PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a rivet tool?

Metalor
18th May 2008, 22:09
Hey, was just wondering if anyone has a rivet tool for a chain? I've just changed my sprockets and put a new chain on but I'm a bit worried about the clip... would like to get the chain riveted just for piece of mind.

Metalor
19th May 2008, 18:30
Don't worry, sortta fucked the clip a bit, was still ok though but got a link link pack from colemans and they put it on for me :)

Found out I hadn't compressed the link on tight enough so the master clip wasn't going on properly... may have ended up nasty!

motorbyclist
20th May 2008, 00:32
good on ya for getting in checked out

too many guys go "she'll be right" and have things go horribly, horribly wrong

Metalor
20th May 2008, 10:05
Yea... didn't want to be one of those guys! Already had one big spill, that's enough for me.

vifferman
20th May 2008, 10:11
This could've been the appropriate time for me to trot out my "Why it's not as good an idea as it might first seem to use a laminate trimmer and low-spec grinding wheel thingo to grind the pins off the master link on your bike's drivechain" story.

Metalor
20th May 2008, 14:30
How does that story go? Do tell! I managed to get the old chain off via my Brothers sledgehammer.... hahaha. Who needs and expensive chain breaker?

Metalor
20th May 2008, 14:31
.... my driveway doesn't look to flash for it though.

vifferman
20th May 2008, 14:52
How does that story go? Do tell! I!
It's the "Short Lunchtime, Long Story (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3614)" thread.

Chrislost
20th May 2008, 20:50
hmm.
i just spend 4 hours going over the vfr.

that new shock(the standard one outa the bike ive been riding) is about 100 times better then the old one!
when i jump up and down once i dont bounce 3 times anymore! :bash:

should do wonders for sunday :scooter:

your not the guy that i was talking to in my lab are you?

motorbyclist
20th May 2008, 20:54
How does that story go? Do tell! I managed to get the old chain off via my Brothers sledgehammer.... hahaha. Who needs and expensive chain breaker?

i once used an angle grinder to remove a chain link... did a nice job too.

would've been easier to just wait till monday and get the shop to do it though

Ixion
20th May 2008, 21:24
Angle grinder to take the heads off the pins is pretty much standard practice . Endorsed by none other than that renowned firm of motorcycle artificers, Messrs Bashit and Bodger.

I have the rivet tool thingy should anyone require it. You break it or lose the vital bits , you replace it. You still need to grind the heads off the pins on big chains though.

motorbyclist
20th May 2008, 21:31
Angle grinder to take the heads off the pins is pretty much standard practice . Endorsed by none other than that renowned firm of motorcycle artificers, Messrs Bashit and Bodger.

haha, yeah, i had a pleasant surprise the other day in mt eden motorcycles when i saw a video playing of someone adjusting the spring preload on the rear shock...

now i always assumed my method of "this tool is useless - where's my screwdriver and hammer? - hrmm that seems to be munting it but it works way batter" was the n00b way to go about it, but there i saw some pros doing it themselves! plus i had better tools; they had this wussy as screw driver, while i had my westie screwdriver! (the 8mm square bar sort that's been forged by bench grinder and hammer several times after chipping it using as a lever/chisel/wedge/hammer/scribe/spring preload adjuster/"stabber"/paint mixer/bottle opener/fork/allen key/screwdriver)

ehab2weelr
20th May 2008, 21:45
any one knows how much a new chain for my gsx would be?? think il need one soon....:mellow: hahah

and can anyone tell me where i can find my fuse box?? :first:

motorbyclist
20th May 2008, 22:43
any one knows how much a new chain for my gsx would be?? think il need one soon....:mellow: hahah

and can anyone tell me where i can find my fuse box?? :first:

depends on how much you spend - anywhere from $50 to $150+ for just the chain

but i'd strongly recommend A: replacing the sprockets along with it to get maximum life from the new chain and to save you doing those in 3 months anyway, and B: buy the most expensive shit you can (within reason), as it will last many times longer than a cheap chain, making it cheaper in the long term, more reliable and much less hassle as you hardly ever need tension it.

i've got a sprocket set you can examine that were still good before the new $60 chain ruined them (and the chain) and left my mate stranded at the top of muriwai beach - and there's probably a thread up from me bitching about having to tighten my old chain (the one that came with my bike) weekly until i ran out of adjustment

and fuse box should be under your seat somewhere