PDA

View Full Version : Air leak from exhaust.

zeocen
9th May 2008, 13:17
Hey ho~

I installed a Micron exhaust on my ER6F the other day and it's been back firing heavily, I was suggested there could be an air leak and putting my hand where the slip on meets the downpipe I can definitely feel air pumping out in the time of the exhaust sounds.

Would this be the problem? How do I fix it, would it just be simply tightening up the area surrounding the air leak?

Cheers!

nodrog
9th May 2008, 13:32
Hey ho~

I installed a Micron exhaust on my ER6F the other day and it's been back firing heavily, I was suggested there could be an air leak and putting my hand where the slip on meets the downpipe I can definitely feel air pumping out in the time of the exhaust sounds.

Would this be the problem? How do I fix it, would it just be simply tightening up the area surrounding the air leak?

Cheers!

how tight was the fit when you put the exhaust in? the standard ER has a steel wool sleeve thingee between the header and the exhaust, most after market pipes dont require using this though.

if it was a pretty tight fit just try tightening the clamp more, make sure the new exhaust is pushed in as far as it goes too.

nodrog
9th May 2008, 13:35
have you noticed the bike surging at all at around town speeds since you installed the exhaust?

zeocen
9th May 2008, 13:35
The fit felt pretty tight, although it did slip in quite easily..

I'll give the suggestions you gave a try, also the backfiring tends to happen most when I'm off the throttle, and then putting the throttle back on again, if that's any help for diagnosing.

thanks a lot !

McJim
9th May 2008, 13:37
I had the same problem with my Ducati - just ask Mav - he was laughing his tits off at the footlong flame coming out of my exhaust every time I throttled off. My problem was caused because a header bolt had fallen off so it was leaking air at the engine end.

Just a thought to check that too.

Wheeliemonsta
9th May 2008, 13:41
Gidday Zeocen,
The exhaust needs to be 100% sealed to do it's job properly, so address that problem first & see if theres any improvement, although I'd be doubtfull...

I'm picking the reason for the backfiring will be that the Air / Fuel ratio has gone way to lean with the fitment of the new can in which case your only real option now, is to fit a Power Commander & have the thing re mapped to suit the new pipe...

While your there you may as well fit a decent aftermarket air cleaner to it & be done with it... (B.M.C K&N D.N.A in order of preference)

In as far as getting the thing on a dyno goes, give Brett Roberts a call on 027 590-7462, he's based in Otahuhu & generally will book you after hours

Cheers

:rockon:

zeocen
9th May 2008, 14:01
The clamps were fairly loose for some reason (?) so I tightened them up, and now the exhaust touches the swing arm... so what the hell man, I don't know what's going on. :(

Cr1MiNaL
9th May 2008, 14:06
whats wrong with backfiring? Its what all the cool kids are doing.

zeocen
9th May 2008, 14:14
Never fear, I have Donor on his way to hopefully fix my mistakes, will update on how she goes. I also contacted Virgin Mufflers to get the decibel rating down (people I purchased the pipe off seemed to omitt to tell me they gave me a RACE PIPE and not a road legal pipe like I asked). So I will let y'all know how VM get it sorted too, heard good things about them.

nodrog
9th May 2008, 14:20
The clamps were fairly loose for some reason (?) so I tightened them up, and now the exhaust touches the swing arm... so what the hell man, I don't know what's going on. :(

it sounds like you have the main clamps (the ones around the body of the exhaust) all cocked up, if there was an additional bracket (like the jardine can has) that is bolted to the factory mounting point, it may be istalled the wrong way around. if that is all sweet, just losen everything off and fit it up again.

Sollyboy
9th May 2008, 14:25
Hey ho~

Cheers!

A small amount of neutral cure silicone is good for leaks like that , try to reassemble with silicone and let it set overnight the silicone must be cured before presure apply so dont start it right away, it may still back fire after sealing the leak because a pipe like that can affect the cams effective overlap timing cause it to pass fuel thru the combust chamber unburn

vifferman
9th May 2008, 14:31
A small amount of neutral cure silicone is good for leaks like that ...
Hi-temp silly coon is more betterer!
On my VTR1000, it was all that was holding the endcaps in! :first: