PDA

View Full Version : The Catlins, Southland. Woah!

munterk6
10th May 2008, 22:04
Whose been lucky enuff to ride the Catlins on a sunny windfree summers day?
It is F@#KING AWESUM!!!!!
I was down there late Feb. with a mate and we had a heavenly ride, picture this.....
Weather to die for, sunny, no wind hardly...
No traffic, well hardly any, just the odd tourist.
A brand new road surface.
A never ending series of perfectly laid out corners with spot-on cambers.
The seemless power of a GSX-R1000 and the handling and brakes of a superbike.

Woah!

JimO
10th May 2008, 22:08
the whole south island is like that mate

munterk6
10th May 2008, 22:10
the whole south island is like that mate

No, I actually noticed how quiet Southland is for traffic.
Im no stranger to the S.I. and have ridden evey path many times. The Deep South is Sooooooooo cool. :clap:

Swampdonkey
10th May 2008, 22:53
I know what your saying, down the Catlins in march in those condtions....words cant explain how good it was. And no cops, Im doing it again this march .... The Milford road,Lindess shit yeah the whole bloody south island rocks

Chanak
11th May 2008, 04:03
Considering the scenic route thingy that goes through there starts (or ends, up to you) pretty much *points out window* not far over there...

I've done it once or twice ;)

Biggles2000
11th May 2008, 13:58
Did the catlands in a gale last March, wasnt much fun, and my bike is ususlly fine in side winds. I would say do it if the weather is fine. it is a neat ride. Visit the petrified forest.

mbazza
17th May 2008, 21:51
This area is in our back yard. Sunny day like today there were a few bikes about in the thinning warmth of approaching winter. Fewer campers than about a month ago. Great place the Catlins. See you all down there. Cheers.

Special
17th May 2008, 22:32
There have been a few mishaps on that road with livestock, metal chips, camper vans etc and cambers are sometimes negative but as far as I am concerned it is as you say an awesome ride.

Daffyd
17th May 2008, 22:37
Yup, only thing wrong with it is all these damned bikes going past my gate in the beautiful weather when I have chores to do!
Dammit, I'm def going for a ride tomorrow!

F**k the chores!

Daffyd
17th May 2008, 22:39
There have been a few mishaps on that road with livestock, metal chips, camper vans etc and cambers are sometimes negative but as far as I am concerned it is as you say an awesome ride.

And the odd campervan or motorcyclist cutting blind corners.

And I've hit two deer in one week within 20km of home.

scumdog
17th May 2008, 22:42
down the Catlins in march in those condtions....words cant explain how good it was. And no cops,

Hey!
I resent that - I was probably the guy on the Harley that was heading the other way!:bleh:

FJRider
17th May 2008, 23:00
No, I actually noticed how quiet Southland is for traffic.
Im no stranger to the S.I. and have ridden evey path many times. The Deep South is Sooooooooo cool. :clap:

It is a "rat race" down here... but the rats run a lot slower.

FJRider
17th May 2008, 23:01
Hey!
I resent that - I was probably the guy on the Harley that was heading the other way!:bleh:

DID YA WAVE ???????

McJim
18th May 2008, 10:32
I think I might head out that way today....I wonder how much time the missus will let me have?

McJim
18th May 2008, 17:05
That was great. Had one of those rides where you just make it up as you go. went to Mataura through the back roads. Made good time so went on to Clinton - still looking good on time so on to Balclutha. Turned the bike around and headed for the Southern Scenic route. Gorgeous weather throughout the Catlins. Luverly.

Scorpygirl
18th May 2008, 17:17
Rhino and I did the Catlins on the Gold Wing in March. The weather was awesome and the scenery through there is amazing!!! We went to see three waterfalls along the way. I couldn't believe the sound of the bellbirds when we took our helmets off. Truly awe inspiring!!! Unfortunately the tides were against us so we didn't get to see the petrified forest. It's on the plan for next time though!!

oldrider
18th May 2008, 17:36
Rhino and I did the Catlins on the Gold Wing in March. The weather was awesome and the scenery through there is amazing!!! We went to see three waterfalls along the way. I couldn't believe the sound of the bellbirds when we took our helmets off. Truly awe inspiring!!! Unfortunately the tides were against us so we didn't get to see the petrified forest. It's on the plan for next time though!!

The petrified forest is very hard to see because it is always hiding, it's bloody petrified FFS!!! :confused: John.

FJRider
18th May 2008, 18:51

Only THREE waterfalls ??? The cathedral caves are worth a look if the tides are right. There is no shortage of places/things to go and see down there.

McJim
19th May 2008, 22:38
Only THREE waterfalls ??? The cathedral caves are worth a look if the tides are right. There is no shortage of places/things to go and see down there.

I've never been able to bring myself to stop at the Cathedral Caves as it would spoil a truly fantastic stretch of twisties. It was better than ever the other day coz the caves have ben shut for a while so there was no gravel on that corner....was able to take it at a fair rate of knots for a change.:yes:

mbazza
25th May 2008, 21:11
I've never been able to bring myself to stop at the Cathedral Caves as it would spoil a truly fantastic stretch of twisties. It was better than ever the other day coz the caves have ben shut for a while so there was no gravel on that corner....was able to take it at a fair rate of knots for a change.:yes:

Years ago we used to slide into the car park on the CB 350 and wander down to the caves with biscuits and Thermos in an army sachel, right romantic. :hug:
Now I just power on past enjoying the twisties as someone charges an entry fee.! Cheers.

Swoop
26th May 2008, 12:02
And I've hit two deer in one week within 20km of home.
So, cheap meat for the freezer?

buellbabe
26th May 2008, 12:10
Yep! Did it with Rashika and a couple of others last March... great ride plus we stopped along the way and did the tourist thing, only went to one waterfall tho, it was a little off the beaten track on some horrible gravel roads but totally worth the stress of getting to it.

We got a bit of wind late in the day...but it didn't spoil what was otherwise a primo day (my birthday in fact!)

Daffyd
26th May 2008, 12:55
So, cheap meat for the freezer?

Nah, the first one was too mashed up and the second ran off into the bush.
Local cockie cut no1 up for dog meat.

oldrider
26th May 2008, 13:48
Nah, the first one was too mashed up and the second ran off into the bush.
Local cockie cut no1 up for dog meat.

Venison is not suitable for dog tucker, it gives them the shits and goes straight through them. :oi-grr: John.

PS: How do I know? Been there tried that, pig hunter from way, way, way back!

banditrider
26th May 2008, 18:00

Awesome ride allright. Been around there a few times now - good weather & bad. Got to see the forest last time - tide was right.

Scorpygirl
26th May 2008, 18:41

We didn't have that much time I'm afraid and Rhino wasn't feeling very well! But after seeing what little we did, we are going back for more!!! :drool:

gunrunner
6th July 2008, 18:21
Awesome ride allright. Been around there a few times now - good weather & bad. Got to see the forest last time - tide was right.

Nice pic of Tautuku . Heading there from the Wairarapa week before labour weekend , would love to take the Vmax there but to much baggage , betterer roads down there now shitload of campervans tho plus will be wrong time of year weatherwise as when it rains down there it poars .