PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: RC8 unveiling

jimbo600
16th May 2008, 16:09
Popped into TSS today and rumour has it that there's a RC8 out back. Unveiling on Sat 24th May apparently.

Man I'm going to be there. See all you good folks there too aye. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Str8 Jacket
16th May 2008, 16:11
Popped into TSS today and rumour has it that there's a RC8 out back. Unveiling on Sat 24th May apparently.

Man I'm going to be there. See all you good folks there too aye. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Typical. All the cool kids will be on their way to Taupo.......

Might have to stop in on the way seeing as they are literally round the corner from my place :niceone:

Freakshow
16th May 2008, 16:35
Whats a RC8???

Str8 Jacket
16th May 2008, 16:39
.......... :drool:

Freakshow
16th May 2008, 16:44
.......... :drool:

Ahhh NICE:cool:

avgas
16th May 2008, 16:44
no bitch seat on them though.

Str8 Jacket
16th May 2008, 16:45

That's part of the charm, aint it?!

idleidolidyll
16th May 2008, 18:57
Yep,

it'll be a cool bike if you like the angles.

Trouble is KTM is a bit like Suzuki: they'll discount the fuck out of them when the next shipment arrives, just as you're ready to trade in on a new one, and your old one will be worth fuck all.

It's happened to me twice now with KTM and as much as I like the bike, I'm fuckin fed up with the importer.

Don't buy KTM, compared to the used value, they're hideously overpriced!

Trudes
16th May 2008, 19:18
It had better ride real nice 'cause EWWWWW!!

HornetBoy
16th May 2008, 20:02
Well ill be showing up,along with my big ole kat :cool:

banditrider
16th May 2008, 20:44
There's 2 in at AFC at the mo - had a we perve at them in the workshop. Look absolutely awesome! Wicked design - all angles no matter where you look.

henry
16th May 2008, 20:57

Time??????

Cr1MiNaL
16th May 2008, 21:00
I saw an RC8 at about 5.15 pm just off the Port exit near the city... Its so much different in real life and man it looked mean as! Whose was it?

Grub
16th May 2008, 21:38
Wicked design - all angles no matter where you look.

If it's anything like the Duke, especially where your legs go across the edge of the seat. There's a nice really cool sharp edge (you can see it in the pic). It's there to dig into the inside of your thighs and cut off your circulation - very hand if you get cold toes, you won't be able to feel them.

jimbo600
16th May 2008, 22:26
Time??????

Got no idea. Have to get hole of TSS for that one.

White trash
17th May 2008, 09:16
Well done KTM for taking some of the ugly attention off the new CBR. They seem to be kicking arse in Superstock racing too........

slydesigns
17th May 2008, 19:58
Some of the guys I was riding with today have seen the AFC one and claim its way better looking in the flesh than in the pics. But $31000... ouch, thats a very tricked out Blade, R1, GXSR or dear I say it, that other bike thats always buried mid field in WSBK... the Ninja for that kind of money.

And as to its performance in Superstock... it was a no show at Monza with a tech issue and there have been others. To be expected of a new design of course, but I'd say give it time to be tweaked and refined.

KTM were the first in MX to race with Linkage-less rear suspension and its sucked balls for the first couple of seasons. No one knew how to dial it in. Ended up a decent setup once it was developed.

RC1
17th May 2008, 20:29
wonder if its on DMNTDS list ?

DMNTD
18th May 2008, 08:29
wonder if its on DMNTDS list ?

Mate if I didn't work where I do I'd have one parked in my garage now which was intended anyway. Oh well...will have to put up with the 1098S for now.

Have had a good looksee at the RC8...poooooooorn!

Owl
18th May 2008, 08:37
Mate if I didn't work where I do I'd have one parked in my garage now which was intended anyway. Oh well...will have to put up with the 1098S for now.

Have had a good looksee at the RC8...poooooooorn!

Put up with the 1098S???? Bling for amusement value!:niceone:

koba
18th May 2008, 09:55
Don't buy KTM, compared to the used value, they're hideously overpriced!

Or buy don't buy a new KTM....

mattathm
18th May 2008, 10:18
Saturday 24th June
6pm start the email said, and the bike arrives at 7.

(bike already there, i sat on it, heheheheeee)
Looks cool

most launch's when it comes to cars etc have press, redcarpet
vidoes, big screens, hot chicks ,food and drink

I have a feeling this wont be one of those.......

Dazza
20th May 2008, 15:33

Been there, ridden that (well AMPS one yesterday) she's all good for test rides next week. Farkin nice :niceone:

MD
23rd May 2008, 15:05
Beautiful !!! in an odd way. :Punk: I popped into AFC, Palmerston Nth today for a squiz.

Eyecatching it is. Not sure if I liked the mix of high gloss metallic orange panels with dull matt finish panels.

The details are clever. How easy it is to adjust pegs, seat, remove mirros and plate holder. All cunningly planned with quick plug in electrics out of sight.

It must be the best looking rear end around now. That whole seat to tail light section just curves and flows soooo well you can't help but stare.

Comfy to sit on. Lots of orange..if you are in to orange.

Dodger
23rd May 2008, 15:29

It has rear pegs...

MD
23rd May 2008, 17:29
It has rear pegs...

Brilliantly easy to remove rear pegs at that.
As you admire the simple but practical little touches in the engineering, you have to think..an actual person who rides bikes designed this bike! Wow. What a novel idea.

Dazza
26th May 2008, 08:52
Brilliantly easy to remove rear pegs at that.
As you admire the simple but practical little touches in the engineering, you have to think..an actual person who rides bikes designed this bike! Wow. What a novel idea.Your dead right there with that statement :clap:

idleidolidyll
26th May 2008, 18:24
I was in Wellington this weekend past but I didn't go see the unveiling.
I'm over KTM now. The current importer seems to have the same attitude to its buyers as Suzuki and is unconcerned that cutting prices massively means 2 things:

They don't give a rats arse about our resale values

They charged far too much the first time around.

Buy your RC8 new in NZ and you can expect to lose about half its value by 15-18,000km. You're way better off buying a Ducati.

jimbo600
26th May 2008, 18:36
I'm over KTM now. The current importer seems to have the same attitude to its buyers as Suzuki and is unconcerned that cutting prices massively means 2 things:

Buy your RC8 new in NZ and you can expect to lose about half its value by 15-18,000km. You're way better off buying a Ducati.

Eh? Superdukes have been around the 22,000 mark for years.

Tony & Carolyn
26th May 2008, 21:15
yeah will the new rc8 looks the bizo an I'd have one in my shed in a blink!!!! 30k + price tag is steep , but it is cutting edge style and quality your buying.
No 1098 for this lad, if it's a twin it'll be wearing KTM......

As for prices all the big players special off unsold stock before the next years model is released, thats life......

jimbo600
26th May 2008, 21:30
yeah will the new rc8 looks the bizo an I'd have one in my shed in a blink!!!! 30k + price tag is steep , but it is cutting edge style and quality your buying.
No 1098 for this lad, if it's a twin it'll be wearing KTM......

As for prices all the big players special off unsold stock before the next years model is released, thats life......

Do it. You owe it to yourself. You might even stay on this one.

Dazza
27th May 2008, 08:40

Gezze I hate you Mike, your so right damn it !!!:no: My Super Duke with 47000k's on the clock would be worth diddly squat as a trade right now, better to hang on to her & buy a second hand RC8 that some poor sucker trades it on the S or R in a couple of years. Saying that if I had lots of diposable income I'd have the new one in the shed in a flash !!

henry
27th May 2008, 10:16
I don't get this resale thing. If you're that worried don't buy a new bike.

I buy 'em, ride 'em, dump them in a land fill and move on. The joy I get from riding is priceless and more than makes up for the devaluation.

Dazza
27th May 2008, 10:28
I don't get this resale thing. If you're that worried don't buy a new bike.

I buy 'em, ride 'em, dump them in a land fill and move on. The joy I get from riding is priceless and more than makes up for the devaluation.
Yeah I know :yes:

nuts
1st June 2008, 16:14
When was the last time KTM discounted one of there road bike range??Ducati bikes are loseing shit loads due to the jap imports.

tri boy
1st June 2008, 16:37
I buy 'em, ride 'em, dump them in a land fill and move on.

So where is this landfill again?:blip:
I got access to a few shovels, and .........
Better still I'll say I stashed a Maori Taonga there, and let the whanau dig it up:sunny:

Fat Tony
7th June 2008, 23:32
Hey guys, I haven't posted for ages for one reason and another that I won't bore you with, but just got in touch with Deviant Esq to show him a few photos of the wheels I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Gallery here if you're interested:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/album.php?albumid=327

In a nutshell... THE most fun I've had on a bike... EVER. Absolutely bloody awesome now that the gearbox has nearly a 1000 miles on it (bit clunky up until about 500 but improving all the time - maybe it's down to the teeth dropping off, lol). Coming from a 750k6 I'd expected to lose some of the handling I'd enjoyed but nope... rides like its on rails... and turns in so easily.

Just got to finish paying for it now :doh:

Wiki Drifter
7th June 2008, 23:57
Saw one in mission bay today... oh dude :drool::drool::drool:

Bullitt
8th June 2008, 00:13
I hope it rides well cause god its ugly. Dont see any advantage in angles, for ergonomics, aerodynamics or asthetics

*ducks*

Fat Tony
8th June 2008, 01:41
I hope it rides well cause god its ugly. Dont see any advantage in angles, for ergonomics, aerodynamics or asthetics

*ducks*

Haha, don't duck on my account mate... it's one of those bikes... people either love or hate it, and I don't think that will be restricted to the looks either. The performance is very different to all the other sportsbikes I've owned or ridden, and it took 2 long test rides before I talked myself in to making the change from a silky smooth GSXR750 to a very raw feeling RC8.

Regrets? Not a single one. I bought it to please me, nobody else :yes:

MD
8th June 2008, 10:23
Regrets? Not a single one. I bought it to please me, nobody else :yes:

And that's the only reason that counts. Well done Man.

I think the tail end is one of the best looking around.
Sat on one. Damn comfy and would make a good road, tourer and track bike all in one package! What's it like in the dirt?

Fat Tony
8th June 2008, 17:44
What's it like in the dirt?
You think I'm going to get it dirty? lol