PDA

View Full Version : GN 250 Clutch not shifting sometimes

crazyv
16th May 2008, 22:35
Hi All,

Was riding my 2006 GN 250 out today and noticed something when I stop. Scenario: So I roll to a stop and gear is sitting on 2nd (I may not have down shifted to 1st) So I engage the clutch and proceed to go down > neutral > to 1st -- EXCEPT! it will not go to 1st ! At this point I make sure the clutch is in (it does change to neutral without issues. Also at this point I can up shift to 2, but not down to 1st.

So after a bit of play on this I find that sometimes if I let the clutch go and pull it back in I am able to slide into 1st gear. But that does not always work either. So at times once I stop I have to spend sometime trying to figure how the bike can be put on 1st and get going!

Any idea on why this might be? The above is on flat ground too.

Oh I was practicing up hill starts and gosh that can be tough.
Is it correct when doing up hill start to be using the front brake? and ease the clutch out while revving?

Cheers.

awayatc
16th May 2008, 22:49
Get into the habit of downshifting as you slow down, not after you stopped...that will help. Gearboxes can have personalities, get to know yours. make sure you have enough engine oil, and also that your clutch cable is adjusted properly....
Hillstart I find easier with back brake, let clutch start to grab, rev bit more till you feel she wants to go, ease of foot of rearbrake....:scooter:

xwhatsit
16th May 2008, 22:55
Sequential gearboxes are often stubborn when the bike isn't moving. Even worse if the engine is switched off! But yes, trying to poke the gears around when you're stopped with the clutch in can be a little tricky. Try edging forward a little bit as you do it, often that's enough to let the gears mesh nicely.

Tumbles
1st June 2008, 13:55
Try edging forward a little bit as you do it, often that's enough to let the gears mesh nicely.

Exactly. If she doesn't change well when stationary, rolling forward a foot or two will usually sort it out.

Lucy
1st June 2008, 13:58
Mine does that too. I find if I let the clutch out a little until I feel a 'click' then it will shift down. You get used to it. And on hill starts I use the back brake so I can just worry about the throttle with my front hand.

crazyv
1st June 2008, 14:11
Yep thanks ... I have since found that rolling the bike forward or back sure does get the gear on to 1st. Now I try to make an effort to actually go down gears up to gear 1 when slowing down to a stop.

With hill starts, I try to use the back brake and then get going as its easier (than front brake). However, on a really steep hill start, just wondering if using the back brake might cause the front end to jump up (due to more throttle being used to get the bike going up the steep incline) ?

Squiggles
1st June 2008, 16:06
Should be ok using the back break on steep hills, just dont dump the clutch as you let off the brake

xwhatsit
1st June 2008, 16:13
With hill starts, I try to use the back brake and then get going as its easier (than front brake). However, on a really steep hill start, just wondering if using the back brake might cause the front end to jump up (due to more throttle being used to get the bike going up the steep incline) ?
When you say `cause the front end to jump up', do you mean do a wheelie? Usually GN250s aren't in too much danger of pulling a wheelie doing a hill start, or in any other situation, even when one is trying really hard :sweatdrop

You won't have to worry about tipping over backwards doing a hill start, unless you're climbing a mountain on an MX bike or summat. I too use the back brake in most standing start situations, hasn't got me into too much trouble yet, apart from on very steeply crowned roads (that's why I want a right-hand gearshift setup).

kiwi cowboy
7th June 2008, 23:07
Usually GN250s aren't in too much danger of pulling a wheelie doing a hill start, or in any other situation, even when one is trying really hard :sweatdrop

:laugh:you never saw my brother when he had his.
saw him with the bars round his ears dragin at lights but that was years ago not done now he grew up:devil2:

MaxCannon
8th June 2008, 21:25
I found blipping the throttle (just a tiny blip) on mine helped the Neutral to first shift when stopped.

CB ARGH
21st June 2008, 10:16
Take control of the bike! make it do what you want it to do!!! No... not 400km/h...

When you're at a stand still, just creep the bike forward a little bit, this allows it all to move a little... somehow.

Or you could always learn how to take off in second, I used to do that at the track days, minimise gear changing time always gets you a bit further in front!

And about the hill starting question. Did you read the motorcycle road code? It explains how to do them. Naughty boy... you didn't read it! Yes... use the front brake, and ease out the clutch, once it engages (you hear a drop in RPM's) release the front brake, and you're off. You'll need more revvs than usual on a hill of course, just don't do a wheelie like I do sometimes :p

crazyv
21st June 2008, 22:06
"motorcycle road code" didn't know there was such a thing

Well then, above would be helpful for my learners!

I have just been doing the online tests here (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/theory-test-questions/general-questions.html), thinking thats all that was required (?) :angry2: