PDA

View Full Version : Filling up tips

Disco Dan
15th May 2008, 15:14
Got this emailed today:

Tips on Filling your Vehicles...

This is a Message received from a friend:

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here
in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre.
But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now,
so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth
for every litre.

Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we
deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the
pipeline.

One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP
and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total
capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE
EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS
STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground,
the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so
buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not
exactly a litre.

In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the
temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and
other petroleum products play an important role. A
1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.
But the service stations do not have temperature
compensation at the pumps.

Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 1 of 2
WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE
TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look,
you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,
Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 2 of 2
middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on
low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are
created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump
have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate,
some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour.
Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the
underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for
your money.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP
WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is,
the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying
its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can
imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating
roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol
and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that
we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is
actually the exact amount.

ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK
PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP
TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is
being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you
might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the
bottom.

Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your
money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET’S SHARE
INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF
MANKIND.

martybabe
15th May 2008, 15:26
I don't know about the benefit of mankind but an interesting read,thanx. :apint:

The Pastor
15th May 2008, 15:36
not sure if its hoax or not.

either way its not going to change my filling up times.

vindy500
15th May 2008, 15:57
i wonder if its something like u can get 0.0001% more fuel! almost as useful as those 4cent off things, hmm

McDuck
15th May 2008, 16:36
The temperature thing dosnt apply here, there is not a big enough swing, i equally dont know about the vaper return thing but the half full thing is definitely real. Coupling that with driving a km out of my way to fill when it is half full...

vifferman
15th May 2008, 17:06
Firstly, although Kalifornian pumps have a vapour return, I doubt that ones here do.
The thing about ground temperature is kinda true. When I were a lad, there was a service station in downtown Rotorua which was a crap place to get petroleum from, due to underground thermal activity. They bought x litres of fuel, put it in there tanks, where it miraculously turned into "x plus a bit". Once into car's tanks, it probably turned into "x minus a bit".
Or that was the story.
Maybe the warmed over fuel just disappeared out the tank breathers...

A few metres of earth is pretty good insulation, and as nowhere here (apart from mebbe Chch) has continental-type climates, I doubt whether there's significant variation in temperature in underground tanks during the day.
Why else do 'they' use cellars for storing stuff? Stable temperatures, innit?
Except when there's hot springs bubbling away down below, or :devil2: in the cellars...

hang0ver
15th May 2008, 17:09
If ya pullin' ya throttle nice and hard like ya should, this is probably not gonna help much...

Choco
15th May 2008, 17:12
I've heard the 'fill up when its cold' thing, but when you have a 10L fuel tank it doesn't make a HUGE difference. :whocares:

Boob Johnson
15th May 2008, 17:20
i wonder if its something like u can get 0.0001% more fuel!Exactly!

I call BULLSHIT! The added weight of the second half of the tank would surely counteract any fuel saving from vapors lol

And if im wrong and this is all true then ill be sure to invest the extra $0.50 per annum I saved :rolleyes:

martybabe
15th May 2008, 17:29
Exactly!

I call BULLSHIT! The added weight of the second half of the tank would surely counteract any fuel saving from vapors lol

And if im wrong and this is all true then ill be sure to invest the extra $0.50 per annum I saved :rolleyes:

Ah ,what to invest your fuel cost savings in, might have enough saved for a 10c lolly after a couple o months.Oh no wait the petrol just went up again, there it goes. :no:

Boob Johnson
15th May 2008, 17:35
Ah ,what to invest your fuel cost savings in, might have enough saved for a 10c lolly after a couple o months.Oh no wait the petrol just went up again, there it goes. :no:
lol exactly, all this time, effort & energy (no pun intended...honest :whistle:) to save such a pathetically minuscule amount is laughable. You would be better off spending time investigating how to get off petroleum altogether.

Disco Dan
15th May 2008, 17:37
It has prob made a few people very pedantic at gas stations, and a few others feeling not so bad about the fuel prices.

i think that was the point - does not really matter if it works/hoax, the idea appears to be too improve morale !

notme
15th May 2008, 17:46
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

"The bottom line is that there are much easier and better ways of improving the efficiency of your car (and thus of saving you money at the pump) than the tips outlined above."

Badjelly
15th May 2008, 18:00
This document at this link

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/super/physics_tut/volume1/ti01sol.doc
says the fractional thermal expansion coefficient for petrol is 0.95x10-3 C-1.

In ordinary language, that means petrol expands 0.095% for every 1 C rise in temperature, so 0.95% (near enough 1%) for 10 C. Almost enough to get worried about, I suppose, if you're the sort of person who worries about that sort of thing, which I'm not.

Steam
15th May 2008, 18:01
Firstly, although Kalifornian pumps have a vapour return, I doubt that ones here do.

All NZ pumps have it, that's the little tube at the end of the nozzle, it also works to cut off the fuel flow when it stops sucking vapour and starts sucking petrol.

Biggles2000
15th May 2008, 18:06
Don't bother all the new petrol dispencers here are temperature compensated and have been for ages. There might be a few very old standard ones left out there somewhere but I've not seen one in a long time. I do not believe they can get NZ TMU certs without auto temp compensation.

The dispencers themselves have fine filters in the meters now days as they are very accurate instruments and are greatly stuffed up if dirt goes through them.

In NZ we do not have any vapour recovery systems either at the pumps or on the tankers.

Boob Johnson
15th May 2008, 18:13
I think that was the point - does not really matter if it works/hoax, the idea appears to be too improve morale !
Improve? Call me pessimistic but all that does is focus my attention on how badly we are getting screwed :weep:

Disco Dan
15th May 2008, 18:15
All NZ pumps have it, that's the little tube at the end of the nozzle, it also works to cut off the fuel flow when it stops sucking vapour and starts sucking petrol.

Don't bother all the new petrol dispencers here are temperature compensated and have been for ages. There might be a few very old standard ones left out there somewhere but I've not seen one in a long time. I do not believe they can get NZ TMU certs without auto temp compensation.

The dispencers themselves have fine filters in the meters now days as they are very accurate instruments and are greatly stuffed up if dirt goes through them.

In NZ we do not have any vapour recovery systems either at the pumps or on the tankers.

interesting...

Kirill357
15th May 2008, 18:48
Still think that 'A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS - DO NOT FILL UP' bit has some sense in it

fridayflash
15th May 2008, 19:01
worht a shot anyways i guess,many a good days ride begins with an early morning fillup!:done::done:

rainman
15th May 2008, 19:02
I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here
in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre.

Bullshit. Petrol prices in SA are around R8 to R10 (http://www.shell.com/home/za-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/app_petrolprice.html). So pretty close to what we have here.

47.35 in what currency?

Edbear
16th May 2008, 10:42
Nothing compares to being as light as possible, moderating your throttle usage, (the single most important factor), having your engine tuned and having tyres at correct pressures. Everything else is splitting hairs and one single twist of the wrist will undo all your other efforts put together.

Note my sig...:rolleyes:

Murray
16th May 2008, 11:44
Another easy way to save is to buy at Gull stations. Simple, let the big wigs suffer

90s
16th May 2008, 15:23
All these tips were examined in the New Scientist a while back as this is an old document. All the factors were found to be technically true, but individually and culmatively to have no appreciable benefits.

You could practice all of these and over a year as an average driver you would notice a few dollars difference at most. If the overall effect could be even small logistics fleets would be all over this.

Burger
16th May 2008, 15:26
Those tanks are buried so deep underground that they would barely change in temperature during day/night.

Even if all of the things were true, you might save $0.07 per $20 at the station. It would be better just to ease off the throttle here and there.

Tank
16th May 2008, 16:07
What surprises me is the amount of effort people put into saving .50c in petrol - then they go in and buy overpriced coffee / pies / chips / chocolate etc etc.

When it comes to petrol - I dont even bother - if I need some I fill up. The only time I go out of my way is when I know the hottie is working behind the counter (Wed evenings) - its an extra 4 blocks but shes worth it!

sinned
17th May 2008, 16:39
What surprises me is the amount of effort people put into saving .50c in petrol - then they go in and buy overpriced coffee / pies / chips / chocolate etc etc.

When it comes to petrol - I dont even bother - if I need some I fill up. The only time I go out of my way is when I know the hottie is working behind the counter (Wed evenings) - its an extra 4 blocks but shes worth it!

The special trip to fill up would be the biggest waste of petrol there is. And a ride to view the hottie is never a wasted trip.

cruza
17th May 2008, 17:10

:niceone: See it every morning, mad rush around 7 -730 people getting their daily coffee and maybe some gas. If some people added up what they waste on convenence food/coffee each year petrol $ wouldn't seem so bad. I just head back to the depo with my packed lunch and drink the companies coffee .

awayatc
17th May 2008, 17:32
I always turn my Hummer off when I fill up.....

_intense_
17th May 2008, 17:42
cheers for the words, guess we better make the most of it, now, where the keys to my shiney new electric bike?