PDA

View Full Version : 70s dress-up... Advice and photos

Meekey_Mouse
12th May 2008, 19:23
Ok... So my youth group are having a 70's disco theme kinda thing on Wednesday night. I don't want to spend a whole lot of cash and have got a back up plan if I can't find anything in the short space of time....

But as the 70's is before my time.... I'm wondering if any of you guys who lived in that era have any photo's or fashion advice? :2thumbsup

MIXONE
12th May 2008, 19:28
Just come and raid my wardrobe.I've never been much of a fashion person so there is probably clothes in there from the 70's.
Does a 70's theme mean acid,wild wanton sex and no risk of AIDS?

98tls
12th May 2008, 19:30
Aint the interweb wonderful.http://www.ehow.com/how_2829_dress-disco.html

limbimtimwim
12th May 2008, 19:30
You are asking motorcyclists for style tips?!

Meekey_Mouse
12th May 2008, 19:35
Just come and raid my wardrobe.I've never been much of a fashion person so there is probably clothes in there from the 70's.
Does a 70's theme mean acid,wild wanton sex and no risk of AIDS?

Hehe, sadly you are rather far away. And no.... None of that :laugh:

Aint the interweb wonderful.http://www.ehow.com/how_2829_dress-disco.html

I've done lots of searches :yes: but thought what's better than actually asking people who have lived in the times?!

You are asking motorcyclists for style tips?!

Yes... We ride motorcycles, therefore must have good taste :whistle:

Ok.... So that's not necessarily true... But thought it might be cool to see pics of KB'ers dressed in the 70's garb:clap: and surely some of you would have style tips!

tri boy
12th May 2008, 19:42
For the blokes; flares, platforms, big collars, wide ties.
Chicks, think hideous dresses, and blouses.

Swoop
12th May 2008, 19:48
It's all too hideous.

Vomit on an old dress. The colour scheme and pattern will be remarkably similar.

Motu
12th May 2008, 19:48
We just wore clothes....

The styles were just a bit tighter than what is worn these days - the jeans fitted! Tight around the arse,tight on the thigh,the lower leg was tight too,but flares were common as well.T shirts were a good fit,tight on the arms.T shirts fitted girls very well and a special note - girls seldom wore a bra in the '70's.

For guys the hair style was long,parted in the middle with no grooming - it was just long hair ah la natural.Side burns and mo's for those who could.Shoes were old style basketball boots,boots were work type lace ups.

For the motorcycle look - you didn't wash your clothes....look for a ''shine'' on the thighs,indicating well worked in jeans.A cut off DJ,never been washed and totally filthy was a cool look.

Pussy
12th May 2008, 19:50
I'd help you out, Jas... but I've got alzheimers, so I don't remember

Trudes
12th May 2008, 19:52
Punk, go punk. Think The Sex Pistols.

Oakie
12th May 2008, 19:55
Hmm. Go and hire the movie, 'Saturday Night Fever' (1977). That'll give you some clues.

EDIT: Alternatively, 'Car Wash', 'Fame' or 'Thank God It's Friday'

Highlander
12th May 2008, 20:05
Chicks, think hideous dresses, and blouses.

SHORT skirts.

Stick in a couple of photos after so we can see how you did.

Bren
12th May 2008, 20:12
SHORT skirts.

Stick in a couple of photos after so we can see how you did.

that was more the 60s
70s dresses were a lot longer....

Big Dave
12th May 2008, 20:17
that was more the 60s
70s dresses were a lot longer....

You just had a 6'5" - 120kg man stomp on your foot.

Bren
12th May 2008, 20:23
You just had a 6'5" - 120kg man stomp on your foot.

hey,, i am going on what i remember...and that was 1975 onwards..(i was born in 1970)

dont blame me that im not an old fart...:Pokey:

Highlander
12th May 2008, 20:27
hey,, i am going on what i remember...and that was 1975 onwards..(i was born in 1970)

Similar vintage to me then mate. Only vaguely recall the later part '70s.

Boob Johnson
12th May 2008, 20:29
Twas a child of the 70's but no photo's handy sorry. Easiest fix is just go to the closest fancy dress shop & they will have you sorted in no time or better yet an Op Shop/Sally Army store then you get to keep them for another time or a friend :niceone:

rat biker 08
12th May 2008, 20:34
Sorry dude no pics but op shops are a good start . was to stoned to worry bout fashion.

Bren
12th May 2008, 20:40

and weren't they great years....scary thing is I know why people went through that 70s craze in the 90s...cos i seem to be reminiscing to the 80s so much now!

Big Dave
12th May 2008, 21:18
I got out some pics to show how I dressed in the 70s - but it's exactly the same as now. (And the 80s and 90s)

Levis, boots, tee and a black leather jacket. Just not as wide and as motu said - tighter.

The Pastor
12th May 2008, 21:40
you'd need to get a nice mid 70's honda to go with your outfit....

scumdog
12th May 2008, 21:45

I was in my 20's during that era.

Still can't remember the later part, memory is vague.....:(

scumdog
12th May 2008, 21:46
I got out some pics to show how I dressed in the 70s - but it's exactly the same as now. (And the 80s and 90s)

Levis, boots, tee and a black leather jacket. Just not as wide and as motu said - tighter.

And don't forget the polo-neck jerseys!

Meekey_Mouse
12th May 2008, 22:07
Lol, I will try get some pics on the night... But I'm not sure if there will be any of me... I normally try dodge the cameras :chase:

Sorry dude no pics but op shops are a good start . was to stoned to worry bout fashion.
Went to the Opshop today but it's a bit hard when you have no idea what you're looking for! I'm taking my mum with me tomorrow to see if she can lead me in the right direction... But thought I'd try get at least an idea of what I'm looking for as well:blink:

Trudes
12th May 2008, 22:10
try wikepedia(sp) for 70's fashion.

Highlander
12th May 2008, 22:14
70's fashion.

Contradiction of terms some would argue.

MD
12th May 2008, 22:31
Go up market, business style.
light grey walk shorts- tight fitting of course, wide tie with short sleeves shirt and a BIG collar. Knee high walk socks (preferably white or light grey) with brown shoes. Oh, and don't forget to wear the brown chequered sports coat over it to complete the ensemble. Stunning is he says Yoda!

As Motu said us youngsters wore better fitting clothes than now. What's wrong with tight jeans flaring out to bell bottoms ..yummy. Even made the blokes look sexy from behind what with that long hair. Mind you it meant you had to stay sober to avoid a dangerous mistake.

70s birds were slim and small titted generally compared to today's busty porkies. Must be the food supplements of today. Minis were still in throughout the 70s and possibly the best was hot pants - if you don't know look up the original Dukes of Hazzard chickie babe. She knew how to dress 70s style.

If only I still had those purple platform shoes, man they were good.

Motu
12th May 2008, 22:33
All too scared to show how you looked in the '70's? This is 1973 - toweling hat,unwashed,uncombed,uncut hair,black singlet,jeans (note how filthy they are) and basketball boots.Those jeans are pretty baggy for the day,but they were good as an overpair on cold nights.I wasn't into fashion,this was 24 hr garb.

scumdog
12th May 2008, 22:37
70s birds were slim and small titted generally compared to today's busty porkies. Must be the food supplements of today. .

You notice that too??

I've almost been scared out of my wits when stopping a car load of young ones and a 'xxxos' sized sheila backs out of the rear seat, big-arse builders crack surmounted by a bakers-delight muffin top and then turns around to threaten me with a jumbo-sized bareley restrained acreage of heaving kazungaz that would torture-test any bra while gripping the waistband of her waytoosmall pants and trying to heave the whole ensemble back into position.....:pinch:

Maha
12th May 2008, 22:39
I went to a 70's dress up party once, dressed as that dude from The Sweet? whats his name?...he's dead now, anyway, others at the party thought I was the indian from the fucken' Village People! I dressed from the Wig Wam days...;)

martybabe
12th May 2008, 22:54
Ah the 70s, the best decade of my life and still the soundtrack to my life.

Marc bolan, dave bowie, roxy music, skinheads,halter tops,maxis, minis,tank tops, punk,flares.

If this threads still alive tomorrow I'll dig out some old photos for a giggle. :clap:

Gareth51
12th May 2008, 23:08
I Was in my 20's then I can remember having a bright blue suit,a leather and swede jacket,a grey chequed suit ,a blue denim suit, a white suit I brought while in London.I would wear a white polo neck under the leather jacket.Bell bottom trouses with 2" cuffs (loss my keys one night,had fallen out of my pocket and landed in the cuff ),colour matched 2" platform shoes
Girls started wearing there dresser longer and no knickers.Sleveless jumpers with long sleave shirts,and offcourse jeans as long as they were tight around the arse

Pwalo
13th May 2008, 07:41
Just don't do it. I was there, and it was awful.

scumdog
13th May 2008, 08:05

More awful than saggy low-riding jeans with satin boxers showing, a funny duck-like gait to compensate and scuffed cuffs with mud (and other nastiness) clinging to them?

And t-shirts OVER skivvies, hats on backwards and driving ones car while wearing said hat, hoodie pulled up - and sunglasses at night etc etc??

HornetBoy
13th May 2008, 08:06
I Was in my 20's then I can remember having a bright blue suit,a leather and swede jacket,a grey chequed suit ,a blue denim suit, a white suit I brought while in London.I would wear a white polo neck under the leather jacket.Bell bottom trouses with 2" cuffs (loss my keys one night,had fallen out of my pocket and landed in the cuff ),colour matched 2" platform shoes
Girls started wearing there dresser longer and no knickers.Sleveless jumpers with long sleave shirts,and offcourse jeans as long as they were tight around the arse

:gob: Oh god, that bad was it ? :laugh:

Usarka
13th May 2008, 08:43
I was in my 20's during that era.

Still can't remember the later part, memory is vague.....:(

so you were conservative with the truth in the recruitment process then :whistle:

Pwalo
13th May 2008, 11:47
More awful than saggy low-riding jeans with satin boxers showing, a funny duck-like gait to compensate and scuffed cuffs with mud (and other nastiness) clinging to them?

And t-shirts OVER skivvies, hats on backwards and driving ones car while wearing said hat, hoodie pulled up - and sunglasses at night etc etc??

No I don't live in the Hutt, or Wainui. Funnily enough I don't actually know any kids who dress like that. Certainly my kids and their friends don't.

scumdog
13th May 2008, 12:03
No I don't live in the Hutt, or Wainui. Funnily enough I don't actually know any kids who dress like that. Certainly my kids and their friends don't.

You've never seen them with hoodies pulled up while driving around? or saggy-baggy jeans hanging down and the cuffs scraping the ground while exposing the wearers satin boxer-shorts etc?

Then your kids and mates must be behind the times? - or maybe starting a 'new' fashion?

And I figured out the real lean-back driving style - it's so the peak on your hat doesn't get bumped by the head-rest on the seat...:niceone:
(I think, why else would they drive like that??)

Big Dave
13th May 2008, 12:14
I don't actually know any kids who dress like that.

I don't know any who don't.

Big Dave
13th May 2008, 12:16
And I figured out the real lean-back driving style - it's so the peak on your hat doesn't get bumped by the head-rest on the seat...:niceone:
(I think, why else would they drive like that??)

After they remove the suspension springs and the seat lower and just sit on the floor.

Morons.

tri boy
13th May 2008, 12:36
Bwaarp bwaarp bwaarp, petish, bwaaaarpp bwaaaarp.................

scumdog
13th May 2008, 12:40
After they remove the suspension springs and the seat lower and just sit on the floor.

Morons.

Makes for good nose-to-tails when they're tail-gating (they do a lot of that) 'cos they're sitting too low to see the brake-lights of the car on front a lot of the time.:blank:

Big Dave
13th May 2008, 13:13
Makes for good nose-to-tails when they're tail-gating (they do a lot of that) 'cos they're sitting too low to see the brake-lights of the car on front a lot of the time.:blank:

You wouldn't catch bikers lowering seats and compromising performance with slammed rear ends - that's for .......

Highlander
13th May 2008, 19:23
You've never seen them with hoodies pulled up while driving around? or saggy-baggy jeans hanging down and the cuffs scraping the ground while exposing the wearers satin boxer-shorts etc?

Told my kids if I can see their undies sticking out the top of their pants they get a wedgie. Only had to do it twice.

Meekey_Mouse
13th May 2008, 19:25
As to the whole jeans low and boxers showin... That is SOOO old, only the gangsta's and WBG do that nowa days.

Metro or Emo is in for the guys ;)

Rofl.... Back to topic....

Which do you guys and gals think is more 70's? I know neither are great but meh... Short time line and budget :bleh:

I have to shorten the flowery dress, so holding it up in the pic.

:Playnice:

Meekey_Mouse
13th May 2008, 19:26
Told my kids if I can see their undies sticking out the top of their pants they get a wedgie. Only had to do it twice.

Hahaha, awesome stuff :D

Darn, new page... Please see pics on page 3 and give me your opinion!

MIXONE
13th May 2008, 19:43
Does it for this boy.:drool:

Meekey_Mouse
13th May 2008, 19:45
Does it for this boy.:drool:

Lol! Not helpful :P Which one do you think is more 70's?

tri boy
13th May 2008, 19:48
Which do you guys and gals think is more 70's? I know neither are great but meh... Short time line and budget :bleh:

You'd gotten laid in both, but the frilly white one would show the wrestle marks more:laugh:

Maha
13th May 2008, 19:50

Needs to be way shorter...twas the 70's after all.

martybabe
13th May 2008, 20:21
The flowery one on the left is pretty damn close. :yes:

Highlander
13th May 2008, 20:28
Really depends on if you are aiming for Early, Mid or Late 70's.
Like Maha says shorter (think "any shorter it would be a belt", and then you are getting close) and like Tri boy says, either of those would do the job, but I think the flowery one on the left is probably more 70's.

jrandom
13th May 2008, 20:40
I know neither are great...

Rubbish. You're positively gorgeous, dahling.

:love:

Meekey_Mouse
14th May 2008, 17:08
Rubbish. You're positively gorgeous, dahling.

:love:

Aww shux :o

I still haven't decided between the two lol... So will do my hair and make up n stuff and then see which one goes. This is the first time any one from my youth group will see me in a dress and I've been going for near on 7 years!!! :laugh: