PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an sv650?

erik
11th May 2008, 21:29
I've realised that learning to fly (a cessna 152) hasn't reduced my savings as much as I thought it would and that a cheap sv650 is within reach.

My first bike was a yamaha fzx250 (Zeal), my current bike is a bandit 400 - both naked, inline 4's.

I've taken an ER6F for a test ride. It was interesting. More upright than the bandit, the bars were closer and higher. The engine... well since I'm used to inline 4's, I think it would take a while to learn to appreciate a twin. I can understand why some people describe them as "tractors". I haven't ridden an sv650 yet, but I'm guessing the engine response will be similar.

I like the idea of only having two cylinders - fewer valves to adjust etc. Plus it'd be something different (for me). It'd also be different having a sports style bike, I don't know how my back and wrists will cope, only one way to find out though.

I'm looking at the 1999-2002 sv650's, the new angular ones don't do it for me.

There's three on trademe at the moment:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=154037759
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=154587683
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=154911511

High k's on two of them. The one in wellington seems like the best deal to me...

Maybe I should stop looking at trademe and just go ride my bandit. It's done about 87,000km now and been over a few times so I ain't going to get much for it if I sell it. But I might be able to squeeze another bike in the garage between the bandit and my brother's zzr250.

McJim
11th May 2008, 21:36
If you're gonna come and join us twin riders on the dark side howabout one of these instead. Gallons more street cred than a Suzuki :Pokey:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-154000428.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-154480881.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-154434693.htm

erik
11th May 2008, 22:22
They're a bit out of my price range, plus I think I'd feel too guilty if I crashed one. ;)

(and I think the old sv looks better.)

Pwalo
12th May 2008, 07:32
Go and take one for a ride. I had a parallel twin before the SV. The V twins are surprpisingly smooth (well the Hondas and Suzukis, can't vouch for the Italian brands), and deceptively quick.

FROSTY
12th May 2008, 08:14
Why not the nekkid SV? cheaper and a more upright riding position

imdying
12th May 2008, 08:40
They're a bit out of my price range, plus I think I'd feel too guilty if I crashed one. ;)Don't be... it's a bottom of the range bike, it's not like you're breaking a mint first edition 916 or anything.

R6_kid
12th May 2008, 10:16
Do it erik!

erik
12th May 2008, 12:23
Why not the nekkid SV? cheaper and a more upright riding position

Because I can't find any old style naked SV's for sale (the only one I've seen was a few weeks ago on trademe and I think was over priced), it seems we mostly got sv650s' here for the early models. Plus I haven't ridden a bike with sports style position, so might as well give it a go.

I've been pm'd with a 1999 sv650s to go check out. The colour - bright yellow - isn't one I'd pick if I had a choice, but other than that it looks good. Watch this space...

erik
17th May 2008, 15:57
Gone and done it, I'm now the proud owner of a yellow 1999 SV650S!

Thanks breakaway, I hope you don't miss her too much.

It must've been dropped at standstill on both sides because both front indicators have been pushed through the fairings. I'll probably try fixing that with some fibreglass. I'll also check the valve clearances soonish because I don't know when it was last done. Plus check and set the laden sag on the forks and rear. I only went for a short ride, but the suspension didn't feel too bad to me.

I've changed my mind about the yellow, I think it looks quite good now. I guess it grew on me. Given the perfect weather outside right now and the new bike sitting in the garage, I should be out riding. But after riding to and from Taupo yesterday for the trackday on the Bandit (and then not sleeping well last night) I'm a bit knackered, so I think I'll leave the riding and tinkering till tomorrow.

From my short ride on it today, I gotta say my god the exhaust is loud! (it's got a Two Brother's exhaust). And also it seems to pull a lot stronger than the old bandit (and have more engine braking). It's going to be fun getting to know it. :D :devil2:

Burger
17th May 2008, 16:00
The ER6 is hardly a tractor at 7 thousand revs.

kiwifruit
17th May 2008, 16:01
congratulations, you'll enjoy it on the track too

James Deuce
17th May 2008, 16:03
Noice! I feel sorry for those 1000cc riders you used to terrorise at track days on the 400. You'll be lapping them now.

That exhaust system looks lovely.

The indicators have probably been dealt to by other ignorant "bikers" when its been parked.

Have fun, and no making people cry!

AllanB
17th May 2008, 16:08
Good for you - those earlier ones look better than the later style - more organic. Plus they look like a TL ;)

If the Two Brothers is too loud any decent muffler shop will be able to make a cheap insert that will shut it up a bit without any noticeable power loss - just a smaller diameter perforated insert that disturbs the flow a bit to shut it up.

Let the mods Begin - get onto e-bay there is lots of goodies for the SV

svr
17th May 2008, 17:14
It must've been dropped at standstill on both sides because both front indicators have been pushed through the fairings. I'll probably try fixing that with some fibreglass. I'll also check the valve clearances soonish because I don't know when it was last done.

If you're pulling the cams to change the shims you might as well change the intake cams for 2nd generation sv's - cheap as chips on ebay for about a 5hp gain. Use the std intake cam as exhaust cams.
If you need some std front indicators pm me as you can have mine.

erik
17th May 2008, 18:05
The ER6 is hardly a tractor at 7 thousand revs.
I didn't mean to say it was, just they're very different to inline 4's.

Thanks for the comments and tips. :)

svr: the indicators themselves are ok, (one might be a bit scratched). Just the fairings need fixing, but thanks for the offer.

idleidolidyll
17th May 2008, 18:10
Be smarter, go buy a Cagiva 650 Raptor.

Same motor with better fuel injection, better suspension and a better frame with room for better exhaust system.

The Cagiva can be found new for about $12500 and is way better bang for your dollar

Magua
17th May 2008, 18:12
What is to happen with the Bandit?:wavey:

Ivan
17th May 2008, 18:14
Do it the SV is a great bike I dotn have any regrets getting one

erik
17th May 2008, 18:40
What is to happen with the Bandit?:wavey:

At the moment I'm planning to keep it, there's just enough room in the garage. I'm thinking I might use the bandit for commuting and save the sv for weekend rides and track days. But I think I'd like to do at least one more trackday on the bandit when I've changed the tyres to sport demons to see if I can scrape the pegs. ;)

El Dopa
17th May 2008, 19:38
Nice purchase, Erik.

If suzuki had made the EFI model curvy, I would probably have bought one of these a year or two ago.

Let the mods begin! I reckon you can start with USD forks and a race tail, and take it from there.

breakaway
18th May 2008, 21:22

Didn't think I would, but I miss that V-Twin sound :love:

I've changed my mind about the yellow

I was the same also :p

nallac
18th May 2008, 21:31
shit the sv650 go and handle well. i tried chasing one today thru a ultra twisty bit of road about 30 oddk's long.
gave up in the end as i didn't know the road, the guys i was riding with
also commented on it.

MidnightMike
23rd May 2008, 22:56
(and I think the old sv looks better.)

YER DAMN RIGHT IT DOES!!!!

Gone and done it, I'm now the proud owner of a yellow 1999 SV650S!

It must've been dropped at standstill on both sides because both front indicators have been pushed through the fairings. I'll probably try fixing that with some fibreglass. I'll also check the valve clearances soonish because I don't know when it was last done. Plus check and set the laden sag on the forks and rear. I only went for a short ride, but the suspension didn't feel too bad to me.

I've changed my mind about the yellow, I think it looks quite good now.

Yellow is the best colour for these beasties!!!

I guess it grew on me. Given the perfect weather outside right now and the new bike sitting in the garage, I should be out riding. But after riding to and from Taupo yesterday for the trackday on the Bandit (and then not sleeping well last night) I'm a bit knackered, so I think I'll leave the riding and tinkering till tomorrow.

From my short ride on it today, I gotta say my god the exhaust is loud! (it's got a Two Brother's exhaust). And also it seems to pull a lot stronger than the old bandit (and have more engine braking). It's going to be fun getting to know it. :D :devil2:

Good for you - those earlier ones look better than the later style - more organic. Plus they look like a TL ;) FAP FAP FAP!

If the Two Brothers is too loud

Too loud? Nevarr.. supposedly, erik, if you open up the airbox a bit (something along those lines) it can be even louder and barkier!! :devil2:

any decent muffler shop will be able to make a cheap insert that will shut it up a bit without any noticeable power loss - just a smaller diameter perforated insert that disturbs the flow a bit to shut it up.

Pffft

Will be good too see you at the Suzuki trackday in December Erik, I was at the April one too(saw you bin lol)

I'll be on the other yella SV with the scorpion pipe. Roaring round.

Just as Alan says let the mods begin!!!

Number One
24th May 2008, 04:08
Good for you - those earlier ones look better than the later style - more organic. Plus they look like a TL ;)

OH I hears ya!!!! They have character and look less robotic to me.

If the Two Brothers is too loud any decent muffler shop will be able to make a cheap insert that will shut it up a bit without any noticeable power loss - just a smaller diameter perforated insert that disturbs the flow a bit to shut it up.

NOOOOoooo! Don't take away it's growil! You'll regret it I assure you, without its two bros snarl life just seems empty:buggerd: Hubby put his Yoshi pipe on mine for a while and I hated it...felt like I was back riding a little bike again...I could hear myself think..didn't need the earplugs and car drivers stopped moving over for me well in advance...they just couldn't hear me coming anymore.

I have a 1999 Silver SV. These bikes have to be one of the most underrated machines around I think - I farken love it!

Funny you mention about the indicators pushed through the fairing..mine the same and I've seen heaps in the same state.

As for Mods - kewl fun! If there is one mod that will make your bike FANTASTIC and handle heaps and heaps and heaps betterer do something about the forks and rear suspension. I did an the bike is so much quicker steering and better handling.

Here's what was done to it:

The stock SV front forks have heavier springs, Traxxion Dynamics damper roads and Racetech cartridge emulators.
We run the forks with 15mm of protusion through the top triple clamp, combined with the rear shock being set on it’s longest setting this gives us the geometry that makes the bike turn much quicker and hold tighter lines than the stock set up.
The rear shock is the basic remote resevoir Ohlins unit for the SV.

HungusMaximist
24th May 2008, 08:12
Good job on the SV, they make a pretty sweet tourer and commuter.

Nearly ended up getting one... haha...