PDA

View Full Version : Rangi da Munta.

Pages : [1] 2

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:02
Yes, a new bucket is about to be reborn, and Pamela (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=66282) has got herself a boyfriend!!
A while back I mentioned to Skunk that I was on the scrounge for some 17" wheels for Pamela so he could have his oh so cool white rimmed wheels back before I wreck them smacking into Str8Jacket. He mentioned that Speedpro was selling his old #6 RG50 frame with 17" wheels on it, and that I could probably purchase the whole lot for a good price.
So the deal was done and last night I collected the #6 frame from F5Dave's place (Thanks F5Dave, and Speedpro, you guys are awesome and the definition of what "bucket people" are like! (That's a good bugger, for those who don't know)) :)
So loaded it in the van and I says to Kendog "It's definitely a boy bike isn't it, in fact, it's a bit of a munta" After the laughter died down I then says, "Actually, it looks like a Rangi to me", more laughter insued and the name has stuck. So Rangi da Munta has come to live at my house.
My plan is to finish the bucket "season" on Pamela and work on Rangi in my spare time and have him ready for next season (money is short, so will muck about and add things he needs as they become available and I can pay for them).
He needs a few things (as you can see from the photos), the main thing is an engine. The plan is to pick up an MB100 engine to put in him, as this will fit straight in, or maybe an H100, and a 6 speed MB50 gearbox or possible even a 5 speed MT50, to make it go fast bro!! :lol: Also need to get an exhaust that'll fit and work well, so some things to find before next year!! So if anyone has any of this stuff for sale or know someone who is selling, please let me know, cheers.:sunny:
Well, here's some pictures of Rangi as he is now. Can't wait to get stuck in and "Trudence" him! Will update as he comes together.:soon:

skelstar
20th May 2008, 11:04
Cool ... Rangi makes that bike stand look a little 'over engineered' eh? :)

Grub
20th May 2008, 11:08
I like the name! Way cool.

That's the same frame as Brains who has a weird 17" front and 18" rear combo which funnily enough seems to work. Good brakes, light frame and fun to ride.

Is youyr garage as bad as ours now? No room for the car, 5 bikes rule.

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:11
Rangi has some damn fine brakes so I'm told, good tyres too, luckily Speedpro has already got rid of all the chicken strips for me!!:2thumbsup But that seat's gotta go.... although that's what makes him fit into the Munta family!

Number One
20th May 2008, 11:14
Kewl Trudy but Pamela is the Sleds bitch. Rangi can just get in line...infact when he actually runs THEN he can get in line behind Sled....:laugh:

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:15
Is youyr garage as bad as ours now? No room for the car, 5 bikes rule.

hehe, getting that way... 2 road bikes, a push-bike on a wind trainer and 3 buckets (soon to be four..:rolleyes:), can still just fit the car in, the van luckily doesn't seem to mind living outside (tough shit, it doesn't get a choice!) Skunk keeps trying to pimp out our garage for lost buckets and dyno storage... but I don't think it's going to happen!!:spanking:

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:16
Kewl Trudy but Pamela is the Sleds bitch. Rangi can just get in line...infact when he actually runs THEN he can get in line behind Sled....:laugh:

It's ok, Pamela will always have a special place in her "heart" for the sled!!:love:

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:18
Cool ... Rangi makes that bike stand look a little 'over engineered' eh? :)

ha! Yes, well....
Hey, there's a seat on Pammy anytime you want, when you're up to it eh!:sunny:

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 11:21
Noice one bro! What rubber has them there tyres got, eh? hmm.....

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:28
Noice one bro! What rubber has them there tyres got, eh? hmm.....

Dunlop TT900GP chur

BiK3RChiK
20th May 2008, 11:29
Looks like an awesome project there, Mrs K! and I love the name... Heehee

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 11:34
Dunlop TT900GP chur

Yep, that's what I thought! You lucky Biarch! I have them on my RG and a spare set in the lounge. Thy're awesome tyres, you gonna put them on Pammy?

nudemetalz
20th May 2008, 11:37
Wow !!!

Good on ya, Trudes !!!!!!

Look forward to seeing Rangi on the track :niceone:

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:37
Yep, that's what I thought! You lucky Biarch! I have them on my RG and a spare set in the lounge. Thy're awesome tyres, you gonna put them on Pammy?

Don't know if they'll fit without a bit of Pammy modification, I'm sure Skunk will be along in a sec to answer that question.... otherwise I may have to wait until Rangi is running to get to try them out. They look HOT though!:yes:

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 11:38
Don't know if they'll fit without a bit of Pammy modification, I'm sure Skunk will be along in a sec to answer that question.... otherwise I may have to wait until Rangi is running to get to try them out. They look HOT though!:yes:

Love, I really dont think that Rangi and HOT fit into the same sentence! Though Rangi does look like a good mate for Sambo........

Trudes
20th May 2008, 11:39
Love, I really dont think that Rangi and HOT fit into the same sentence! Though Rangi does look like a good mate for Sambo........

haha, does Sambo need a Munta sidekick?

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 11:43
haha, does Sambo need a Munta sidekick?

Yaha! Moo's pitbike is just not cool enough. Anyway, they dont speak the same language and Rangi looks like he'd speak Sambo's language!

skelstar
20th May 2008, 12:01
ha! Yes, well....
Hey, there's a seat on Pammy anytime you want, when you're up to it eh!:sunny:

Cheers, not allowed to crash for 12 months though (order from profs)... not that Pammy is a crasher eh? :)

Trudes
20th May 2008, 12:16
Cheers, not allowed to crash for 12 months though (order from profs)... not that Pammy is a crasher eh? :)

Yeah, she'll look after you, she's a slapper not a crasher!:yes:

nudemetalz
20th May 2008, 12:20
Any help I can give you, let me know.
I have a little experience in bucket-building doncha know :)
Just don't ask me to make a muffler bracket ;)

Trudes
20th May 2008, 12:39
Any help I can give you, let me know.
I have a little experience in bucket-building doncha know :)
Just don't ask me to make a muffler bracket ;)

hehe, buckets eh, you gotta love them, all that "kiwi ingenuity", cable ties, duct tape and super glue!
Thanks Nudey, appreciate the offer, have to say, I certainly like the look of Lady P and I'm sure Rangi will too! ;)

nudemetalz
20th May 2008, 12:54
Well, an RG50 can be made to look rather nice, especially with those cool spoked rims and tyres.
I have a bellypan off the RGV frame which could bling bling it too.

Skunk
20th May 2008, 12:58
:wacko: :whistle: :shutup:

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 13:01

You not feeling to well el Stinko?

nudemetalz
20th May 2008, 13:02
now now, Skunk !! :2guns:

Trudes
20th May 2008, 13:12
Well, an RG50 can be made to look rather nice, especially with those cool spoked rims and tyres.
I have a bellypan off the RGV frame which could bling bling it too.
OOOOO, Bling!!! Now you're talking... we'll have to talk about the bling!

What Skunk, you don't like Rangi??

Skunk
20th May 2008, 15:06
Don't you dare 'bling' it. That bucket is all about function.

Str8 Jacket
20th May 2008, 15:08
Don't you dare 'bling' it. That bucket is all about function.

Are yours functioning yet?....

Skunk
20th May 2008, 15:11
No, too much bling. And I'm stressing about it - as I do.

F5 Dave
20th May 2008, 15:16
Yeah It slipped its way in between 3 other bikes hitchhiking the ride home & didn’t even wear a seatbelt! (it was wedged in well enough that I jammed a couple of rags in between).

Crying out for a seat unit. Plastic bags, sheesh!

When I got it back I pushed on the seat to find that there may be a bit too much compression damping wound in, maybe a too stiff a spring, by the looks of the shock it is unadjustable.:confused:

koba
20th May 2008, 15:31
You could always put a pitbike motor in it.
Seriously, I know you guys like the 2 smokers but that thing would weigh about the same but have lovley handling, and the pitty motor would be quite light with lots of low down grunt to pull it out of corners.

A cheapie would be getting a $200 pit bike and using the motor out of that.
But hand off my one! I still need it and mikey has buyback rights.

The ideal would be a 3 valve head one or 150cc job (http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb214/pitsterpro/l150.jpg) but they would cost a bit more than the still workable 110 cheapies.

Brand new 110! (http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=3)
Brand new 125 but out of stock. (http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=4)
140cc on trademe (too expensive) (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-156324862.htm)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-155394409.htm

That is what I would look at anyway, Of course if a good priced H100 or whatever comes up that would probably be far better.

nudemetalz
20th May 2008, 16:02
Well, you can get a brand new Loncin 145 engine with a carb for $600.
The only issue you have is putting it into a frame originally designed for a 2-stroke. Carb sits high and the the tank has to be adjusted to suit.
But it can be done, hence Lady P & Brains :)

F5 Dave
20th May 2008, 16:48
A pitbike is not strictly speaking bucket legal. It is supposed to be roadbike engine. Not that we'd probably care too much, but they are varied quality. mostly not quality.

Also the bike is set up to slot an MB100 engine straight in. Anything else is more fabrication. + an MB is a better engine than most else.

Trudes
20th May 2008, 18:53
Thanks everyone for the info and recommendations.:rockon:
I will keep looking for an MB at this stage, as I said, I have plenty of time to source one (and am really hoping Nigel finds a CT125 or similar so he will sell me his!!), but if I get desperate I will definitely consider something else!! Yeah I forgot about the weight thing with Rangi, he has been doctored to be light, so would be a bit of a shame to put any heavy bling on him (aside from my big blingy arse!):shit:

kiwifruit
20th May 2008, 19:03
mean maori, mean!

Trudes
20th May 2008, 19:12
Another one!!!;) This one is a definite Maori!!

koba
21st May 2008, 13:03
A pitbike is not strictly speaking bucket legal. It is supposed to be roadbike engine. Not that we'd probably care too much, but they are varied quality. mostly not quality.

Also the bike is set up to slot an MB100 engine straight in. Anything else is more fabrication. + an MB is a better engine than most else.

Now that Ive seen the bike in the flesh (or metal?!) I understand better!
H/MB 100 it should be. direct swap = soo much easier.

Does it count that the pitbike motors (mine at least) are a blatant copy of a CT110 honda?

F5 Dave
21st May 2008, 13:18
Depends I guess, the rules weren't written to cope with that. If it was a CT copy then I guess no one would care, just as the Lonchin is a copy of the GL.

But it gets complex as people could then buy all sorts of crazy hop up parts that were popular for pittys & racing cranks, big bore kits, special heads etc would not be legal.

I don't think anyone really cares if it is a copy of a legal engine.

Skunk
21st May 2008, 16:16
When I got it back I pushed on the seat to find that there may be a bit too much compression damping wound in, maybe a too stiff a spring, by the looks of the shock it is unadjustable.:confused:I have a solution for that. Not a great one but it will get other things moving. (*Haha* - moving. *titter*)

I will keep looking for an MB at this stage. Yeah I forgot about the weight thing with Rangi, he has been doctored to be light, so would be a bit of a shame to put any heavy bling on himWhew! That was close...

Trudes
26th May 2008, 20:40
I need a Honda RS125 shock if anyone has one they want to sell. Cheers.

F5 Dave
27th May 2008, 09:43
Best specify which type, I suspect you mean pre95 as 95 on had vertical mount & were shorter & earlier ones were canter-lever.

Is this just a guess? or have you measured one & have the right end clevises on the shock mounts? PS might want to set sights lower, they will be hard to find.

Trudes
27th May 2008, 11:08
Best specify which type, I suspect you mean pre95 as 95 on had vertical mount & were shorter & earlier ones were canter-lever.

Is this just a guess? or have you measured one & have the right end clevises on the shock mounts? PS might want to set sights lower, they will be hard to find.

Just going off what Speedpro said he was using, not sure of the year but he said it had remote reservoir and height adjustment... if that helps!
I'm not fussy, just want something that will fit the gap without needing to do too much resizing and cutting, if possible.
The shock Skunk has spare he doesn't think will fit, so will need something to stick in there. I'm in no hurry, just if someone has something that'll suit, I'd gladly take it off their hands.

F5 Dave
27th May 2008, 11:21
ok he must have been using the shock from his RS so you could use a 94 or earlier. Or you could try & find a similar shock in the meantime. RS ones will be fairly sought after.

Trudes
27th May 2008, 12:01
Cool, thanks for that F5Dave!!:)

gav
27th May 2008, 19:20
Maybe something like a NSR250 shock might fit? Possibly try Buckets n Bits, think they may have changed there name though? Otherwise Trade Me.

Trudes
27th May 2008, 21:22
Cheers gav!:niceone:

Skunk
27th May 2008, 21:31
It needs 290mm centres with 'Y' or 'U' mounts and a remote reservoir.

Trudes
27th May 2008, 21:54
Ahh, I knew my bucket mechanic slave, oops I mean Skunk, would be along soon with the important details that I can never remember, thanks!!;)

Skunk
27th May 2008, 21:55
You're welcome ma'am

speedpro
28th May 2008, 16:38
The frame end could be easily changed but currently takes a normal top shock mount that would have a bolt through a steel sleeve inside a rubber tube/grommet thingy. The shock is mounted more or less horizontal so it must have a remote reservoir or some other method of seperating the oil from any gas.

Trudes
18th August 2008, 13:22
SO..... Rangi can no longer really be called da Munta, he's starting to look kinda flash, no, no un-needed bling in sight (yet) however he has had a paintjob and has some special decals and a fine new seat covering coming thanks to Skunk:cool:.
He has a real flash looking shock now thanks to Sketchy Racer's fine magpie skills :niceone: and has a flash as carb just waiting to go on his MB100 engine that Sully60 :hug: and I are at present swapping a MB50 6 speed gearbox into.
So yes, things are moving along for Rangi da not so Munta. Pictures will be added once he gets his seat back as he looks a bit like a tank on wheels at the moment!:laugh:

F5 Dave
18th August 2008, 15:55
Cool, just remember to keep that seat as low as poss. Bars should be lower too, . . . unless you are some gangly freak of nature, eh? Mike:whistle:

speedpro
19th August 2008, 19:14
Cool, just remember to keep that seat as low as poss. Bars should be lower too, . . . unless you are some gangly freak of nature, eh? Mike:whistle:

I've taken you out before. I aint afraid to do it again.

F5 Dave
20th August 2008, 09:33
This time don't be so cheap with the wine.

Trudes
6th February 2009, 20:22
My poor wee bucket Pamela (whom we all know and love, sexy bitch that she is) is on her way out.......:( Because......
Rangi will live yet!!:banana::banana:
Feels like a long time coming (well, it has been, he's been living in my garage since May last year) he's not finished yet, but he's a WHOLE lot closer to being so. Today Sully :hug:came over and we finished putting the MB50 6speed gearbox into the MB100 engine that came out of Kendog's BluePoo. Tomorrow Rangi is taking the short journey to Skunk Works to have some modifications done to fit engine into frame (as it was discovered the engine mounts don't quite fit) and then it's hopefully just a matter of some finer things like a clutch cable, throttle, chain etc to be done.
So we (Rangi and I) may still yet make it to the first Wellington Bucket meet of the year.:wari:
Will report back tomorrow on the day's progress.:2thumbsup

dangerous
6th February 2009, 20:34
LOL never relised you owned old #6 Rashika will be green hehe she loved that bike from the day she rode it and when finding out it was to be put down I reckon I sen a tear in her eyes.

So I read the 1st post and the last... ya got a engine so I wont offer help there, what ya reckon Rangi da munta (or BB for short) will be ready for BOB 09?

Trudes
6th February 2009, 21:07
BOB, you bet, unless something really BAD happens to him before then, Rangi and I will be there.
I think he'll look a bit different to how old #6 looked, and once I get my seat back from wherever Skunk sent it off for being a bad arsed mongrel mob seat I'll take some pictures!!!:laugh:
And what's the BB short for D?

Number One
7th February 2009, 08:12
My poor wee bucket Pamela (whom we all know and love, sexy bitch that she is) is on her way out.......:( Because......
Rangi will live yet!!:banana::banana:
Feels like a long time coming (well, it has been, he's been living in my garage since May last year) he's not finished yet, but he's a WHOLE lot closer to being so. Today Sully :hug:came over and we finished putting the MB50 6speed gearbox into the MB100 engine that came out of Kendog's BluePoo. Tomorrow Rangi is taking the short journey to Skunk Works to have some modifications done to fit engine into frame (as it was discovered the engine mounts don't quite fit) and then it's hopefully just a matter of some finer things like a clutch cable, throttle, chain etc to be done.
So we (Rangi and I) may still yet make it to the first Wellington Bucket meet of the year.:wari:
Will report back tomorrow on the day's progress.:2thumbsup
YAY Trudes and Rangi!!! Actually I like that a little better than Trudes and Pammy - means I am your Number One gal now :shutup:

6 gears and 50cc more than I..I look forward to following Rangis and your bottom around the track this year :2thumbsup:

Trudes
7th February 2009, 13:18
I'm going to need to ride a bit more fearlessly I believe for you to be following me doll, and you've always been my Number One girl!! :hug:

Trudes
7th February 2009, 13:33
Just returned from Skunkworks. Rangi now has an engine in his frame!!!! Took an awful lot of wriggling, cutting, welding, and smashing him with a sledge hammer to get it to fit... but it's in!! Got a few more things to do, wiring, pop a carb on, see if it actually goes, attach some levers and cables and put a seat on etc, but the end is in sight! Yahhhh!!!:woohoo:
Thanks so much to Skunk for all his help, hard work and advice and Skunk Control for lending us his time. :hug:(Thanks also for welding my Hornet's exhaust mount too, can go get a warrant now :) )
Thanks Kendog for helping too, you looked like you were enjoying helping with "your woman's bucket", I don't remember you being that involved in the building of Pamela, were you keeping an eye on Rangi?

speedpro
7th February 2009, 18:00
Took an awful lot of wriggling, cutting, welding, and smashing him with a sledge hammer to get it to fit... but it's in!!

Ahhh, that brings back memories . . . There's quite a bit of that happened in another life to that bucket.

Trudes
7th February 2009, 18:10
Ahhh, that brings back memories . . . There's quite a bit of that happened in another life to that bucket.

Poor old thing! I guess what doesn't kill it will make it.... stronger, umm!! *shrug*
Hey we were checking out your hollowed out engine mounting bolts.... reason for that? We figured it was a weight saving thing :)

speedpro
7th February 2009, 18:14
yep . . . . . .

Sully60
7th February 2009, 18:27
yep . . . . . .

So what did you do will all the weight you saved, surely it's worth something by now?

dangerous
7th February 2009, 18:35
Took an awful lot of wriggling, cutting, welding, and smashing him with a sledge hammer to get it to fit... but it's in!!
Ummm but you put a MB100 in did you not and that what came out... err so should it not have been a easy fit?
Or did you silly welly lot put the enging in sideways or back to front or some silly shit?

Kendog
7th February 2009, 18:36
Thanks Kendog for helping too, you looked like you were enjoying helping with "your woman's bucket", I don't remember you being that involved in the building of Pamela, were you keeping an eye on Rangi?

I just want to make sure its ready for the first round for you.

Skunk
7th February 2009, 21:26
Ummm but you put a MB100 in did you not and that what came out... err so should it not have been a easy fit?
Or did you silly welly lot put the enging in sideways or back to front or some silly shit?

Something strange happened many years ago in the life of Rangi. It caught up with Speedpro when he blew up the MB100 that was in #6 and it caught up with Trudes recently. Somehow the engine had non-standard mounts.

I'm not sure if at the time it happened it was an Auckland, North Island or South Island thing. Note the three distinct parts of the Country.

gav
12th February 2009, 22:09
I'm sure photo's will explain all ..... *cough* ..... :whistle:

Trudes
13th February 2009, 08:02
Once my seat comes back from being spruced up I'll take some new pics... he looks a bit funny at the moment.

Trudes
22nd March 2009, 18:32
Well, Rangi is all together, and looking pretty good!! Everything seems to be going good, new engine is a hummer, the gear box is sweet, frame and everything else seems to be working good.....(Thanks to Sully60, Skunk, Sketchy and Kendog!:niceone:) Just having some fueling/carb issues, seems to keep "bogging" (not sure if that's the right term, but that's what it feels like he's doing when he does it) and feels like it's starved of gas. Tried some things, but he doesn't seem to want to go for more than about 5 minutes before he "bogs" and stops. :(
Well, this is how my day went and some crappy pictures I took of him! (He is pretty though... will sort out a chamber for him soon.
I had a mixed bag of a day.
Rangi didn't want to be a good little bucket and after we exhausted all the ideas we could think of trackside and him dying just before the start line for the fourth time, he was parked up in the pits to look pretty out of the rain (I think he just didn't want to get wet!). He is pretty though (*mumble mumble bloody bucket mumble mumble shut up with the two stroke comments, I don't want a four! mumble mumble*).
Andrew kindly offered me a ride on his FXR that he has for sale, so after I'd thought about it for all of ummmm 4 seconds I took him up on his offer, figured I might as well get a ride on something today and see what all the fuss about these FXRs is.
hehehehehe I liked it *grrrrrr* I really did.:spanking: So easy to ride, was like riding a smaller version of my Hornet around the track, very fun! So did the first points round on that.:banana:
Then Andrew said that there was someone else wanting a ride on it and would I mind taking the FXR he races out.... ok, had to think a little harder about that one, didn't want to crash his race bike, especailly as he is a contender for the big points in A grade... so after 6 seconds of thinking about it and Andrew assuring me that it wouldn't matter if I crashed it, but he knew I wouldn't anyway (I mean, I don't go fast enough to do any major damage ;) ) I was off for a practice race.
That thing is FUN!!! I had a ball!! Did the second points race on it (Congrats on your win Skunk!) and only got lapped once (I think...), felt like I was going a bit faster and smoother and leaning off a bit more.
Anyway, had a great day. Thanks to Nudey for all his organising, Sketchy for being Mr Jonny on the spot all day, All the flaggys, especially Sue (you're a gem, thanks for all the encouragement too) and everyone who tried to fix Rangi or gave me tips to help. He will ride again.... just not sure when :(
And a huge thanks to Andrew for trusting me with your bikes, you rock!!!!:)

Number One
22nd March 2009, 19:23
I love that sexy maori! Looks great Trudes...if my bike gets going we should have a swapsy one day ;) I promise I'll give him back

Maha
22nd March 2009, 19:26
I love that sexy maori! Looks great Trudes...if my bike gets going we should have a swapsy one day ;) I promise I'll give him back

Looks like it needs a decent feed though eh?....:sweatdrop

Number One
22nd March 2009, 19:28
Rangi is built for speed NOT comfort :niceone: :bleh:

Trudes
22nd March 2009, 19:42
Thanks doll, and absolutely we'll swap, we both need to sort our naughty little buckets out! Some :spanking: is in order!!!

Well he is starved of gas or something, but he's just so cute!! All 80 kg of him!!!:love:

Rangi is built for speed NOT comfort :niceone: :bleh:
This is true:yes: Yet somehow he's still quite comfy!

Trudes
22nd March 2009, 19:47
Oh and Maha, yes the seat isn't quite how I envisaged it would be..... the guy who did it obviously didn't quite realise that it was meant to be going on a race bike.... not a cruiser!! Anyway, it's comfy and slidey enough for some butt movement. :)

Sketchy_Racer
22nd March 2009, 20:30
I think I have a giftie you may like. something along the lines of a chamber :) It's rough and tough so thought Rangi would be a suitable recipient

I'll show you next time your round

Trudes
22nd March 2009, 20:45
OHHHHHHH Chamber!!!!!!!!!!:Punk::yeah: Thanks Glen!!!!

MsKABC
23rd March 2009, 08:34
Well I would say he looks purdy, but that's not really appropriate for a boy bucket, so it will have to be handsome. He kinda reminds me of a rangey thoroughbred :) Shame he didn't wanna leave the gates! :spanking:

Nasty
23rd March 2009, 08:39
He looks great Trude .. but sounds like some men who need a good kicking to get started (oh that is so sexist and rude of me).:bash:

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 10:04
I've just drained all the gas out of tank and it seemed pretty clean, a few bits of black grit but nothing major, and his tank is now sitting on my garage floor with 3litres of Coke in it. Hope he was thirsty!!!:crazy:

MsKABC
23rd March 2009, 10:06
I've just drained all the gas out of tank and it seemed pretty clean, a few bits of black grit but nothing major, and his tank is now sitting on my garage floor with 3litres of Coke in it. Hope he was thirsty!!!:crazy:

Throw some rum in as well, that'll get him cranking! :laugh:

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 10:07
Throw some rum in as well, that'll get him cranking! :laugh:

:lol: I'm hoping he's like a kid, the coke should make him hypo enough!

b1kerb0b
23rd March 2009, 10:15

Well, it is a fact that coke is cheaper than water.

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 10:16
Well, it is a fact that coke is cheaper than water.

Funny that isn't it!!:argh: Just not sure how long to leave it in there though. Do you know?
And I can make him hiss now....:laugh:

b1kerb0b
23rd March 2009, 10:19
Funny that isn't it!!:argh: Just not sure how long to leave it in there though. Do you know?

I wouldn't leave it in for a week, but it probably depends on exactly what you suspect is in there?

F5 Dave
23rd March 2009, 10:29
I was just thinking about this & came back to read about pouring coke into the tank.

Ok starting from the start, so you know RG tanks are a rust issue. What is the tap? Fully external now huh? & if you take the hoses off the bottom they drain fuel (or diet-coke or whatever) non stop? Even with the cap on? Those caps can be some drama, but I suspect Mike had dealt to it before.

Then they hose is ok to the carb & the carb was taken apart & cleaned/inlet valve checked? If it is munted might as well start with the bigger carb & remove that from the equation.

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 10:48
The tap is a little extenal tap I bought from Boyles. Hose runs from the fuel nossel on the bottom of the tank to the tap then through another hose to the carb. It's all short and all new. The hose drains the fuel non-stop if you take it off the carb (providing the tap is on of course), flows freely even with the cap on the top of the tank. Didn't seem to be any crap coming out, but when I took the hose off after running it and it dying a bunch of black gritty crap came out.
It seemed to run fine the other weekend except that the float was poked and it kept floading the carb, but it ran ok. Carb is exactly the same just has a new MB100 float and needle in it now, doesn't leak, just doesn't really go either. It starts first kick, idles fine and will rev smoothly while it's stationary, just dies when you load it.
My next thing to tick off the "try all the obvious stuff" list is to give the carb a really good clean and blow it out with the air compressor, just to make absolutely sure that it hasn't anything stuck anywhere and maybe have another look at the main jet.
If that all doesn't work then I guess it's time to see how busy Pete is and whether he can do some tuning so we can put my bigger carb on.

nudemetalz
23rd March 2009, 10:57
I've been thinking about fabricating a new small fuel tank out of aluminium for Lady P and having an external fuel tap like you have. Just will use the existing one as a cover and chop the bottom off it. No real need for a 10 litre tank. Solve a potential problem of rust in the tank (thinking the RGV150 tank would be similiar to the RG50 tank in that respect).

Maybe Rangi might get one too if I can do it.

F5 Dave
23rd March 2009, 11:22
Yes Fishe has one like that on his RG50. My RG sidestepped that by having a carbon kevlar tank.

So the bike runs ok & doesn't die when stationary? Just dies when put under load? OK so how big a mainjet did you increase it to?

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 11:37
I'm not sure, Nigel did it when the engine was still in his MB (Blue Poo) and as far as I know it ran ok. Could that be the next step, to increase the size of the main jet? I have a spare from the other MB carb I bought for the float, so if it turns into a failure I have a spare.
The long term plan is to put a larger carb on it once it has a chamber and it is tuned, so I guess we can "experiment" a bit with it.

F5 Dave
23rd March 2009, 11:44
Ahh.

So remember when I said I wouldn't even run it with the std mainjet in?
I meant it.

Jets are numbered to meter fuel in relation to the air. Removing airbox will require a bigger jet than std.

For example Ray had just taken the airbox off his (by chance of example) MB100 & turned up to Tauramanui. Didn't run very well & he didn't bring his airbox. His bike was running well lean. In the absence of any jets that size all we could do was run the smallest drillbit I had though the jet.

Ran like a charm, next time I saw him he brought me that loading ramp I have in the back of my van (he made all the ramp stuff for the Lynx area).

But he really should have gone up in jet size until it was too rich & back a size.

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 12:25
I know Nigel did drill it out a bit as he wasn't using an airbox either, but obviously not enough. So drill out the main jet a bit more and see how it goes you reckon? Thanks Dave. :)

F5 Dave
23rd March 2009, 13:27
Well drilling the jet is a bit, . . . erm shall we say Rangi?
Better to trial a few proper numbered ones, surely Skunk has a selection?

Trudes
23rd March 2009, 13:43
:laugh: Yep Skunk has some, I'll take it round there sometime this week and we'll attack it!! Cheers.

nudemetalz
23rd March 2009, 13:53
Yup, just do some full throttle plug-chop testing in Bellringer Crescent. Preferably in the evening. The neighbours won't mind :laugh:

Skunk
23rd March 2009, 17:26
Hey Dave, the jet is only slightly over 175. We drilled with the first jet drill I had that didn't fit. It shows no sign of leaness stationery - clean pick up even with snapping the throttle open. I suspect the primary side rather than the main to start with but I'll take any advise. We drilled it as I don't have any other jets... Somewhere I've got a 'how to tune two strokes' guide very similar to what you've told me. I just never done it from scratch.

F5 Dave
24th March 2009, 11:46
The web is littered with jetting guides. I would have thought the std jet would have been tiny in the 75 range, but it's been a long time. Obviously the basics need to be sorted first, like you now have it so it isn't being starved by the line (or fuel filter) crimping, & the carb is no longer flooding & the float level isn't too low or too high & carb isn't on some crazy angle, & the various carb air ccts aren't blocked or carb vents for that matter, best go through & check all those can be blown through.

Then after that try running it up your street, nothing like a steep hill will throw up issues.

Skunk
24th March 2009, 12:05
All the basics are OK - still to double check the primary. Static seems fine so we'll do the hill.
Got that Trudes?...

F5 Dave
24th March 2009, 12:20
If it were a dirtbike I'd say check the float vents tubes aren't blocked. I assume you have taken out the emulsion tube to check for blockages, crumbs maybe you can't int those 'iddle carbs.

Trudes
24th March 2009, 12:23
Sweet as. :)

Trudes
14th April 2009, 17:55
Rangi has been turned into Super Rangi!!

So, Rangi went to the SkunkWorks bucket factory for some diagnostics to figure out his fueling issues and rolled out two weeks later a different bike!!!
Sketchy_Racer (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=3231) offered to do some tuning on him to make him run a bit nicer for nanna here and so we could put my larger carb on and get him running. What he's done I don't entirely understand, (maybe he might like to tell us, but maybe it's his secret;)) all I know is that he is one sweet sweet little bucket now!:wari:

I was warned not to be too upset if he didn't run too well on Saturday as his tuning wasn't completely how Glen wanted it yet, so I had braced myself for not getting in much Rangi time for our Easter Bucket GP!

Jumped on at the Slipway on Saturday and took him out for a spin, just taking it quietly just in case and kind of waiting for something to happen.... nothing did, well nothing bad anyway. I think Glen could see what I thought when I pulled back into the pits with a large grin on my face! What a cool bucket!!!:yes:

Everyone took him for a ride, even Kendog "I hate 2 strokes" thought he was cool! We did the whole day including both points races (ok, I didn't win, in fact I think I came last in both, but I didn't care, I finished and my bucket is wicked!!) So happy camper here went home with a huge smile and very much looking forward to the next day at Kaitoke after we did some quick repairs of an engine bolt that had wriggled itself loose and adjusting the rear brake so it wasn't constantly dragging.

The next day we went out onto the track, Rangi's engine was still beaut, but I was having some issues with changing up gears. Came in, Skunk adjusted the gear linkage for me as we'd had it off the night before and it wasn't quite back in the right spot. Went out again for our first practice race, kept slipping gears, lined up for the race start, got off the line, into second gear, third.... no, can't get it into third, nope stuck in second, back to first ok, up to second... no. Shit! So pulled off the track and sat out the race waiting to roll back to the pits. Skunk, Kendog and Sketchy had a fiddle with him, but alas, not something that can be fixed today. So Rangi was parked up to look pretty in the sun for the day :(

Nevermind, shit happens, off to scab up a ride for the rest of the day. Back on to Andrew Adlam's trusty FXR for the rest of the day, I did try to not come last for him, and I did manage it on the last race because some people crashed, so the attrition card won for me again!!:laugh:

All in all, had a good weekend! Thanks to Nudemetalz for organising the racing; Kendog for his patience, encouragement and for not passing me in really shitty places; Andrew Adlam for lending me his FXR again; Sully60 for walking the track with me, tips, encouragement and the offer of The Sled; Skunk for all your encouragement and hard work (I know I'm hard work); and Sketchy for all your knowledge and tireless hard work on Rangi!!! :hug:
Rangi will ride again!!!:woohoo:
Here's some pics courtesy of Skunk Control (thanks!! :))
Me and Rangi; Sketchy riding him how he should be riden; and Sully stunting.

Kendog
14th April 2009, 20:51
You sure looked like you were having fun on the Saturday. And you didn't come last in the second race, I did cause I couldn't get past you :angry2:

Rangi is an awesome bucket, I look forward to many battles between him the the Ghost.

koba
20th April 2009, 07:24
Rangi is one sweet bucket! :woohoo:

Skunk
20th April 2009, 09:12
Rangi is one sweet bucket! :woohoo:
And getting sweeter thanks to Sketchy.

Number One
20th April 2009, 17:44
COME to me Rangi you sweet and grunty little maori...let me ride you! :drool:

Go orn go orn go orn go orn ;)

Trudes
26th April 2009, 16:46
The weather was shithouse, but my little Rangi is a super bucket!! He went all day, never missed a beat thanks to Sketchy and Skunk's hard work and fine tuning on him :hug:
Rangi's a dream to ride, wheelies off the line, and then again in second hehe:msn-wink: Got great starts in both races, lead for a time in the first race until my bucket sister Number One passed me and then someone else snuck past me a while after that and then we just circulated making sure the others didn't catch us, so finished :third: Yahhh!!
The weather really was pretty miserable so we changed track direction and decided to do a 5 lap warm up with a 10 lap points race.
Got a good start again, Str8jacket got ahead of me at the start and then slowly drifted away from me. I could hear someone behind me so I kept my lines as tight as I dared in the wet and rode the clutch to get out of the corners. Must have worked as he tried to pass me on the second to last lap by coming up the inside and out braking me. It would have worked too if it hadn't been so wet and he lost the front end and went for a slide almost into us. Rangi's brakes had warmed up by this point so we hauled up and avoided the bike and then managed to just avoid fallen rider and get round the corner to come :second: :woohoo:
I am tickled pink!! What a wicked bike!!
I :love: him!!! :D

Kendog
26th April 2009, 17:12
Awesome riding out there babe, well done :hug:

Number One
26th April 2009, 17:28
You and that sexy maori were flying today and so smooth and defensive of line - infact with the extra speed in corners and slightly different corner entry attitude you are getting bloody harder to pass ;)

I had to plan and line up that pass and it didn't get pulled off until 2 laps of following - You go girl and Rangi

Str8 Jacket
26th April 2009, 17:39
Fauck yeah chick, what the hell did you have for breakfast this morning?! Awesome riding today! :sunny:

Trudes
26th April 2009, 17:57
Porridge FTW!!!!

Str8 Jacket
26th April 2009, 18:08
Porridge FTW!!!!

Giggidy Giggidy!! :yeah:

Lissa
29th April 2009, 12:43
Right, how do I find out when you are racing? Me and elle want to come along and support you chickies! And I want to check out the Rangi!

Trudes
29th April 2009, 12:49
That would be awesome!!! Our next points round is the 17th of May at the Kaitoke kart track, would love to see you both there!!:woohoo:

laserracer
29th April 2009, 13:13
:woohoo:Well Done Trudes..keep up the good work:woohoo:

Skunk
29th April 2009, 13:32
Right, how do I find out when you are racing? Me and elle want to come along and support you chickies! And I want to check out the Rangi!
Try this website... www.bucketracing.co.nz

Lissa
29th April 2009, 13:42
Cool at Kaitoke, I will be there on the 17th with the kiddies too.

Thanks Skunk!

helenoftroy
29th April 2009, 15:46
Aint it fun!!

Great reading bout you girls out there and doing it!!:woohoo:

so looking forward to racing my own wee bucket next week!!:argh::ride:

Bring it on!!:yes::yes:

( my poor young ones having a mum like me!!lol)

craisin
2nd May 2009, 03:41
well done:niceone:

Kendog
14th June 2009, 19:53
I got to ride Rangi for a few laps at the end of the racing today. What an awesome little bike, it's so easy to flick around and the engine is sooooo smooth.

Great work everyone involved in putting this bucket together, it rocks :Punk:

Trudes
14th June 2009, 20:02
I got to ride Rangi for a few laps at the end of the racing today. What an awesome little bike, it's so easy to flick around and the engine is sooooo smooth.

So you've changed your mind about 2 strokes? They ARE kewl eh!

Kendog
14th June 2009, 20:21
So you've changed your mind about 2 strokes? They ARE kewl eh!

This one certainly is.

But I still love the 4.

nudemetalz
14th June 2009, 21:23
Just has a little "traction issues" in the pit area, ay Trudes,..... :doh::chase:

Number One
14th June 2009, 21:49
tee hee hee I got a run down of it when Sully got home ;)

quallman1234
15th June 2009, 03:49

I too had a go on Rangi, what a beast!. Good job too sketchy for doing such a awesome job on the engine :), Silky smooth! and free reving.
Too bad it was slightly wet, so i didn't try too push it.

gav
15th June 2009, 18:41
I too had a go on Rangi, what a beast!. Good job too sketchy for doing such a awesome job on the engine :), Silky smooth! and free reving.
Too bad it was slightly wet, so i didn't try too push it.
Why did you need to push it? Did it run out of petrol or something? :laugh:

Trudes
11th August 2009, 09:57
Took Rangi out to Kaitoke yesterday to have a wee play....
F5Dave mentioned to me about the possibility of changing his front sprocket (a 13) to an 11 so that I can get him into 6th gear at Kaitoke, so after talking to Boyles and finding I couldn't get an 11 front sprocket and some calculating of numbers we decided to get the same ratio I could put a 47 rear sprocket on instead.
So we did that over the weekend and after telling Skunk, Sketchy and Quallman what I'd done and some sharp intakes of breath and comments of "I was tapping it out in 6th at the Slipway before" and "That thing already wheelied in 1st and 2nd... are you sure you know what you're doin?" I figured I'd test it and see before I put the old sprocket back on and learned to ride faster.
Admittedly I didn't try any standing starts to see what kind of evil it would produce, but I'm now getting the full benefit of having 6 gears. However, I'm not entirely convinced and am thinking I should get a 43 rear sprocket and try that..... oh the possibilities.... :confused:

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 12:06
Will take you a little time to get used to more gears but you should have noticed that it was more spritely in between gears. No point having 6 if you only use 4.

I had said I'd get a 12, 13 & 14 & an 11 if you could get it. I've been searching for 11 & no dice. If it wheelies too much move the seat further or bars lower.

Trudes
11th August 2009, 12:08
Yeah the bars do need lowering, looking at putting some new forks on so we can do that, got a new bottom for him too, just need to fit it.... and I need to remind myself to lean forward upon launch!!!

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 12:09
. . "I was tapping it out in 6th at the Slipway before" ...

Yeah right, I don't even do that on the fiddy

Trudes
11th August 2009, 12:10
Yeah right, I don't even do that on the fiddy

That wasn't me.... that was Glen :crybaby:

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 12:11
On the H I used to sit on the tank to race start, but it helped that it was fairly flat with the seat. Would still come up, sometimes into 3rd.

So how did it feel with lower gearing? Did you suss the new gear change spots & how was acceleration?

nudemetalz
11th August 2009, 12:12
I would have thought an 11 tooth sprocket would be quite hard on a chain (no, not hard-on !!), but I guess we're not talking 180hp.

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 12:14
No drama on a 420 chain, bad on a 520. Bigger is better, but having a good range of gearing is a boon.

Trudes
11th August 2009, 12:18
On the H I used to sit on the tank to race start, but it helped that it was fairly flat with the seat. Would still come up, sometimes into 3rd.

So how did it feel with lower gearing? Did you suss the new gear change spots & how was acceleration?

It felt like it was just constantly reving, first is a bit of a nightmare, thinking I might have to rev the snot out of it and dump the clutch in 2nd to get a start without it doing uncontrolable wheelies.... but will give that one a bit of practice I think. It didn't seem to do much in 2nd to 4th gears, just rev and it pulled quite well in 5th and 6th... Nigel said I was pulling away from him on the straights. There were a couple of different gear change spots, but basically instead of going around corners in 3rd I was usuing 4th and the clutch instead.... will take some getting used to, but it was good to get it into 6th! (Oh, and I've fixed my fuel line like you said too, but it seemed to flood itself a couple of times yesterday which was strange).

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 12:42
Once you get going the higher gears will be closer together which is good & if it is dusting the 150 all the better.

Keeps constantly revving? erm sounds like clutch slip, maybe ask someone to ride it to see what they think. You should have noticed a real urgency increase.

With the fuel the level may be a bit high, or the sealing is a bit average & with the better fuel supply it is showing up. Those tanks rust pretty bad so they will have some junk in them. Clean the carb out & check for debris, if there is you may need to seal the tank or make a tank like Fishies 50.

nudemetalz
11th August 2009, 12:49
..........& if it is dusting the 150 all the better....

:bash: :bleh: for now. We'll get Nigel trained.

Trudes
11th August 2009, 13:59
Once you get going the higher gears will be closer together which is good & if it is dusting the 150 all the better.

Keeps constantly revving? erm sounds like clutch slip, maybe ask someone to ride it to see what they think. You should have noticed a real urgency increase.

With the fuel the level may be a bit high, or the sealing is a bit average & with the better fuel supply it is showing up. Those tanks rust pretty bad so they will have some junk in them. Clean the carb out & check for debris, if there is you may need to seal the tank or make a tank like Fishies 50.

When I say it just revs , it's still pulling, but just doesn't seem to have that urgent feel like it does in 5th and 6th, but will get Glen to have a ride or you can if you want, to see if it's just me or it does have a bit of a slip in there. Admittedly I wasn't riding it hard (even for me) was busy counting gears to make sure I actually hit 6th down the straights and it definitely had some urgency still going into 6th :)

My tank was pretty rusty, but seems to be getting better, less crap coming through and the fuel filter is definitely making a huge difference. I'll give it all a clean before I ride it next and see how much crap comes out.

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 15:35
I'd love to ride it, really I would. I'd even eye up a CX400 Euro:Oops:. X-ray at end of month, I'll know then.

Those tanks are pretty cruddy 20mumble years on, my roadbike RG50 was a real pain (hehe, it's 2nd engine may have come out of Rangi). The silt that comes out can often get through a filter but may cause issues. The thick stuff blocks tank outlets. Then they rust in the corners (same as Nud's 150). A dose of POR15 sealant or a gut & small tank would make the issue go away -unless yours is a particularly good example.

nudemetalz
11th August 2009, 16:38
On my new frame (the alloy Gixxer one) for Lady P 2010 project, I'm going to chop off the bottom of the tank and make a small one as you mention. Best way of avoiding the crud-silt problem, IMO.

F5 Dave
11th August 2009, 17:42
My old 50 had a Carbon Kevlar tank as the old one died (sold it with old frame), it had smaller capacity (only really need 5-6l). Can't find a scanned picture that isn't painted.

Have a look at Fishies 50. Could be a opportunity to slim the tank section down.

Trudes
11th August 2009, 18:08
POR15... where do I source this wonderful thing? I've washed it with a ton of meths and quite a bit of crap came out, so I'm willing to try more concoctions.

F5 Dave
12th August 2009, 19:48
um, not sure, got my last dose off a friend who had it in bulk. POR are generally known for paint but do other products like this. Try google or TM or a bike shop at a stretch. Kreem is another good product. There are crap sealers out there too. Takes a good weekend (elapsed) pissing around, but is pretty easy, I can talk you through it if you get some.

Actually they are usually too much for a small bucket tank, if you want to go 1/2s I have to do my Stinger tank at some stage.

Trudes
12th August 2009, 20:35
um, not sure, got my last dose off a friend who had it in bulk. POR are generally known for paint but do other products like this. Try google or TM or a bike shop at a stretch. Kreem is another good product. There are crap sealers out there too. Takes a good weekend (elapsed) pissing around, but is pretty easy, I can talk you through it if you get some.

Actually they are usually too much for a small bucket tank, if you want to go 1/2s I have to do my Stinger tank at some stage.

Sounds like a plan to me! :niceone:

F5 Dave
12th August 2009, 21:23
While I was surfin' http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Fuel-tanks/auction-235669129.htm

Trudes
12th August 2009, 21:56
Geeze you're good! I'm keen if you are.

F5 Dave
12th August 2009, 21:59
sure why not.

Now I have to decide which tank I'd do (or if any are worth saving).

F5 Dave
12th August 2009, 22:39
News in Mal sez Classic Cycles had some for $70 a while back, may be worth a call. This stuff will seal a tank from rust crap, but not hold together a failing rusted out tank. Best to patch any holes first if afflicted.

Trudes
13th August 2009, 06:56
Sweet. My tank's not too bad, just has a bit of rust going on and a few hunks of shit in the bottom that I can't get out, not too bad really, so this stuff sounds like the biz!

Trudes
1st October 2009, 08:21
So Rangi's got himself a new bottom! Looks pretty sweet I reckon, improves where I sit on him too so it's not all for looks ;)

bungbung
1st October 2009, 09:29
POR15 tank repair kits are available from the Speed supplies shop in High st, Lower Hutt

F5 Dave
1st October 2009, 09:40
I'll go have a look in the lunchtime if I remember, it's just around the corner from me, whatever they call themselves.

Trudes
1st October 2009, 09:57
My tank doesn't seem to be chucking out as much rust and crap as it did and the filter I have picks up the rest, so not sure I need to go through the POR treatment.

F5 Dave
1st October 2009, 10:09
ok I'll go price it up for giggles. I'm in no rush myself.

My experience has been that once they start rusting they keep doing so & that filters strain the big bits out but the silt gets through & reforms into bigger bits in the bowls after a while. If you regularly clean the bowl & keep an eye on it you may be fine.

Voltaire
1st October 2009, 10:10
The POR tank sealer is enought to do several small tanks, I did a 10 gallon Kombi one and it works well, and lots left over.
If tank is rusty you will need the metal ready POR product.
For light rust, put in a handfull of very small nuts and swirl them around, removes lots ot light rust.
Colorworks here in Auckland are the POR 15 agents.

F5 Dave
2nd October 2009, 13:50
Oh yeah I dropped in on Road & Track (down from Pack & Slave). $135, hmm yeah thought so, it's the Car one. . . . - Oh hold on, to the left the Motorcycle one is $72.50. Seems fair. Rated for 20l tank which will do two buckets easy, last time I used a car one, or rather 1/4 of a car one a friend had.

As I said I don't have plans to do my Stinger tank yet (I saw it the other day) but if feel like sharing later on it'll be cool.

Trudes
2nd October 2009, 14:00
Cool. We know where it is when (or if) we decide yo swish our tanks (unless someone else with a shitty gritty tank comes along and wants to go halves).

Trudes
11th October 2009, 18:07
I had a mixed day. I wanted to go out, go hard and fall off today, and as much as my friend Mudflaps tried to help me out with that by ramming into my exhaust, sadly I didn't even know he'd hit me until my footpeg went floppy and I looked over my sholder to see Dave splattered on the track. So after the boys took pity on me and built me a new footrest out of wire and cable ties (in true bucket style) I was back out on the track.
Alas Rangi was sulking at being used as a rudder and started playing up. Sketchy took him for a ride and diagnoised it as a coil issue. Unfortunately for him his bike had already spat the dummy so we decided to rape and pilage. So between races I got the new coil in and back onto the track. Still managed last :woohoo::rolleyes: but Rangi was running a bit better. Sketchy took him out for a race in A grade and then I went out again. Stalled on the starting line and couldn't get him started again, so missed most of the practice race. Same happened in the last points race also and I thought I'd have to sit out a points race for the first time this year. However as I was pushing Rangi back to the pits I stopped and turned around in time to see carnage at the far end of the track and the red flag out. (Poor Skunk's bad luck was my good fortune!) "Ow ow!!" I thought and managed to get Rangi started again and out we went to start the last race. Had to keep the revs up to stop from stalling but we started and finished. Poor sick Rangi! Some work to be done to make the poor little sick Maori feel better, but he's a tough little two smoker and he'll be back!!
Anyway, I still had fun and enjoyed the day in the sun!:niceone:

Trudes
30th December 2009, 12:11
So had a few repairs to do on Rangi after being crashed during the endurance race the month before, also had to replace the righthand side footpeg hanger from being snapped from another accident (thanks for the loaner Sully) and general maintenance stuff and changing gearing for the longer track.
So with all that done and dusted and an uneventful and slow trip to Taupo in the van, we were set for two days of racing. First day the Bucket class (with what looked like a full field) got two practice sessions in for the day. Rangi was running good apart from top gear slippage along the back straight occasionally.
Second day and rain was predicted, but lucky for us the track managed to dry out from each shower before we hit the track. I was feeling comfortable on Rangi and it felt good to let him stretch his wee legs a bit on a bigger track. Was a little tentative about being carved up and knocked off like I had been last year, so often spent a bit of time riding listening for lapping riders and trying to stay in the middle of the track so they could pass me on either side (which they did, Rangi Sandwich anyone?):laugh:
I came consistently last, but I was just happy to be out there having fun and learning some new tricks, I didn't fall off or blow up or break anything so basicaly I achieved what I wanted. :)
I'll be back next year to give it another go!!:D

Number One
30th December 2009, 14:31
Cool stuff!!! I take it you are home then?!
;)

Trudes
30th December 2009, 16:34
Cool stuff!!! I take it you are home then?!
;)

Aye! That we are.

Trudes
8th April 2010, 08:56
Just some photos courtesy of Her-B4, thanks Chrissie!

Genie
8th April 2010, 09:01
awesome pics there Trudes, looks like you were having a fine time. Well done, looking good!

Trudes
8th April 2010, 09:36
All credit to Chrissie, she made me look fast in those pics! I'm slower than a wet week, being lapped by 14 year olds and generally giving everyone passing practice, but still having fun. :D

Number One
8th April 2010, 11:35
YOU too modest and tough on yourself.

Noice pics too looking good out there :niceone:

Kendog
8th April 2010, 16:51
That pass you put on Fish up the inside in the first photo was awesome.

fi5hy
8th April 2010, 17:40
I fucking shat myself when young Rangi pulled that move on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good pass tho

Number One
8th April 2010, 17:50
So kay Fish...one day you'll look that good too..if you keep trying that is ;)

speedpro
8th April 2010, 21:24
Looking good. Hard to pick the old bike there, very flash. You need to get rid of that pipe though.

Trudes
9th April 2010, 07:28
Thanks Mike! :) Yep, that pipe's still a work in progress, Sketchey's going to give that chamber the bash for me first ;)

F5 Dave
9th April 2010, 18:10
Haven't come across any cheap rims, did see these as I was trawling, but $215US. Must be something that uses a 3 or 3.5" 17 rim.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/excel_dimpled_aluminum_rims.asp (http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/excel_dimpled_aluminum_rims.asp)

Trudes
9th April 2010, 21:15
Wooo that's a lot of $$ I might have to stop buying.... whatever the hell I keep spending my money on and start saving! Thanks for that Dave, I haven't had time to have a look around for anything yet, but when I do is it worth asking around wreckers for a rim like that? (and some new forks :()

speedpro
9th April 2010, 23:13
The ESE guys have been getting cheap rims from somewhere. PM TZ350

koba
9th April 2010, 23:54
Haven't come across any cheap rims, did see these as I was trawling, but $215US. Must be something that uses a 3 or 3.5" 17 rim.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/excel_dimpled_aluminum_rims.asp (http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/excel_dimpled_aluminum_rims.asp)

Yummy!!!!!!!!

Trudes
10th April 2010, 04:40
Do I need just the rear or a front also?

Oh and if anyone has any decent quality FXR or similar forks they don't need, I need some new forks, mine are starting to become an issue.

TZ350
10th April 2010, 08:17
Mini or Junior Motard rims at 2.5X17F and 3.5X17R, are just the ticket for buckets running GP125 slicks.

We tried some Chinese rims we imported ourselves, but they were not very good, last year we used complete wheels imported from Taiwan for Chambers bike and they were very good but are hard to get.

Second pic is of tubless spoked wheels.

Mudflaps
10th April 2010, 09:21
[QUOTE=Trudes;1129713236]Wooo that's a lot of $$ I might have to stop buying.... whatever the hell I keep spending my money on and start saving! /QUOTE]

One word, three sylables...Tup pa ware:wari::yes:

koba
10th April 2010, 21:54
Mini or Junior Motard rims at 2.5X17F and 3.5X17R, are just the ticket for buckets running GP125 slicks.

We tried some Chinese rims we imported ourselves, but they were not very good, last year we used complete wheels imported from Taiwan for Chambers bike and they were very good but are hard to get.

Second pic is of tubless spoked wheels.

Yum.

What are they worth?

Henk
11th April 2010, 08:04
From the picture titles they are talon wheels. I'm guessing they are talon hubs laced to excel rims. Very tasty, and if I'm right you don't even wnat to think about what they'd cost.

Buckets4Me
11th April 2010, 08:32
From the picture titles they are talon wheels. I'm guessing they are talon hubs laced to excel rims. Very tasty, and if I'm right you don't even wnat to think about what they'd cost.

dont think they where that costly

Henk
11th April 2010, 08:45
I seem to recall them being $1500 a set or more. The only ones I can find doing a quick search are a set for a CRF that sold second hand on Trade me for $905.
Would love to be proven wrong.

Buckets4Me
11th April 2010, 09:27
I seem to recall them being $1500 a set or more. The only ones I can find doing a quick search are a set for a CRF that sold second hand on Trade me for $905.
Would love to be proven wrong.

$400 ??? for the black set that Chambers got the first time
cant see them paying that much again ??? but would have to ask them

Bert
11th April 2010, 10:03
Mate, If you could find them for around 400, I sure there will be somef interest. better still 200-300....

TZ350
11th April 2010, 10:27

Yes the pics are of Talon wheels and they are very expensive. I posted the pic to show what mini motards looked like and that they could be made tubless.

John Conner was selling some mini motard wheels from Taiwan for $400 something a set. Nobody at buckets was really interested in them although they looked the same as the Talon ones and probably just as good.

Chambers brought some and we have found the original source for them in Taiwan but they are hard to get in small qty’s.

Arronduke
12th April 2010, 21:50
TZ350 any chance you are getting any more?

I would be keen for a set if anyone wanted to put some numbers togeather.
I would pay up to $400 I think thats a good price, got some built for my Katana 3.5 x 5.0 and they where $1700.

I have found some places in China and the minimum is about 10sets... and that is for the rim only. This is just looking on their web site. Others minimum is 1000 sets.

Buckets4Me
13th April 2010, 06:11
TZ350 any chance you are getting any more?

I would be keen for a set if anyone wanted to put some numbers togeather.
I would pay up to $400 I think thats a good price, got some built for my Katana 3.5 x 5.0 and they where $1700.

I have found some places in China and the minimum is about 10sets... and that is for the rim only. This is just looking on their web site. Others minimum is 1000 sets.

he he so did team E.S.E what a big hassel
the rims where cheap and they didn't cost much either (dont go there)

TZ350
13th April 2010, 06:42
I have found some places in China and the minimum is about 10sets... and that is for the rim only.

We were not impressed with the Chinese rims we got, they were soft and not dimensionaly consistent.

F5 Dave
13th April 2010, 09:09
Quick lets start a trade agreement with them

Trudes
13th April 2010, 13:07
If you do, can you all piss off and do it somewhere else? (unless I get free rims out of it ;)) :)

F5 Dave
13th April 2010, 14:46
No no sorry I out rank you (I have 31 more posts, so there). MFAT can set up this thread as re-instigating talks with China. They agree to buy from us say a knub of butter & they get to flood our market with enough cheap shitty goods to sink the place & send any remaining manufacturers out of business. Yes the product is worthless, but it shure is cheep Elmer. Huk.

Trudes
31st May 2010, 19:04
Rangi's new bling..... "I'm a real bucket now!" Crazy bastard!

Str8 Jacket
31st May 2010, 19:09
Your van has a bit of rust round the door Trudes.... You trying to 'out Rangi' us? :laugh:

Trudes
31st May 2010, 19:11
Your van has a bit of rust round the door Trudes.... You trying to 'out Rangi' us? :laugh:

Yeah eh, about time I 'de-rusted' it again. Fucking rustin' white vans!

Str8 Jacket
31st May 2010, 19:19
Yeah eh, about time I 'de-rusted' it again. Fucking rustin' white vans!

hehehe, lucky Rangi looks awesome! :niceone:

Number One
31st May 2010, 19:49
mm Rangi looks shexxy - good work Trudes :niceone:

Arronduke
31st May 2010, 20:03
The pipe looks mean... are you still running 18inch rims?

speedpro
31st May 2010, 20:18
The pipe looks mean... are you still running 18inch rims?

"still"?? They've always been 17"

Trudes
31st May 2010, 20:26
Indeed they're 17"s..... and about to get some slicks put on, I've worn those TT900s out Mike. Oh, and that pipe has made him a mean mean machine!! I call it "The Chamber of Death" :laugh:
I'm still a little scared! Sketchy rode it and said it was wicked..... we have video footage of him pulling a wheelie in 4th gear! (as well as in the pits :spanking:)

Pumba
31st May 2010, 20:32
I'm still a little scared!

Take a concrete pill!!!

hmurphy
31st May 2010, 20:42
Mmmm... Giz a go?

Ray LeCheminant
31st May 2010, 20:44
Rangi's new bling..... "I'm a real bucket now!" Crazy bastard!

Mean looking bucket....nice detail in the finishing - there are so many smart looking buckets turning up now !!!!!

Connor's bucket unveil should be soon....getting the panels painted....mechanically ready ( I HOPE)

Trudes
31st May 2010, 20:48
Take a concrete pill!!!

Haha, I'm trying to find some!! I'll get there, it's just not the sweet little tame thing it used to be, I need to learn to ride it all over again so I don't keep getting ALL the power suddenly coming on when I'm half way round the corners.

Trudes
31st May 2010, 20:51
Mmmm... Giz a go?
Sure, we could have a swap sometime.

Mean looking bucket....nice detail in the finishing - there are so many smart looking buckets turning up now !!!!!

Dutchee
31st May 2010, 21:22
Looking very sexy, now you've just got to get a chance to ride him. :)

hmurphy
31st May 2010, 21:24
Wait... you serious? That would be awesome! Not many people ride my bike and like it though haha. It's slow and a pig. But I personally reckon it handles well and brakes are good. Dunno why I'm trying to advertise my bucket, that's a bad idea haha. I'll just say, yup keeeen as to have a crack on rangi! Must say, you have rangi looking pretty mint

Henk
31st May 2010, 21:34
That's purdy

Trudes
31st May 2010, 21:49
Got some more new stuff to put on some time too, think I may need to be able to stop now that he goes a bit faster!
Yes some fine weather would be good!
Sure you can have a ride Hamish.

gatch
31st May 2010, 21:50
Looks good !

Bert
31st May 2010, 22:41
Looking great trudes. Watch out Nigel....

speedpro
31st May 2010, 22:42
think I may need to be able to stop now that he goes a bit faster!

The brakes on it are very good I reckon. you might just need a new set of Vesrah red backs. I've ridden it at Wanganui and they passed that test OK.

Trudes
1st June 2010, 07:03
The brakes on it are very good I reckon. you might just need a new set of Vesrah red backs. I've ridden it at Wanganui and they passed that test OK.

Combination between the brakes and the forks being a bit dodgy (bottoms out a lot and gets the massive shudder action) I think, anyway I scored myself some FXR forks and brakes so going to fit those and see how it goes.

Number One
1st June 2010, 08:44
....gets the massive shudder action

*shudder* oooo that boy can buck too!

Arronduke
1st June 2010, 21:16
Trudes,

You got the FXr stuff OK then?
I wrapped it in enough shit it should have taken you a week to unwrap it....

Trudes
2nd June 2010, 07:02
Trudes,

You got the FXr stuff OK then?
I wrapped it in enough shit it should have taken you a week to unwrap it....
Yes thanks, everything arrived safe and sound and yes, very well wrapped, thanks for that! I was so stressed that day that it was a bit like Xmas and therapy at the same time unwrapping it all!! :)

Arronduke
2nd June 2010, 21:27
Cool... your bike certainly looks cool... love that pipe...

Bring on the new front end...

Trudes
13th June 2010, 14:23
Put my "new-to-me" slicks on today. I haven't had slicks before so it should be interesting..... the bike's so small that I should be able to take the tight inside line everywhere now, mwhahahahahahaha. Hopefully the weather's good on Thursday.... Thursday = Test day!! :banana:

speedpro
13th June 2010, 22:27
so we should be seeing photos of chamfered pegs Thu night??

Trudes
14th June 2010, 07:08
Hopefully not!! I wanna learn how to get my knee down like all the cool kids!! ;)

Ray LeCheminant
14th June 2010, 21:21
Put my "new-to-me" slicks on today. I haven't had slicks before so it should be interesting..... the bike's so small that I should be able to take the tight inside line everywhere now, mwhahahahahahaha. Hopefully the weather's good on Thursday.... Thursday = Test day!! :banana:

Hi Trudes....do you have a secret test location?....LOL....we've been looking for one...

Trudes
14th June 2010, 21:27
Hi Trudes....do you have a secret test location?....LOL....we've been looking for one...

Have a mint testing location, but it's no secret. We are members of the Kart club here and have paid for a key to the track which allows us to use it pretty much whenever we like. It's choice!!!!;)

Kendog
14th June 2010, 22:30
Best test location in the country.

Dutchee
14th June 2010, 22:38

Ray, before you ask, no, we're not allowed to practice/test at Mt Wellington. That privilege was taken off us a couple of years back. Would've been good :(
I guess we can all join Wellington, and head down there for testing hehehe :)

Trudes
17th June 2010, 16:19
Slicks are good

F5 Dave
17th June 2010, 17:27
Hoorah, you got out to play today.

See you sunday weather permitting I'd love to have a go.

Mudflaps
17th June 2010, 17:27
Slicks are good

That has to be the shortest report ever!! What are you...a cave woman!?

Soup hot, me cold, bike good

Dutchee
17th June 2010, 17:37
Great enthusiasm for the "new" bits of bike there darlin' ;)
Sheesh, I forgot today was Thursday. I gotta wait 2 days (but am going riding tomorrow on the road bike).
Now, how about a decent report of how Rangi really is.
Michelle

Henk
17th June 2010, 17:41
Nah Slicks are rubbish. I have them on my bike and I keep falling off, must be the tyres.

Buckets4Me
17th June 2010, 18:09
Nah Slicks are rubbish. I have them on my bike and I keep falling off, must be the tyres.

or the RAIN

Buckets4Me
17th June 2010, 18:11
Ray, before you ask, no, we're not allowed to practice/test at Mt Wellington. That privilege was taken off us a couple of years back. Would've been good :(

why not you could go around and around the roundabout all night if you liked
just make sure the boys in blue dont spot you

Ray LeCheminant
17th June 2010, 18:27
High number of boys in blue in pukekohe!!!

Trudes
17th June 2010, 18:38
That has to be the shortest report ever!! What are you...a cave woman!?

Soup hot, me cold, bike good

You. Bike. Go?

Pumba
17th June 2010, 18:47
High number of boys in blue in pukekohe!!!

Yea I know one of them. Not that it would help you, actually if you mentioned my name the ticket could double

Trudes
17th June 2010, 20:01
Hoorah, you got out to play today.

See you sunday weather permitting I'd love to have a go.

Yep, you'll have to have a go and see what you think.

Trudes
17th June 2010, 20:02
Great enthusiasm for the "new" bits of bike there darlin' ;)
Sheesh, I forgot today was Thursday. I gotta wait 2 days (but am going riding tomorrow on the road bike).
Now, how about a decent report of how Rangi really is.
Michelle
Yep I will after racing on Sunday (hopefully a good report :))

Mudflaps
17th June 2010, 21:35
You. Bike. Go?

ug, no

ug, god damn it

ug, still hope ug

Kendog
18th June 2010, 06:17
ug, no

ug, god damn it

ug, still hope ug
Multimeter?

Mudflaps
18th June 2010, 17:22
Multimeter?

Yeah have one now, and brand new wires and brand new plugs. Let the re-wire commence!!

Kendog
18th June 2010, 17:25
Yeah have one now, and brand new wires and brand new plugs. Let the re-wire commence!!
Did you test it last night?
Have you found a six pin plug?

Trudes
18th June 2010, 18:31

Did you test it last night?
Have you found a six pin plug?

Oiii you two, get a room and get outta my thread!!! :laugh:

Henk
18th June 2010, 19:46
Trudes, why would they get out of your thread? They are discussing you, in code.

Trudes
18th June 2010, 20:46
Trudes, why would they get out of your thread? They are discussing you, in code.

Plugs = Tampons....... ? They're getting me a years supply of tampons for my birthday? yippeeeeeee :no:

Henk
18th June 2010, 21:20
If they let you in on the code the conspiracy against you sort of falls apart don't you think?

Trudes
18th June 2010, 21:49
It's ok, I suspect they're both afraid I'm going to kick their arses on Sunday now that Rangi is a BEAST!!! ;)

Ray LeCheminant
18th June 2010, 22:04

LOL - That would be an option I guess.....long drive to test....Countdown's carpark is sounding easier...for now

Trudes
19th July 2010, 07:34
Some pics from yesterday, thanks to Leseid, of Fishy riding Rangi.

Str8 Jacket
19th July 2010, 07:39
Fishy riding Rangi.... heh!

Trudes
19th July 2010, 07:53
Should it be, "Rangi getting a bit fishy"?? :laugh:

F5 Dave
19th July 2010, 10:14
Yeah Fishe put on a good show. Pity I missed my go, but I wanted to see if my bike was still going as I'll probably miss next race & BOB is next after that. {edit forgot moved dates}.

Trudes
20th February 2011, 21:02
Rangi, 80kgs of FURY!! Hahaha!
Anyway, quick update.
Thanks to Skunk, Rangi has had his FXR fork transplant. Tested on Saturday, forks felt good, responsive and stable, brakes felt bad, real bad.
Took it home and changed master cylinders. Felt much better today during racing, brakes still don't feel completely right but they're livable. Love the forks though. Rangi's cool. (hahaha :wings:)

F5 Dave
21st February 2011, 08:28
Well apart from trying to kill me, Rangi was ok & that it has potential. The forks are an improvement from when I rode the bike last in Auckland.

That clutch is just on or off:shit:. Drain oil, pull the cover off, undo the 4 bolts holding the springs down & pull the plates out & let us know what you see. If needs be I'll pop up & look from there.

Also need to find another stiffer spring. Shouldn't be too hard to match something up.

F5 Dave
15th March 2011, 14:17
Rangi seen lurking in the corner of a dark building.

Bad Rangi.:nono: