon, he seems to think it's alright so never did.
No build problems i have heard off, i have a 04 gsxr600, know a couple of people with 03/04 gsxr1000 no problems i have heard off,

F5 Dave
29th December 2004, 10:45
Cool bike.

The old GSXR would have summoned about 130HP if introduced to a dyno compared with 150 for the 1000 & what with the weight difference would have thought would have been a hella upgrade oomphwise.

Think the 1000s weigh about 180 & 200 with some gas in the tank.

Have only ridden the '03 750 & all it was lacking was some midrange which I’m sure the 1000 has in spades.

2_SL0
29th December 2004, 12:08
Where are the new ones built?

Quasievil
29th December 2004, 13:38
What are they like for passenger comfort ?? Took Mrs Evil to taupo on the ZXR and she can hardly walk now, just to tight for her, I may need to change but it would be a comprimise a bigger bike may be the answer will have a look

Motoracer
29th December 2004, 13:42
What are they like for passenger comfort ?? Took Mrs Evil to taupo on the ZXR and she can hardly walk now, just to tight for her, I may need to change but it would be a comprimise a bigger bike may be the answer will have a look
I heard ZX12Rs are pretty good for pillions. :whistle:

Cajun
29th December 2004, 14:14
plenty of fast sport tourers out there, there is the new zzr600 which is out, if you are wanting another 600, and kawa

Quasievil
29th December 2004, 14:50
Just back from taking Mrs Evil to Hammy Motorcycles, she likes the Multistada Ducati and the new ZX636, with the 636 we can put extension foot pegs on it to ease the legroom a bit, the new seat is also more comfy for the passenger more grip. Seems worlds apart multistrada to ZXR ? fuck I dunno to hard

Sensei
29th December 2004, 14:50
Hey Teflon.
My 93 1100R had 146 RWHP did 1\4 mile 10.2 sec flying 268klm If your mate's GSXR struggled to pull over 200k then there was something wrong with it . Mine from brand new did 10.86 sec 1/4's & 150mph flying before I had it tricked up . Next time try taking your mate's bike out of 2nd gear . As far as build quality on the new GSXR's go they are as good as they have ever been Excellent . You should have a close look at your VTR they would have to one of the most Budget looking bike's on the market Please !! We are talking about real bike's not some halfass attempt at a twin . Buy yourself a SP1/TL if your wanting a decent Twin :bleh:
:sly: SENSEI

Teflon
29th December 2004, 15:23
Hey Teflon.
My 93 1100R had 146 RWHP did 1\4 mile 10.2 sec flying 268klm If your mate's GSXR struggled to pull over 200k then there was something wrong with it . Mine from brand new did 10.86 sec 1/4's & 150mph flying before I had it tricked up . Next time try taking your mate's bike out of 2nd gear . As far as build quality on the new GSXR's go they are as good as they have ever been Excellent . You should have a close look at your VTR they would have to one of the most Budget looking bike's on the market Please !! We are talking about real bike's not some halfass attempt at a twin . Buy yourself a SP1/TL if your wanting a decent Twin :bleh:
:sly: SENSEI

Dude theres no way in hell that would ever knock GSXR11, i grew up around them. 93 model is the full horsepower version, i rode k model just before the WP, the WP never pulled like the k up top, so i come to a conclusion "this" bike i rode had somthing wrong with it, hence why i called a lemon, sorry for the confusion, i would take it to heart too.

Reason a brought a VTR is because it had all the sepension done. Least i can ride this bike to it's full potential, and not dream.

Fuck i don't know why i'm getting deffensive, not like i can't afford to buy any bike i want.

Teflon
29th December 2004, 17:03
Just back from taking Mrs Evil to Hammy Motorcycles, she likes the Multistada Ducati and the new ZX636, with the 636 we can put extension foot pegs on it to ease the legroom a bit, the new seat is also more comfy for the passenger more grip. Seems worlds apart multistrada to ZXR ? fuck I dunno to hard

Have they still got a rocket 3 down there?.

Sensei
30th December 2004, 12:53
I must have been Dreaming I could ride while I was 2 wheel dirfting my 1100R round Taranaki for 6y's > Owell some day I may be up to the skill of other's on here. May need to buy another 50 bike's thou . Could take awhile :confused:
SENSEI

750Y
6th January 2005, 14:20

the mrs says it's a lil bumpy and she has to hang on tight cause she feels like she'll fall off the back. she said she feels quite high & way back from me becuase I ride with my nuts against the tank and the front seats fairly long. when i get off the seat she hates it cos she feels very vulnerable stuck way up there by herself. needless to say, it's better 1up.

good write-up sensei, i'd agree with you about the bike being a pretty good allrounder. It does seem to do most things with ease. i rate it as a top roadbike for the sportsrider...

Sensei
6th January 2005, 17:11
Cheers 750Y great to see another GSXR rider
SENSEI

Teflon
8th January 2005, 22:26
I must have been Dreaming I could ride while I was 2 wheel dirfting my 1100R round Taranaki for 6y's > Owell some day I may be up to the skill of other's on here. May need to buy another 50 bike's thou . Could take awhile :confused:
SENSEI

Shit if you can use 150hp on the road, your my new hero.

Then again your probaly like this homo i saw going to Raglan, fuckin fast in the straughts......thats about it.

Sensei
8th January 2005, 23:24
Shit if you can use 150hp on the road, your my new hero.

Then again your probaly like this homo i saw going to Raglan, fuckin fast in the straughts......thats about it

Nice post Teflon !! . You not read so good
"Drifting my bike round corner's !! "Any fuck can go fast in a straight line .Taranaki is all corner's ! I all ready have enough Fan's of my riding ability's down here but 1 more is cool . Oyea have a Wife & 2 boy's so no "HOMO"! either . I tell my Martial Art's student's Jealousy will only stop you from finding out how really good you can be .Look at youself first .

SENSEI :first:

StoneChucker
9th January 2005, 00:30
your probaly like this homo i saw going to Raglan, fuckin fast in the straughts......thats about it.

Yeah, thats also my riding style, so what? :2thumbsup
I'm a ham-fisted throttle jockey on the straights, and a handbag carting sissy boy in the corners. Thats all my skill allows for at the moment, so why the hell should I try be something I'm not and get myself killed? Did the guy you saw going to Raglan stop, and tell you how good he was at riding? Or, was he just riding and you assumed he was trying to be a bad ass? I think he may have just been out for an enjoyable ride, and why the hell not.

I respect people more skilled than me, but not the ones who rub it in my face, and tell me how crap I am. At one stage, you were learning too, and from what I've deduced, you will still be learning everytime you go riding, it's just the nature of it.

2_SL0
9th January 2005, 06:55
I will happily admit Im a nancy boy in the corners.

moko
10th January 2005, 00:23
Thats all my skill allows for at the moment, so why the hell should I try be something I'm not and get myself killed? Did the guy you saw going to Raglan stop, and tell you how good he was at riding? Or, was he just riding and you assumed he was trying to be a bad ass? I think he may have just been out for an enjoyable ride, and why the hell not.

I respect people more skilled than me, but not the ones who rub it in my face, and tell me how crap I am. At one stage, you were learning too, and from what I've deduced, you will still be learning everytime you go riding, it's just the nature of it.

You`re right in what you say,seems to me that a lot of the guys here equate good riding with going as quickly as possible on the road,probably why so many of them seem to fall off.Racing is for race-tracks,if you`re good at it there then yeah you`re a skilled rider.Do it on the road with no regard to the law or what might just be round the corner and it`s not big,clever or skillful it`s just a quick way to get yourself banned or hurt yourself or someone else.Ignore the jibes StoneChucker,concentrate on making your riding smooth and safe before you try to go faster,if someone goes flying past you and they really think that makes them somehow better than you then it`s for them to sort out their low self-esteem problem rather than for you to think you`re a crap rider.Crap riders are usually the ones who think they know it all,they`re usually just too arrogant to realise it,they fall off or the Police nab them and it`s always someone else`s fault.(speed camera,road surface e.t.c.)

750Y
11th January 2005, 11:56
just to add,
the 03 gsxr1000 is almost identical to the 04 with the exception of different brake pads & graphics. it has heavier duty suspension(springs) than the 01-02 model. the dumbest thing about them is the tiny white programmable shift light on the dash, the reserve will run to around 70kms if you're desperate & ride at 80kmh 8-). the worst thing about them is having every dick with stars in their eyes trying to prove themselves.

Sensei
26th January 2005, 21:38
Have brought 2 new bit's to make the GSXR go abit better . K/N filter &
a TRE 002 {Timimg Retarder Eliminator } Tells the bike it is in 3rd gear so as to get full HP in 1st & 2nd gear which it doesn't let you have standard , Retard's the timing .Can't have that !! Plus it take's out the 300k Limiter as well . Will post Report on these once they get here next week Looking forward to see what the TRE is like . :banana:
SENSEI :sly:

Bleck K6
26th January 2005, 22:39
a TRE 002 {Timimg Retarder Eliminator } Tells the bike it is in 3rd gear so as to get full HP in 1st & 2nd gear which it doesn't let you have standard , Retard's the timing .Can't have that !! Plus it take's out the 300k Limiter as well . Will post Report on these once they get here next week Looking forward to see what the TRE is like . :banana:

I have done the TRE (50cent resistor from dick smith)on the TLR & it made a big difference In the lower gears.
Couldnt tell you how much difference it made on its own,I had it remapped & removed the flapper valves from the airbox at the same time.

750Y
27th January 2005, 08:30

the word is that the K&N gives no performance gain but is washable which means you save money in the long term. for an improvement in performance the BMC Race filter is the way to go except that it doesn't filter as well as stock. i'd be interested to hear about the effect of the TRE on the thou, i've used it on the 750 with marginal results.

something i heard recently was that the k4thou has a different shock to the k3. supposedly it's not better just different???

White trash
27th January 2005, 16:01
the word is that the K&N gives no performance gain

Not entirely accurate. You need to alter the fueling to reap the benefits of increased airflow.

750Y
28th January 2005, 13:44
Not entirely accurate. You need to alter the fueling to reap the benefits of increased airflow.

says he with unlimited access to a dyno a teka & a mechanic.
can you confirm/deny the shock question?

Sensei
28th January 2005, 21:17
Got 2hp extra from K/N in my GSXR 1100 with no jetting just put it in & 140HP from 138HP then we started to play with stuff . Will take new bike down to Brain Bernards & see what it will do on the Dyno . Did 150 RWHP Stock standard 1000k on the clock , so now has Tri oval pipe , K/N filter, high power ECU , Timing Eliminator . :2thumbsup
SENSEI

Biff
11th February 2005, 12:31
The Gixxer 'thou' is on my list of bikes I really want to take a ride of, but never have. Not a quick ride up and down the road either mind you, but a long ride with loads of twisties and the occasional long straight bit.

I seriously considered buying one last year, but that bloody colour scheme put me right off. Don't Suzuki have any imagination?

The '05 model is gorgeous, having finally sorted out the only really ugly bit of the bike, it's arse end.

Suzuki is the only brand of bike I've never owned. Although the Busa did make it to my top three of my last short list of bikes to buy.

**R1**
11th February 2005, 12:45
yeah i test rode a K1 and a K3 both nice :niceone: the K3 was by far nicer :2thumbsup ....but same deal for me.... FKN blue and white.....and the brakes sucked(but not hard to fix) also the things are so common here... i went on a ride just b4 xmas and i shit ya not out of 11 bikes 8 were gsxr's 6 were thou's(all blue and white) 1 was 600K3(blue and white) and the other was a k3 GSXR750(yellow and black) it was a god dam suzi fest...i think its the whole bang for ya buck coz on paper they do have sum prety good specs and fukn cheap...

White trash
11th February 2005, 14:08
coz on paper they do have sum prety good specs and fukn cheap...

On paper? Fuck off son, wit 'till ya see one on the road! :shake:

gav
11th February 2005, 21:03
Maybe its just Christchurch but Sportzone Suzuki are really pushing their roadbikes, but who is the Yamaha dealer ? Eric Hood? All he has are Harleys and Aprilia, Guzzis, think he may have had an R6 at some stage. Norjo need to move to Manchester St, if they want to sell Kawasakis, Casbolts, well, you'd hardly want to buy a bike off those tossers.....