PDA

View Full Version : I need help valuing a post-classic Suzuki TR250

forkoil
11th May 2008, 21:34
I have a Suzuki TR250. Originally built in Wanganui in early 70's from a T20, it has fibreglass tank, seat (oil tank in rear nacelle), and fairing. Magneto ignition, big mother barrels and expansion chambers and twin leading shoe front brake (T500?), It hasnt been touched in 25 yrs and have spare crankcases, crank and sundry bits and pieces. I need to get an approx value of all this. Has anyone got any ideas
At this stage I have no plans to sell in its current form.

PeteJ
21st May 2008, 17:49
Without its full history and provenance, it's very hard to value.

If it has proper TR250 bits, then would be worth a lot more than just a backyard T20.

If it is a Colemans machine, then maybe worth some money, particularly if it had a winning history.

But, basically, a running race modified T20 without history would be worth well <$3K. A competitive one maybe $5K, if cosmetically good as well.

So, from your description and assuming it has no real history, I would guess maybe $1K max. It'd cost $4K to get it running, presentable and competitive.

tr250
28th November 2015, 12:20
I have a Suzuki TR250. Originally built in Wanganui in early 70's from a T20, it has fibreglass tank, seat (oil tank in rear nacelle), and fairing. Magneto ignition, big mother barrels and expansion chambers and twin leading shoe front brake (T500?), It hasnt been touched in 25 yrs and have spare crankcases, crank and sundry bits and pieces. I need to get an approx value of all this. Has anyone got any ideas
At this stage I have no plans to sell in its current form.

Hi forkoil. I have a tr 250 as well. I have been to wanganui and talked to Joe Lett and Steve Roberts about my bike and found out a bit of history. Joe Lett was modifying t20s by bracing the frames and turning them into road racers. Steve made chambers etc for them. They can't remember how many they made. Mine is not one of these bikes. Has your frame got a tube starting at the swing arm and going up to the head stock if so it might be one of the bikes that Joe Lett made. As far as price, when I brought my tr 250 off John Woodley he looked at it's some of parts, racing magneto $1000,tr heads and barrels try and find originals and if they have been tuned by Dicke Lawton a couple of grand. Can you post some photos

Crasherfromwayback
28th November 2015, 13:14
Dicke Lawton a couple of grand. Can you post some photos

Thread dredge from hell!

Prob all sorts of DL ported cyls hanging round at Boyles to this day.

ellipsis
28th November 2015, 13:30
...I'm wanting T20 crank or complete motor if anyone knows where there may be one...as it's for a racing machine, obviously money becomes irrelevant...

husaberg
28th November 2015, 15:03
...I'm wanting T20 crank or complete motor if anyone knows where there may be one...as it's for a racing machine, obviously money becomes irrelevant...

They use RD250 cranks converted to TZ spec in them much better.
http://www.t20suzuki.com/racing.htm#TZcrank

Grumph
28th November 2015, 15:09

Lachie won't part out the T350? If the wheels are reusable, it's rebuildable.

They use RD250 cranks converted to TZ spec in them much better.
http://www.t20suzuki.com/racing.htm#TZcrank

Probably as hard now in NZ to find RD250/350 cranks as T20/T250/350 cranks at this point. For his "gentlemanly" usage, a nearly stock crank will suffice.

husaberg
28th November 2015, 15:14
Lachie won't part out the T350? If the wheels are reusable, it's rebuildable.

Probably as hard now in NZ to find RD250/350 cranks as T20/T250/350 cranks at this point. For his "gentlemanly" usage, a nearly stock crank will suffice.

You were probably there Greg, but I blew up the big ends in my T350 at the Last Cust GP, I borrowed a Cb350 (Bruce Wearing)which I later brought.
The T350 was parked up and later resurrected by my cousin not sure what it cost him to fix,I never got paid for the bike or know what has happened to it now.
Is likely still in a shed somewhere.
Incidentally there is the UK making pretty good Hockle replica tz cranks,as I am not paying.
http://www.titancranks.com/

Shaun Harris
28th November 2015, 21:51
Thread dredge from hell!

Prob all sorts of DL ported cyls hanging round at Boyles to this day.

Come up with some thing interesting your self then, instead of being like a piss weak politician and slagging every ones else's efforts without a positive to add to it ya key board hero old Harley piece of shit racer

Crasherfromwayback
28th November 2015, 22:15
Come up with some thing interesting your self then, instead of being like a piss weak politician and slagging every ones else's efforts without a positive to add to it ya key board hero old Harley piece of shit racer

Lol. Take ya meds you docile cunt. I was taking the piss re thread dredge. And DL stands for Dickie Lawton. As in, we prob have heaps of Dickie Lawton cyl etc if anyone wants some.

And as for racing Harleys? As I've said Shaun...I managed to beat some very good racers you've never managed to beat whilst racing the pieces of shit.

And again...keyboard hero? Nah mate, I'm still racing bikes. You're the one wanking yourself about doing so. JUst when you think you're coming right...nearly *normal*...you loose your rag over some post you don't even understand.

Cock muncher.

jasonu
29th November 2015, 06:01

Yeah ya big wank :msn-wink:

Shaun Harris
29th November 2015, 06:41
Lol. Take ya meds you docile cunt. I was taking the piss re thread dredge. And DL stands for Dickie Lawton. As in, we prob have heaps of Dickie Lawton cyl etc if anyone wants some.

And as for racing Harleys? As I've said Shaun...I managed to beat some very good racers you've never managed to beat whilst racing the pieces of shit.

And again...keyboard hero? Nah mate, I'm still racing bikes. You're the one wanking yourself about doing so. JUst when you think you're coming right...nearly *normal*...you loose your rag over some post you don't even understand.

Cock muncher.

LOL. I love it when you bite Pete haha thanks for the laugh dude

budda
4th December 2015, 21:26

Might have a couple in the back of the container - will have a look and PM you if I find something - cant remember if they're T20 or T2/350 ( or some of each ! ) whats the difference s ?????

Buddha

ellipsis
6th December 2015, 18:22
Might have a couple in the back of the container - will have a look and PM you if I find something - cant remember if they're T20 or T2/350 ( or some of each ! ) whats the difference s ?????

Buddha

...I'll have to check that one out, maybe they are similar...sounds good though...

Grumph
6th December 2015, 20:05

Buddha

Don't hold me to it, Peter, but i think it's the ends that differ. T250/350 might have bigger tapers for the alternator/generator end. I think the ignition ends are all same till the X7 which has electronic ignition which uses a different setup. I know you can put the earlier ignition end piece into an X7 crank so I'd guess the rest is the same dimensions.
Got any MOV Velo pistons in the container? He needs one now which hasn't got a hole in it.......

ellipsis
6th December 2015, 20:26
Don't hold me to it, Peter, but i think it's the ends that differ. T250/350 might have bigger tapers for the alternator/generator end. I think the ignition ends are all same till the X7 which has electronic ignition which uses a different setup. I know you can put the earlier ignition end piece into an X7 crank so I'd guess the rest is the same dimensions.
Got any MOV Velo pistons in the container? He needs one now which hasn't got a hole in it.......

...my list of bits needed has just grown a little, hasn't it...

dangermouse37
23rd February 2016, 15:40
Hi forkoil. I have a tr 250 as well. I have been to wanganui and talked to Joe Lett and Steve Roberts about my bike and found out a bit of history. Joe Lett was modifying t20s by bracing the frames and turning them into road racers. Steve made chambers etc for them. They can't remember how many they made. Mine is not one of these bikes. Has your frame got a tube starting at the swing arm and going up to the head stock if so it might be one of the bikes that Joe Lett made. As far as price, when I brought my tr 250 off John Woodley he looked at it's some of parts, racing magneto $1000,tr heads and barrels try and find originals and if they have been tuned by Dicke Lawton a couple of grand. Can you post some photos

Gudday. Dunno if you can help but I am trying to get dimensions for the tr250 barrels and heads. I would like to find out how much bigger they were than the t20. I am just after the outside dimensions front to back and width of barrels and heads and height of the head fins. Also did the heads have an offset plug or a central plug? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

husaberg
23rd February 2016, 17:22
Gudday. Dunno if you can help but I am trying to get dimensions for the tr250 barrels and heads. I would like to find out how much bigger they were than the t20. I am just after the outside dimensions front to back and width of barrels and heads and height of the head fins. Also did the heads have an offset plug or a central plug? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There was a crowd in the UK making replica ones I think they were available from Eddie Crooks (this was about 15 years ago)

Grumph
23rd February 2016, 18:50

Classic Racer did a track test on one being raced successfully in the UK some years back. They may supply a copy of the article if you ask nicely.
It should be possible to scale fin sizes from the pics. Central plugs from memory.

husaberg
23rd February 2016, 18:56
Classic Racer did a track test on one being raced successfully in the UK some years back. They may supply a copy of the article if you ask nicely.
It should be possible to scale fin sizes from the pics. Central plugs from memory.

I have it here, plus a few others. When I trip over it, I will scan it.

husaberg
23rd February 2016, 20:34
I found the other two but not the race test on Crooks Suzuki
it seems that Jack Daw Racing has the TR250 cylinder and head patterns that Eddie Crooks made up.
I will see if I can find them on the net. (I can't)

later okay this is the Mag I am looking for I seen it the other day (Somewhere)

dangermouse37
24th February 2016, 12:32
I found the other two but not the race test on Crooks Suzuki
it seems that Jack Daw Racing has the TR250 cylinder and head patterns that Eddie Crooks made up.
I will see if I can find them on the net. (I can't)

later okay this is the Mag I am looking for I seen it the other day (Somewhere)

Wow, thanks guys. I found that issue on flebay. I have some other pics so hopefully can work out the sizes. Might have a go at making some when the T20 project gets to the front of the queue!

husaberg
24th February 2016, 17:24
Wow, thanks guys. I found that issue on flebay. I have some other pics so hopefully can work out the sizes. Might have a go at making some when the T20 project gets to the front of the queue!

Here it is for people that didn't buy it on Ebay
Oh it was trotters not Eddie Crooks Suzuki (Whoops)

husaberg
24th February 2016, 17:27
A T20 racer with a few other bits like A GT250 frame.
It won the IOM

husaberg
24th February 2016, 17:34
Plus something a little closer to home

Grumph
24th February 2016, 18:55
I'd point out that Mike Sinclair won his NZ 250 title on a modified T20 - with TD3 barrels grafted on.
Possibly easier than sourcing or making TR250 barrels.

husaberg
26th February 2016, 17:42
I'd point out that Mike Sinclair won his NZ 250 title on a modified T20 - with TD3 barrels grafted on.
Possibly easier than sourcing or making TR250 barrels.

Personally I think it would be pretty easy to mod later model T250 Gt250 or similar they looked like bigger finned.
I tracked down these it seems like a good place to park them.

husaberg
26th February 2016, 17:43
The rest.

where I got them from is a great source of 70's Suzuki stuff inc TR500 and TR750.
Plus the road bike specs including cranks
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techbuls/
plus further stuff here

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/manuals/specs/index.php
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/manuals/service_bulletins/page-2
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/manuals/service_bulletins/page-2
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/manuals/service_bulletins/page-3

husaberg
8th March 2016, 19:30
Oh darn.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/manuals-magazines/auction-1043923753.htm

dangermouse37
10th March 2016, 11:29
Hi husaberg et al..... Thanks so much for all the effort. It's in the early stages so a long way to go. I have a t20 frame and engine cases. Got to do the gt750 first though! Cheers all.