PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block (vtech)

vtech
20th May 2008, 11:37
Hey all,
I stubled across this site after i began researching motorbikes and the rest of it. It seems well organised and has a good member base so you'll be happy to know im definatly staying around (plus i need the help haha) :yes:

Recently ive become really interested in bikes. My cousin got one a while back (hes a bit older than me) and although ive never been able to ride it (hes jus learning as well) :ride: im really keen on getting into bikes. Ive been doing a lot of research about gear and bikes etc etc. My dad used to ride a gn250 back in his hayday and wants me to get one, but im more interested in the fxr150. Just a quick question, are there any other 150cc bikes around that are decent? I dont really want a 250cc to start with, so anything under that really.

So ive found some decent fxr's on trademe and the likes and i figured i can get one for about $3,500 with gear. Do you guys know any good dealerships around Auckland that might have any?
Im not to sure about buying 2nd bikes either, not knowing there history or anything. Is there any little tests i can do when looking at a bike to pick up the problems etc etc?

And finally, about the BHS test, if ive never ridden a bike before do i need to do a course before i do the test? or do they teach you there?

Cheers guys, sorry about the long winded rant :yawn:

madandy
20th May 2008, 11:51
GIdday & welcome :)

FXR is a fine first bike. Great to see you're allowing a realistic amount for riding gear!
My advise re the BHS test is to go along to one and see what they do...you'll know if you're capable already. You may like to get some practise in first or just give it a whirl. They give you more than one try. Good luck :)

Andy

sugilite
20th May 2008, 12:09
I cannot help you with your questions, but welcome to the site :yes:

vtech
20th May 2008, 12:14
Cheers mate. I just read sarges quide to buying a used bike, that defiantly helped cheers mate i now have a faint idea of what to look for. :msn-wink:

Thanks man, so it is like an actual test, you can fail. Its not like a course where you learn, do they expect you to have experience? Thing is i dont want to buy a bike until ive got my license so are there people that give you training before the BHS and supply there own bikes?

Cheers again

Jase H
20th May 2008, 13:13
Hey, don't worry about not riding a bike before. We all have to start somewhere. I hadn't even sat on a bike before I did mine - scooters while on holiday and that's it. What you can do is find someone who does the BHS courses, which goes straight into the test. That way you get to practice before actually taking the test then walk away with your BHS certificate.

There's a few of them around, but I did mine with John Wright. To do the course and test he will supply bike, helmet and sense of humour. He teaches in South Auckland and he may not be the cheapest around but he's still worth going for because:

He's sponsored by Honda - this means he's teaches with CB250s in an area large enough to get a good speed (for a noob);
He was recommended to me by 2 separate bike shops, neither of which were Honda dealers;
Anyone who can be me through the BHS can't be all that bad :laugh:

All he asks is that you have ridden bycicle (i.e understand balance) and driven manual cars (i.e. understand gear changes). If you can say yes to both, give him a call - he'll sort you out.

vtech
20th May 2008, 13:38
Sweet cheers mate. Yeah ive ridden a bike haha (hasn't everyone) and i learnt to drive in a manual so its safe to say i can do that. I'll look into it, cheers

325rocket
20th May 2008, 18:58
welcome to the site

MIXONE
20th May 2008, 19:09
Welcome aboard and may all your biking days be long ones.

Vacarious
20th May 2008, 19:46
From what ive heard the cbr150 is not the best bike. an fxr would be the way to go.. but have you thought about a gn250 like your old man? cheap to pick up and easy to ride?

And about the BHS, when i did mine in levin, you couldnt fail 'cos thats what the $60 paid for.. But since you know the basics of riding you should be fine either way.

good luck with your riding days and have fun :niceone:

Swoop
21st May 2008, 19:28
Gudday and welcome to the site!

SARGE's thread is a good one.
You might become bored with a 150 quite quickly, so if the option of a 250 comes along, don't be put off.
:ride:

kiwifruit
21st May 2008, 19:43
welcome to the site :)

Pedrostt500
21st May 2008, 20:29
Welcome aboard.

fridayflash
21st May 2008, 20:38
Sweet cheers mate. Yeah ive ridden a bike haha (hasn't everyone) and i learnt to drive in a manual so its safe to say i can do that. I'll look into it, cheers
its interesting about the bicycle/car thing because thats exactly what ive told others who ive taught,and it gives them a lot of confidence to know they have most of the required skills already

fridayflash
21st May 2008, 20:41
also welcome to the site vtech, and dont be afraid to buy before you get licenced,as you mite b able to get your dad or cousin to testride for you
and you can learn to ride in deserted carparks etc

Cave Cleaner
24th May 2008, 19:59
Just a quick question, are there any other 150cc bikes around that are decent? I dont really want a 250cc to start with, so anything under that really.

Have a look at a RG150 suzuki if you can find one. They go well .....

And finally, about the BHS test, if ive never ridden a bike before do i need to do a course before i do the test? or do they teach you there?

Just roll up. No experience needed? :headbang: