PDA

View Full Version : Bike trailer,um,trailer bike - oh hell,you decide.

Motu
23rd December 2004, 22:14
This came in for a WoF today,ready for his holiday - you might see it on the road central Nth Is.The draw bar is channel,I wondered why,then he tells me he can take the top and end boards off,put the bike on the trailer and tow the whole lot behind his truck!! Is it leagal? How the hell would I know! That's his job,he makes trailers and trailer components for a living - I trust him....,he knows the regs better than I do.It's all very well done,tow bar and all - the whole trailer hot dipped!

gav
23rd December 2004, 22:26
:no:
WTF would you want to tow a trailer like that, with a motorcycle? (Esp if hes got a truck!! )
Ohh, XJ900, might improve the handling I guess, and keep it upright...

Nah ban the thing I say!! :Police:

Yamahamaman
23rd December 2004, 22:31
This came in for a WoF today,ready for his holiday - you might see it on the road central Nth Is.The draw bar is channel,I wondered why,then he tells me he can take the top and end boards off,put the bike on the trailer and tow the whole lot behind his truck!! Is it leagal? How the hell would I know! That's his job,he makes trailers and trailer components for a living - I trust him....,he knows the regs better than I do.It's all very well done,tow bar and all - the whole trailer hot dipped!
Been thinking about a trailer for the R6 - can you put me in touch with this guy?

Motu
23rd December 2004, 22:56
WTF would you want to tow a trailer like that, with a motorcycle? (Esp if hes got a truck!! )

Nah ban the thing I say!! :Police:

He's a hunter,his 4X4 can get him in deep,then he can cruise around the area on the bike(roads) without breaking camp in the truck.How many poaka's do you reckon will fit in the trailer?

FROSTY
23rd December 2004, 23:27
:
look closer gav--Its a lil XJ600--chain drive and the solid aly graibrial gives it away.
Ohh and as i recall --carol pavich towed her racebike on a trailer all around NZ -behind a xj900

Storm
24th December 2004, 06:10
Behold the XJ faithful rising in defence of thier beloved bikes :bash: :2thumbsup

James Deuce
24th December 2004, 06:15
Behold the XJ faithful rising in defence of thier beloved bikes :bash: :2thumbsup

Rising to the bait you mean!.

merv
24th December 2004, 06:57
Straight from the Trailer Guidelines of Land Transport NZ formerly LTSA:

As a guide, the Land Transport Safety Authority (LTSA) recommends that the laden weight of an unbraked trailer should not exceed 3/4 of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and then only if the towing vehicle's brakes and tyres are in excellent condition. A trailer heavier than this may prevent the vehicle combination from meeting the 7 m from 30 km/h brake performance requirement. If the trailer is equipped with brakes, it may be possible to safely tow a trailer heavier than 3/4 of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, but the 7 m from 30 km/h brake performance requirement still applies.

Given the weight of a motorcycle, it doesn't leave you with much room to move. I would say the trailer shown could easily exceed the weight limit and at that point may be deemed unsafe. This note above is a guideline though, I don't know what the actual law is I can't find anything about that.

FROSTY
24th December 2004, 07:16
Trouble is merv the abs brakes thing etc kinda puts the kawash on things.

merv
24th December 2004, 07:25
Trouble is merv the abs brakes thing etc kinda puts the kawash on things.
Whatever, I guess you would have to prove to some authority that what you have is in compliance with the stopping distance requirement.

I can't see the trailer above stopping very well at all laden behind an XJ600 on a wet slippery road.

bungbung
24th December 2004, 07:35
As I recall, the '600' in XJ600 refers to the bikes weight in kilograms, therefore there shouldn't be a problem.

merv
24th December 2004, 07:40
As I recall, the '600' in XJ600 refers to the bikes weight in kilograms, therefore there shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah Spud and his mates would fall for that eh.

Slim
24th December 2004, 08:08
:lol:

My first thought was, what happens if you go a bit hot into a corner & then have to brake? Wouldn't the trailer end up pushing the bike round the corner??? And obviously there's some sort of swivel arrangement on the trailer so the bike can lean, right?

Has anyone here towed a trailer on a bike themselves? How different is it to ride with one on?

vifferman
24th December 2004, 08:22
:lol:

My first thought was, what happens if you go a bit hot into a corner & then have to brake? Wouldn't the trailer end up pushing the bike round the corner??? And obviously there's some sort of swivel arrangement on the trailer so the bike can lean, right?

Has anyone here towed a trailer on a bike themselves? How different is it to ride with one on?Well, having had mucho experience back when I was a professional sheep shagger, riding bikes around a hilly farm with a trailer on the back, I can tell you that it's a whole big, bad kettle of fish (smelly ones too!) And the trailers we used were very lightweight ones ('cept when they had three or 4 sheep on board :eek: )
Yes, it pushes the back around under braking, and also the steering is very adversely affected by the weight of the trailer. It's quite tricky getting the weighting just right, just on the flat, and then when you throw hills into the equation, it's really mental. Too much weight on the front of the trailer, and the front is all light and you can't steer (except by judicial use of body english), and too little and the back wheel loses traction.
So you'd start off, big wheelie or wheelspin or both, then you'd be climbing on the tank and leaning over the bars, or leaning back, and eventually you'd be away. Then when you had some speed up, or you came to a slight hill, you'd have a bit much weight towards the back, and a slow weave would start, and a slow tank-slapper. Crazy shit, Man!!:crazy:

I soon learned that you need to hog-tie the sheeep AND then tie them where you wanted 'em to stay, and even then, it was VERY entertaining trying to ride around paddocks. Even dead sheep were very bad passengers, but at least you could kick the shit outta them if they misbehaved....
So the best thing with transporting dead sheep was to tie a loop of baling twine around a leg (usally a back one), then the other end onto the towbar of the trusty rusty crusty XL125S, and then go for it.
Usually most of the sheep got there, but sometimes you'd end up with just a leg tied to the towbar....:buggerd:

750Y
24th December 2004, 08:29
...So the best thing with transporting dead sheep was to tie a loop of baling twine around a leg (usally a back one), then the other end onto the towbar of the trusty rusty crusty XL125S, and then go for it.
Usually most of the sheep got there, but sometimes you'd end up with just a leg tied to the towbar....:buggerd:

lol, i can relate to that, having towed a dead steer behind the tractor a couple weeks back, I was taking it to the neighbours offal pit, i eventually got it up onto a trailer, but get this! the mrs was telling me "just tow it up the road!!!".

F5 Dave
24th December 2004, 09:10
I just can’t get my head around all that trailer stuff. I live-eat-sleep-breathe bikes, but even I am screaming inside my head “If you have that much gear, just take the soddin’ car!” Better yet buy a van like us sensible folk so you can take the bike to where you are going.

Failing that pack sensibly, why ruin the fun part of riding a bike?

Heck it’s like Trikes; All the worst parts of a bike combined with all the inconvenient size of a car, all packaged into an evil handling ugly abortion & if it rains you still get wet. Just learn to ride.

Ok let the abuse begin.[sigh]

Blakamin
24th December 2004, 14:06
Failing that pack sensibly, why ruin the fun part of riding a bike?

Heck it’s like Trikes; All the worst parts of a bike combined with all the inconvenient size of a car, all packaged into an evil handling ugly abortion & if it rains you still get wet. Just learn to ride.

Ok let the abuse begin.[sigh]

Wot ^^^^ he said..... whats the point of it all???? :thud:

Motu
24th December 2004, 14:46
Straight from the Trailer Guidelines of Land Transport NZ formerly LTSA:

As a guide, the Land Transport Safety Authority (LTSA) recommends that the laden weight of an unbraked trailer should not exceed 3/4 of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and then only if the towing vehicle's brakes and tyres are in excellent condition. A trailer heavier than this may prevent the vehicle combination from meeting the 7 m from 30 km/h brake performance requirement. If the trailer is equipped with brakes, it may be possible to safely tow a trailer heavier than 3/4 of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, but the 7 m from 30 km/h brake performance requirement still applies.

Given the weight of a motorcycle, it doesn't leave you with much room to move. I would say the trailer shown could easily exceed the weight limit and at that point may be deemed unsafe. This note above is a guideline though, I don't know what the actual law is I can't find anything about that.

It's built to the regs of course,but as with all trailers - laden weight is a different story.This is not a trailer you buy over the counter,he has built it to suit his purposes - it's not going to have a metre of builders mix in the back,but sure as hell he's gunna push it's limits.....of course none of us would ever dream of,y'know.....having fun...nah,that'd be stupid.

Yes Slim,I reckon if you braked around a corner you could be in trouble - ever done that in a car with a trailer behind?