PDA

View Full Version : Tyre warmers on buckets?

Buddha#81
12th May 2008, 17:12
It seems that Bucket racing in the past couple of years has moved along (in my eyes) for the better. The gear is faster and more reliable FXR's, CBR's. The bikes are more presentable. New members are starting racing nearly every meeting.

My question is as a club do we cap some of the tecnology avaliable to keep it competitive for the average joe? I for one have a Mortgage and a Family to feed.

A couple of the buckets had tyre warmers on yesterday and they would have had a huge advantage over those of us that went out on cold tyres on a cold track. Do we all spend $500 on warmer to keep up?

You guys are the club members and fellow racers......tell the Commitee what you would like to see included/excluded to make the racing more competitive and affordable for us all. We can ammend the "inhouse" rules to suit, tell us what you want.

Cheers Brent.

Sketchy_Racer
12th May 2008, 17:55
I think tyre warmers is a bit sad to be honest.

The guys using them on buckets should grow a pair of nuts and harden up. Keep it level(ish)

Sully60
12th May 2008, 17:57

The guys using them on buckets should grow a pair of nuts and harden up. Keep it level(ish)

I'm just glad I was using them at the Upper Hutt GP before that warm up lap eh Sketchy!

Sketchy_Racer
12th May 2008, 18:01
hahaha yeah see. you cheated. If you didn't have them on that warm up lap, you could have joined me too! Just imagine the pile up if the led sled fell over in that corner!

Trudes
12th May 2008, 18:53
What!!!! God help anyone who turns up at the slipway with their tyres getting warmed in any other way than the traditional ones!!!:girlfight: Actually, it would be worth someone do it to see the amount of shit they'd be given!!:2guns:

MIXONE
12th May 2008, 19:12
The original idea of bucket racing was to get an old shitter,strip off everything not needed and away you go.I would love to get back into it but it appears to be going the way of all other motorsports.ie The more money you've got the better.It puts me off for one.

Buddha#81
12th May 2008, 19:17

Nah not sad, these guy have got the kit so they're using it........you should see what they're putting them on.......Aussie speced CBR150's, $9k NZD.

The guys weigh 45-50kg have 17.5hp weapons and use tyre warmers. I'm just getting the feeling toward where we are heading down here. Bucket racing is at a new level in the Mainland.

Buddha#81
12th May 2008, 19:19
What!!!! God help anyone who turns up at the slipway with their tyres getting warmed in any other way than the traditional ones!!!:girlfight: Actually, it would be worth someone do it to see the amount of shit they'd be given!!:2guns:

A few years ago we said the same thing down here..........the world has moved on, how far do we let it go? should we stifle progress?

Skunk
12th May 2008, 19:30
I'd like to keep it as 'Buckets of Shit'. Using newer bikes is one thing - programmable electronic ignition, fuel injection, type warmers... where is the line today? Where will it be tomorrow?

Soon it will be cheaper to get a CBR125/150 than an old MB100 (and easier). Do we have a list of 'homologated' bikes?

Already the way classes are divided differs in various parts of the country to suit local tracks. Is this good?

What about those that have a backbone bike? Can they compete or do they just make up the numbers?

I'm only asking to see peoples views. These are questions I ask myself and have no answers to.

Kendog
12th May 2008, 19:39
Having only just started in Buckets, I can see how easy it is to get caught up in the 'spend more money, go faster' line of thinking.

But if buckets are meant to be the cheap intro into bike racing, perhaps there is a need to look at the regulations again.

For comparison at the same kind of cost as buckets, when I raced RC cars years ago things got a little out of hand with a few people spending up large. Those that could not afford to keep up slowly left as they had no chance at competing. At the time the only thing that saved the sport was the introduction of a strict no-moding class. With everyone on a fairly level playing field (different car types were still allowed) it came down to the drivers ability.

Trudes
12th May 2008, 19:44
A few years ago we said the same thing down here..........the world has moved on, how far do we let it go? should we stifle progress?

That's a hard one.
To me spending a crap load of money on a bucket and things for the bucket racing to enhance performance kind of defeats the whole point of bucket racing... a cheap way to get into racing and the fun of riding around on something that not so long ago would have been on the scrapheap with other like minded people riding on their version of a heap of shit. So IMO, if you've got shit loads of money, why not get into the more serious classes of racing on something a bit flasher and let the broke buggers like me stick to our cheap dungers.
However, who am I to begrudge someone of their fun? If someone wants to rock up with the latest modcoms for their flash as fast piece of cool bucket... good on them, and if they whip everyone on their $300 bucket's arse on their 9K bucket, well, I hope they feel some massive satisfaction from it.
In saying that, I have only seen the buckets at the Slipway here in Welly, and they're all true buckets, but to their builders/owners they are their pride and joy (well, I know Pamela is definitely to me) and it sounds like bucket racing elsewhere in the country is very competitive and with the longer tracks more speed is needed, so I can see why some people may end up bettering their buckets and heading into the thousands that they spend on their buckets to be competitive.
Each to their own I guess. Personally, if someone has something that cost a crap load, I would be even more determined to try and beat them!!:innocent:

Grub
12th May 2008, 19:44
God help anyone who turns up at the slipway with their tyres getting warmed in any other way than the traditional ones!!!

I'm with you babe! {The Grub loads a pair of large electrical-cable cutters into his toolbox}

Sully60
12th May 2008, 20:19
There are always going to be the haves and the have nots in racing no matter what the class.

There's nothing in the rules about tyre warmers so too bad.

As I racer, and I've said this before, I will use all the resources available I have to win. (Like the rest human race I must have depleted most of my resources cos I ain't won in a while!)

I don't begrudge anyone who has better equipment, spent more time or money on their bike to get it the way they want it even if they're kicking my arse.I just get angry and ride harder and if they still beat me then that's my lot.
I'm getting kicked all over the place by a fucken scooter with 40cc more than me for Christ sake, but that's my issue to overcome.:2guns:
In the end everyone spends the amount of money they believe to justifiable for their level of involvement.
So don't be a knocker about it, don't be negative, find away to turn it around to your advantage.

And if you can't do that, just knock them off!:devil2:

Skunk
12th May 2008, 20:28
I don't get upset by it but I wonder if the class could end up with semi-talented riders with deep pockets winning everything and putting off those with no money but more talent.

I'm thinking of the future of the class rather than here and now. Where is it going? Where should it go? Should it be chequebook racing or stick to it's origins? (High-tech by way of who-you-know and clever-bastard-itis)

nudemetalz
12th May 2008, 20:33
Well, Team Nugsty's Lady P has cost us to build a lot more than what it would have been to buy a rough but going FXR150 (which would have been more sensible), but building your own bike from various parts that were procured from other bucketeers etc keeps it in the true spirit.
I know the Loncin will get hosed on the long straights so I gotta learn to ride it harder !!

(Anyone got some cheap tyre-warmers for sale? :girlfight: )

Slingshot
12th May 2008, 20:37
I'd like to keep it as 'Buckets of Shit'. Using newer bikes is one thing - programmable electronic ignition, fuel injection, type warmers... where is the line today? Where will it be tomorrow?
Check this site out: http://www.megasquirt.info (http://www.megasquirt.info/) I had a master plan of getting a CB125t and fuel injecting the fucker. Imagine pulling into the pits at the slipway, plugging the laptop into the bucket and altering the fuel mapping...just because you can.

Soon it will be cheaper to get a CBR125/150 than an old MB100 (and easier). Do we have a list of 'homologated' bikes?No and who are you calling a homo

Already the way classes are divided differs in various parts of the country to suit local tracks. Is this good? Yes & no...good for local competiton bad for national competiton. Problem (or maybe the good thing) is that there's no national governing body for bucketing.

What about those that have a backbone bike? Can they compete or do they just make up the numbers?Just making up the numbers...but my goal when racing at the moment is to be at the front of the bikes that I consider to be of similar performance. So in my mind, I'm a winner :niceone:

There are always going to be the haves and the have nots in racing no matter what the class.

There's nothing in the rules about tyre warmers so too bad.

As I racer, and I've said this before, I will use all the resources available I have to win. (Like the rest human race I must have depleted most of my resources cos I ain't won in a while!)

I don't begrudge anyone who has better equipment, spent more time or money on their bike to get it the way they want it even if they're kicking my arse.I just get angry and ride harder and if they still beat me then that's my lot.
I'm getting kicked all over the place by a fucken scooter with 40cc more than me for Christ sake, but that's my issue to overcome.:2guns:
In the end everyone spends the amount of money they believe to justifiable for their level of involvement.
So don't be a knocker about it, don't be negative, find away to turn it around to your advantage.

And if you can't do that, just knock them off!:devil2:
Well said.

Some of the dollars invested in R&D in some of the local Welly bikes would be getting well up there.
Should we outlaw these bikes too? (rhetorical question)

McJim
12th May 2008, 20:57
I reckon it's not in the spirit of bucket racing. If you must spend $$$ on tyre warmers then spend the $$$ upgrading to another class.

But then I don't even have a bucket to race......yet :devil2:

kiwicam
12th May 2008, 21:12
A few years ago when the 150,s became available the limit was raised to accommodate them,mainly because of the rising prices of parts for the older bikes like Xl125 etc. As you guys have mentioned you now have more people joining up every weekend (isnt this the whole point?).

Who wins Who cares !

The next step up the ladder is usually streetstock, a controlled class where the advantage of faster/newer machines will no longer be available.

Look at where the current class champions are coming from guys.Most of them cut their teeth on buckets.

If you feel the need to even things up make the tracks slower not the bikes.

Enjoy yourselves and pitch it in....

Tyre warmers are a bit OTT but

Sully60
12th May 2008, 21:33
I reckon it's not in the spirit of bucket racing. If you must spend $$$ on tyre warmers then spend the $$$ upgrading to another class.

What is this spirit of bucket racing you refer to?

Let's not forget that F4 and F5 are two of the three remaining formula classes left in NZ. Tyre warmers are just a conspicuous way of gaining an advantage wether real or percieved. Some of the less conspicuous things are the very essence of what a formula class is about. The difference with buckets is that most people are more than happy to share what some in the "big boy" classes would keep secret.

Don't be put off by what others might have McJim. At round two of our series last year someone brought their spine framed, cantilevered shock machines with skinny 18" wheels down and swept all before them (except F5Dave).
So a bit of canny riding and reasonable machine can still achieve a good result.

I don't get upset by it but I wonder if the class could end up with semi-talented riders with deep pockets winning everything and putting off those with no money but more talent.

The cream will always rise to the top.

If you can, cast your mind back to 2005, Jay Lawrence was riding an identical bike to F5Daves with just over half the power and a poofteenth of the development of Daves bike (sorry Dave but this is a good example) but Jay was not at all phased and neither were rest of the field.

(High-tech by way of who-you-know and clever-bastard-itis)

So you're telling me that the stuff that comes out of the Factory has not been blessed with a good dose of "clever-bastard-itis"?

Kendog
12th May 2008, 21:39
So you're telling me that the stuff that comes out of the Factory has not been blessed with a good dose of "clever-bastard-itis"?

The stuff I have seen from there sure has.

Sully60
12th May 2008, 21:41
The stuff I have seen from there sure has.

Exactley!

It's all a matter of perspective.

Thanks for having my back Kendog, I'm going to help you build a real fast bucket and you can use my tyre warmers;)

Skunk
12th May 2008, 21:47
Yes & no...good for local competiton bad for national competiton. Problem (or maybe the good thing) is that there's no national governing body for bucketing. Yes there is. It's called Motorcycling NZ.

Just making up the numbers...but my goal when racing at the moment is to be at the front of the bikes that I consider to be of similar performance. So in my mind, I'm a winnerIf I could beat you I'd consider myself a winner.

A few years ago when the 150,s became available the limit was raised to accommodate them,mainly because of the rising prices of parts for the older bikes like Xl125 etc. As you guys have mentioned you now have more people joining up every weekend (isnt this the whole point?).This is exactly what I have in mind. A path for advancing the class without making it too expensive (by either too-hard-to-get-parts nor too-expensive-to-race standards).

So you're telling me that the stuff that comes out of the Factory has not been blessed with a good dose of "clever-bastard-itis"?No, I don't think so. I'm thinking of the supercharged XL100 and the like. The Steadman boys type stuff. Real clever thoughts and engineering even if it didn't always work. :whistle:

I have no complaints about how things are. I just wonder if they could be better. Just thoughts and nothing more.

But where do you draw the line? Tyre warmers are an expensive advantage for the first few laps. If someone who finishes behind you gets them and beats you what do you do?

Give up or cough up?

What next?

Trudes
12th May 2008, 21:50
pfft, tyre warmers.... all you need is to get someone to ride your bucket in the class before the one you're riding in... eh honey ;)

Slingshot
12th May 2008, 21:59
Yes there is. It's called Motorcycling NZ.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :)

Skunk
12th May 2008, 22:03
Yeah, yeah. I know. Somehow they left it in the rule book when they revised it. I don't think they meant too...

gav
12th May 2008, 22:23
Someone is going always going to have an advantage though arent they? Some might have tyre warmers, some might work in a bike shop with access to cheap parts, others might have access and skills to build and tune their bikes, some might only weigh 45kg! And where did the cheap bit come into it? Don't forget bucket racing started on the airforce bases, only because the guys were restricted to staying on base. The level of bikes at the early Woodbourne days were eyeopening, handbuilt, alloy framed, monoshocked, water cooled, running on slicks, anything went.
And when did it become a cheap sport? I raced on Sunday, and after paying for race fuel, hiring a trailer, paying for a day licence and entry fees, i got two 6 lap races which worked out at $10 per lap on the Ruapuna A track (tri oval) !
Anyone got a cheap Pre 82 bike? :innocent:

Skunk
12th May 2008, 22:25
A couple of the buckets had tyre warmers on yesterday and they would have had a huge advantage over those of us that went out on cold tyres on a cold track. Do we all spend $500 on warmer to keep up?

You guys are the club members and fellow racers......tell the Commitee what you would like to see included/excluded to make the racing more competitive and affordable for us all. We can ammend the "inhouse" rules to suit, tell us what you want.OK, enough of my ramblings.

My vote:
Ban tyre warmers for the time being. They cost too much and they don't teach you anything. Learn about grip and tyre temperature.

Skunk
12th May 2008, 22:27
I raced on Sunday, and after paying for race fuel, hiring a trailer, paying for a day licence and entry fees, i got two 6 lap races which worked out at $10 per lap on the Ruapuna A track (tri oval) !
Anyone got a cheap Pre 82 bike? :innocent:
Sucker! A meet here costs $35 and we put in way more laps than you... :bleh:

gav
12th May 2008, 22:31
Don't worry BOB will more than make up for it! :2thumbsup
I guess I could have ridden around the car park like you lot though for 20 minutes? :whistle:

Skunk
12th May 2008, 22:36
We've had a one hour race at our airstrip (yes, it's airstrip - we're really into the grass roots of buckets here) before. I wonder if you could cope with that?

Come up and prove it if you think you can. :lol:

dangerous
13th May 2008, 07:04
The original idea of bucket racing was to get an old shitter,strip off everything not needed and away you go.I would love to get back into it but it appears to be going the way of all other motorsports.ie The more money you've got the better.It puts me off for one.

and that as we know it as bucket racing down here is long gone RIP

SWEET... I cant post my thoughts on the clubs forum http://visordown.co.nz/go/index.php cos as the BMRC pressie I shouldnt post my view... but her Im going to.

Warmers suck
FXR's suck
$9k CBRs suck
factory GP frames suck
Bucket racing is fast becoming a big suck, the reason I started in bucket racing is disapearing, sad but I will not race with warmers I will not race on a $9k bike.. ill move on to pro twins of F3 etc.
The fun is being removed, cant be helped, cant be stoped and in some ways evalution is nessary.. but above all the social aspects of bucket racing is fuked, its no longer about helping ya mate out its about $ and winning.

No sir... I dont like it

Buddha#81
13th May 2008, 07:24
The next step up the ladder is usually streetstock, a controlled class where the advantage of faster/newer machines will no longer be available.

Look at where the current class champions are coming from guys.Most of them cut their teeth on buckets.

yeah this is kinda the point.......alot of the fast guys have brought their CBR's and gear back from the Aussie CBR series, f3, pro twins or from their 125 GP bikes, alot of guys are comming back to bucket for the practice, fun, track time.

Buddha#81
13th May 2008, 07:27
Warmers suck
FRX's suck
$9k CBRs suck
factory GP frames suck
Bucket racing is fast becoming a big suck, the reason I started in bucket racing is disapearing, sad but I will not race with warmers I will not race on a $9k bike.. ill move on to pro twins of F3 etc.
The fun is being removed, cant be helped, cant be stoped and in some ways evalution is nessary.. but above all the social aspects of bucket racing is fuked, its no longer about helping ya mate out its about $ and winning.

No sir... I dont like it

Your the pressident of the club, we elected you to do the job..........you are the one guy who could fix it...............leave the fxr thing though.

CookMySock
13th May 2008, 07:55
http://www.megasquirt.info (http://www.megasquirt.info/) I had a master plan of getting a CB125t and fuel injecting the fucker. Imagine pulling into the pits at the slipway, plugging the laptop into the bucket and altering the fuel mapping...just because you can.Yeah this is classic kiwi backyard hacker stuff. If it is starting to outgrow the oldskool buckets, then maybe a new class needs to be added ?

If I entered bucketing, I would dearly love to build my own frame and suspension. Double wishbone front and rear with gas over hydraulic plus adjustable shim-stack compression and rebound. Drool. But I would be shocked if I was made to feel unwelcome.

So why not just add anything-goes class ? (Still with the cc limits)

DB

Skunk
13th May 2008, 10:14
Yeah this is classic kiwi backyard hacker stuff. If it is starting to outgrow the oldskool buckets, then maybe a new class needs to be added ?

If I entered bucketing, I would dearly love to build my own frame and suspension. Double wishbone front and rear with gas over hydraulic plus adjustable shim-stack compression and rebound. Drool.

DB
And that my friend is where my thoughts are going. I like the Superbucket and Production sub classes they have in Christchurch. Maybe a Superlite class too?

Is it time to forget F5?

F4 rules only? Forget the 24mm carb rule for 125 two strokes?

F5 Dave
13th May 2008, 16:03
Is it time to forget F5? No soddin way!

We just need some more people to ride 50s. A little over a year ago we had about 6 50s, ok maybe 2 years, in Auckland there are more. At Kiatoki the top 3 bikes when raced all in were 50s. Anyone who complains about getting a kicking from a bike ½ or 1/3 the capacity should take a reality check.

So why do I ride a 50? Its fun, you are the underdog against bigger bikes & have to ride them to extract every last bit of power. On small tracks this is great fun. On longer tracks it is less difficult. I can see why Chch doesn’t have that many F5s.

- - - -

OK my take on GP frames as I have one (actually I built the first MB100 in RS I know of, just never got it going until a decade later as a 125.
Some have ribbed me about my million dollar bike (F5 50cc), I have kept fairly quiet about it as I don’t want everyone doing it.

My RG50 has been raced for 15 years, before that I had an MB50 for ~ 5 yrs. I’ve learnt a lot over that time. A few (3?) years ago I had a very fast but compromised handling RG50 (I screwed up the suspension/linkage). Jay got fast on the RG and with the tight tracks I just couldn’t follow him on some corners. I had to do something & that ended up being an RS frame. I’d ridden his bike & it is surprisingly easy to ride & actually grunts along pretty well if shy on top end. Whereas mine has only upper top end (no lower top end & certainly no midrange).

So, existing bike. RS Frame, SW & forks. $300 (had been stripped for people wanting engine, wheels brakes & spare bits). Convert RG wheels to fit, self, brakes, self, body work, self. Engine plates, self. Welding of frame $50 & some beer. Footpegs, self. Etc. It was cheaper to do this then remake the RG frame/suspension as old RS frames are worth squat.

Anyone who complains my bike is a million dollar effort can suck my medium sized fat one. A lot of buckets is & has always been being in the right place at the right time & building it yourself.

So where does this leave me on tyre warmers & programmable ignitions?

Well I guess I’m against tyre warmers because I’m never going to spend that money, but I guess that is really up to the group.
Ignitions, well again mega $ ones seem out of place. But if home built then I say YES. Why not.

Some people will always be prepared to spend more than the most. Some will want to spend virtually nothing. The reasonable ground is somewhere in between.

k14
13th May 2008, 16:30
Maybe just have another cup for pre90 (or something like that) engined buckets?

Hard call as to whether tyre warmers should be banned, i think that may be taking it a bit far. Its hard for me to denounce people that use them cause in the end they are just trying to win. If I had a bucket that was capable of winning and had a set of tyre warmers (like I do for my 125) then I'd probably put them on. It is racing afterall, if you are there to win you are going to do everything within the rules to do so. It isnt primary school with the dolphins and the pengins rugby teams, its real life. There are winners and loosers, sometimes those with a bit more money are able to gain advantages which others percieve as unfair. Best way to fix it is to ride harder, remember 80% rider, 20% bike.

F5 Dave
13th May 2008, 16:32
& 15% bragging rights:done:

Something else to consider. Just yesterday someone was commenting that it can be real expensive to build a bucket. Depends how you do it.

But the reason the rules are to be based on road legal bikes is simple. Competition bikes would make everything else obsolete. One can go & buy off the internerd hop up kits for modern bikes like Aprillias etc, big bores, race kits etc.

This same person suggested we have a class for 80cc mx bike engine. Like the Morawaki bikes in Auss. Well maybe we could but this would rule out most cheapskate kiwis & wouldn’t suit most of our tracks (but would be a hoot at Ruapuna).

So drop an 80cc mx bike engine in some frame & woot! Keeping to 80cc would limit the bikes to pre 85cc as they have been for a while now.

The issue is this. No body wrecks MX80s for parts. Well actually all the owners wreck the bikes but that’s par for the course. The bike gets blown up & it’s hardly worth fixing a 5yr old kids bike. Under shed to rot. You would have to find a going bike, yet a going kids bike is still worth a bit. Then take it home & only the engine/ign/rad/carb would be of any use. Frame too small.

It would be pretty much shot so you’d be in for replate, powervalves (if they have them), piston & total crank rebuild. If you were lucky the little tike’s dad changed the gearbox oil, if not it got ridden through streams & run on water/oil so that will be shagged & the clutch basket will likely be sodded having been a MX bike ridden by a nasty teenager determined to break this old heap so dad will buy a new one.

Hmm that just got expensive. Pity.

If we allowed 85cc then people would just turn up with newer model until some clown buys a new one to strip for parts.

Ok so maybe a claiming rule with budget limit? Well half the people really enjoy the build part so you can’t put a price on the time taken.

The original bucket rules were fairly well drafted I think.

Kickaha
13th May 2008, 17:23
FRX's suck

FRXs? is that new bike thats coming out?

k14
13th May 2008, 17:28

Yeah its a special production model from Ivans factory...

Sully60
13th May 2008, 17:28

No wonder you're getting your arse kicked when you let 1340cc bikes out in buckets, duh!:dodge:

Kickaha
13th May 2008, 17:48

DB

Thas pretty much what buckets is, there are no frame restriction you can build what you want

dangerous
13th May 2008, 18:23
Your the pressident of the club, we elected you to do the job

fuck off honky... you mungrels bullied me into it, i rocked up one day to race and every bastard was calling me Mr Pres :blink:

Skunk
13th May 2008, 18:40
i rocked up one day to race...
I guess that wasn't a wet day then...

Kickaha
13th May 2008, 18:46
and that as we know it as bucket racing down here is long gone RIP

Rubbish all classes evolve and change, 31 bikes on the grid says to me that buckets is very healthy in the South, the majority of the bikes racing are still old shitters and it's up to the guys running them to step up if they want to take it to the FXRs and CBRs

SWEET... I cant post my thoughts on the clubs forum http://visordown.co.nz/go/index.php cos as the BMRC pressie I shouldnt post my view...

Shouldn't post your veiw my arse, just because you are President doesn't mean you aren't allowed an opinion as long as you don't try and pass it off as "the clubs opinion"

Warmers suck But they're legal

FXR's suckBut they're legal to

$9k CBRs suckand so are they

factory GP frames suckyes they are to

Bucket racing is fast becoming a big suck, the reason I started in bucket racing is disapearing

Which was what?

sad but I will not race with warmers
Neither will I, but it won't stop me trying to beat anyone who does

they're not the be all and end all that some people think, Bren gave the CBR crew a fairly good hiding in race one and one of the guys using them ended up on his arse

I will not race on a $9k bike..

The chances of their being more than a few of that value racing are very slim and if DC bought his bucket out he could clean them up anyway

No sir... I dont like it

Rubbish, the racing is what you make it, if you want to get all stressed about the CBRs and tyre warmers then yeah the fun will go out of it, if you just ignore that shit and get on with racing it wont be any different than it ever was

From what I saw on Sunday the social aspect and camaraderie is just as strong as ever and the reality is it's always been about winning and bikes have always been built with that in mind

dangerous
13th May 2008, 18:55
you havent raced for 2 seasons Kick???
why quote all that shit about legality when I never said it wasnt???
Why do you always take the negativity out of my posts???
and the reason I started bucket raceing is? read the positives in my post... I said why!!!
Agree with your last paragraph.

The guys with warmers dont bother me cos they will still be in front of me with out them, but I do believe the help once offered in buckets is disapearing and the drive to win more stronger, ie: all the secrets on peoples bikes, hell I shear any mods with others happily... hell I gave K14 the 28hp twim stats, as we wank on hes rebuilding a bike that will beat me.

FROSTY
13th May 2008, 19:02
Shoulda woulda,coulda, --Tyre warmers are legal for F4 and F5 as long as they are legal why not use em\? On a cold track its only and advantage for a lap or two anyhoo.

Slingshot
13th May 2008, 19:19
Ignitions, well again mega $ ones seem out of place. But if home built then I say YES. Why not. The link I posted for MegaSquirt is cheap and in kit form...I think this type of thing fits the bucket mentality perfectly. It's just backyard electronics instead of backyard mechanics.

but I do believe the help once offered in buckets is disapearing and the drive to win more stronger, ie: all the secrets on peoples bikes, hell I shear any mods with others happily... hell I gave K14 the 28hp twim stats, as we wank on hes rebuilding a bike that will beat me.Sounds like the scene down south is quite different to Welly. It's not unusual for a bunch of us to descend on Skunkworks and half the time either someone will be helping you with something, or you'll helping someone else.

Shoulda woulda,coulda, --Tyre warmers are legal for F4 and F5 as long as they are legal why not use em\? On a cold track its only and advantage for a lap or two anyhoo.Chances are the probably provide no benefit in Wellington, normally we do a handful of laps then line up on the grid and straight into the race. The speed we go at, anyone using tyre warmers will have their tyres cool downby the time the race starts.

TygerTung
13th May 2008, 19:28
What about tire warmers if you build them yourself? How about that?

Kickaha
13th May 2008, 19:36
you havent raced for 2 seasons Kick???

Pretty sure I was at the BOB last year and I've raced continuosly for a lot longer than you have, just not always in Buckets

why quote all that shit about legality when I never said it wasnt???

If they're legal then build a bridge and get over it, if they want to take full advantage of the rules then good on them

Why do you always take the negativity out of my posts???

Because it's not as though there's much thats positive to take out of them

but I do believe the help once offered in buckets is disapearing and the drive to win more stronger, ie: all the secrets on peoples bikes,

I haven't come across anyone yet who wont share what they have done with their bike and I have all the help I ever need to get the things I want done

hell I gave K14 the 28hp twim stats, as we wank on hes rebuilding a bike that will beat me.

He'd have to learn to ride first

Sounds like the scene down south is quite different to Welly. It's not unusual for a bunch of us to descend on Skunkworks and half the time either someone will be helping you with something, or you'll helping someone else.

It's not that different the help is availlable if you ask/want/need it

Slingshot
13th May 2008, 19:39
What about tire warmers if you build them yourself? How about that?

I'm in the market for 12 old toasters, if you can help out...please PM me.

dangerous
13th May 2008, 19:43
If they're legal then build a bridge and get over it, if they want to take full advantage of the rules then good on them

LMFAO, I have nothing to get over... Am I not allowed an opion that differs from you?

ohhhhhhhhhhhh... dont worry :slap:

Skunk
13th May 2008, 19:51
I think they should be banned from Buckets purely on cost grounds.

Isn't buckets all about cheap? There used to be a sale rule in the early days didn't there? Any of you around then (1980-83 I think)?

Sully60
13th May 2008, 19:53
Wow, this thread should now be renamed Dangerous and Kicakaha duel about buckets to the bitter end!
Who has the goods to see it through?

Chances are the probably provide no benefit in Wellington, normally we do a handful of laps then line up on the grid and straight into the race. The speed we go at, anyone using tyre warmers will have their tyres cool downby the time the race starts.

The layout of the Slipway heats up tyres faster than just about any other track I've ridden on. So in a round about way you're right.

I have been running a Pirelli SC1 Superbike (thats whats written on the sidewall) and I checked the temp last time I had a good dry run and it get the same heat as when I run it on the SV (thats probably cos I'm a pussy on the SV)

dangerous
13th May 2008, 20:30
Wow, this thread should now be renamed Dangerous and Kicakaha duel about buckets to the bitter end!

I dont know what his problem is... not a biggie.

gav
13th May 2008, 20:43

Isn't buckets all about cheap? There used to be a sale rule in the early days didn't there? Any of you around then (1980-83 I think)?
I don't think there has ever been a sale or a claiming rule, while it sounds fine in principle, it still turns into cheque book racing, just wait and claim the fastest bike for say $1000?
Its just going to piss off the guys who have built a bike like say F5Dave with more of his own time and effort rather than $$$$$.
Don't forget these young guys have already got the tyre warmers etc, they are not buying the stuff just for buckets.

CookMySock
13th May 2008, 20:54
So where does this leave me on tyre warmers & programmable ignitions?I think tyre-warmers are all part of the atmosphere. Whats a race garage with no tyre warmers ? Sounds like they dont make a toss of difference anyway.

BUT the difference with MegaSquirt is you have to go down to dick smith electronics for parts, and get out your soldering iron !! And you have to think! If do a good job with your fuel ang ignition maps, you will get placings, and you will get respect.

DB

Sully60
13th May 2008, 20:57
I think tyre-warmers are all part of the atmosphere. Whats a race garage with no tyre warmers ? Sounds like they dont make a toss of difference anyway.

Whats a race garage? :confused:

nudemetalz
13th May 2008, 21:04

You got one in Grenada.... ;)

Sully60
13th May 2008, 21:17
You got one in Grenada.... ;)

Yeah, but I could really use one at the Slipway (like the rest of us)

kiwicam
13th May 2008, 21:20
Isn't buckets all about cheap? There used to be a sale rule in the early days didn't there? Any of you around then (1980-83 )

ok i confess to being around then ........ there was never a claiming rule .and actually cheap was never the main objective.

we just raced the buckets of shite we used to commute to work on. of course some bright bastard hade to go and build an expansion chamber , so then sombody else had to as well . then somebody else couldnt be bothered with that so they bought a brand new MB50.

and well here we all are ...a few decades later

btw the only reason we had a 100cc limit was to chill out the airforce bosses cos they didnt like steadman riding his H2 on the tarmac

as for the trye warmers , a resounding chorus of "dork dork dork" is probably a fair response

Skunk
13th May 2008, 21:50
Yeah, but I could really use one at the Slipway (like the rest of us)I'm working on doing something that may, or may not, become one...

as for the trye warmers , a resounding chorus of "dork dork dork" is probably a fair responseLOL. I like...
Anyway, I'm all for keeping it as cheap as possible. A homebuilt or modified from something else chamber isn't expensive. Off the shelf is.
Those that have tyre warmers for another class of racing can just leave them in that other class. I don't like electricity and I'm buggered if I'll play around with 230 volts just to try and keep up. Shit, it's hard enough finding the money for cheap Vee Rubber road tyres. They were $59 each last set I got (3 years ago)! I can't afford that ALL the time you know.

F5 Dave
14th May 2008, 10:02

This is my 20th year in buckets so I'm a new member compared to Kiwicam being late 80s instead of early 80s. However the only other person I know of still consecutively racing all that time & longer is DaveDip in Auckers. Top Bloke.

No claiming rule, there was a rumour that there was a "it has to be 7 yrs or more older rule" (probably urban myth) so there was some grumbling when the RG50s appeared & wiped the floors of the MB50 I & a few others were running. Thanks Kiwicam, funny to hear history repeat itself. So there are new bikes appearing. The 9k CBRs are a different kettle of fish $$ wise. Ahh smeg it, if Steadman was to turn up on his old bucket he'd still wipe them into the floor.

And about cheap. Everyone seems to think that bucket racing should be priced to their level. Well sorry, you can't please everyone. It's going to be expensive for some & cheap for others.

Some are going to lack the skills but could open a chequebook & enlist Pete Sales help (and good on anyone supporting Pete, another Top Bloke). Should they be excluded? No, not really, but the line does 'grey' after a point.

Skunk if you wanted to make an even more competitive bike you'd sell all but one & spend into that. But that isn't what you want to do. You want to tinker. And that too is a big part of buckets.

:rockon:

Skunk
14th May 2008, 12:23
Hmmm, good points Dave.

When I say cheap I'm meaning relative to the other classes of racing at the same level of competitiveness. Some yeah, you could spend a few thousand bucks in buckets and still not win. But you don't have to to be 'having fun fast'. Which I think you do in NZSBK.

I'm trying to think of the simple things to keep the cheques out and the fun in.

Funny you should mention Pete... He built my engine for very little money. Top bloke all right.

F5 Dave
14th May 2008, 12:44
Hey Dang' how did we come up with 9k CBR anyways? Sounded wrong when I thought about it. 5k seems to be ~right or maybe for the 125, or is the number puled out of the sky complete with warmers, on board GPS/sat nav & ignition?

Expect they were ex auss cup brought back. Would have been a bunch cheaper.

As a note, a hot FXR with ignition Cams & pipe puts out ~ very useful 17hp. Note Cams are a performance part & are not legal (though regrinding stock ones is). A CBR may eke out a couple more than that.

A good MB100 should pull 20. An exceptional one more. A John Conner CB125 twin will do that too.

2nd note: None of the Wellington bikes are close to this.

CookMySock
14th May 2008, 15:28

http://www.gsl-enterprises-uk.com/store/images/Resized_Resized_Resized_Resized_dickies%20wet%20we ather.jpg

DB

speedpro
14th May 2008, 19:50
Racers always find something that someone else has, or might have, that might make them faster, or not, that they have a whinge about. Just about every time I hear the whinging and I bother to take any notice it turns out to be a case of envy usually combined with a good dose of "If I can't ride faster then I'll try something to slow those other guys". Banning slicks was one such whinge I recall from a while ago and banning water cooling as well.

"dork, dork, dork" - that brings back a few memories. Not that I was ever the recipient, oh no, not me. Prize giving at the Ohakea GP could be embarrassing when the whole room was doing it - bastards.

Kickaha
14th May 2008, 22:31
Note Cams are a performance part & are not legal (though regrinding stock ones is).

I don't think that is correct

Rule 24-2-4
Engines must be derived from non-competition motorcycles. Motocross, Road Racing,
Enduro and Go Kart motors and transmission parts are not permitted. There shall be no restriction on the make, type or design of carburettor, ignition, exhaust, piston, cam, valve springs or cooling system except for class eligibility. All engines must be normally aspirated except F4 4 stroke engines of less than 100cc capacity, which may be turbo or supercharged.
F4 2 stroke

F5 Dave
15th May 2008, 10:31
I stand corrected, that must have been changed when the piston restriction was lifted (previously the pistons had to be road derived until it came about that it was getting hard to get some pistons so opened the doors for Wiseco etc). Probably as cheap to buy one than get one built up & ground (after someone buying one to copy).

Bah - I never read the bits that don't relate to me, silly things with all manner of poppets, followers, chains & such tomfoolery. No wonder they need a displacement advantage.:zzzz:

k14
15th May 2008, 11:49
Bah - I never read the bits that don't relate to me, silly things with all manner of poppets, followers, chains & such tomfoolery. No wonder they need a displacement advantage.:zzzz:
Yeah tell me about it, after stripping down the CB engine last week I'll take a 2 smoke any day :2thumbsup

Buddha#81
15th May 2008, 12:04
Yeah tell me about it, after stripping down the CB engine last week I'll take a 2 smoke any day :2thumbsup

Perparing for BOB?

k14
15th May 2008, 12:28
Perparing for BOB?
I can neither confirm nor deny that...

I'll kick your arse either way though.

F5 Dave
15th May 2008, 12:49
If his bike turns up with full enclosure fairings & sounding a bit like an RS125 we may have to do a check:lol:

k14
15th May 2008, 12:58
Well the calipers I've got say the carb is 24mm and thats what I'm sticking to...

Buddha#81
15th May 2008, 14:59
you got the same size carbs yet for the twin?

Buddha#81
15th May 2008, 15:01
I'll kick your arse either way though.

It a big enuf target!

k14
15th May 2008, 15:05
Yeah I know, you can even see it on google earth.

Slingshot
18th May 2008, 17:52
Did they help Sully?

dangerous
18th May 2008, 18:01
Did they help Sully?LMFAO @ Sully.... now thats a piss take of all piss takes, and I love the 125T engine, mate you beter be comming down to the BOB on that thing?

Skunk
18th May 2008, 18:52
LMFAO @ Sully.... now thats a piss take of all piss takes, and I love the 125T engine, mate you beter be comming down to the BOB on that thing?
No he's not... And mines not gonna make it either now.

Trudes
18th May 2008, 18:59
Did they help Sully?

:shutup::crazy::hug:

Rashika
18th May 2008, 19:16
No he's not... And mines not gonna make it either now.

......why?????

Skunk
18th May 2008, 19:54
......why?????
To quote my own post from another thread:

ZX1R still has a timing issue and has decided to add a fuel issue as well.

The AX1R has electrical issues. DNF on the first points race and DNS on the second. Need to get that sorted and only have one weekend to do it in. Pamela has agreed to let me try her bits (cheers Mrs Kendog!) to locate the shit part. Plug looks bad so that'll be the first thing.

I don't have the time (or the money) to fix both. AX1R seems to be the easiest because even once I get the ZX1R running it still needs tuning.

Trudes
18th May 2008, 19:57

The AX1R has electrical issues. DNF on the first points race and DNS on the second. Need to get that sorted and only have one weekend to do it in. Pamela has agreed to let me try her bits (cheers Mrs Kendog!) to locate the shit part. Plug looks bad so that'll be the first thing.

I don't have the time (or the money) to fix both. AX1R seems to be the easiest because even once I get the ZX1R running it still needs tuning.

Well, as long as the AX lasts for the Saturday, you can always ride Pamela around on Sunday if it's not and she is.... or take them both apart and between the two make one bike that works!

quallman1234
18th May 2008, 22:00

Ill drop those tie down's off on thursday.

Skunk
18th May 2008, 22:10
Ill drop those tie down's off on thursday.
Cheers. Anytime before the 4th June is fine.

Number One
19th May 2008, 12:30
Did they help Sully?

Oh man...we put them on the bike that didn't go!

Dag nabbit...they were meant to go on the bike that was running...oh well

I ain't toooo injured :weep: :laugh:

Sully60
19th May 2008, 20:45
Did they help Sully?

Plugging them in would have been helpful in this situation huh?

LMFAO @ Sully.... now thats a piss take of all piss takes, and I love the 125T engine, mate you beter be comming down to the BOB on that thing?

Ha ha!

I knew that would get some attention!

Ironically it was a day where they would've helped as the track temp was about as low as it's ever been and oldish slicks could've done with some heat. Didn't matter as it only run about ten laps before losing the abillity to change gear.:doh:

I wish I was coming down, it sounds like a cool meeting and you southerners sound like an ok lot, at least no one from up here has told me otherwise:bleh:

Maybe next year, I'll start saving now and start looking really small back sprockets:niceone:

dangerous
19th May 2008, 20:56
P
I wish I was coming down, it sounds like a cool meeting and you southerners sound like an ok lot, at least no one from up here has told me otherwise:bleh:

Maybe next year, I'll start saving now and start looking really small back sprockets:niceone:

F5 Dave has a spear seat, I can look at doing a entry deal for ya and the place Dave is staying at has a spear bed...

Number One
19th May 2008, 21:00
F5 Dave has a spear seat, I can look at doing a entry deal for ya and the place Dave is staying at has a spear bed...
:shit: I don't know if I keen to let you put my husband on a spear seat and in a spear bed...next you'll be telling me you got spear undies! ;)

k14
19th May 2008, 21:01
:shit: I don't know if I keen to let you put my husband on a spear seat and in a spear bed...next you'll be telling me you got spear undies! ;)
This is dangerous we're talking about, who knows when the last time he changed his undies was :woohoo:

dangerous
19th May 2008, 21:22
ohhhhh shut up the both of yars... *spare bed for #1 and Sully then :niceone:

TZ350
25th May 2008, 00:18
It seams to me there are three types of Bucket riders with an advantage. The $$$$ boys, the clever ones and those that can ride. Although there are $$$$ ones that can ride I personally admire the clever ones that can ride like Steadman and F5 Dave. I know I could go faster myself if I concentrated on improving my riding but I have liked tinkering more. There are some who just love to ride and cant tinker so they have to $$$.

I would not be to worried about fancy $$$$$ 150 four stroke buckets. Four strokes are much harder in my opinion to get more power and the right sort of power suited to the track than a 2-stroke. At Taupo last Xmas a bunch of GP125's from Auckland fair dicked all the $$$$ 150 4 smokes except for one very good rider and he got relegated to third by two GP125's in the last race.

The Buckets were run with the street stocks and although the buckets were gridded two rows behind the street stocks the faster buckets had cut half way through the street stock field by the end of the first lap. So you can still get an old Suzuki GP125, fiddle with it and be a competitive bucket racer.

dangerous
25th May 2008, 09:32
And Mr TZ350, why are you not comming to the Battle of the Buckets in June?
We have 12 Wellingtonians comming but still no dorkland reps, sort a crew out asap. :2thumbsup

ps: bring the TZ sunday is a post classic meet.

gav
25th May 2008, 09:41
What carb are you running on the GP125? Seem most prefer to run a 100 and run the bigger carb as allowed?
I don't think there is too much doubt that a hot two stroke can be faster than a near standard 150 four stroke.

dangerous
25th May 2008, 09:45
I don't think there is too much doubt that a hot two stroke can be faster than a near standard 150 four stroke.

but gav its also about brakes and handling.. a stroker may be able to have more power, but thats worthless with out brakes/handling.

Sully60
25th May 2008, 10:33
but gav its also about brakes and handling.. a stroker may be able to have more power, but thats worthless with out brakes/handling.
And all the power in the world is useless if you can't use it to go fast in the right direction at the right time.

That's why all of us in Welly got whipped by a bike with 7.5hp in 2005.

It's about the total package of engine, bike and rider and the suitability to the track.

I can't wait to get down to the BOB and check you all the South Island specific adaptations to racing on those wide open, fast tracks:soon:

Buddha#81
25th May 2008, 11:38
I can't wait to get down to the BOB and check you all the South Island specific adaptations to racing on those wide open, fast tracks:soon:

.....a pie guts and no brain seems to work for me. Dangerous's main adaptations are a grumpy personality and a has been bike. Rashika gets by on looks alone......there is no perticular adaptation that works down here. Just bring a small back sprocket.

Sully60
25th May 2008, 11:41
.....a pie guts and no brain seems to work for me.

Sweet, then I'm a shoe in!

Rashika
25th May 2008, 19:38
.....Rashika gets by on looks alone......

why thank you... I think :bleh:

guess I'd better work on my racing ability now that Lil'm is racing as well ;)

TygerTung
25th May 2008, 19:56
Reason I do so well is my attractive leathers and kind personality

Skunk
25th May 2008, 19:58
Yeah, right.

F5 Dave
26th May 2008, 15:16
And all the power in the world is useless if you can't use it to go fast in the right direction at the right time.

That's why all of us in Welly got whipped by a bike with 7.5hp in 2005.

It's about the total package of engine, bike and rider and the suitability to the track.
. . .

Actually I'll dispute that, I don't seem to remember getting whipped, & neither was Hamish. Yes young Jay did beat us some times, but not all the time.

But will totally agree with the first point, curiously adding weight to the 2nd. My 50 has high specific power for its size. But it’s a dog to ride on tight tracks. I’ve ridden Jays RG early on & it was not powerful, but was easy to ride. It did get faster & even changed sound later on. Its main advantage was always that it was pedalled by a maniac with no sense of fear. (anyways come back & make us honest all again Jay).

The problem with too peaky bike is at the extreme (ie: my 50) you spend too much time with the clutch slipping. Any time the clutch is being slipped the power isn’t getting to the ground. Conversely a broad spread can mean a larger average amount of power under the curve depending on the gearing. Whilst this makes a broad spread easier to ride on the short tracks there is another disadvantage on the really big tracks that the peaky bike can find the longer gearing makes the bike fall off too much in between gear changes.

Horses for courses. Hmm - that saying makes more sense now I think about it, I guess different equine meatsacks are better for different tracks.

So I'll leave with a quote from a real Character of Bucket racing in the 90s, Aucklander Jason; "Tight tracks are all very well, but its the fast corners that sort the men from the homos"

couldn't have said it funnier myself

Sully60
26th May 2008, 18:08
Actually I'll dispute that, I don't seem to remember getting whipped, & neither was Hamish. Yes young Jay did beat us some times, but not all the time.

I thought he won both F4 and F5 that year.

I remember both you and Hamish being fast that year, I thought he just scored more points. Anyway doesn't matter.

Must catch up about getting tyrewarmers sorted out for the BoB:yes:

Gotta keep thread on topic now!

Rashika
26th May 2008, 18:59
Must catch up about getting tyrewarmers sorted out for the BoB:yes:

Gotta keep thread on topic now!

yep. I'm halfway thru knitting the first one up ;)

Sully60
26th May 2008, 19:26
yep. I'm halfway thru knitting the first one up ;)

Ooohhh,

I hope you're using Mohair, I hear it gets cold down there:cold:

dangerous
26th May 2008, 19:41
Ooohhh,

didnt the Mo's become extinct years n years ago?

Rashika
26th May 2008, 19:50
Ooohhh,

ooooo now THEREs a thought, and I do so happen to have half a ball left, I could get a few inches out of it for a mohair tyrewarmer.

*please note the obvious connection to the thread title, just so I dont get infracted... Oh wait I might get infracted for P/T'ing, ah well cie le vie! :niceone:

Number One
26th May 2008, 19:50
didnt the Mo's become extinct years n years ago?
THAT CAN'T be 'on topic' :laugh:

gav
26th May 2008, 19:56
:whistle::moon::motu:
Ok, ok, I did bad ....... sorry folks!
As you were ...... what topic? :sleep:

Rashika
26th May 2008, 20:34
:whistle::moon::motu:
Ok, ok, I did bad ....... sorry folks!
As you were ...... what topic? :sleep:

:niceone:

I've been looking and I just cant find a hornets nest smilie, Gav get onto it wouldja?

Skunk
26th May 2008, 21:22
I'm thinking some strippers would get my tyres really hot...

Trudes
26th May 2008, 21:26

Well AJ's coming isn't he? Sorted.:niceone:

gav
26th May 2008, 21:31
:niceone:

I've been looking and I just cant find a hornets nest smilie, Gav get onto it wouldja?
Don't worry, think I found it! :woohoo:

dangerous
26th May 2008, 21:38
sorry Gav but OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh I so have to post this,

Well AJ's coming isn't he? Sorted.:niceone:
Damn Mrs KD... you know him well :wari:

Slingshot
26th May 2008, 21:49
sorry Gav but OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh I so have to post this,

Damn Mrs KD... you know him well :wari:

Jesus Christ...you should be infracted for not censoring that image...my eyes, my eyes...I'm bliiiiiiiind!

(Note for moderators: this is not a complaint...it's a piss-take, please don't infract)

gav
26th May 2008, 21:52
Hey I recognise that arse, ummm, hang on ...... nope, never seen it before :whistle:

koba
3rd June 2008, 07:38
Are there lots of CBRs and FXRs down south or somthing?
No one has brought one to welly sice Ive been doing it. (not long)

Buddha#81
3rd June 2008, 10:22
Are there lots of CBRs and FXRs down south or somthing?
No one has brought one to welly sice Ive been doing it. (not long)

Yeah about 2/3 the feild is now FXR's and 3 odd CBR's, they suit our "long track" racing well. Mine use to be owned by Sketchey Racer up your way, it was an unloved POS when he had it..........waits for Sketchys reply

koba
3rd June 2008, 10:25
it was an unloved POS when he had it.[/SIZE]

Don't worry, that is a pre-requisite for entry up here.

Damn thats alot of rich bikes!

Skunk
3rd June 2008, 10:27
Damn thats alot of rich bikes!
When you see the track you will understand...

koba
3rd June 2008, 10:34
When you see the track you will understand...

I can't wait! :D
I'm sure it will convince me that not bringing the pitbike was the correct decision....

Kickaha
3rd June 2008, 13:27
Yeah about 2/3 the feild is now FXR's and 3 odd CBR's,

Ridden by a bunch of talentless poofters to scared to ride real buckets :bleh:

fuck I hope mine doesn't break down again

Rashika
3rd June 2008, 15:25
Ridden by a bunch of talentless poofters to scared to ride real buckets :bleh:

yep... anything to win huh? :bleh:

Buddha#81
3rd June 2008, 18:47

All the bungs been checked for tightness?

gav
3rd June 2008, 23:03
Was Kickaha there last year? Didn't see him racing? :laugh::laugh:

CM2005
5th June 2008, 14:51
So you can still get an old Suzuki GP125, fiddle with it and be a competitive bucket racer.

Never a truer word spoken about the GP125. :niceone:

Buckets4Me
5th June 2008, 20:14
when you going to get your one going again after taupo ???
havent seen you since

CM2005
5th June 2008, 20:48
when you going to get your one going again after taupo ???
havent seen you since

that you carl? na mate just took the engine out today, but i've bought all the bits and an RG250 pipe. Going to ring robert tonite or tomorow.
Should be back after august, being posted back to whenuapai then.:cool:

TZ350
5th June 2008, 20:56
And Mr TZ350, why are you not comming to the Battle of the Buckets in June?
We have 12 Wellingtonians comming but still no dorkland reps, sort a crew out asap. :2thumbsup

ps: bring the TZ sunday is a post classic meet.

I should change my name to GPBucket or something as the TZ has become to expensive for me to ride or crash. I have become much more interested in Buckets. Buckets are much more fun, I can afford to fiddle with the bikes, developing them to suit the track, ride hard, and really learn to corner and best of all spend time with really great people.

I would love to come to the Battle of the buckets, there are a few of us talking about the reality of making the trip.

It looks like two/three days driving the van each way, 2 Fairy crossings and two days racing.

Whats the practicality's of sending the bikes ahead (container) and flying down?

Slingshot
5th June 2008, 21:18
Whats the practicality's of sending the bikes ahead (container) and flying down?

Some of the guys were talking about doing this for the Wellington bikes, it would be worth looking into for next year. The key would be getting lots of bikes/riders to share the cost. Apparently there are freighter ships that go between the ports all the time.

gav
5th June 2008, 23:06
I should change my name to GPBucket or something as the TZ has become to expensive for me to ride or crash. I have become much more interested in Buckets. Buckets are much more fun, I can afford to fiddle with the bikes, developing them to suit the track, ride hard, and really learn to corner and best of all spend time with really great people.

I would love to come to the Battle of the buckets, there are a few of us talking about the reality of making the trip.

It looks like two/three days driving the van each way, 2 Fairy crossings and two days racing.

Probably leaving it a bit late for this year mate ..... :doh:
But Greymouth Street Races at Labour weekend, see you there!

TZ350
6th June 2008, 19:51
Yes your right, it is really to late to do something now, we did talk about it earlier between ourselves but at the time it was too hard. For some of the other riders it was their first season and they were not to sure about the merits of making the trip. If we have another good meeting together at Taupo this Xmas, like last year. I will push to get something happening for a trip to CHCH.

Skunk
6th June 2008, 20:59
Yes your right, it is really to late to do something now, we did talk about it earlier between ourselves but at the time it was too hard. For some of the other riders it was their first season and they were not to sure about the merits of making the trip. If we have another good meeting together at Taupo this Xmas, like last year. I will push to get something happening for a trip to CHCH.
I've carried most of the bikes here and made one trailer trip. The rideras of those bikes did the grab-a-seat thing and flew.

I trying to get some of the Chch crew to Taupo, and more of the Welly crew too.

Trudes
6th June 2008, 21:14
I've carried most of the bikes here and made one trailer trip. The rideras of those bikes did the grab-a-seat thing and flew.

I trying to get some of the Chch crew to Taupo, and more of the Welly crew too.

Count me and the boykin in!!!:niceone:

TZ350
7th June 2008, 19:48
[QUOTE=Skunk;1595935]I've carried most of the bikes here and made one trailer trip. The rideras of those bikes did the grab-a-seat thing and flew.

I trying to get some of the Chch crew to Taupo, and more of the Welly crew too.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip about shipping the container by sea. The current thinking here is to load the van and trailer with bikes and gear then ship it all down in a container. Have the container left some were secure, Fly down and drive to the track or ship the container to the track and camp there using the container for accommodation. I am sure some thing will be worked out so we can get there next year.

I really hope you can get to Taupo next Xmas, we must meet up and put faces to names.:clap:

Skunk
10th June 2008, 13:16
Thanks for the tip about shipping the container by sea. The current thinking here is to load the van and trailer with bikes and gear then ship it all down in a container. Have the container left some were secure, Fly down and drive to the track or ship the container to the track and camp there using the container for accommodation.
I really hope you can get to Taupo next Xmas, we must meet up and put faces to names.:clap:
I think it would be cheaper if you find some fool to drive it down. With the MNZ group discount it's worth it. I've been to Taupo the last two years and will be there this year too. Got two BoB finishers already booked!