PDA

View Full Version : Who's brought a bike in from the UK?

colsan1
11th May 2008, 07:46
need a little help.
I'm planning to bring my bike over in june (trx850)
we've had quotes for shipping all our stuff from 3 companies.
the last one however said i have to go online before they take the bike
and apply to have it imported to nz.
Neither of the other companies mentioned this and i cant see anything
on the govt or customs websites.
I wont be able to ride for a while when it arrives as i had a little incident on it
and i will need to finish repairing it when it gets there.
I thought i would get it shipped, collect it (not ride it) when it gets there
then arrange for reg and wof once i got it home.
can anyone shed any light on this for me
cheers
col

scracha
11th May 2008, 08:59
need a little help.

If you're already bringing over a container then I was quoted a mere additional 300 UKP to bung it in.

YellowDog
11th May 2008, 09:15
Hi Colsan1. I brought my bike over from the UK and put it on the container with our other stuff. Used bikes are comparatively expensive in NZ, so it is a wise move.

In fact, if you get another container and fill it with 10 bikes, you will do very well selling them out here.

If you are here on a PR basis, then you can bring the bike in without paying any GST. However you will have to complete a DOU Document of Undertaking saying that you will not sell it for 2 years (or pay the GST).

I rode my bike for 2 months on a UK plate before getting it commissioned for NZ usage. The Police don't seem to have a problem with people who appear to be tourists.

Commissioning the bike for NZ usage is quite a straightforward process (if you have no Mods). The manufacturers spec is followed to the letter on the inspection. It costs a couple of hundred dollars and then you will need to pay for Registration and a WOF. You may need to check on whether the damage will be an issue (I suspect it will) however you can always repair it before submitting the bike for Commissioning/Registration.

The good news is that you are not obliged to get it done straight away. You can keep the bike in your garage until it is fully roadworthy to get it fully sorted before riding up to the AA inspection centre.

Importing is pretty easy and there is no Duty to pay (just GST). I have just imported a new bike from the USA. Nothing to it.

Good luck.

fazer
13th May 2008, 10:13
As already been said, bike was put into container with rest of stuff, (no extra charge) although they, (PSS), crated it. Just make sure a) that it is thoroughly clean (for MAF), also gave it a good film of spray scottoiler. b) that you have got all paperwork to show when getting it on the road ie. Reg docs, proof of purchase. In my opinion, for what it's worth, generally, dealers and therefore spare parts are not so widespread and accessible as the UK, depending of course where you are moving to. Check that spares and back up is available in your area.

Nick from the nick
13th May 2008, 17:28
Hey
Good to here your still coming, if you in the Cambridge area there are a couple of dealers in Hamilton for spares and same again in Tauranga also breakers on the web so spare should be ok to get, I still use a guy in Norfolk for my spares for the cbr even with delivery from the uk it's cheaper than here so try and get your parts before you ship your bike

rok-the-boat
13th May 2008, 20:11
A friend of mine moved here this year and got hit for GST on his two cars and furniture - I think it is a new rule to get more cash out of us UK expats. Might pay to check.

colsan1
14th May 2008, 04:31
thanks guys but i need to know,
do i have to apply to bring it over while i'm still here in the uk?
One of the shippers who gave us a quote said i have to apply to nz customs
to make sure it meets nz standards (emissions tests and that sort of thing.
so do i have to contact any nz authority to let them know it coming before i get it crated and shipped.
none of the others have mentioned this and i'm a bit confused.

betti
14th May 2008, 09:22
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/

that's all there is on the ltsa website, reckon you should be all good.

betti
14th May 2008, 09:25
depends how old the bike is

go here

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-13-europe.html#lc

Mort
14th May 2008, 10:44
Check the LTNZ site to see if its Ok to bring it - I tried to bring a car and I wasn't allowed...

If you've owned the bike for more than 2 years you wont have to pay GST.... is you've owned it less than 2 years you pay a proportion of GST (according to how long you've owned it). If you are bringing in using a container with all you other stuff you may need to pay the GST pending proof of length of ownership. DO NOT PACK YOU DOCUMENTS WITH THE BIKE - BRING THEM WITH YOU PERSONALLY.

You can save money on crating by getting a metal bike crate from a dealer in the UK - (I got mine from DK motorcycles) - purpose built for the job.

Make sure its clean but no need to go mad - MAF look for mud, grass, seeds that sort of thing.

Once the bike is fixed and roadworthy its pretty simple to bring down to VTNZ or somewhere and get it checked and registered etc.

Draig
14th May 2008, 19:44
Don't know if they have changed the rules recently but when I brought mine over 2 years ago you only had to have owned the bike for 1 year back in the UK as I had owned mine for 13 months.
Then if you qualify for permanent residency you are exempt paying the GST if you keep it for at least 2 years.
I certainly didn't have to apply to bring it.

Good luck - hope all goes well

colsan1
14th May 2008, 22:42
cheers guys,
i recon i'll have to pay gst as i've only had this one for around 4 months.

ceebie13
15th May 2008, 19:41
Colin...

I pray to him upstairs that you don't use Frontier Forwarding to ship your bike.
I did - but I was lucky cos the bike (ZX9R) survived unscathed which is a miracle because the crate...and I use the term loosely...that they made had fallen to bits by the time the bike reached Wellington.

See a fuller story here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8968&highlight=Frontier+Forwarding

written in 2005 when I was known as Ninja51 rather than ceebie13.

Be sure your bike is squeaky clean before you ship it or you'll pay for the pleasure of having it steam cleaned once it gets here.

I didn't have to apply for anything before hand either. Just needed the Certificate of Export from the UK Licensing Agency and the usual documents to prove I actually owned my bike rather than any finance company.

Good luck.

Rob Taylor
22nd May 2008, 19:13
Hi,You do not need to apply for any special permission to bring your bike in.There are rules for cars .ie frontal impact and emision rules but they dont apply to bikes,,soooooo pack it in the container and bring proof of owner ship and value ok.....If you need any more help email me cherryrob@xtra.co.nz.... .Make sure the bike is spot less clean . Cheers Rob