PDA

View Full Version : Computer gurus, HELP!!

DEATH_INC.
19th May 2008, 11:50
Help, came into work this morning and one of our 'pooters has lost all it's desktop shortcuts and basically reset itself......it's running windows 2000 so no restore......
Any idea's on getting 'er back up and running??

MSTRS
19th May 2008, 11:52
Yep. Ditch W2000.

nodrog
19th May 2008, 11:59
just go home dude, let sombody esle fix it

ManDownUnder
19th May 2008, 12:08
reinstall W2000, it should put the basics right. Don't do a total install, but during the install process there is a repair option - choose that

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

tgb_novice
19th May 2008, 12:14
Help, came into work this morning and one of our 'pooters has lost all it's desktop shortcuts and basically reset itself......it's running windows 2000 so no restore......
Any idea's on getting 'er back up and running??

Most probably what has happened is he has lost his desktop settings folder (Win2k has annoying way of doing this :angry2: ). Possible solution is login as an administrator on the machine, and in the Document & Settings folder (Most probably on C:) there should be 1 folder with the name of the user and another maybe with user.bak or something, browse through this folder and check which of this is the one u want. Before you start make a copy of this folder (For backup ;) . Now copy all the sub folders of the one that you want into the other folder with the user name in it and give it a try.

BTW Dont :bash: me if it doesnt work ....

dhunt
19th May 2008, 12:59
Most probably what has happened is he has lost his desktop settings folder (Win2k has annoying way of doing this :angry2: ). Possible solution is login as an administrator on the machine, and in the Document & Settings folder (Most probably on C:) there should be 1 folder with the name of the user and another maybe with user.bak or something, browse through this folder and check which of this is the one u want. Before you start make a copy of this folder (For backup ;) . Now copy all the sub folders of the one that you want into the other folder with the user name in it and give it a try.

BTW Dont :bash: me if it doesnt work ....
Yeah this sounds like the best place to start.

It does sound like the computer is working correctly just lost the users profile. If the above doesn't help maybe expand on what 'basically reset it self' means.

DEATH_INC.
20th May 2008, 09:27
Cheers, not really working yet, got some stuff back.....
Everything else is still there, just not where it should be....
May just format the whole thing and start again with xp or something....
Thanks for the help anyhoo

MSTRS
20th May 2008, 09:34
Cheers, not really working yet, got some stuff back.....
Everything else is still there, just not where it should be....
May just format the whole thing and start again with xp or something....
Thanks for the help anyhoo

:yes:
I had W2000...after 3 major crashes in 6 months (where a critical line or two of registry instruction just 'disappeared') I went to XP and have never had another issue.

MIXONE
20th May 2008, 09:35
My son "helpfully" cleaned up my laptop to speed it up by removing unwanted files/programmes.Now I have no audio.Any helpfull solutions anyone?
PS Remember I'm a puter idiot!

dhunt
20th May 2008, 13:05
My son "helpfully" cleaned up my laptop to speed it up by removing unwanted files/programmes.Now I have no audio.Any helpfull solutions anyone?
PS Remember I'm a puter idiot!
It's a bit hard to say without more details.
1) What OS? Win2000, WinXp etc

2) What happens when you try to play something? ie do you get an error or does it look like everything is working fine just not produce any sound.

3) I presume you have checked that the volume controls are turned up and not muted?

Hope that helps. Unfortunetly it's not the easiest thing to help with without actually seeing the computer.

Kittyhawk
20th May 2008, 13:08
there is a feature i used once to reset the pc to start working from an earlier date (to prevent a virus hitting getting worse) i cant recall but once you change the internal date if you call it that then itd be fine

Tank
20th May 2008, 13:28

Id start by hitting softly around the ears, slowly moving up to belting the soles of his bare feet with a rubber pipe.

Remember not to leave any bruisers - CYF's can be a bitch.

tgb_novice
20th May 2008, 20:55
It's a bit hard to say without more details.
1) What OS? Win2000, WinXp etc

2) What happens when you try to play something? ie do you get an error or does it look like everything is working fine just not produce any sound.

3) I presume you have checked that the volume controls are turned up and not muted?

Hope that helps. Unfortunetly it's not the easiest thing to help with without actually seeing the computer.

I second dhunt 's opinion.
And also if you could let us know what Laptop it is , we could help further. If I hazard a guess he may have uninstalled the Audio driver along with the clean up :doh:.

MIXONE
21st May 2008, 08:42
I second dhunt 's opinion.
And also if you could let us know what Laptop it is , we could help further. If I hazard a guess he may have uninstalled the Audio driver along with the clean up :doh:.

Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.Your guess is correct!How do I install a new audio driver.If I try to play music etc. I get the response "multi media audio driver missing etc."
Heeeellllpppp!

Cajun
21st May 2008, 08:48
be handy if you give us the model, it should be on it somewhere if worse comes tow orse will be on bottom of it

MIXONE
21st May 2008, 09:03
be handy if you give us the model, it should be on it somewhere if worse comes tow orse will be on bottom of it

The model no. on the bottom is PSA10A-014WHP.
Does this help?
PS Cheers for any assistance you can give me.

tgb_novice
21st May 2008, 09:08
Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.Your guess is correct!How do I install a new audio driver.If I try to play music etc. I get the response "multi media audio driver missing etc."
Heeeellllpppp!

I hope you have the installation cd(s) that came with your computer. There should be one which says, Drivers & utilities or something. Now get ur Computer [il]literate son :bash: to look for audio drivers in that and install it from there.
Otherwise as someone else earlier said let us know the Model no, and we can check if the audio driver is available online.

Cajun
21st May 2008, 09:10
Its called Toshiba Satellite A10

so in turn it needs ADI WDM Audio Driver

So download the driver from link below and try that

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/sa10sndx.exe

tgb_novice
21st May 2008, 09:12
The model no. on the bottom is PSA10A-014WHP.
Does this help?
PS Cheers for any assistance you can give me.

Humm looking at the service no (Thats the one u have given us :( ) ,does the name Toshiba Satellite A10 model ring a bell ?

tgb_novice
21st May 2008, 09:14
Its called Toshiba Satellite A10

so in turn it needs ADI WDM Audio Driver

So download the driver from link below and try that

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/sa10sndx.exe

Yup! You beat me to it :crybaby:

MIXONE
21st May 2008, 09:19
I am trying the download as I type.Thanks guys you are legends!
Next time you are in Welly let me know.The beers are on me.:apint::niceone::drinknsin
Said son has been banished to play with his PS2.

MIXONE
21st May 2008, 10:04
:yes:Houston we have liftoff.:clap:
Major bling to you both.:rockon::cool: