PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to this new forum!

markc
6th May 2008, 18:25
If you're interested in Classic Sidecar racing, this is where you can keep in touch with other competitors, potential new competitors and anyone else who thinks we're 'mad', but still really enjoys the racing.

Please let us know that you've seen this by posting a Reply or by starting a new Thread on a classic sidecar topic.

Mark C

Mental Trousers
6th May 2008, 20:35
You know Paul Dawes?

markc
6th May 2008, 21:45
No, sorry I don't. But it could be a case of 'know the face' but not the name.

Is he actively racing at the moment ?

Atlas
7th May 2008, 08:11
Good to have a forum for the group. Must do something about the old norton's smokescreen before the next round in late August?
Then of course there's the "have a go day" coming up in October at Taupo with the modern's.:rockon:

markc
7th May 2008, 17:35
Hi,

Just let me know when you want to make a start on the engine and I'll drop by.

The Have a Go Day should be great !

I'm looking forward to having a ride :-)
Cheers. Mark

McDuck
10th May 2008, 09:32
oooo fantastic a dedicated forum... cool.

FF71
13th May 2008, 17:43
Wanted to buy: Classic Road Racing Sidecar complete or just rolling chassis. Kneeler style preferred.
Bruce Couper
Auckland
021-2522388

markc
13th May 2008, 19:23
Hi Bruce,

I have emailed your request to everyone on the classic sidecar email list, just in case they aren't looking here.
Cheers, Mark

McDuck
13th May 2008, 22:08
Are there any guys in napier that need help preping outfits etc? I would love to get more involved...

Atlas
24th June 2008, 13:41
Good question, certainly around Wanganui area, but out on the coast? My own outfit started its racing life in Napier, but that was a long long time ago.:whistle:
I'd get along to either the have a go day at Taupo which is run by the SRA, or in late August have a look at the classic meeting at Manfield. Better still build a big wheeler, they are so much fun to ride its amazing there arent more about! and you just need to add a third wheel to an old pom bomb basically to get started.

gav
10th August 2008, 18:24
Just a thought, but shouldn't this forum be in the racing section, rather than club section?

Atlas
29th August 2008, 11:05
I guess it could, but is it worth moving it? If people are searching for sidecar racing they should find it either way. Just so long as it exists somewhere it can be found. The classic sidecar crews do have an informal heirarchy and mailing via a couple of us, so the site is more for people who finally realise their missing the best fun available and want to get on board.
We get good numbers of varied bikes and bods, bl**dy good fun. :clap:
Hopefully we'll get enough classic chairs to come south and do the Bert Munro meet and Teretonga latter this year.

sidecar bob
29th August 2008, 12:33
Hi guys,
Im looking for a 10 inch side guard, or the loan of a mould to make one for my BMW 1000 post classic. Anyone know where i could get one?
cheers, Steve.

Atlas
29th August 2008, 13:58
How wide is it? I run a very narrow fiat bambina 10" on the chair, but there isnt much clearance there for a wider rim and they do tend to distort under duress.:innocent:

Atlas
29th August 2008, 14:01
The one that features on the "Classic Comeback" video being built by John A, or a new one?

sidecar bob
29th August 2008, 14:17
The one that features on the "Classic Comeback" video being built by John A, or a new one?

It has a 165 70 10 on it.
And yes its Bernies old one that featured in the video.
Its virtually brand new & now the motor has been put together properly it should give me heaps of trouble free fun.
I want to put a small guard on it so i can rear exit it, its just a style im more confident with.
Im passengering for Tracey at Manfield this weekend, will you be there?

Atlas
29th August 2008, 14:55
my cranks in bits, being reground. Should have it ready again for Taupo in September, although motor will be very fresh, so will probably be happy to settle it down without drama.
Don't worry about that rear exit s**t, get out the front where you should be. Tons of time to clamber round, have a cuppa tea, gotta keep the corner speed up due to lack of acceleration and brakes etc. It does take a bit of getting used to, but thats part of the fun and looks really classy too:2guns:.
My outfits front only, so wont help you. MarkC could send out an email query for you round the section as he's got a current listing.
Mind you that infield section at Manfield can be a bugger to front exit through.
Have fun at Manfield:woohoo:

markc
29th August 2008, 18:17
Hi Steve,

If you want to give me your email address (send me a message via the KB private message system if you prefer) and I'll circulate your request to the classic sidecar guys. Cheers, Mark

markc
31st August 2008, 07:15
Hi Steve,

I have emailed your request to all the people on our classic sidecar email list. Cheers, Mark

sidecar bob
1st September 2008, 20:05
Hi Steve,

I have emailed your request to all the people on our classic sidecar email list. Cheers, Mark

Ta mate, i see that.
Hopefully it turns something up.

sidecar bob
1st September 2008, 20:12
my cranks in bits, being reground. Should have it ready again for Taupo in September, although motor will be very fresh, so will probably be happy to settle it down without drama.
Don't worry about that rear exit s**t, get out the front where you should be. Tons of time to clamber round, have a cuppa tea, gotta keep the corner speed up due to lack of acceleration and brakes etc. It does take a bit of getting used to, but thats part of the fun and looks really classy too:2guns:.
My outfits front only, so wont help you. MarkC could send out an email query for you round the section as he's got a current listing.
Mind you that infield section at Manfield can be a bugger to front exit through.
Have fun at Manfield:woohoo:

I fully appreciate the front exit thing & its authenticity, but if you could have gone out the front of Traceys outfit through the infield on the weekend id be surprised, she was hauling arse, her corner speed & direction changes were on a par with Scrivy on the 1300.
Regarding swinging, i dont mind where i pop out, so long as my rider is safe but if i cant gaurantee my rider 100 per cent safety going out the front, then id rather go rear.

scrivy
2nd September 2008, 08:14
I fully appreciate the front thing..... i dont mind where i pop out........ id rather go rear.

I friggin knew it!!! Once a deviate, always a deviate!!! :lol:

sidecar bob
19th September 2008, 17:48
Hey guys, The BMW outfit has basically been a prick to start & has run like shit since i bought it. So today with a quiet afternoon at the workshop, I removed what is supposed to be a flash CC products wild cam & replaced it with a standard one from an R80RT. The difference is unbelievable, It bump starts in its own length & idles like a watch & has more useable power too.
Just got to tidy up the wiring loom now & fit a few new bolts with new nyloc nuts & she'll be sweet for the have a go day!!
I have a minor concern that the Scrivy is going to melt the 135sr15 Michelin Citroen 2cv tyres its fitted with, it can do huuuuge black lines down the street!!

Atlas
19th September 2008, 18:13
My atlas was very competitive with a stock cam and small carbs over 5 seasons, was just starting to develop a smokescreen. Theres a lot to be said for a low maintenance motor! Have got a big day ahead to put the spare motor together tomorrow so I've got an engine to run for next Sunday at Taupo. Which should then also be good for the have a go day too. Hopefully it'll behave itself.:whistle:

sidecar bob
27th September 2008, 11:48
The BMW is all sorted out & looking great, It got a serious thrashing for about 15 minutes yesterday (closed private road of course) & after about 10 minutes the clutch started slipping. I understand that Smithy had no engine breather pipe & when he rode it last, Due to the fact that the rings were std & the bore was .25 over it chundered oil down the back of the engine & onto the clutch plate. The repair at the time, as i heard it, was to chase the oil up with a can of brakleen.
Anyway, new clutch plate ordered & the minor task of installation.
Stento suggested to wrap the wiring loom in plastic spiral wrap, instead of heat shrink, That has proved to be some of the best advice i have had so far, consequently everything is wrapped in it including brake hoses, throttle cables, H.T leads etc.
See you guys at Taupo tomorrow.

scrivy
29th September 2008, 13:40
Bob, I'll east my own faeces if you can take one hand off and wave while going hard out through a series of esses on the BMW like you do on the Busa. The Busa is a doddle to swing on compared to the BMW - no front exits!!!
Oh, I'm barring up for the H.A.G.Day!!!:yes::yes::yes:

sidecar bob
29th September 2008, 14:03
Bob, I'll east my own faeces if you can take one hand off and wave while going hard out through a series of esses on the BMW like you do on the Busa. The Busa is a doddle to swing on compared to the BMW - no front exits!!!
Oh, I'm barring up for the H.A.G.Day!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Bring a spoon pal. :laugh:

scrivy
29th September 2008, 14:07

Does the BMW spin the rear in 4th while 3 wheel drifting and lifting the side as well?? Gotta try that coming onto the front straight......

Oh, BTW, I'll bring me cruskits........

BIHB@0610
29th September 2008, 14:08
Bob, I'll eat my own faeces .... Oh, I'm barring up

:sick::sick::slap:

Atlas
1st October 2008, 10:56
The BMW is all sorted out & looking great, It got a serious thrashing for about 15 minutes yesterday (closed private road of course) & after about 10 minutes the clutch started slipping. I understand that Smithy had no engine breather pipe & when he rode it last, Due to the fact that the rings were std & the bore was .25 over it chundered oil down the back of the engine & onto the clutch plate. The repair at the time, as i heard it, was to chase the oil up with a can of brakleen.
Anyway, new clutch plate ordered & the minor task of installation.
Stento suggested to wrap the wiring loom in plastic spiral wrap, instead of heat shrink, That has proved to be some of the best advice i have had so far, consequently everything is wrapped in it including brake hoses, throttle cables, H.T leads etc.
See you guys at Taupo tomorrow.

The new motor in the norton, showed some promise last weekend, but needs to come out and come down:shit: so isnt a starter for the have a go day. Looks like we wont have it sorted til Wanganui. It was good turn out last weekend, 14 outfits including a couple of moderns.

sidecar bob
1st October 2008, 18:15
The new motor in the norton, showed some promise last weekend, but needs to come out and come down:shit: so isnt a starter for the have a go day. Looks like we wont have it sorted til Wanganui. It was good turn out last weekend, 14 outfits including a couple of moderns.

It was a good turnout allright.
Tracey & Bryan were on the Triumph & it seemed that no amount of sad faces on my part was going to get me on the side with Tracey.
Johnny Blaymires had a virgin swinger on the Guzzi & couldnt push hard, so i got on with him in for the last race, & with one slow warm up lap for practice we layed into it pretty hard from the flag drop & got third behind Bryan & Tracey on the Trumpy & Pete & James on the Norton.