PDA

View Full Version : Storing The Sportster

HornetBoy
10th May 2008, 17:09
So i will be going away for 6 months and the Sporty ,sadly, will have to be left un-ridden for the majority of this time ,so what id like to know is:

What tips and tricks to minimize the damage done from storing the bike ?
What to put in fuel tank ?, as i will have fuel still in their
What to do oil wise eg replace ,empty etc
Ways to sit the bike eg what to put under wheels etc
What Chemicals,sprays and the like do i need to put on/inside the engine,frame,and the bike itself if any?

And just general things i should do so that i can be assured that leaving it unridden for this amount of time will not cause the bike any harm.

JimO
10th May 2008, 17:34
lots of bikes sit for more than 6 months in bike showrooms

jonbuoy
10th May 2008, 18:25
If your storing it somewhere dry you probably don't need to worry too much, if its damp might be worth a drop of oil through the plug holes and a few spins. I'm shipping my bike this week and won't see it for a few months - giving very inch (except tyres) a coating of CRC before I lock it away.

Motu
10th May 2008, 18:32
These bikes need to be redlined every day - I can do this for you for a small fee.

nallac
10th May 2008, 19:26
mate, i'll come down and pick up and look after it for ya,:whistle:
promise i'll take good care of it.:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

you only just got it and leavin her so soon:weep:

isn't ya old man going to ride her?.

selectedgrub
10th May 2008, 19:53
Drain and change the oils.

FILL the gas tank and put some fuel stabilizer in it, then run the bike a little to ensure it's in the carb too.

Wash and wax EVERYTHING....then spray a liberal coating of CRC on the engine and other aluminum parts...don't wipe off, let it dry on it's own.

Lube all the important stuff...chain, linkages, cables, etc.

Stuff some tin foil up the ends of the pipes to keep critters out.

Pump up the tires to MAX pressure

REMOVE the battery and keep it fully charged

If you want to cover it, put something that BREATHES over it. Like a plain sheet. NO PLASTIC OR VINYL.

Lock it

rat biker 08
10th May 2008, 20:13
Will ride your bike for you lol. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/scooter.gif

HornetBoy
10th May 2008, 20:16

FILL the gas tank and put some fuel stabilizer in it, then run the bike a little to ensure it's in the carb too.

Wash and wax EVERYTHING....then spray a liberal coating of CRC on the engine and other aluminum parts...don't wipe off, let it dry on it's own.

If you want to cover it, put something that BREATHES over it. Like a plain sheet. NO PLASTIC OR VINYL.

Lock it

Thanks Grub ,Just what i was looking for,alot of useful tips i will be doing .Cheers :2thumbsup

mate, i'll come down and pick up and look after it for ya,:whistle:
promise i'll take good care of it.:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

you only just got it and leavin her so soon:weep:

isn't ya old man going to ride her?.

Yea,I told him id do the chore;) of riding it but he declined that offer :lol: doing a trip down south so sadly will be leaving the sporty sitting for all that time. :crybaby: (But what he doesn't know cant hurt him eh! :devil2:)

If your storing it somewhere dry you probably don't need to worry too much, if its damp might be worth a drop of oil through the plug holes and a few spins. I'm shipping my bike this week and won't see it for a few months - giving very inch (except tyres) a coating of CRC before I lock it away.

Yea CRC thanks for that ,was worried about things getting critters and rusting etc. is being stored inside double garage.

JimO
10th May 2008, 20:32

Lock it

overkill for 6 months

Headbanger
11th May 2008, 14:07
Overkill?

It would only take half an hour to do.

scumdog
11th May 2008, 14:29
Grubs sort of got it - but a bit of overkill.

Fill the gas-tank up

Take the battery out and leave it with somebody that can give it a charge-up now and then.

Pump the tyres up properly.

Change the oil/filter when you get back home if you feel like it.

The second suggestion above is the only one to make sure of - and even then if you just park-up the bike it most likely will be ok.