PDA

View Full Version : First bike advice....

Mencius
24th December 2004, 19:12
Hi folks,

I am in the process of learning to ride at the moment and as such am considering buying my first bike.
So thus far I have my eye on a new Yamaha SR250 Classic ($3500 not including ORC), or a 1995 Yamaha SRV250 ($3500 but there should be no ORC).
So any opinion on what is better for the new rider?

And yes, fifty people will tell me I should buy a Suzuki GN250, but really I don't wanna!

Ang

FROSTY
24th December 2004, 19:31
Short version Ang.
I'd buy the SR for a first bike. -1 piston 2 valves -cheap to service,cheap to fix. Totally bulletproof motor.

jrandom
24th December 2004, 19:35
Buy the SRV250. Yokai has one, I've seen it (although not ridden it) and it's very nice. It'll satisfy your riding needs much better during your learner/restricted licence period than the SR250 will, I suspect.

Since it's 9 years old, of course, you'll have to make sure it gets a proper mechanical check, but I'd certainly be leaning toward the SRV. Is it an import, or NZ new? I assume it's being sold by a dealer.

I guess what it comes down to is... the SRV is a sexy little 250 that will get appreciative glances on the road. The SR looks like it should be used for learner licence tests and not much else. That stuff does make a difference.

jrandom
24th December 2004, 19:36
Oh yes, and since I just disagreed completely with Frosty, be advised that he knows a lot more than I do.

The SR still looks pants, though :p

Posh Tourer :P
24th December 2004, 19:52
The older one will hold value more for when you inevitably want to upgrade....

Riff Raff
24th December 2004, 21:06
What about my beautiful Honda Rebel? She's on the market very shortly

Mencius
24th December 2004, 21:11
Posh Tourer: exactly my thoughts about the older bike.

Jrandom: if I lean any further towards the SRV I'll fall over. It is a nice looking machine. The question is can I handle it........

XJ/FROSTY: exactly what I wanted to hear. It's the ORC that makes it a less attractive proposition, especially when you can get a new GN on the road for around $3300 but they make me feel :puke:

Ang, wishing she had enough $$$$ for the VTR....

ajturbo
24th December 2004, 22:42
na frig the licence and go out and buy a sv1000 :Punk:

RR's rebel would be the one .it is so clean , hardly been used........

James Deuce
24th December 2004, 22:53
Buy one with wheels.

The wheels on the bus go round and round
round and round
round and round.....

scumdog
25th December 2004, 01:37
Don't overlook a GN250 all the same, my workmate bought one a month ago and is still raving about it, great wee bike and as reliable as the dawn. :niceone:

jrandom
25th December 2004, 02:44
a nice looking machine. The question is can I handle it...

Sure you can. It's a total pussycat.

It's the ORC that makes it a less attractive proposition...

*I* bought an FXR150 new as a fust boike for the same reason (reliability) but... meh. You'll be very likely to get perfectly good motoring out of the SRV.

And it's *so* good-looking.

Ang, wishing she had enough $$$$ for the VTR....

New VTRs (and the consequent resale prices) are just too expensive for what you're getting, when you consider that you could have a brand new Bandit 600 for only a grand more, or a brand new SV1000 for two grand more, etc. Really not worth the price, and after taking Cyclespot's demo VTR for a blat, I still prefer my $2500 FZX.

Actually, if Colemans still have that blue FZX on the floor, and you can stretch your budget to $4000, it'd be worth looking at. It's an absolutely mint bike.

[Edit: Ah, you're in Palmy. Still, consider it. There'd be sure to be a KBer who'd ride a bike down from Auckland if you paid for an $86 (I just checked) plane ticket back up.]

Bonez
25th December 2004, 05:59
Gn250-new bike, 2 year warrenty, no probs selling-always plenty of shortass potentional bikers about. Underated ta boot. All n all good value. Good luck with whatever you choose.

wildfire1
25th December 2004, 06:40
Good luck with what ever you choose...the important thing is to just choose and get out there and do some riding (If this weather ever comes right :unsure: ). I guess i have to add my name to the long list of advocates for the GN250 - i had heard other people rave about them too and wondered what all the fuss was about - they are what people say - a great, simple reliable, fun, average bike - that is cheaper than it deserves to be :yeah:
Oh yeah - Riffs Rebel is kinda cute too :ride:

Mencius
25th December 2004, 08:14
Bonez/wildfire1/scumdog: I hear what you're saying about the GN, really I do, but it is a motorcycle that doesn't affect me in quite the same way as some others do. If it turns out that it is all I can afford then so be it, but I'd rather explore other options first.

jrandom: Yeah I can't say the FXR150 really does it for me. Just about as common as GN's too :-)
As for the VTR, that just takes any decision making requirements out of the equation :cool:

Riff Raff: Sorry, the Rebel just isn't my packet of biscuits at the moment.......

Ang

NC
25th December 2004, 10:01
Buy a tinted visor, so if you crash they don't see how red you are :whistle:

Coyote
26th December 2004, 14:14
Is a CBR or ZXR a bit out of your league?

jrandom
26th December 2004, 14:32
Is a CBR or ZXR a bit out of your league?

Praps Mencius just doesn't like the sprotbike look, and prefers to ride something naked or cafe-racer-ish.

Rock on, I say. Great big sheets of shiny plastic all over a bike are an expensive replacement job just waiting to happen...

Coyote
26th December 2004, 14:56
Praps Mencius just doesn't like the sprotbike look, and prefers to ride something naked or cafe-racer-ish.

Rock on, I say. Great big sheets of shiny plastic all over a bike are an expensive replacement job just waiting to happen...
I've taken off the left and right fairings till I get some nylon bungs to stop them from getting damaged. Its something like 3000 for an orig set isn't it?

I'm saving up for some fibreglass ones from just fairings. 600 for the whole front set

Mencius
26th December 2004, 20:42
alarumba: Mencius would like to live to see thirty-two :eek:

jrandom: Got in in one about the riding anyway. Just while we're on a learning curve, not having to replace lots of plastic if we have an off is a good thing!
And I'm a bit of a sucker for naked bikes..........nothing wrong with the sport bike look but what can I say....I like nudity :devil2:

Ang

laRIKin
27th December 2004, 09:05
I would also say a GN250/SR250 for your first bike.
Light, small and low and low tech and reliable and not to power full.
You will sell it easy and give you a good start in riding.

I'm not a fan 250cc 4 cylinder bikes, as they rev to the moon and cost
just as much a any other 4 cylinder bike to rebuild and as you rev them
they do need rebuilds sooner than a bigger motor so be careful if you buy one.

marty
27th December 2004, 09:14
most new (mid 90's on) 4 cyl 250s are pretty bomb proof - there's not much rebuilding going on really. if it's tidy and looks like it's been looked after, then it should last the distance of your L/R licence. one really can't go wrong with an across, cbr, zxr, gsx. my pick in your case would be the SRV - the SR is really only a GN... if the srv is the one at masterton motors, then it looks really tidy - almost GB500 esqe, but the v-twin would be the bomb. i'd be interested to see how it went compared to a VTR - i see masterton has one of each - have you ridden them back to back? if not, go and do it.

marty
27th December 2004, 09:17
i fanged a vtr250 for a friend without a licence. it dragged my 100kg lard arse over to raglan and back without really thinking about it. was happy being pushed, or just cruising. looks cool too - a *little* like a small naked duke i reckon. sounds cool too. a *little* like a small vtr i reckon :)

NC
27th December 2004, 09:19
How about and Aprillia RS250 Heh

marty
27th December 2004, 09:24
hmmmmm aprilia.......rs250........one like this you mean?

NC
27th December 2004, 09:29
hmmmmm aprilia.......rs250........one like this you mean?
Yes :not:

I'd take one in the :buggerd: for one of those

marty
27th December 2004, 10:44
i HAD one. does that count?

Mencius
27th December 2004, 19:16
Marty: it is the one in Masterton. May have to suggest to my test rider that he takes the VTR for a spin, just'cos he can :-)

Ang

jrandom
28th December 2004, 07:39
VTR250s are very nice, but my Zeal is nicer. :bleh:

MSTRS
28th December 2004, 08:22
If you are not an accomplished rider, just buy a cheap, tidy shitter, nothing too peaky, until you are out of the restricted time. Go unfaired too.

Coyote
2nd January 2005, 20:21
alarumba: Mencius would like to live to see thirty-two :eek:

I don't plan to live past 30 :eek:

Anyway, The CBR250 ain't that fast. I'm already a bit thirsty for more power. I'm gonna stick to the 250 rule, unlike my uncle in law. He decided he could ride anything even though he hadn't even ridin a bike so he buys himself a ZXR700 and doesn't put his L plate on. Bastard managed to get away with it, and didn't kill himself even though he was constantly falling off whilst wearing nothing but a T-shirt and jeans.

Hitcher
2nd January 2005, 20:34
VTR250s are very nice, but my Zeal is nicer.
Hey, what's with the burn-out photo? Was the Arrowmax on its last legs or summat? You could practice your Dr Rossi burnouts where you nonchalantly stand alongside your smoking steed, rather than astride it, waving to your adoring public at the same time...

Yokai
2nd January 2005, 22:01
So thus far I have my eye on a new Yamaha SR250 Classic ($3500 not including ORC), or a 1995 Yamaha SRV250 ($3500 but there should be no ORC).
So any opinion on what is better for the new rider?

And yes, fifty people will tell me I should buy a Suzuki GN250, but really I don't wanna!

Ang
Welcome Mencius,

I've only been riding 3 months and went through something similar to what you are going through... anyhooooo....

I ride a 1996 SRV250 - Never had a bike before. The bike is nice and forgiving - heavy enough to give a real feel to the bike, and light enough to push around. Its got the XVS engine in it so it's reasonable to maintain. The only downside is that it can be a wait for parts.

Over the SR250 it wins out because of the VTwin engine - which puts out a litle more grunt. But of course you pay with the clunky low end gear box. Having ridden a couple of others now, I have to say that I LOVE my bike. I would definitely go with the SRV ...

Check out the review I gave it in the New Bikes Review section....
*plink plink*

Mencius
2nd January 2005, 23:13
Yokai said: I would definitely go with the SRV ...

I did, bought it last Wednesday so your advice is a little late, but I am glad to hear you like it :2thumbsup Makes me feel much more confident that I've made the right decision.
I figured given my lowly position on the totem pole I'm not going to be able to afford anything else for at least a couple of years and I'd've gotten bored with the GN or SR I think. As did some of the people that know me.
And the SRV is just damn cute! Roll on delivery day!

Ang

Yokai
3rd January 2005, 10:58

I did, bought it last Wednesday so your advice is a little late, but I am glad to hear you like it :2thumbsup Makes me feel much more confident that I've made the right decision.

Ok - so PICS! and when you get a decent parts supplier, let me know!
:2thumbsup

Oh and a little renaissa hug: :hug:

Coyote
3rd January 2005, 11:10

I figured given my lowly position on the totem pole I'm not going to be able to afford anything else for at least a couple of years and I'd've gotten bored with the GN or SR I think. As did some of the people that know me.
And the SRV is just damn cute! Roll on delivery day!

Ang
Good on ya. We will look out for you on the road :niceone: