PDA

View Full Version : National Cheesecutter Awareness Rides

Mom
15th May 2008, 11:29
Saturday June 28th

A series of rides have been organised around New Zealand for the dual purpose of raising funds for local Rescue Helicopter Services and to bring the Cheese Cutter issue back into the public eye.

Please look at the threads below and make the effort to support this event!

PLEASE WEAR A RED ARM BAND

In Auckland (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72686)

In Auckland 9am - Botany Honda
In Tauranga 11:30am - Bayride Motorcycles
In Rotorua 1:00pm - Bike Force
In Hamilton 3:00pm - Boyd Motorcycles
In Auckland 5:30pm - Mechanics Bay - if you are intending to meet the ride back in Auckland can you please look here and register your attendance (OSH requirement for Helicopter base) http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=74627

In Hawkes Bay (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73292)

In Napier 11:00am - Five Star Suzuki

In Manawatu (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73011)

In Palmerston North 10:30am - Phill Turnbulls Motorcycles

In Nelson/Marlborough (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73248)

Richmond A & P Showgrounds 10:00am

In Canterbury (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72979)

Meet 10am Belfast Pub

In Dunedin (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=75383)

MCR (Motorcycle Replacements) at 11:00am

Mom
15th May 2008, 11:34
I have sent the organisers of these rides an information resource pack containing, a clip board, press clippings, petition forms, Cheese Cutter Campaign stickers and other printed flyers to use.

I have also sent supporting bike shops for the Auckland ride a similar resource pack. Local organisers should have enough "spares" in their packs to do the same for their supporting businesses and shops.

The support for this ride has been overwhelming, lets all get in behind it and bring this issue back to the fore!

Maha
15th May 2008, 13:27
Yes this Event has really got an overwhelming amount of support. So much as been done over the last few days (now that we have almost all the imfo we need) all the bike shops have re-contacted since my initial phone call a few weeks ago. They now have a real good idea on what is happening and are doing their bit on supporting both sides of whats happening on June 28. I am quite blowen away really on how this little thought I had about a month ago has turned out. There are so many people to thank at this point but its not over yet. Anne has done a suppurb job over the last couple of days on the organising front, its has been quite outstanding really. Just a few loose ends to tie up and we will be set.

Mom
15th May 2008, 19:56
I really should thank my black cat for her help assembling these packs :lol:

Cr1MiNaL
15th May 2008, 20:10
I really should thank my black cat for her help assembling these packs :lol:

man I love that cat, its so soft ! n friendly.... n light lol:shit:

WarlockNZ
15th May 2008, 21:17
I'm still waiting for that press release for the herald, hows that coming along ??.

Also, let me know what the local papers are in the region's that the events are taking place, if they are owned by us i'll forward the press release along to the editors of the publications.

EDIT.

I know we own the Hawkes Bay Today and the Christchurch star, not sure about the other venues tho

Mom
16th May 2008, 07:22
I'm still waiting for that press release for the herald, hows that coming along ??.

Also, let me know what the local papers are in the region's that the events are taking place, if they are owned by us i'll forward the press release along to the editors of the publications.

EDIT.

I know we own the Hawkes Bay Today and the Christchurch star, not sure about the other venues tho

Sheeesh, give a girl a chance LOL

I have started in on it, maybe even today I will get it to you. I feel a bulk PM coming on at the moment, to find out the local papers from the organisers. :yes:

chanceyy
16th May 2008, 07:25
cheers Mom ... I should have mine waiting for me when I get back home on sunday :D

Warlock do you have any publications in the manawatu ??

WarlockNZ
16th May 2008, 14:59
cheers Mom ... I should have mine waiting for me when I get back home on sunday :D

Warlock do you have any publications in the manawatu ??

I don't believe so no.

Mom
16th May 2008, 18:22
For those of you that think we may be trying to get things moving too soon, it seems we have missed getting an article in the prior issues of Motorcycle Trader, although getting news on their website is a big yahoo!

Here is a response received today:

"Hi Anne,
Shane Solomon here, I'm the Deputy Editor of Motorcycle Trader and News
Magazine and would be very interested in this ride. Can you please
provide some details for this, which I can put onto our website
www.motorcycletrader.co.nz . Unfortunately our June issue has just gone
to print, but we can do an editorial piece on the actual ride for the
next issue of MTN.
Please let me know.

Cheers,
SHANE SOLOMON"

Common guys this can work!!

Mom
16th May 2008, 18:28
Big ups today for the lady at our local post thingamy...

Been so many franchises doing mail over the past few years I forget what brand they call themselves.

I bought a heap of NZ Post plastic mail bags to send out the info packs, came home loaded them up and went back to post them.

As some of you may be aware NZ Post have recently changed their charging structure.

My bags of goodies was outside the size for the minimum price (nice, sell bags over size to fleece the unaware ie: me) to send even though they did not weigh anything like 2kgs each. This lovely lady gave me some sellotape to tape down the surplus plastic to make the packages fit the minimum charge.

Tip for today: get to know your local post staff!

MSTRS
17th May 2008, 09:34
"Hi Anne,
Shane Solomon here, I'm the Deputy Editor of Motorcycle Trader and News
Magazine and would be very interested in this ride. .....but we can do an editorial piece on the actual ride for the
next issue of MTN.
Please let me know.

Cheers,
SHANE SOLOMON"

Suggestion:- report from each event around the country to be sent to Mom, so she can ensure that Shane gets all the info for a great write-up.

Mom
17th May 2008, 09:43
Suggestion:- report from each event around the country to be sent to Mom, so she can ensure that Shane gets all the info for a great write-up.

What a good idea! Yes I will be very happy to get a detailed report from the organisers about their rides.

I am waiting to get a response back from Kiwi Rider too, hopefully they will also think reporting on this ride is a great idea as well. Will keep you posted.

I am keeping a sort of diary of the steps I have taken along the way to use as a resource for any future rides and the like. It would be good if you guys could do the same.

On yet another positive note, I have just emailed the CC website administrator to get the site updated with details of this ride and to get access to the online signatures too. He is not in the country at the moment, but hopefully will have a few spare moments to do the update while he is away.

I am expecting to get the signed forms this weekend, if not I will go and collect them early next week. Onwards and upwards I say!

yungatart
17th May 2008, 09:45
Pack arrived today, Anne. It looks fantastic!!
We are off to a"planning " meeting right now.....

Mom
17th May 2008, 09:47
Pack arrived today, Anne. It looks fantastic!!
We are off to a"planning " meeting right now.....

YAY!!!

Hopefully everyone else has theirs too! I have the tracking numbers for them, but I dont know what number goes with which pack. Ooops...LOL

Maha
17th May 2008, 09:55
My report will be easy.''went there and there and there an got some money''

chanceyy
17th May 2008, 16:14
plz keep this on topic any off topic matter will be in PD ..

thanks lets make this fundraiser/awareness ride successful

Mom
17th May 2008, 17:58
Just an update for you all. I am putting together a web page update regarding what we are doing here for uploading to the cheesecutter website! To save me a bit of time, I would love people to PM me or post up here what they are planning to do so I can include it!

Mom
19th May 2008, 16:46
I need some help!

Rashika has produced the most amazing flyer for the Auckland ride! Maha man compares it as a fine art graduate to a kindy finger painting, mine being the finger painting!

I need some kind people in Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua and Hamilton to offer up a bit of time to go and put these flyers up for me. I would do it but distance is a bit of an issue really. I am happy to colour copy some and send down to you.

I am really looking forward to being overwhelmed by offers of help!

Thanks guys!

Mom
23rd May 2008, 07:57
***bump***

Mom
23rd May 2008, 11:28
Here is the first press release!

chanceyy
23rd May 2008, 11:31
Here is the first press release!

EDIT: Just off to fix a couple of those linky things that dont seem to have come through in one piece.

Looks Good Mom :2thumbsup

yungatart
23rd May 2008, 15:55
I need some help!

Rashika has produced the most amazing flyer for the Auckland ride! Maha man compares it as a fine art graduate to a kindy finger painting, mine being the finger painting!

I need some kind people in Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua and Hamilton to offer up a bit of time to go and put these flyers up for me. I would do it but distance is a bit of an issue really. I am happy to colour copy some and send down to you.

I am really looking forward to being overwhelmed by offers of help!

Thanks guys!

Are you sending me some flyers so I can "do" Taupo on Sunday?

Mom
23rd May 2008, 15:58
Are you sending me some flyers so I can "do" Taupo on Sunday?

The woman that has the copy place in town is away this week, I emailed her the flyer for her to print out, and promptly put it on the back burner till next week! :o

Dumb! PM me your email, I will email you the file, maybe you could copy a few off yourself? :dodge: Sorry about that, must have had a bit too much to do this week.

Mom
23rd May 2008, 15:59
I have received a reply from Leanne Frisbie - Marketing Manager for the Westpac helicopter in Auckland.

Hi Anne, thanks so much, I'll get the info up on our webisite for you.

Thanks, Leanne.

Disco Dan
24th May 2008, 12:33
I dont get it. :blank:

So this is not a ride? And I got confused reading the press release... talks about wire barriers then all of a sudden it's talking about raising money for the helicopter?

So I gather people are just meant to turn up to the meeting points, loiter about and hand over money yeah? Will everyone know that the money they are giving is for the helicopter and has nothing to do with helping stop wire barriers?

Excuse me for playing devils advocate a tad, I just want a bit of clarification!

WarlockNZ
24th May 2008, 12:47
I dont get it. :blank:I just want a bit of clarification!

It's for a dual purpose Dan, support the local chopper trust (give money) and to try to get the cheese cutter issue back in the media (red arm band).

yungatart
24th May 2008, 12:58
It's for a dual purpose Dan, support the local chopper trust (give money) and to try to get the cheese cutter issue back in the media (red arm band).

...and petitions signed!

Mom
24th May 2008, 15:04
I dont get it. :blank:

So this is not a ride? And I got confused reading the press release... talks about wire barriers then all of a sudden it's talking about raising money for the helicopter?

So I gather people are just meant to turn up to the meeting points, loiter about and hand over money yeah? Will everyone know that the money they are giving is for the helicopter and has nothing to do with helping stop wire barriers?

Excuse me for playing devils advocate a tad, I just want a bit of clarification!

Here is a novel thought though. Why not organise something in Auckland yourself to finish up at Mechanics Bay when the big ride out returns, you can collect money and get a heap of signatures on the petition at the same time. PM me if you need any resources to get you started, I have spares. The helicopter trust are providing stickers for people that have donated money. There is 2 $100 petrol voucher draws for those that do donate. It is a joint effort mate, the more support it gets the better for all concerned.

Mom
24th May 2008, 15:47
I just want a bit of clarification!

At each of the bike shops the Auckland ride is stopping at there will be a speech given outlining the aims of the Cheese Cutter campaign, and riders will be gathering signatures at that time. There will be heaps of spare petition forms for people to take away and get signed.

All of the shops are making a real effort to support this ride, providing BBQ food and coffee etc. They have all received a resource pack with CC posters, press articles and petition forms for display in their shops, and in some cases are promoting the event on their own web sites. They are completely in tune with the 2 aims of this ride as is the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust.

Some of us were unable to make the big Westpac ride in February and this is some way that we can make up for that, and raise a bit of money for them.

We have the full support of the Westpac Helicopter for this ride, infact they are delighted that we are doing it. Some how the synergy of putting these two things together was not lost on anyone else. Cheese Cutter barriers are not safe for any road users, but particularly motorcyclists, they maim and even kill. The Helicopter Rescue services are there to help us should we get injured in pursuit of our sport. An easy mix really.

I have personally spent a huge amount of time over the past couple of weeks getting this thing up and running. The press release that you mentioned has already been circulated to print, radio, TV stations and to bike magazines as well.

Come on DD get in behind it and help to make it as big as it can get. Take a few mates and a heap of petition forms to a mall near you, ask if you can sit there and gather signatures, I will send you posters, petition forms, news articles to help you explain what it is all about.

I hope that riders in the other places we are stopping will offer to do the same. Get the Red Arm Bands on and get out there spreading the message about these things. Come and meet us at the bike shops and donate $10 to a very worthy cause, enjoy a sausage and a chat, have a look around the shops, generally enjoy themselves.

Disco Dan
25th May 2008, 01:10
Here is a novel thought though. Why not organise something in Auckland yourself to finish up at Mechanics Bay when the big ride out returns, you can collect money and get a heap of signatures on the petition at the same time. PM me if you need any resources to get you started, I have spares. The helicopter trust are providing stickers for people that have donated money. There is 2 $100 petrol voucher draws for those that do donate. It is a joint effort mate, the more support it gets the better for all concerned.

Come on DD get in behind it and help to make it as big as it can get. Take a few mates and a heap of petition forms to a mall near you, ask if you can sit there and gather signatures, I will send you posters, petition forms, news articles to help you explain what it is all about.

I hope that riders in the other places we are stopping will offer to do the same. Get the Red Arm Bands on and get out there spreading the message about these things. Come and meet us at the bike shops and donate $10 to a very worthy cause, enjoy a sausage and a chat, have a look around the shops, generally enjoy themselves.

My intention was not to offend, or belittle what you and others are doing; I mearly wished to find out a bit more as I am confused.

I will not tarnish this thread with all of my opinions, but rather I will acknowledge what you and others are doing. I donate to westpac helicopter foundation and attend rides where/when I can, but I cannot say that I will attend this one because I do not agree with a certain aspect of it (which will never be posted in public arena).

I wish you all luck however and it is obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into the cheesecutter campaign.

Toaster
25th May 2008, 15:07
Everyone got out their sewing machines and made their red arm bands yet???!!!

sinfull
25th May 2008, 16:03
Everyone got out their sewing machines and made their red arm bands yet???!!!

Will be carrying a couple of rolls of red insulation tape in my pockets if any in the manawatu find themselves without !

MSTRS
26th May 2008, 09:21
I will not tarnish this thread with all of my opinions

Glad to see that you support the efforts of so many on your behalf.
You are entitled to your opinions, of course, but opinions do not = reality. And the reality of cheesecutters as opposed to other barrier types is that you will come off a great deal more damaged if you hit a WRB.

Mom
26th May 2008, 16:49
What an interesting afternnon of phone calls! I have taken some time to contact people in the Cement and Concrete Industry and the Automobile Assn. Both these organisations are also concerned about the safety of Wire rope barriers, but obviously for different reasons. AA have also to say that they are doing there job in preventing head on accidents so are not all bad.

I have made some good contacts today and look forward to working with them in this mission to get a moratorium on the further installation of cheese cutter barriers.

I have also been in contact with my local MP's office, sadly he is not available to talk to in person until June 20th, but that is better than nothing. I am about to pose a question for him to ask of Harry Dynhoven and the acting transport secretary Wayne Donnelley. A good days work all round really!

MSTRS
26th May 2008, 16:55
Well done Mom. I had heard that AA were not 100% behind Transit on the question of WRBs. Are they saying different now?
Be very careful and precise as to what you ask of Harry Dickhead - he will play games with you otherwise.

Mom
26th May 2008, 17:36
Well done Mom. I had heard that AA were not 100% behind Transit on the question of WRBs. Are they saying different now?
Be very careful and precise as to what you ask of Harry Dickhead - he will play games with you otherwise.

The AA have actively pressured Transit about wire rope barriers, their big concern is the inability of them to stop heavy trucks and buses from crossing them, of course it is acknowledged they are not safe at all for bikers. BUT... they are all about road safety and these WRB's are preventing head on accidents. So therefore, they are better than nothing. Fair call I guess.

I will keep plugging away, I have sent my press release out to several more people today, and heads them up to the www.cheesecutter.co.nz website and our petition. Some of them did not even know there was a petition circulating! They do now :blip: Big mail out planned in the morning.

As far as my question goes, my advice is to ask it in two ways, directly myself (cos I can) and via my MP Lockwood Smith. It is hoped we both get the same answer!

Mom
26th May 2008, 17:44
I rang our local radio station today. Clint Brown is our morning show DJ and he does a weekly segment with Ken Ring www.predictweather.co.nz.

I wanted to ask if he would get a forward weather prediction for June 28th in the areas our rides are covering. But no time for niceties, I am straight on the air to ask my question :o

So, long story short, it looks like rain threatening all over the country on the day, but on Wednesday the question will be answered in detail. Watch this space!

DEATH_INC.
27th May 2008, 18:58
BUT... they are all about road safety and these WRB's are preventing head on accidents. So therefore, they are better than nothing.
We've never argued this fact, but they are not better than other options that are out there....

DEATH_INC.
27th May 2008, 18:59
I rang our local radio station today. Clint Brown is our morning show DJ and he does a weekly segment with Ken Ring www.predictweather.co.nz.

I wanted to ask if he would get a forward weather prediction for June 28th in the areas our rides are covering. But no time for niceties, I am straight on the air to ask my question :o

So, long story short, it looks like rain threatening all over the country on the day, but on Wednesday the question will be answered in detail. Watch this space!
Bugger, the rain won't help turnout.....

Mom
27th May 2008, 22:34
Bugger, the rain won't help turnout.....

Or...bugger the rain?...LOL

We wont melt. Hopefully it wont be really crap weather, common sense will prevail when it boils down to it. I really want this to happen all over on the same day. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

chanceyy
27th May 2008, 22:39
Or...bugger the rain?...LOL

We wont melt. Hopefully it wont be really crap weather, common sense will prevail when it boils down to it. I really want this to happen all over on the same day. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

A bit of rain will not melt anyone .. & yeah it will put the fair weather riders off but the hard core riders will still attend ..

we will be going ahead regardless in palmy esp with all the planning going ahead

Mom
28th May 2008, 07:07
A bit of rain will not melt anyone .. & yeah it will put the fair weather riders off but the hard core riders will still attend ..

we will be going ahead regardless in palmy esp with all the planning going ahead

You guys are doing an amazing job down there for sure!

Quasievil
28th May 2008, 07:47
Good Stuff MOM, I got it on the front page of Sportsbike.co.nz and am drumming up interest here in Hamilton via various means
looking forward to the day, hopefully this time round something more positive will be the outcome

Mom
28th May 2008, 08:13
Good Stuff MOM, I got it on the front page of Sportsbike.co.nz and am drumming up interest here in Hamilton via various means
looking forward to the day, hopefully this time round something more positive will be the outcome

That is great! I have a good feeling about this one. I am going to get a heap of colour flyers printed off today, do you know of any nice person that might like to go and plaster them around the place down there for me? Yungatart put a heap of them up in Taupo for me on Sunday. I have had a PM from xgnr this morning offering to take the petition to the Brass Monkey this weekend. I believe this will slowly gather momentum and turn out to be really awesome!

Mom
28th May 2008, 18:53
I am still in a state of shock.

I dont have a working colour printer so emailed the wonderful poster rashika did for our ride to a local copy centre. The woman there was on holiday last week, today was the day to go and get some copies made. She had printed the flyer off, one copy mind, the charge? $7.50! I kid you not! $5 to "download" the email and $2.50 for one copy of the flyer!

Mind you if I do 50 copies as I planned to do I get a 20% discount making them $2 each. Now I am passionate about this and have no problem spending a bit of money but this is beyond my pocket at the moment. Does anyone have access to some colour copying that will not cost me an arm and 2 legs?

Holy Roller
28th May 2008, 21:33
Pm sent
Hope that this helps

hayd3n
28th May 2008, 21:53
anything happening in dunedin for this?

Maha
28th May 2008, 22:04

I have tried, through pm's and even quoted someone on the Dunedin ride thread about it, got overlooked....I put up a thread especially for the Southern people...once again...nothing.
They know about it..would be a shame if the southern KBers were left out in the cold come June 28th, every other region has got into it, so here's ya chance hayd3n....:niceone:
Any help requierd.......we are all here for ya mate.

Here is that thread...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73060

Mom
29th May 2008, 07:05
Pm sent
Hope that this helps

You are wonderful! I have also had a phone call tonight offering help, so between us the flyers will be done! Now all I need is for some kind folk around the place to help me get them up!

Mom
29th May 2008, 08:52

I have heaps of spare resources I can send to you if you would like to get something happening down there mate. Does not have to be huge, just a few bikes out with red arm bands. If you contact your local rescue helicopter trust they will be delighted to help you. Your local bike shop will be supportive I am sure.

I can tell you without exception we have had nothing but support from people while organising our ride, and I am certain that the other organisers can give you the same feed back.

Happy to help you in anyway I can.

Mrs Busa Pete
30th May 2008, 08:43
OK folks i have the flyer's ready to be put out there so can we please have some volunteers to get them out. Hamilton,Tauranga we need them out in all the area's that we are going so if you could pm your address to me i will post them out to you. Thank you thank you thank you

roy.nz
2nd June 2008, 22:31
Man i was so looking forward to do this but i cant anymore, took a bit of a spill and four broken bones late plus a written off bike means no attendace.Might try follow in the CAR (how sad).

Mom
3rd June 2008, 07:29
Man i was so looking forward to do this but i cant anymore, took a bit of a spill and four broken bones late plus a written off bike means no attendace.Might try follow in the CAR (how sad).

That is no good mate! Hope the recovery goes well. I have a bit of an idea though of how you can take part, the car will be too slow to make the whole trip if you get stuck behind traffic you cant slip ahead as easily as if you are on a bike. PM in the making.

hayd3n
3rd June 2008, 07:38
I have heaps of spare resources I can send to you if you would like to get something happening down there mate. Does not have to be huge, just a few bikes out with red arm bands. If you contact your local rescue helicopter trust they will be delighted to help you. Your local bike shop will be supportive I am sure.

I can tell you without exception we have had nothing but support from people while organising our ride, and I am certain that the other organisers can give you the same feed back.

Happy to help you in anyway I can. ok i will chat to some new friends and get bak to you asap

Mom
3rd June 2008, 08:03
ok i will chat to some new friends and get bak to you asap

Thank you. I have sent you a PM.

Griffin
4th June 2008, 21:38
Have I missed something or has Wellington been overlooked for this ride?

BiK3RChiK
4th June 2008, 21:46
OK folks i have the flyer's ready to be put out there so can we please have some volunteers to get them out. Hamilton,Tauranga we need them out in all the area's that we are going so if you could pm your address to me i will post them out to you. Thank you thank you thank you

I know we are a little off the path you guys are taking, but I am hoping I can hook up in Tauranga and go through to Rotorua. I was also wondering if putting a flyer up at our local bike shops would be on the cards. It would advertise the ride to those who may be interested in supporting it but are a little further afield.

M

Mom
5th June 2008, 07:06
Have I missed something or has Wellington been overlooked for this ride?

Nothing has been planned in Wellington at all. There is a hope that someone would organise something, either a stand alone ride, or maybe a gathering and ride up to meet up with the other ride in Palmy. It would be wonderful if you guys could get something happening. The nationwide aspect of this is what will make it a big sucess. You never know, if we get it right we maybe able to make it an annual event!

I know we are a little off the path you guys are taking, but I am hoping I can hook up in Tauranga and go through to Rotorua. I was also wondering if putting a flyer up at our local bike shops would be on the cards. It would advertise the ride to those who may be interested in supporting it but are a little further afield.
M

That would be so cool! PM me your address I will flick you down some flyers.

Griffin
5th June 2008, 08:52
I am only new to the site and dont really know any other KB'rs or bikers, but I will make some inquiries with the local bike shops and see if I can stir some motivation to get Wgtn in on the game. Is there any info you can send me that would help???

Mom
5th June 2008, 08:54
I am only new to the site and dont really know any other KB'rs or bikers, but I will make some inquiries with the local bike shops and see if I can stir some motivation to get Wgtn in on the game. Is there any info you can send me that would help???

I have all sorts of stuff here mate. Pm me with your address and a contact phone number. You will be surprised at just how simple it will be and how much support you will get. Hear from you soon!

BiK3RChiK
5th June 2008, 09:17
That would be so cool! PM me your address I will flick you down some flyers.

PM sent to Busa-Pete.

I was in one of the local bike shops yesterday and asked if it would be ok to put a flyer up and they said, 'yeah, no worries' so I'll do what I can, even though the ride isn't coming through here...

Actually, I'm wondering how I can involve the local media, too...Hmmm, PM on it's way...

Mrs Busa Pete
5th June 2008, 17:10
PM sent to Busa-Pete.

I was in one of the local bike shops yesterday and asked if it would be ok to put a flyer up and they said, 'yeah, no worries' so I'll do what I can, even though the ride isn't coming through here...

Actually, I'm wondering how I can involve the local media, too...Hmmm, PM on it's way...

Have posted flyers today and i have also added some of the petions as well in case you can get some signitures. Good luck.

Ozzie
5th June 2008, 20:06
Hey, sorry to sound (or be) a bit thick,,,,,but,,,,,the Auckland ride is leaving Botany at 9, then tripping around the country side, getting back to Auckland at 5:30, is that right?

If yes, what path are you taking from Botany? Te Irrangi to the Southern, then south from there? What time you actually leaving Botany? Any chance I can tag on from Paps as you go past? Or better still, there is moto xtreme on Great South road, on the Takanini straight if you wanna do a quick stop off there, absolutely shite loads of cars through there on a Saturday morning.

btw...I did up some signs for the November one, I think Cola Pop has them if they are wanted.

Mom
5th June 2008, 21:08
Hey, sorry to sound (or be) a bit thick,,,,,but,,,,,the Auckland ride is leaving Botany at 9, then tripping around the country side, getting back to Auckland at 5:30, is that right?

If yes, what path are you taking from Botany? Te Irrangi to the Southern, then south from there? What time you actually leaving Botany? Any chance I can tag on from Paps as you go past? Or better still, there is moto xtreme on Great South road, on the Takanini straight if you wanna do a quick stop off there, absolutely shite loads of cars through there on a Saturday morning.

btw...I did up some signs for the November one, I think Cola Pop has them if they are wanted.

No, not thick at all!! Yes Botany at 9am, leaving 9:30am. And yes, we will be heading south past Papakura. Due to the time constraints of this ride, the distance we have to travel at legal speeds and the fact we have only allowed for half hour stops at the shops along the way, the core bunch of riders will be focussed on the important things when we stop. Going to the toilet, maybe eating and drinking something, gathering donations and collecting signatures for the CC petition.

What would be really amazing is if others got involved, organised a mini ride in their area and met us along the way. Drum up some support for the cause and get a bunch of people to meet us at the stop points. We cant be responsible for a big group ride, given the nature of our ride, but if others want to make part of the trip with us that will be fine.

We realise that we have a very early start in Auckland (bear in mind we have another hour of travelling before we even get to the start point) and a late finish time, so it may be that some will prefer to meet us at Botany, then go and spread the word, maybe meet us in Hamilton (Boyd Motorcycles) on our way home?

Mrs Busa Pete
11th June 2008, 07:41
Come on guy's there must be someone out there can put flyer out in local dairys, cafe's,, pubs anywhere that is going to get some exsposer.

Quasievil
19th June 2008, 08:03
Why has the KB homepage got this thread second down (in News) this should be at the top.............like on sportsbike.co.nz !!!

how we going to get numbers otherwise ??

Mom
19th June 2008, 08:40
Why has the KB homepage got this thread second down (in News) this should be at the top.............like on sportsbike.co.nz !!!

how we going to get numbers otherwise ??

Have you seen the article in Motorcycle Trader and News that has just gone on sale? Page 10. That is National press. I might PM Mental Trousers again and ask if it can be bumped up the home page.

Quasievil
19th June 2008, 11:16
Have you seen the article in Motorcycle Trader and News that has just gone on sale? Page 10. That is National press. I might PM Mental Trousers again and ask if it can be bumped up the home page.

yeah saw it, good one !
can you email me the flyer so I can get them on the shops on Saturday
cheers

Mom
19th June 2008, 12:38
yeah saw it, good one !
can you email me the flyer so I can get them on the shops on Saturday
cheers

Done, but we have plenty of copies I can post you down some to save money if you prefer.

Maha
22nd June 2008, 19:35
Hiya, just a query, will the Money collected in Hamilton go to the Waikato Westpac rescue helicopter or will it go to the Auckland one (we got our own ya see)
Not wanting to cause any issue or long winded thread topic, just wanting to know as I think its appropriate that if we ask for Money from Waikato people it goes to the waikato service.

just a query

I can answer that Quasi....The money will go to the Auckland Base, that was/is the whole idea behind this ride (raising money for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter)
I have been over this so many times but here it is again...
If you Quasi, or lets say Colapop was up this way and, god forbid, need a Rescue Helicopter? It would be the Auckland base that attends right?
A motorcyclist could be anywhere (thats what we do) there is no bias here, its what I wanted from the ouset. There has been plenty of time for someone in the Waikato area to get something underway and cut us out of it, but it hasn't happened. If in the future, there was a fund raiser for another area/region, myself and shit loads of others would there to support.

Maha
22nd June 2008, 20:47
It should therefore be called the "Auckland Westpac Rescue helicopter fundrasier"

Never my intention to mislead anyone.

#1....Has anyone from Sportsbike.co.nz put their hand up to get something going in Hamilton? ... (and I wont buy the argument '' no cos they think its for the Waikato) it says in the first post 'Return to Auckland to hand over collections'.....not hard to read anything else into that. No Kiwibiker from Hamilton has stepped forward, im guessing most know whats going on.

There is no #2

slimjim
23rd June 2008, 09:25
so what's the fuss about a barrier that stop's vehicles crossing over onto the path of oncoming traffic, my wife an i ride to wellington and we as well travell to auckland , and what the truth, it aren'e scary at all, safe speed safe roadway, safe barrier yup well aware of what happened to the motorcyclist that lost his life,and yes aware of how he was in (pieces) too, however well aware that his front part of bike collapsed , that lead towards his death, however i would have been more outraged if the barrier didn't stop the vehicle,(motorcycle) and it plowed into a family car coming the otherway , but this is my thought, and yes my wife doesn't like the need for them, however that's our road's put a netting fence up either side of a road no prob, put one up in the centre humm

Nordy
23rd June 2008, 09:48
Saturday June 28th

A series of rides have been organised around New Zealand for the dual purpose of raising funds for local Rescue Helicopter Services and to bring the Cheese Cutter issue back into the public eye.

Please look at the threads below and make the effort to support this event!

PLEASE WEAR A RED ARM BAND

In Auckland (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72686)

In Auckland 9am - Botany Honda
In Tauranga 11:30am - Bayride Motorcycles
In Rotorua 1:00pm - Bike Force
In Hamilton 3:00pm - Boyd Motorcycles
In Auckland 5:30pm - Mechanics Bay - if you are intending to meet the ride back in Auckland can you please look here and register your attendance (OSH requirement for Helicopter base) http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=74627

it also clearly shows Auckland and which regions are going to the auckland base. In the same post you quoted.

Why is this such a big deal, if you want something to support the waikato base cool, orgainise something? You seem to have the contacts to make it work. I dont see why something to support such a good cause has to be dragged through the mud?

This is my opinion as a newbie to the site.:innocent:

MSTRS
23rd June 2008, 11:33
so what's the fuss about a barrier that stop's vehicles crossing over onto the path of oncoming traffic, ....

This thread and it's mates around the country is more about the rescue chopper appeal.
However, since you raise it, the issue with cheesecutters is all about how they don't stop all vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic, how they are inherently dangerous to motorcyclists and lowslung cars, how they are touted as a 'safety barrier' when they are demonstrably anything but safe, how they are a cheap effective solution when it is certain they are not cheap when considered over time, how they are installed (at least here in NZ) outside manufacturers guidelines, and the increasing use of them as roadside barriers either alone or with them down the centre as well.
I appreciate that not everyone thinks they are a bad thing, and you are entitled to your opinion, but, like I've said in one of the cheesecutter threads, an opinion is not fact.

Nasty
23rd June 2008, 19:23
http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustandard/4593586a6502.html

way to go Sandra ... great promo!!!

Mom
23rd June 2008, 19:28
This is so good to see! Bring on the weekend!

Mom
26th June 2008, 17:50
Over the past two days I have been talking to Mathew Dearnaley from the NZ Herald about our rides this weekend. He originally reported on the protests last year.

He is putting an article in the Herald tomorrow. He was full of questions, I only hope that he is kind to me and I dont come off looking like a dick...LOL.

He was particularly interested in the statement that was read out at the Auckland protest ride last year from Annette King, Harry Dynhoven and Judith Tizard and has asked the question what has he done about it to Harry Dynhovens press secretary today. He has also asked Transit what they have done to investigate the safety of road barriers as they promised to do after Daniel was killed last year!

I tried really hard to ensure that he heard that this was a positive ride aimed to the fundraising for our helicopters, with the added benefit of raising awareness of the CC issue.

Mom
27th June 2008, 06:32
Here is a link to the herald article this morning.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10518605

DEATH_INC.
27th June 2008, 06:42
http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustandard/4593586a6502.html

way to go Sandra ... great promo!!!

'The riders will meet with Square Trust Rescue Helicopter staff in Palmerston North after the race'
Race???? :chase:

Nasty
27th June 2008, 06:54
'The riders will meet with Square Trust Rescue Helicopter staff in Palmerston North after the race'
Race???? :chase:

Yeah they know ... it's amazing that it did not say ride ... oh well race you there? ;)

Quasievil
27th June 2008, 07:37
Over the past two days I have been talking to Mathew Dearnaley from the NZ Herald about our rides this weekend. He originally reported on the protests last year.

He is putting an article in the Herald tomorrow. He was full of questions, I only hope that he is kind to me and I dont come off looking like a dick...LOL.

He was particularly interested in the statement that was read out at the Auckland protest ride last year from Annette King, Harry Dynhoven and Judith Tizard and has asked the question what has he done about it to Harry Dynhovens press secretary today. He has also asked Transit what they have done to investigate the safety of road barriers as they promised to do after Daniel was killed last year!

I tried really hard to ensure that he heard that this was a positive ride aimed to the fundraising for our helicopters, with the added benefit of raising awareness of the CC issue.

Great work Mom, Daniels father ,Welsh Wizard must be really pleased to see the momentum gather on this, his being such a big part in this will certainly help the cause.

MadDuck
27th June 2008, 10:01
Here is a link to the herald article this morning.

Awesome stuff Mom. I have have had a couple of non motorcyclists comment on the article :niceone::niceone:

Ummm what you seasoned with though?

Luckylegs
27th June 2008, 10:08
...Ummm what you seasoned with though?

ToMahato sauce ???

unrealone
27th June 2008, 10:17
Everytime Transit opens their mouth they make me laugh.

Mom
27th June 2008, 11:04
I have just been interviewed by Radio NZ!

Ozzie
29th June 2008, 12:07
So how did it go?

Yesterday, plus heard it on ZM all day.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=139836 (http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=139836)

Today's coverage...

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1879415

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=139890

GTR1000
29th June 2008, 20:33
Link to file: http://download.yousendit.com/6CF8481467249E3A
This URL above has 5 photos from Mechanics Bay finish. About 37 mb total so dive off to work and wear out their broadband ! Low res emails of rest sent to
kiwi.biker@gmail.com Tried to reply your direct message--it says I'm a newbie--no permission! Photos at URL for 7 days--I think about 100 downloads on this free vs--make sure Dave(Chief Pilot) gets his--he asked first !

Mom
30th June 2008, 07:25
Although it seems I have changed my name over the weekend, here is the most recent herald article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10519078

yungatart
30th June 2008, 08:09
I gotta hand it to you, Anne. You have done a fantastic job on the publicity!
Great article!

slimjim
30th June 2008, 10:08
well we had an outcry in the earlier year's ......... Against brab wire been wrapped around wire farm fence's on the side of the road's....... told ,was to retain animal's ......humm and the farmer's went higher ........cause of deer........farming, yup know too full well , now i ride to safe alive,... to enjoy...... there's alot more sadder thing's to NZ than a barrier.

mattathm
6th July 2008, 15:11
I see there seams to be a lack of organised rides in wellington? why is that?

Mom
6th July 2008, 16:05
I see there seams to be a lack of organised rides in wellington? why is that?

These rides took place last weekend. Wellington did a huge protest ride last year at the start of the cheesecutter campaign. I know people from Wellington supported the Manawatu ride by riding north to meet them. I dont actually know why nothing got organised specifically down there, there was some talk and then nothing got underway. It is impossible for us to organise a ride in Wellington from where we llive. Next time perhaps you would like to put your hand up and get something happening...LOL