PDA

View Full Version : Fucked off beyond words....a new level of fucked off-ness

ital916
10th May 2008, 12:48
Well, just found out why the bike is such a gutless fucking wonder. The front cylinder is 100% rooted. So now both cylinders need a re-bore and new pistons and rings, thank god the bottom ends are fine. The bike has 30000 kilometers on it and the cylinders are rooted, what twat has been abusing my beloved purchase. When bought I was told henderson motorcycles had looked at it and said that it was a carby problem,hahahahaha I wish it was a carby problem. Mechanic says most likely it's been around the clock before and the speedo is wound. So now I need to pay to get the engine re done, parts will prob be from oz or ex japan meaning fucking long waiing times, and even longer to fix her. She won't be running for ages and I am fucked off beyond words, I'm sure I'm giving off an aura of evil as every living thing around me seems to be keeping it's distance. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm not a happy camper! She is a gorgeous bike but at the moment is nothing more than a fucking paper weight. So i'm bikeless *six weeks now* and will be for a while yet, I just want to buy a gn now, something that has two wheels a motor and runs without breaking down. I can't even type what I'm thinking as it's too raw lol, angry is an understatement. Carby problem my ass. sigh, I just want to ride again. I really do have the worst luck, karma is a bitch, I must have a been a fucking dictator or something in my past life.

xwhatsit
10th May 2008, 12:58
Stop listening to the death metal and calm down.

Tell the bike shops to go shove it -- it must be possible to get some +.25 pistons and rings somewhere. Maybe even Virago ones, although they'll probably be lower compression ratio. A rebore is a quick job you can give to any car engine rebuild place and they'll do it in a day. Then it's a simple matter of getting hold of a head gasket and a base gasket (just in case) and you're away.

So how do you know it needs a rebore? Did the mechanic tell you? What was the reason he gave?

Maha
10th May 2008, 13:05
fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucked FUCK! fucking fucking fucking fucking

Im sensing a little frustration and anger here?...;)

Str8 Jacket
10th May 2008, 13:07
Whoah! Someone shouldnt own a 2 smoker now should they! Calm down, breathe and think rationally. Once you get the poor wee thing sorted you'll be grinning like an idiot once again when its back on the road running sweeeeet!

ital916
10th May 2008, 13:08
Stop listening to the death metal and calm down.

Tell the bike shops to go shove it -- it must be possible to get some +.25 pistons and rings somewhere. Maybe even Virago ones, although they'll probably be lower compression ratio. A rebore is a quick job you can give to any car engine rebuild place and they'll do it in a day. Then it's a simple matter of getting hold of a head gasket and a base gasket (just in case) and you're away.

So how do you know it needs a rebore? Did the mechanic tell you? What was the reason he gave?

Na the virago has a different head to the to the srv even though it's basically the same motor, will need new one that fit maybe from a xt100 or something the mechanic said, if not then aftermarket or genuine ones from overseas, basically the cylinder is just worn out, when he removed the head you could put the piston in and it would just fall out lol, the rings were totally fucked and at some point in time it had busted it's valves indicated by the chunks missing and big gouges. I'm calm now, just needed to vent as it was the last thing I needed to hear today, lots of bad news at the same time and death metal doesn't make me angry, busted bikes do lol Umm the rebore I have been told can be cheap and then another person says its gonna cost a fortune.

MIXONE
10th May 2008, 13:09
I know where I wont be buying my next bike from!!
Hang in there.

ital916
10th May 2008, 13:09
Whoah! Someone shouldnt own a 2 smoker now should they! Calm down, breathe and think rationally. Once you get the poor wee thing sorted you'll be grinning like an idiot once again when its back on the road running sweeeeet!

My two stroker was a hell of a lot easier to live with, she was a great wee bike my rg and shall be sorely missed.

Ragingrob
10th May 2008, 13:22
Wow that sucks! Dude did you check out the official k's before you bought it? Oh boy this bike is costing you a fair bit!

ital916
10th May 2008, 13:36
Wow that sucks! Dude did you check out the official k's before you bought it? Oh boy this bike is costing you a fair bit!

yeah officially its thirty thousand...yeah right lol

Choco
10th May 2008, 13:52
Bugger man.
I might look to sell my GN in a month or so (if I can get myself a job).
Interested? ;)

ital916
10th May 2008, 14:06
Bugger man.
I might look to sell my GN in a month or so (if I can get myself a job).
Interested? ;)

Dude I'm hoping to have the bike running in two weeks hopefully

Choco
10th May 2008, 14:12
Dude I'm hoping to have the bike running in two weeks hopefully

Can't wait to see it bro, wonder how it will handle gravel.... :bleh:

xwhatsit
10th May 2008, 14:33
Na the virago has a different head to the to the srv even though it's basically the same motor, will need new one that fit maybe from a xt100 or something the mechanic said, if not then aftermarket or genuine ones from overseas, basically the cylinder is just worn out, when he removed the head you could put the piston in and it would just fall out lol, the rings were totally fucked and at some point in time it had busted it's valves indicated by the chunks missing and big gouges. I'm calm now, just needed to vent as it was the last thing I needed to hear today, lots of bad news at the same time and death metal doesn't make me angry, busted bikes do lol Umm the rebore I have been told can be cheap and then another person says its gonna cost a fortune.
Maybe different head, but I bet the conrod/crank is dead similar and so are the bore/stroke, so pistons should be fine. Probably lower compression ratio though. Just more options.

Pull off the bores, take them to a reconditioner, ask them how much they need to be taken out -- 0.25mm is the usual step -- then source appropriate pistons. Get the boring done now, save some time. Order head gaskets and base gaskets now, there's no working around them.

Tell your mechanic to shove it, this is a job you can source the parts yourself cheaply and put new pistons and rings in in an afternoon.

If you still had the RG150, this would be happening every 50,000kms :bye:

EJK
10th May 2008, 15:58
Yo Drider, Welcome to my life! :hug: lol

Jacko2
10th May 2008, 16:03
Dushy,
Why is it your mechanic is now saying the front cylinder is stuffed after you (I presume) paid him to get it going, then had it returned to you not right? Did he not test before handing back?
By your other thread, I see a couple of people tested the compression, and it came out OK.
When I had it, it did a valve. I replaced with new, had head cleaned up by a engine reconditioner who also seated the valve. It then had the problem you encountered. (No power)
I then had the compression tested, was fine, which, to me and from advise from others indicated the carbs, possibly from sitting. Diaphrams??
As for the mileage, don't know. All anybody can go on is that recorded on importation, subsequent redgistrations and change of ownerships.
I would get Steven or one of the experienced lads to have a look at the bore before paying your mechanic any more dough.
JACKO

Coyote
10th May 2008, 16:10
She is a gorgeous bike but at the moment is nothing more than a fucking paper weight. So i'm bikeless *six weeks now* and will be for a while yet, I just want to buy a gn now, something that has two wheels a motor and runs without breaking down.
Hoo boy, absolutely know how you feel right there. My bike has been giving me grief for the last year and has finally broken down. Though at least I think it's fixable, but how long will it last afterwards I can't be sure. I'm very keen on getting a Yamaha Jog. It'll be great having something clean, shiney, new, reliable, a full service history (since I'll be responsible for it!) and most of all, something that can do at least 50k :p

As soon as I start making money (student doing work experience currently) I'm going to the local Yamaha dealer and getting one. I used to work there, I should get a good deal :D

Squiggles
10th May 2008, 17:16
Rebores arent expensive, replating or resleeving is. Pistons and rings, well depends how common the bike is

ital916
10th May 2008, 17:30
The mechanic I take it to is a good guy, he is independant and knows his stuff pretty well. He is ringing red baron on monday to see how much new piston heads will costs with rings. I will try through work tomorrow to also get a costs. He pulled the rear one off just after I left so hopefully will get them rebored next week and by the end of the week the new pistons and rings put in. Jacko, he got the front running but it was a real smoker then the front didn't work again so I took it back and then he went even further in and found the problem. The carbs were completely disassembled cleaned and put back together, both diaphragms are okay and the carbies work. The cylinder is rooted and even if not repaired within 500 miles would probably root itself anyway, a problem that will happen sooner or later so better to be fixed now. Hehe at least ill have the honour of have a 260cc bike haha;)

motorbyclist
10th May 2008, 18:26
Well, just found out why the bike is such a gutless fucking wonder. The front cylinder is 100% rooted. So now both cylinders need a re-bore and new pistons and rings, thank god the bottom ends are fine. The bike has 30000 kilometers on it and the cylinders are rooted, what twat has been abusing my beloved purchase. When bought I was told henderson motorcycles had looked at it and said that it was a carby problem,hahahahaha I wish it was a carby problem

yeah.... what did i say about that place? never seen a bike come back from there that didn't have more problems than when it went in

A rebore is a quick job you can give to any car engine rebuild place and they'll do it in a day.

that's a bloody good idea.... can their equipment do such a small cylinder?

he finally binned the two smoker, this is a four smoker that acts like a two smoker!

the rings were totally fucked and at some point in time it had busted it's valves indicated by the chunks missing and big gouges.

wait, no blue smoke at all and compression test wasn't too bad

seen the valves?

Hoo boy, absolutely know how you feel right there. My bike has been giving me grief for the last year and has finally broken down.

wait, your NC30 or the pocket rocket?

Rebores arent expensive, replating or resleeving is. Pistons and rings, well depends how common the bike is
ah, that's why i thought it cost so much i was thinking (and described) a re-sleeve not a re-bore

for the rebore, how do they do it? grind? turn? big ol' drill?

Coyote
10th May 2008, 18:38
wait, your NC30 or the pocket rocket?
The NC30. Ran out of gas with a full tank. Yet to tear it apart and find out what the problem is. Suspect it's the fuel tap vacuum diaphragm thingamajig.

The minimoto is a fine piece of Chinese engineering :D

dangerous
10th May 2008, 18:44
Fucked off beyond words....a new level of fucked off-ness gutless fucking wonder. rooted, rooted, twat fucking long waiing times, I am fucked off fucking paper weight. I must have a been a fucking dictator or something in my past life.

hmmm.. chill out man, no one will be interested in helping such a angry abusive person, its just a bloody bike... it is reparable.

How about you tell us what it is for a start? (ya profile is weird,THE ANNIHILATOR...junior)
Now when its all sorted and I can bet that it wont beas hard and painfull as you make out... you will have a mint as mint thing, once on the other side it will all make sence.

Some how I think you have a lot to learn about life, as this sorta thing happens to us all... simpily, fix it.

motorbyclist
10th May 2008, 19:09
The NC30. Ran out of gas with a full tank. Yet to tear it apart and find out what the problem is. Suspect it's the fuel tap vacuum diaphragm thingamajig.

The minimoto is a fine piece of Chinese engineering :D

right, for a second there i though you somehow munted the engine - a while ago (and this is the only mechanical issue it's given me so far) was a vacuum hose dropping off a rear carby, causing the single cylinder to die... though i think in the near future i'm to have to have a look at the clutch and valve clearance

the chinese bike being broken is of course implied by it being chinese. only times mine has worked without problems are between it's getting started up until it's turned off. one day i'll figure the mix out and it'll start a second time without needing the plug pulled out, looked at, popped back in without touching it, and fingers crossed she goes otherwise cleaning shit blocking the fuel jet is required, or bolting on the missing engine component that rattled off, or replacing the starter rope (been sweet ever since i nicked one from an old stihl chainsaw)

Hanne
10th May 2008, 19:30
At least it is stil la pretty colour Dushy. At least it is nice to look at.
And I'm sure MOTAT would love a donation if you think your relationship with the vehicle is irreconcilable.

Coyote
10th May 2008, 20:36
right, for a second there i though you somehow munted the engine - a while ago (and this is the only mechanical issue it's given me so far) was a vacuum hose dropping off a rear carby, causing the single cylinder to die... though i think in the near future i'm to have to have a look at the clutch and valve clearance

the chinese bike being broken is of course implied by it being chinese. only times mine has worked without problems are between it's getting started up until it's turned off. one day i'll figure the mix out and it'll start a second time without needing the plug pulled out, looked at, popped back in without touching it, and fingers crossed she goes otherwise cleaning shit blocking the fuel jet is required, or bolting on the missing engine component that rattled off, or replacing the starter rope (been sweet ever since i nicked one from an old stihl chainsaw)
The vacuum hose has fallen off the tap before. That's how I learnt about them after I ended up getting a lift home on the trailer. That's still there though so it's a problem elsewhere. Got some instructions on how to bypass the tap, hopefully that might solves matters. Or I'll see what's else is wrong whilst I'm at it.

Since I started to run my minimoto on my brother's MX bike fuel it's running a whole lot better. He's running a 30:1 mixing ratio. I'm waiting for the day when I get plug problems, haven't yet for some strange reason.

Swoop
10th May 2008, 22:46
yeah.... what did i say about that place? never seen a bike come back from there that didn't have more problems than when it went in
Hmm. I wonder if there is a link between this and The Stranger changing his sig. line?

The Stranger
10th May 2008, 23:15
Hmm. I wonder if there is a link between this and The Stranger changing his sig. line?

None at all.

That and I haven't seen anything here to suggest there is a problem with their service. The original post states

"When bought I was told henderson motorcycles had looked at it and said that it was a carby problem"

There is no indication that Henderson Motorcycles even looked at it or that they in fact even said that. Indeed, it would appear that the person whom he bought the bike off may well have been frugal with the truth in respect to the milage and thus may very well have been less than straight up about this also.
It is also entierly possible that they did say there was a carby problem, and it would appear that there was. However what was asked of them, what problem were they asked to resolve?

How anyone can leap to the conclusion that Henderson Motorcycles are at any fault from the information provided is beyond me.

If the owner feels that they are, I would strongly suggest that they take it up with the manager in the first instance.

The Stranger
10th May 2008, 23:28
I replaced the front rotors on a GSXR 1000 here a couple of weeks ago.
The bike had done 23,000km - apparently, yet totally rooted a set of front rotors.
Having seen what rotors from one that had done 60,000 hard km looks like, you would think this thing had done 75,000km.
Front wheel bearing seals were missing and the rotors had previously been replaced - I know this because the rotor bolts were loose and had no locktite on them at all, which probably means they had been off at least twice before.
The rotor bolts had been drilled for lock wires so obviously it had been a race bike, however, I have never seen a race bike so poorly maintained, were I a betting man, I would bet it had done the equivalent of 75,000km

Still I am sure he got it at a good price for a bike done 23,000km.

Moral of the storey, if you don't know what you are buying, get it checked by someone who does.

xwhatsit
10th May 2008, 23:43
that's a bloody good idea.... can their equipment do such a small cylinder?Well, it's a twin I suppose, so the bore will be quite small, but I've read about people getting 250 singles done at a car place. Hell of a lot cheaper than taking it to the shop.

Drider -- stay away from motorcycle shops entirely. Does anybody know the Yamaha equivalent of Econohonda or David Silver spares? You want to talk to those sort of people. Bike shop will have horrific mark-up and take months.

And promise me you're not going to have anybody do the labour. This is an easy job -- I'll give you a hand, by the looks of his paperweights Squiggles has done more than a few pistons himself before.

What I would like to see is what the bores look like. Who is this mechanic anyway? There was a workshop manual kicking around somewhere for the SRV right? Check what the bore should be and service limits etc., although it wouldn't just be wear, it'd be a big gouge or something (where'd that come from? The valve damage?).

Not enough info yet. Too much panicking.

ital916
11th May 2008, 02:42
hmmm.. chill out man, no one will be interested in helping such a angry abusive person, its just a bloody bike... it is reparable.

How about you tell us what it is for a start? (ya profile is weird,THE ANNIHILATOR...junior)
Now when its all sorted and I can bet that it wont beas hard and painfull as you make out... you will have a mint as mint thing, once on the other side it will all make sence.

Some how I think you have a lot to learn about life, as this sorta thing happens to us all... simpily, fix it.

Haha it alright to vent though, i'm not an angry person, I just recieved lots of bad news today, not all bike related and it is easy enough to say chill out but when your stuck in a long string of bad luck then "chillin out" is easier said than done mate. I'm thankful for all the advice given and don't want to come across as abusive but my start into motorcycling was rocky enough, I was hoping with the two stroke gone that this bike would be the second wind, I love her to bits but did not factor in that I would have to recondition the engine.

ital916
11th May 2008, 02:43
At least it is stil la pretty colour Dushy. At least it is nice to look at.
And I'm sure MOTAT would love a donation if you think your relationship with the vehicle is irreconcilable.

Thanks H :hug:, yeah she is very pretty and soon will be a pretty working bike lol

motorbyclist
11th May 2008, 09:12
How anyone can leap to the conclusion that Henderson Motorcycles are at any fault from the information provided is beyond me. .

agree 100%

there was infact a carby problem if i remember correctly, but if asked "what's wrong with the bike" a proper compression test would've indicated other things were amiss (rather than ixion's thumb test)

lol i suppose you work at/own the place? (and what was your old sig? what's the joke?)

note i am pretty anti-mechanics and bike shops unless i know the mechanic and/or he actually owns the same bike, but even then stuff goes wrong... i find it easier to do it myself and then there's only one person to blame and that's me.

deanohit
11th May 2008, 09:29
C'mon man, perfect excuse for a big bore!

The Stranger
11th May 2008, 09:45
agree 100%

there was infact a carby problem if i remember correctly, but if asked "what's wrong with the bike" a proper compression test would've indicated other things were amiss (rather than ixion's thumb test)

lol i suppose you work at/own the place? (and what was your old sig? what's the joke?)

Well yes, but "IF" is the operative word here and there are many ifs about the whole scenario. I guess the difference between you and I is that I am not inclined to speculate on a maybe, I tend to rely on fact.

My sig was saying that Henderson Motorcycles are good bastards.
They have always looked after me very well when purchasing bikes, parts, accessories and for service.
It's no accident that a small shop at the back of Henderson on a minor road can survive and sell more Yamahas than many of the larger shops with main road exposure. They do have a high repeat customer rate, and for good reason.

I am sure that they have made errors, doesn't everyone?, I know I do.
It's not that you make an error so much as what you do about it, I actually find it an excellent opertunity.
Knowing what I do know of Adam, I would be very surprised if you were to raise an issue with him in an appropriate manner and he didn't seek to remedy it. He is a motorcyclist and has been for many many years and loves and respects bikes like the rest of us.

Swoop
11th May 2008, 15:38
None at all.

That and I haven't seen anything here to suggest there is a problem with their service.
Quite so.
I have used Henderson Motorcycles in the past. They performed a small miracle sorting out several problems on my old VFR. Good quality workmanship but slightly lacking in the communication department, just like most bike shops. A phone call to update the customer that there will be a delay in the bike being ready, is better than the customer being perturbed when it isn't ready at the agreed time.
As said before though, good quality workmanship!

Metalor
12th May 2008, 21:42
Bugger. That sucks mate!! Was just wondering about the death metal comments someone made... do you listen to metal? Was wondering cos I seem to be about the only person who listens to metal that goes to Auckland uni and rides a bike as far as I can tell. Keen to meet other metalhead bikers!

Oh, any other metal heads feel free to give me a PM.... especially if they enjoy beer!

motorbyclist
12th May 2008, 23:04
dude!

you should've come on saturday night!

ital916
13th May 2008, 07:11
Bugger. That sucks mate!! Was just wondering about the death metal comments someone made... do you listen to metal? Was wondering cos I seem to be about the only person who listens to metal that goes to Auckland uni and rides a bike as far as I can tell. Keen to meet other metalhead bikers!

Oh, any other metal heads feel free to give me a PM.... especially if they enjoy beer!

Haha yeah mate, I love a dose of the old metal and rock...and by dose I mean overdose. It has become a hated thing in the smc I think now. Whenver there is a catch up I pop the old metal/hard rock on and people give me angry looks! Well except andrew who is a westie he just carries on as usual. Come to the friday night chiller, there won't be any metal as we hang out in strata then which is a pretty "ponsy" place but it'll be a cool to to meet and talk bikes. Oh where do you park your volty, I've never seen one at uni.

BANZAI
13th May 2008, 08:29

You ride Volty? Do you usually park at Symonds St? I saw one silver-ish colour parked there couple weeks ago.

Volty's handlebar and tank should fit my GN250 without problem :drool:

Ixion
13th May 2008, 09:57
agree 100%

note i am pretty anti-mechanics and bike shops unless i know the mechanic and/or he actually owns the same bike, but even then stuff goes wrong... i find it easier to do it myself and then there's only one person to blame and that's me.

Just so.

There were in fact two distinct and different issues

The first, that the front cylinder was not running at all. That was quite probably a carb problem, and a mechanic presented with "bike not running on one cylinder" would usually put carb near the top of the list. That issue is now fixed. We know the front cylinder is running because Mr D reports that it is smoking.

The second, unrelated issue, which could not be addressed, or even identified, until the first was fixed, is that the engine is worn. Cylinders show 70 to 90 psi on a gauge. But there may have been some leakage around the gauge adaptor, and my thumb, more accurate and finely calibrated than any gauge, says 80 front 100 rear. Those are low figures, below the "something needs to be done" mark. But not so low that the machine will not be usable.

The worn cylinders will cause high oil consumption (and smoke), and suboptimal performance (so much more professional a phrase than 'gutless as a finnan haddie')

However, performance is a relative thing. And any old bike will likely be down on performance over new. It is a risk that must be accepted when buying an old machine .

It is hardly fair to slate Henderson Motorcycles for failing to diagnose engine wear when presented with 'front cylinder not running'

If the problem presented to them had been 'low comprerssion and low power' I am sure their diagnosis would have been different. But, that problem could not be identified until both cylinders were running.

motorbyclist
13th May 2008, 11:44
well it's a good thing for all of us i don't get mechanics to look at my bikes isn't then;)

last time i sent one in was to a mechanic who owned/raced the same model bike, with the instructions "find what's wrong with the no. 3 carby, balance the carbies, and a new air filter please".
he did the first two fine, but upon looking at the new foam filter some weeks later, he had just cut out the paper and replaced with foam. that was ok he asked me first, saying it was common practice on that bike (google showed the same and new filter was in japan 2 weeks pay away). what he didn't do was actually use some grease or glue or anything to seal the edges of the foam, particulary in the corners, and left the foam dry. sure enough when i next had a look there was all sorts of grit and crap that had gotten around the filter and dust that had worked through sitting around the velocity stacks(? is that what they're called? those rubber cone things on the carbies). i'm not a fan of grit and crap going into my engine, not at all.

safe to say next time i need carby work (which until then balancing was the only work i left to the pros), it's google and a "wtf won't my bike run" thread here on KB to guide me through the process. that way i don't get pissed off at mechanics and they don't get harrassed by a fussy customer

Metalor
13th May 2008, 14:56
Kool, might come along if I find the time. I park my bike on Symonds st, either outside the IC building or the gym. It's burgundy (redish) with a dent from a knee in the tank and munched up front guard...

ital916
13th May 2008, 15:00
I died today...I found out how much it would cost to fix engine and then I died. Labour costs stuff all it's the bloody parts that cost a fortune but they are the only ones which fit.......:weep::weep::weep::weep::weep::weep:

MGST
13th May 2008, 15:27
Can't you get a whole second-hand engine and throw it in there? But then again maybe that might not be a good idea cos the one yo bought in the bike was second hand too. Or put in some Wynns for oil? or Motorup shit? so it does smoke so much?

Basically, it sounds like YOUR SCREWED! looks like plenty of overtime at where ever you work and no beer for months! Look at it this way, while a full engine rebuild will cost you big pin ( relatively, cos your a poor student, so it's big pin to you ), when it is all said and done, you know then you have got a new motor and it will last for a very long time if you maintain it. I hate to sound mean, but with your crash history, a new engine will outlast the rest of the bike.

Serious now. Now, some hard questions you need to sit down and think about seriously in the cold light of a fresh winter's morning, from someone whose been there, done that. Is it worth spending big pin on a new motor when, based on previous indescretions, the bike will be heavily damaged in the not to distant future? We all know you are itching to get back on the road again, so in the cold light of day is it not quicker / cheaper / easier to go and buy a cheap GN250 or similar, which will get you on the road again, not cost you a fortune in maintenace ( saving $$ ), and if you do crash it it's not the end of the world? Also, doing that will allow you to still be a biker with the gang, but also buy you some time to save money and fix you project bike properly, rather than doing a half-arsed patch-up job just to get you on the road, which will end up costing you more in the long run cos it won't be done properly the first time.

Failing all that, you may have to cut you loses and sell the bike with a fucked engine, recover as much money as you can from it, write the rest off to experience, and get something in good mechanical order.

But the last piece of advice here for now is - DON"T RUSH!!! What ever you end up doing, think about it for more than 5 minutes over a beer with the boys. Weigh up all your options and think about the pros and cons of each one, and hopefully one option will come out ahead.

Squiggles
13th May 2008, 16:57
I cant find shit all on SRV pistons. Do we know if they are the same as XV250 ones? Any dimensions given in the manual you have?

ital916
13th May 2008, 17:02
Thanks for the advice MGST, I do appreciate it. First, even with the engine rebuild, the bike will be coming in under 3k which for a 250 is an alright price compared to some of the ridiculous prices you see on trademe. Also once the engine is done she is pretty much complete, only a can to be put on and a bit of leather patching on the seat so 3k gets me a bike that not only runs sweet due to the fact it has a newly rebuilt engine but also one that is personalised to what I like and I can have pride in owning it. Spending 1000 on a budget gn just to get back on the road is in my eyes the rush thing to do, I'd rather wait two more weeks and get the engine rebuilt and the bike done up good and proper, she is a gorgeous bike and I won't be selling her ever, as it will get passed on to my mum when I get my full.

Second, don't bring crashing into this, it has no relevance to doing the bike up, so I had a bit of misfortune with my previous bike. But it is difficult to comment on those incidents if you were not there or didn't know the full stories. Now that isn't saying it wasn't my fault, as a new rider I made mistakes and learnt the hard way, but you should know mate, I am one of the most careful riders out there. Always wearing my gear and probably the only one who sits at 100 on the open road! So no talking shit about crashing as I don't plan to ever again. I look after my bikes, my previous rg150 got royal treatment for a two stroke, she got banged up but was always looked after! I do remember that you rode for a whiole year wiothout checking you tyre pressures? Also if were talking about crashing, that rule should probably put ehab into the get a budget bike cos you will probably crash/drop it soon category and hanne too *for stationary drops not moving one, though they still count as bins*.

I do appreciate your advice though. Oh and I will be putting crash knobs on her when funds arrive.

Squiggles
13th May 2008, 17:16
only a grand for a rebuild? whats the problem?

ital916
13th May 2008, 17:20

Just under actually bud, why is that the normal costs?

Squiggles
13th May 2008, 17:22
Just under actually bud, why is that the normal costs?

If i read your pm right and it includes rods....

Ixion
13th May 2008, 17:36
I cant find shit all on SRV pistons. Do we know if they are the same as XV250 ones? Any dimensions given in the manual you have?

SRV and xv are basically the same motor. But the SRV has different heads. Bigger valves. So the pistons maybe have bigger cutouts in them. I imagine an inventive chappy with a Dremel could make things match, but they are probably different enough to not fit straight in

$1k is pretty fair for a complete rebuild. if that includes a new crank assembly (assembly is cheaper tahn two rods and bearings - go fgiure), then it's a real bargain.

ital916
13th May 2008, 17:46
Na the crank isn't getting anything done to it.

Squiggles
13th May 2008, 18:17
Na the crank isn't getting anything done to it.

rods though?

ital916
13th May 2008, 18:36
thats what i thought, hmmmm, maybe not rods maybe just ridiculously expensive to get the top end done.

Squiggles
13th May 2008, 19:40
thats what i thought, hmmmm, maybe not rods maybe just ridiculously expensive to get the top end done.

Genuine pistons arent cheap, they tend to be more than aftermarket, and for example, the cheapest i can get tl1000 ones for is about $450NZ (from wiseco) for a kit, that'll include rings, pins etc. Genuine you usually have to buy the extra bits ontop of the pistons.

My search of alternatives to genuine yamaha ones yielded nothing, although i found a catalogue that listed aftermarket clutch springs :blink:

Macstar
13th May 2008, 20:25
Violins mate violins... KTM cost $1600-3000 per rebuild every 10,000kms.

motorbyclist
14th May 2008, 01:37
consider seriously that you are likely to crash or have a car write it off before you get your full

bling awarded for some very sound advice

yeah wtf dushi? two pistons, two re-bores and four munched valves for under a grand is a farking bargain! and then you've got the usual labour $70 charges for a mechanic that somehow took longer than it would take me to do it on top of that!

if a rebuild for my common as mud single cylinder dirtbike with all 5 valves still within tolerances was that cheap i'd have done it years ago!

motorbyclist
14th May 2008, 01:39
Violins mate violins... KTM cost $1600-3000 per rebuild every 10,000kms.

or every time you fell off and sent a loose ball bearing on a magical journey through the crank/gearbox

Grub
14th May 2008, 06:42
this bike would be the second wind, I love her to bits but did not factor in that I would have to recondition the engine.

Soo.... what is the f**kn bike we're talking about? As someone else said, what's the point in this thread if the field that tells us your bike has annihalator or some similar stupid shit.

You're wasting space mate

MGST
14th May 2008, 08:48
Yo D I wasn't trying to have a go at you, especially about the crashing thing, but sometimes those a bit removed from the situation can see more options and think about more possible outcomes. Like you said I wasn't there for any of you indescretions, so I don't know the circumstances, but there is always the possibility that you can get taken out by a cage or whatever, and the result still ends up the same ( smashed bike ). Anyway, it sounds like you didn't over spend on the initial purchase of the bike, so figuring a full engine rebuild will still not mean you have not over invested in the bike, so it sounds like the way to go.

What does the 1K get you? Is that machining and assembly of the engine so you can just throw it straight in, or machining and parts only, or what? With all the guys and experience here, you should be able to buy the parts, get the barrel machined and head cleaned up / valves and seats recut etc and someone can help you assemble it all. If your not pulling the crank or splitting the crankcase, from the barrel up is easy stuff to do. At 70 notes an hour for a shop to assemble it, thats a lot of beer for some poor student!!

Do you need new pistons? I got my head cleaned up ( bead blasted ), valves and seats recut, the barrel honed, got the piston skirt teflon coated, new rings and she is as good as new. If you can get away with a hone new rings should do it. But if the bore is scored you will most likely have to spring for new pistons.

ital916
14th May 2008, 10:24
Soo.... what is the f**kn bike we're talking about? As someone else said, what's the point in this thread if the field that tells us your bike has annihalator or some similar stupid shit.

You're wasting space mate

So were not allowed to have interesting names for our bikes, have a look at some of the profiles around here mate like ixions, and you would also know if you read some posts you would know it is an srv250, but to stop inbreds like you from complaining i've changed it.

Peace

ital916
14th May 2008, 10:27
Yo D I wasn't trying to have a go at you, especially about the crashing thing, but sometimes those a bit removed from the situation can see more options and think about more possible outcomes. Like you said I wasn't there for any of you indescretions, so I don't know the circumstances, but there is always the possibility that you can get taken out by a cage or whatever, and the result still ends up the same ( smashed bike ). Anyway, it sounds like you didn't over spend on the initial purchase of the bike, so figuring a full engine rebuild will still not mean you have not over invested in the bike, so it sounds like the way to go.

What does the 1K get you? Is that machining and assembly of the engine so you can just throw it straight in, or machining and parts only, or what? With all the guys and experience here, you should be able to buy the parts, get the barrel machined and head cleaned up / valves and seats recut etc and someone can help you assemble it all. If your not pulling the crank or splitting the crankcase, from the barrel up is easy stuff to do. At 70 notes an hour for a shop to assemble it, thats a lot of beer for some poor student!!

Do you need new pistons? I got my head cleaned up ( bead blasted ), valves and seats recut, the barrel honed, got the piston skirt teflon coated, new rings and she is as good as new. If you can get away with a hone new rings should do it. But if the bore is scored you will most likely have to spring for new pistons.

The cylinders are getting a rebore and both top ends are getting completely rebuilt and then getting reassembled and put together. All up just under a grand including labour.

motorbyclist
14th May 2008, 23:47
bargain!!

all up that's a rare 250 v twin with style and alot of room to customize it for less than 4 grand

not a bad buy, plus you get experience

2wheeljunkie
15th May 2008, 00:01
The cylinders are getting a rebore and both top ends are getting completely rebuilt and then getting reassembled and put together. All up just under a grand including labour.

that is farrrkin cheap dush..shud be happy buddy..!:niceone:

ital916
15th May 2008, 07:38
that is farrrkin cheap dush..shud be happy buddy..!:niceone:

I am happy, i'm a very happy chappy, and in two weeks I ride again! Hahahahahhahahaamuahahahwaha *maniacal laugh*

MGST
15th May 2008, 08:11
Yeah that sounds like a pretty good price. Then you will be able to ride with much confidence in the mechanical soundness of your machine. Good luck.

EJK
15th May 2008, 11:34
It will last long :niceone: Like a new one! :sunny:

Nagash
15th May 2008, 23:26
And then I see this bike jump up on TradeMe..

With a bit of work this thing could be more beautiful then it is now!

Or is that just me..

Linky (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-155378276.htm)

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:29
:sick:

well for 2 grand, you could probably make a bit of money with a quick tidy up (polish and paint)

Squiggles
16th May 2008, 08:33
this thread has more mood swings than...... god knows what

Ragingrob
16th May 2008, 09:25
this thread has more mood swings than...... god knows what

That time of month :shutup:

bomma
16th May 2008, 12:28
^ you're blingin rob!!! GOLD MATE GOLD!!!!