PDA

View Full Version : Ducati = high maintenance - rumour or truth?

Pumba
6th May 2008, 21:55
I did a few serches and found a lot of fragmented information scattered all over the place,

So,

I am having strange thoughts about Ducatis at the moment and need to know if the rumors of high servicings costs, faulty electrical systems, and endless issues that result in more time spent on the side of the road than riding are true?

What is all your educated opinions (I know this is KB so it may be wishfull thinking).

Particulary looking at the monster range here.

Sparky Bills
6th May 2008, 22:08
Personal opinion..
Ducati's dont have a fair rep. Ive worked with them for over 6 years now and to be honest they arnt as bad as people think.
Yes, the services do cost more than the jap bikes. No they dont break down all the time.
Services are done every 10,000k's. between them you shouldnt need to touch them. (Id still change oil every 5 though). Every 20k is the big one. Thats when you do belts, valve clearences etc. The 20K services usually cost just over $1000.

The Monsters are great bikes. Very fun to ride, look and sound great!
What model Monster in particular are you looking at?

JimO
6th May 2008, 22:08
I did a few serches and found a lot of fragmented information scattered all over the place,

So,

I am having strange thoughts about Ducatis at the moment and need to know if the rumors of high servicings costs, faulty electrical systems, and endless issues that result in more time spent on the side of the road than riding are true?

What is all your educated opinions (I know this is KB so it may be wishfull thinking).

Particulary looking at the monster range here.
a mate has had a 900 monster for about 3 years with no problems apart from a fuel guage that dont work, get one of these designed by the guy who designed the monster, made by MV Augusta, TL 1000 suzuki engine, lots more power,http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF1980.jpg

myvice
6th May 2008, 22:11
Get a new one, keep up with the servicing and they seem to be as good as any other bike from Europe.
Parts are not cheap!

If you want to never ever have any issue ever, buy a Honda...
But if you want somthing with sole...

DUCATI*HARD
6th May 2008, 22:14
no matter what you ride,,,its gonna cost ya:eek5:

McJim
6th May 2008, 22:31
I found parts for my Ducati were cheaper....a lot cheaper......than parts for my 250 Honda.

Mike748
6th May 2008, 22:36
Just did the 20K service on mine even though it has only done 12k, it's a Jap import so I gave it the once over and I'm glad I did. It's running heaps smoother with the throttle balancing and smaller front sprocket, the belts needed replacing despite the low K's.
The belt's had sat so long in one place that they were hard and retaining their shape when removed despite the 3,000Km put on it in the few months prior.
I don't know exact cost of the service (too lazy to look for receipt) as I had to repair a damaged rim, get new tyres and get some clutch damage fixed, they don't like impacts on the clutch housing.

I know this hasn't been helpful but I would warn you that these bikes are very addictive, and like any other addiction you'll find the money to get your fix. (no pun intended):doobey:

scumdog
6th May 2008, 22:55
Ask idb about Ducati 'character'......:whistle:

johan
6th May 2008, 23:00
This is my experience, I'm far from experienced, but I've had two Ducatis so far.

I owned a Monster for one year, and I've had my 996 for almost a year now.

I had no big issues with my Monster, it was a 2 valve air cooled injected 900. I changed the break light switch on the front brake and one sparkplug failed. I loved this bike but couldn't afford both bikes and wanted to get into track riding more, so I kept the 996 instead.

The only big issue with my 996 was flaked rockers and the clutch slave cylinder which has been fixed now.

It seems the new generation engines, Testaretta and later, are more reliable when it comes to the internals of the engine (rockers). The electrics saw an upgrade around 1999 I think including the regulator/rectifier/alternator. All these issues are well documented and I'd expect most of them the be dealt with by now on the old bikes.

Here's one overview:
http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ducati-points.htm
Remember, this is a complete list of all issues found on many bikes, I'd expect to get tops one of these per bike.

I wouldn't be too concerned if buying a ten years old Ducati with high kms, I would be more careful in a few years when those 16.000rpm Japanese engines have been revved for ten years.

I'd take a Ducati engine any day.

They are also very fun and easy to work on, if you're into that?

Fatjim
6th May 2008, 23:17
I found it was the little things on my 998 that used to break, like the spring on the seat pivot, and the o-rings on the trumpets. But it sure looked sexy.

shepster
6th May 2008, 23:38
My S2R 800 hasn't missed a beat. Had it for a year now and it's been perfect and the 10 thou service wasn't to bad on the pocket either.

Forest
7th May 2008, 00:53
A couple of minutes ago I purchased a used Ducati on trademe.

Fingers crossed.

nodrog
7th May 2008, 08:04
i had a 996, i met the nicest tow truck drivers and mortgage managers.

but i still wish i had keep it.

desmo dave
7th May 2008, 08:10
A couple of minutes ago I purchased a used Ducati on trademe.

Fingers crossed.What did you get?

Pumba
7th May 2008, 08:23
The Monsters are great bikes. Very fun to ride, look and sound great!
What model Monster in particular are you looking at?

I rode a 2004 Monster 1000s in Tauranga the wekend just gone, and there was just somthing about it that made my ears prick up, although I didnt think that bike was particulary right for me.

After that I have done some reserch on the Monster models (didnt realise there were so many of the dam things) and I would be very keen on testing a S4R monster, to see how that fitted.

Pumba
7th May 2008, 08:27
no matter what you ride,,,its gonna cost ya:eek5:

Not arguing with that, there is a reason the service and parts departments know me at Colemans.

Masterchop
7th May 2008, 09:04
I found it was the little things on my 998 that used to break, like the spring on the seat pivot,

And what do you weigh?

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 09:46
Every 20k is the big one. Thats when you do belts, valve clearences etc. The 20K services usually cost just over $1000.

Is it the cost of the belts that is the the expensive part?

It seems kind of expensive for a belt replacement and a valve check. I wouldn't have thought it would take more than two to three hours, epecially of its a 2 valve model. Or is there a whole lot of other things that need to be checked as well?

People generally associate Ducatis with high maitenance costs, dealers wouldn't charge an inflated cost to meet this expectation, would they?
The customer get the bill and its fairly large, but just puts this down to what Ducatis cost.

Dooly
7th May 2008, 09:49
I think the Ducati servicing paranoia, if called that, can probably be attributed to the old shitters from years gone by.
Modern ones are fine, if not the same or better than Jappas.
I service my own bikes, so cost except for parts is'nt really an issue for me.

My neighbour has a mint 82 Ducati Darma, thats always giving probs, but its always only electrics.
And then only finicky things.

Drew
7th May 2008, 09:54
The factory belts are expensive, but there is an aftermarket option available I'm told.

The reliability is surprisingly good with the newer ones, I've raped the hell out of my race bike and it still runs great.

The S4R is a WICKED piece of kit, our sponsor Kerry at www.ktlbikes.co.nz has a black one at the moment that I was gonna buy, but decided I dont need another bike, give him a yell.

Quasievil
7th May 2008, 09:56
Post 1998 Ducatis have better electrics
I had the 2004 999, and it gave me know probs, service was about $250 for a standard one, the 20,000km service needs new belts and that will cost about $1000 so yup thats expensive but sweet motor and reliable as hell

2wheeldrifter
7th May 2008, 09:59
Just had mine serviced with Hamilton motorcycles, had the bike for about year and it was due for the 20,000km service.
Cost me $606.00, 2xBelts,Oil,oil filter,Brake/clutch fluid changed,Chain lubed and tensioned,Values checked-(all in spec) All bearings etc checked. Bike washed as part of your service, no cost. I never removed any fairings. I thought that was pretty good overall, and friendly guys. There would of been a air filter in that service, but I have a K&N.

The bike has been nothing but pure pleasure with that big grinin sound effect from the V-Twin. Have placed Staintune pipes and SFI unit with the air box been modded for more air. There's mods have been on for 3 months and with no problems. The pipes and SFI unit have made a huge diff in throttle response, in much the same feel as the ST4s, these mods have made it far more lively with great sounds from pipes and alittle from the air box.

So for me I love it and the cost??????? I can handle that for such a Bike!:first:

johan
7th May 2008, 10:00
Browse this site for mods and parts just to get and idea of what's available:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/motowheels/ITALIAN/index.cfm

http://www.motowheels.com

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 10:08
Cost me $606.00, 2xBelts,Oil,oil filter,Brake/clutch fluid changed,Chain lubed and tensioned,Values checked-(all in spec) All bearings etc checked

Thats more like it, by why pay to have someone to adjust your chain/check the bearings and change oil/fluids? I mean thats stuff you can do yourself or get a mate to help you with one weekend.

So the actual cost of the service on absolutely neccessary stuff - just doing belts and valves would be a far more realistic price.

2wheeldrifter
7th May 2008, 10:27
Thats more like it, by why pay to have someone to adjust your chain/check the bearings and change oil/fluids? I mean thats stuff you can do yourself or get a mate to help you with one weekend.

So the actual cost of the service on absolutely neccessary stuff - just doing belts and valves would be a far more realistic price.

Yeah your right, but I was happy for a once over from some pro's, otherwise yes I would do all those little things myself. Guess just piece of mind.

Pumba
7th May 2008, 10:33
Reading through this so far there doesnt seem to be to much negitaive coments, dam, might have to go test one after all:bash:.

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 10:37
Yeah your right, but I was happy for a once over from some pro's, otherwise yes I would do all those little things myself. Guess just piece of mind.

Oh I see. And I wasn't trying to have a dig at ya mate, its just that I am looking at getting a Ducati at some stage, and am really interested in the costs involved in running one. Im particularly interested what costs im looking at if i was just to get the 'must haves' checked.

Basically, im a cheap bastard and want to know whats the least ill have to pay a dealer to keep it running fine. The little stuff like oil etc, I will take care of myself.

2wheeldrifter
7th May 2008, 10:44
Oh I see. And I wasn't trying to have a dig at ya mate, its just that I am looking at getting a Ducati at some stage, and am really interested in the costs involved in running one. Im particularly interested what costs im looking at if i was just to get the 'must haves' checked.

Basically, im a cheap bastard and want to know whats the least ill have to pay a dealer to keep it running fine. The little stuff like oil etc, I will take care of myself.

Hey no worries here mate, I get your meaning. The belts were $100.00 each, You can get cheaper one's.... think around the $65 - $75.00 if you look around. The valves if needed shim's etc is maybe were the cost is. You would save a fair bit without the little things in that cost and having all the fairings off.

Drew
7th May 2008, 10:52

Bro, I can do more than just the simple stuff on one for ya. Belts are well inside my abilities, as are checking the valve clearances. So get off your chuff and go buy it!!!

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 10:59
Cheers Drew, but what happens should it lunch itself...i dont recall an MTA certificate hanging in your garage!

The lady says im allowed a new bike, so it just a matter of finding a goodie at a good price. As I said, im a cheap bastard.

Drew
7th May 2008, 11:26
Cheers Drew, but what happens should it lunch itself...i dont recall an MTA certificate hanging in your garage!

The lady says im allowed a new bike, so it just a matter of finding a goodie at a good price. As I said, im a cheap bastard.

After the factory warrantee runs out, no body will pay out if your bike shits itself anyway bro. The belts are so simple YOU could do them, and checking the clearances is a piece of piss. If they do need adjusting you can then take it to the shop, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Anyhoo, now that you've got Banana on side, find a bike you like and I know a guy...

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 11:40
Trouble is your guy doesn't do trade in's.

Dont know if i can be bothered selling privately...getting tyre kickers and answering the dumb questions you get on trademe.

vifferman
7th May 2008, 11:49
If you want to never ever have any issue ever, buy a Honda...
Hmmmm... not strictly correct.
I've had seven Hondas (or is it eight?), and the camchains and tensioners (on those that had them) were all crap. The R/Rs can also be crap, due to Honda fitting the wrong ones prior to about 2000.
I've done a lot of work on my current Honda, but apart from tyres, filters, fluids and brake pads, none of it was necessary.

I *do* have an itch for a Ducati though (to go with the Ducati keyring I bought in 1994...)

Pumba
7th May 2008, 12:29
The S4R is a WICKED piece of kit, our sponsor Kerry at www.ktlbikes.co.nz has a black one at the moment that I was gonna buy, but decided I dont need another bike, give him a yell.

Just klicked on the link and realised that the KTL bikes operates out of Motohaus (not down in that windy Wellington place). Considering they are two minutes (maybe, but only if I hit traffic) up the road I shall have to drop in on them.

They have a nice yellow one advertised as well

avgas
7th May 2008, 12:46
haha everybike is expensive. I just forked out well over $2.5K get a bike up to scratch without even touching the cosmetics.

Morcs
7th May 2008, 13:00
a TL will eat a 996 for breakfast and wont need an AA membership.

Enough said.

marty
7th May 2008, 13:07
a mate has had a 900 monster for about 3 years with no problems apart from a fuel guage that dont work, get one of these designed by the guy who designed the monster, made by MV Augusta, TL 1000 suzuki engine, lots more power,http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF1980.jpg

geez mate - when was the last time you took that boat out?

Usarka
7th May 2008, 13:12
Women are high maintenance too but it doesn't stop us going back to ride the ones that look good and perform well.

megageoff76
7th May 2008, 13:17
Too true mate. But the downside is you lose half on a trade in.

chubby
7th May 2008, 13:24
Women are high maintenance too but it doesn't stop us going back to ride the ones that look good and perform well.

well put. Every manufacturer has a reputation for something. Most of it comes from past indiscretions that no longer exist. As I see it new bikes are built to a high standard, keep up routine maintenance and you have covered yourself for everything but the unexpected. Shit happens no matter the make or model. If it isn't new then there are other who have experienced them and they can pass on their knowledge.

Buying a bike is never based on logic. Its a passion (thats buying the bike, not which bike). Then look at what stirs your blood, what feels right to you and what'll give YOU pleasure.

I think you may have decided which bike you really want....:cool:

Drew
7th May 2008, 14:09
a TL will eat a 996 for breakfast and wont need an AA membership.

Enough said.

I'm all about the TL man, but it will get it's ass handed to it beyond any question by a 996. Even a drag race will see the Suzi come second.

Morcs
7th May 2008, 15:23
I'm all about the TL man, but it will get it's ass handed to it beyond any question by a 996. Even a drag race will see the Suzi come second.

Both are specified to doing 10.8 quarter miles.

I manage to do a 11.3 on the TL with potential to do 11 if I can put my best reaction times with my best starts.

Eddieb
7th May 2008, 17:06
Had my 888 (For sale, hint, hint) for 6 years. It left me on the side of the road once when I was having too much fun and ran out of petrol, can't blame the bike for that.

I went away on a FAST 3 day trip once with a VFR800, ST800? those honda tourer things the cops use sometimes, and a ZXR750.

The headlight vibrated out of alignment on the VFR, a mirror fell off the tourer and the remote reservoir rattled off the ZXR then it failed to start for a while. Nothing went wrong with the Duc, even after 36 hours of sitting in torrentail rain it started first push of the button.

I've ran an 11.7 on the 888, and I'm crap at launching.

flame
7th May 2008, 17:16

Got the sexy 999 sitting in our garage right now :) .....and a super good price of course:niceone:

DesmoJohnny
7th May 2008, 18:01
Pumba
Had my S4R a couple of years now - no issues at all. See her here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=154257377

Also had a 916 in 95 - the only issue with that was a starter relay.
Have owned 2 other monsters,one was a '94 and suffered from chaffed engine loom at the headstock.The other was a 97 and was hassle free, along with a 996 I had before the S4R.
The belts put the price of the 20k service up, and the 4 valve models have a few extra items to check at the services. Just had a 20k done and cost under $700 (Ducati mechanic - not a dealer)

If you can, go for the S4R, you won't regret it ! :2thumbsup

Pumba
7th May 2008, 21:11
Pumba
Had my S4R a couple of years now - no issues at all. See her here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=154257377

Beutifull, plenty of fruit as well, curiosity question, what sort of km would you get out of a tank?

DesmoJohnny
7th May 2008, 21:32
Beutifull, plenty of fruit as well, curiosity question, what sort of km would you get out of a tank?

Riding real hard would generally see the fuel light on around 170-180kms.
During last years Southern Cross I would get about 210kms before the light.
I think there is 2 litres after the light ?
The tank holds 15 litres - which is probably the only bad thing about the monster.

McJim
7th May 2008, 21:36
I want to upgrade to this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-148640979.htm so much it hurts.

Wife, 2 kids and a mortgage means I keep the six hundy :(

Sensei
7th May 2008, 21:38
My 750 SuperLite & 93 907ie where great runners but always felt like you hurt them when you kaned them but never let me down . Still no where as strong as my Rotax motor by along way .

Animal
8th May 2008, 05:33
The only troublesome Ducati I've owned was a 750 Paso. It was a nightmare to tune because of that nasty automotive carb. The others have been fine, although the 900 Darmah had been neglected by previous owners and cost a fortune to replace many of the damaged bits. The 916 and 998 were trouble-free throughout the time I owned them.

I've always maintained my own bikes, so the only unavoidable cost is that of parts and consumables, and honestly, I think it's academic. All bike parts are expensive, irrespective of breed. The variable is the labour charges. I've always made a point of getting quotes for maintenance, purely for the novelty of knowing how much I'm NOT spending by doing the work myself.

However, for me it's not about the money I'm saving. I actually enjoy working on my toys when I'm not riding them. Yeah, I know, apparently I'm crazy, but I do get a great deal of satisfaction and pleasure out of tinkering. Changing the shims on a CBX1000 is another issue though. Particularly as it wasn't my own bike!

popelli
10th May 2008, 04:41
Hmmmm... not strictly correct.
I've had seven Hondas (or is it eight?), and the camchains and tensioners (on those that had them) were all crap. The R/Rs can also be crap, due to Honda fitting the wrong ones prior to about 2000.
I've done a lot of work on my current Honda, but apart from tyres, filters, fluids and brake pads, none of it was necessary.

I *do* have an itch for a Ducati though (to go with the Ducati keyring I bought in 1994...)

only ever had one honda road bike - it was nothing but trouble

have a ducati and wife has a ducati - both far better bikes than any honda I have ever owned

Drew
10th May 2008, 09:11
only ever had one honda road bike - it was nothing but trouble

have a ducati and wife has a ducati - both far better bikes than any honda I have ever owned

Any bike has the potential to be a lemon though. It's jusk how it is with machinery of any type.

Insanity_rules
11th May 2008, 00:14
Am kicking round the idea of getting a monster myself, haven't tested one yet. Like the hard core naked sport type machines and Duc's sound like sex on a stick. Sounds like they have a lot going for them.

xwhatsit
11th May 2008, 01:15
Changing the shims on a CBX1000 is another issue though. Particularly as it wasn't my own bike!
Ahaha 24 valves. Sucker. And I complain about doing the screw/locknut tappets on my 4-valve :D

Everybody knows Ducs fall to pieces because the factory workers (and engineers wot design them) are all oversexed and drunk and belching garlic fumes.

Should buy a bike from a country where the women are ugly and fat, the food is shithouse, and so is the alcohol.

Anybody want a Norton?

jim.cox
12th May 2008, 13:20
Ahaha 24 valves. Sucker. And I complain about doing the screw/locknut tappets on my 4-valve :D

Everybody knows Ducs fall to pieces because the factory workers (and engineers wot design them) are all oversexed and drunk and belching garlic fumes.

Should buy a bike from a country where the women are ugly and fat, the food is shithouse, and so is the alcohol.

Anybody want a Norton?

Funny you should say that - I sold a Notrun to buy a Ducati

Dooly
13th May 2008, 08:32
Am off to Oz in a few weeks and want to check out a few Duc shops and did some googling, found this.....

http://www.ducatibrisbane.com.au/files/msp2007.pdf

HornetBoy
13th May 2008, 08:38
Am off to Oz in a few weeks and want to check out a few Duc shops and did some googling, found this.....

http://www.ducatibrisbane.com.au/files/msp2007.pdf

Thats not too bad really ,less than i always thought it was for duc's

Maybe i will get a 848 then ;)

Dooly
13th May 2008, 09:03
Thats not too bad really ,less than i always thought it was for duc's

Maybe i will get a 848 then ;)

Naa........go for a 1098.:2thumbsup

Swoop
13th May 2008, 09:14
Just klicked on the link and realised that the KTL bikes operates out of Motohaus (not down in that windy Wellington place). Considering they are two minutes (maybe, but only if I hit traffic) up the road I shall have to drop in on them.

They have a nice yellow one advertised as well
A damn good place! I commented on the pricetag, which was hanging from one of the bikes there, as it seemed too cheap. "I'm here to sell bikes, not have them sitting around" replied Kerry!:woohoo::Punk:

Drew
13th May 2008, 09:55
A damn good place! I commented on the pricetag, which was hanging from one of the bikes there, as it seemed too cheap. "I'm here to sell bikes, not have them sitting around" replied Kerry!:woohoo::Punk:

He's good like that:first:

He doesn't have space for all his stock either, so ask if you are after anything in particular.

idb
13th May 2008, 15:05
Ask idb about Ducati 'character'......:whistle:

I do all my own maintenance you know.

I have total faith that nothing can possibly go wring.

Richard Mc F
13th May 2008, 19:06

Nice......:clap::clap::clap: just blew red wine through my nose......40000 km, 20000 on my own engine rebuilding ( god loves an optomist) and counting

Drew
13th May 2008, 20:00

I subscribe to the same theory. nothing can go wrong, there's nothing to stop it:done:

idb
14th May 2008, 07:34
I got the 888 with 32,000 on it and I don't think it had ever been serviced.

I had a whole lot of little things go wrong with it but I've worked my way through them and now it's as reliable as.
I took all winter a couple of years ago to do the shims and belts but that was just because I wanted to take my time and make sure I had all the right gear, it isn't difficult.

I got the Darmah with a similar mileage and it has been almost totally reliable over 9 years, in fact I took it to Europe last year and clocked up about 7,500ks.
It had a couple of little issues but it is 30 years old and because I work on the bike myself I know it well and nothing was too daunting to fix.

The simple answer is that if you keep the maintenance up to a Ducati there is no reason why it shouldn't be as reliable as any other bike.

jim.cox
14th May 2008, 10:02
40000 km, 20000 on my own engine rebuilding ( god loves an optomist) and counting

So are you another victim of that dreaded bevel ducati premature botom-end roller bearing failure?

idb
14th May 2008, 11:15
So are you another victim of that dreaded bevel ducati premature botom-end roller bearing failure?

Not me...I've got well over 50,000ks on my bevel and the cases have never been split.

desmo dave
14th May 2008, 12:35
Not me...I've got well over 50,000ks on my bevel and the cases have never been split. Without the cases being parted .Like any bike if you get a good1 keep it.

Marmoot
14th May 2008, 15:23

Yes, funny chap.
Absolutely love him on how he makes the deals.

Marmoot
14th May 2008, 15:24
P.S.

It's a bit hard to count how many 916/748 variants posting in this thread...can anyone help?