PDA

View Full Version : Foxton-Shannon road advice, please!

sunhuntin
20th May 2008, 09:33
does anyone know whether the road from foxton to shannon is sealed?

my partner and i are going to wellington, but have to go to palmy first. rather than back track and waste time, we thought wed take the back road, but are unsure on the condition of that bit.

on the map, it is white, but that just says its a minor road, not sealed/unsealed. if its unsealed, we will just go to levin and go back to foxton.

cheers! :niceone:

Hitcher
20th May 2008, 09:57
Apart from any possible road works, the Foxton-Shannon road is sealed. Indeed it's a racetrack.

MSTRS
20th May 2008, 10:02
Why would you go that way? If you have to go to P.N. and then Welly - go out past Massey and when you get to Shannon, keep going...past Levin and turn right at Kimberley Rd.

Grub
20th May 2008, 10:03

No, it's a backwater. People who live there marry their cousins and play banjos and need a "real" truck to negotiate the track they call a road. Come to think of it, they probably don't marry.

p/t

Grub
20th May 2008, 10:05
Why would you go that way? If you have to go to P.N. and then Welly - go out past Massey and when you get to Shannon, keep going...past Levin and turn right at Kimberley Rd.

True ... and to get to Palmy just go straight ahead at Sanson and don't turn off, you'll end up in the square. Going down to Foxton is really stretching the trip on yuk SH1

MSTRS
20th May 2008, 10:13
True ... and to get to Palmy just go straight ahead at Sanson and don't turn off, you'll end up in the square. Going down to Foxton is really stretching the trip on yuk SH1

Absolutely. You come in on Rangitikei Line/Street and hit the square. Straight across on the other side of the square is Fitzherbert St which is the one to take out of town. You stay on that road straight through to Shannon...where you either turn right to Foxton, or go a little further and turn left to go to(wards) Levin. This road actually goes along the side of Levin so you don't get fouled up with that town's bullshit traffic.
U4ea lives on Shannon/Foxton highway. She may be able to direct you, SunH.

henry
20th May 2008, 12:10
Or... turn right at the square and go down through Pioneer Highway. Then you can ether go straight and come out at Himatangi or turn left and go through Opiki, Shannon etc.

Lot's of choice, something to appeal to everyone.

sunhuntin
20th May 2008, 12:13
thanks everyone. so sealed it is! thatll save the arguments. :laugh: reason we are going to foxton is for the second hand shops. only reason.

CookMySock
20th May 2008, 13:11
[...] You come in on Rangitikei Line/Street and hit the square. Straight across on the other side of the square is Fitzherbert St which is the one to take out of town.GROWL!! Dont you hate it when they do that ? Seriously, it makes me take more than a second look at why I cant ride over their grass, through their flower beds, and around their fountains.. :whistle:

DB

henry
20th May 2008, 14:18
thanks everyone. so sealed it is! thatll save the arguments. :laugh: reason we are going to foxton is for the second hand shops. only reason.

Then the quickest way is Pioneer Highway to Himatangi. Bit boring though.

chanceyy
20th May 2008, 14:26

I would avoid palmy to shannon rd via massey & linton at mo .. they have just carved up the road around optiki where they are taking out the twisties .. nice section of gravel at mo ..

No, it's a backwater. People who live there marry their cousins and play banjos and need a "real" truck to negotiate the track they call a road. Come to think of it, they probably don't marry.

p/t

hmm you so want the :bash: then :lol: :girlfight:

Or... turn right at the square and go down through Pioneer Highway. Then you can ether go straight and come out at Himatangi or turn left and go through Opiki, Shannon etc.

or my fav himitangi straights rather than boring SH1 ...

If you going palmy to foxton best to do longburn & himitangi straight foxton shannon road

MSTRS
20th May 2008, 15:01
or my fav himitangi straights rather than boring SH1 ...

That is SH1...
So you reckon Pioneer HW, Longburn straight, turn left and through Opiki, right to Shannon and right to Foxton?

yod
20th May 2008, 15:09

nup...they've changed it

you now go 'straight' (actually you kinda veer left) to go to Opiki, Shannon or turn off to the right to go on through to Himatangi

Hitcher
20th May 2008, 15:20
My "alternate" route to or from Palmerston North:

To: SH1 to almost Foxton. Turn right into Newth Road about 1km before the Foxton City Limits.

Follow your nose when Newth turns (sharply) into Hickford.

Stay on Hickford until the very end, then turn right into Motuiti Road.

At the end of Motuiti, turn left into Himatangi Block Road.

Himatangi Block Road ends at the road formerly known as SH56. Turn right and head to Palmerston North.

This "by pass" really is a race track. I understand that large inline four-cylinder motorcycles, such as those made in Japan, can reach speeds of over 240kmh (rated) along here. Sadly, the chances of anybody silly enough to perpetrate such illegalities getting pinged by Joe Law would be lower than being struck by lightening. Terrible business.

sinfull
20th May 2008, 15:53

Yep but be carefull out there ! The locals are still lopping the odd bikers hand off to sell in said shops !

I would avoid palmy to shannon rd via massey & linton at mo .. they have just carved up the road around optiki where they are taking out the twisties .. nice section of gravel at mo ..

Yep ugly section of road at the moment !! AVOID AVOID !
If you going palmy to foxton best to do longburn & himitangi straight foxton shannon road

Scratching my head here Sandra so SH bound to find himself going in circles !

nup...they've changed it

you now go 'straight' (actually you kinda veer left) to go to Opiki, Shannon or turn off to the right to go on through to Himatangi

Yep What Yod said they've altered the road so you now go straight through to Opiki so to get to himatangi ya have to take a right ! Think it would be The third right after longburn, down to himatangi and a blast down the himatangi straight into foxton !
OR you could like Hitcher said look out for himatangi block rd as yr headed toward himatangi just prior to the lil village of bainesse and avoid more of SH1, follow that to foxton shannon rd and hang right to foxton (great bit of road !)
It would be the way to leave palmy and avoid the (complete f..k up, of taking some brilliant windies out) stretch between massey and shannon, You could always then take the Newth road on yr left as yr leaving foxton and just keep turning to the east you will find yrself headed TO shannon and hook right down the back way past levin ! but only if your in the mood to tiki tour down some great roads (worth looking) !~

yod
20th May 2008, 16:10
I understand that large inline four-cylinder motorcycles, such as those made in Japan, can reach speeds of over 240kmh (rated) along here.

2-up:innocent:

chanceyy
20th May 2008, 18:21
Scratching my head here Sandra so SH bound to find himself going in circles !

Yep What Yod said they've altered the road so you now go straight through to Opiki so to get to himatangi ya have to take a right ! Think it would be The third right after longburn, down to himatangi and a blast down the himatangi straight into foxton !
OR you could like Hitcher said look out for himatangi block rd as yr headed toward himatangi just prior to the lil village of bainesse and avoid more of SH1, follow that to foxton shannon rd and hang right to foxton (great bit of road !)
It would be the way to leave palmy and avoid the (complete f..k up, of taking some brilliant windies out) stretch between massey and shannon, You could always then take the Newth road on yr left as yr leaving foxton and just keep turning to the east you will find yrself headed TO shannon and hook right down the back way past levin ! but only if your in the mood to tiki tour down some great roads (worth looking) !~

:doh: forgot about the new road layout :lol: :sweatdrop:

henry
20th May 2008, 20:03

Really. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Are they trying to get people lost.

The straights around Opiki are pretty good as long as you avoid the potatoes.

chanceyy
20th May 2008, 20:12

nah they have changed the road layout so when you come from longburn & want to head towards himitangi you have to turn right .. its a nice sweeper directly to opiki now. Himitangi Block road is better than SH1 way less traffic & not quite as boring

sinfull
20th May 2008, 20:16

Think it might be the fact that most of the heavy traffic from wellington to palmy comes through opiki via shannon, seeing it saves a fair amount of road users going that way (as bouncy as it is in a truck)

86GSXR
20th May 2008, 21:13
That stretch of road between Pioneer Highway and Opiki is exquisite at extreme speeds on a 3 cylinder motorcycle too, so I'm told. Especially the sweepers leading up to and over the bridge apparantly :p

henry
20th May 2008, 21:25
Three cylinders you say. Hmmmm, wonder where I could get one of those?

u4ea
20th May 2008, 21:26

AHEM as I live on this road I will have you know.....it's all true:buggerd:

p/t

We have some awesome banjo shops in Shannon :(

MR Sinfull........there is a special chopping block waiting for you:nya:

sinfull
20th May 2008, 22:07
AHEM as I live on this road I will have you know.....it's all true:buggerd:

p/t

We have some awesome banjo shops in Shannon :(

MR Sinfull........there is a special chopping block waiting for you:nya:

Whaaaaa have i done :whocares: You know your exciting me here :jerry:! Awww the second hand shops lol (excitement turns into mmm nah still excited)

rottiguy
20th May 2008, 22:48
Nothing wrong with the shannon to foxton road went down and back today taking my doggie to the beach it's all good, no road works and sealed all the way

rottiguy
20th May 2008, 22:51
HEY we try to avoid calling the people living in Opiki potatoes, even if they are potatoe-like :)

cindymay
22nd May 2008, 19:45
Apart from any possible road works, the Foxton-Shannon road is sealed. Indeed it's a racetrack.
It is my racetrack - I must buy a better bike :whistle:

You have missed the point of riding a motorcycle. Go down this road and then back again and if you have to, then carry on to PN.

=cJ=
22nd May 2008, 20:57
There be roadworks just south of Foxton presently too, not as bad as through Linton however..

Tumbles
22nd May 2008, 23:42

my partner and i are going to wellington, but have to go to palmy first. rather than back track and waste time, we thought wed take the back road, but are unsure on the condition of that bit.

on the map, it is white, but that just says its a minor road, not sealed/unsealed. if its unsealed, we will just go to levin and go back to foxton.

cheers! :niceone:

Leave Palmerston North to the South East, past Massey University. Then keep going till you hit SH1 just south of Fielding. :)

MSTRS
23rd May 2008, 08:42
You have missed the point of riding a motorcycle. Go down this road and then back again and if you have to, then carry on to PN.No point missed. The less travelled and twisty, the better. In fact, one should miss SH1 altogether. Especially the stretch from Sanson to Foxton.:sick:

Leave Palmerston North to the South East, past Massey University. Then keep going till you hit SH1 just south of Fielding. :)

Tear up that map. Replace immediately. Try AA - they generally have things in the right place.

Hitcher
23rd May 2008, 08:56
Leave Palmerston North to the South East, past Massey University. Then keep going till you hit SH1 just south of Fielding.

Gahh! And that Manawatu town is spelt Feilding, home to the Manfeild raceway (also note spelling). It's nice to see somebody has an eye for detail.

gjbourke
23rd May 2008, 18:05
The alternate route described above is far far better than the parallel section of SH1.
There are currently roadworks around Foxton.

Owl
23rd May 2008, 18:08
I guess once you reach the ocean, you'd know you've gone too far.:doh:

Bonez
24th May 2008, 13:30
That stretch of road between Pioneer Highway and Opiki is exquisite at extreme speeds on a 3 cylinder motorcycle too, so I'm told. Especially the sweepers leading up to and over the bridge apparantly :pThey're not too bad on a single banger either. Even if it is at a more gentlemanly pace.

Bonez
24th May 2008, 13:32
There are currently roadworks around Foxton.Must investigate.

rottiguy
24th May 2008, 20:32
haha yep not to mention when you get back on SH1 after going through shannon you are actually just south of levin. also they are just about to seal the short bit of gravel just past the opiki turn off on the massey road. they are fair pissing about with those road works, I go through them twice a day if anyone needs an update b4 heading through.

Gahh! And that Manawatu town is spelt Feilding, home to the Manfeild raceway (also note spelling). It's nice to see somebody has an eye for detail.