PDA

View Full Version : Honda VTR1200 2008.... SV1200 Maybe?

rocketman1
21st May 2008, 20:30
Just looking at what an artist thinks the new VTR1200 Firestorm will look like to replace the discontinued VTR1000.
You bet Suzuki will follow suit with a 1200 or what?

McJim
21st May 2008, 20:33
USD forks on a VTR? You've gotta be shitting me! :rofl: It's just not a VTR or an SV if it doesn't use obsolete technology! Wheres SkidMark?

pritch
21st May 2008, 20:44
Wheres SkidMark?

In the old folks home with his pipe and slippers?

He had a birthday and is probably becoming accustomed to his new found maturity.

Belated best wishes Mark:apint:

fridayflash
21st May 2008, 20:47
is that the new model or just an artists impression?

yod
21st May 2008, 21:02
USD forks on a VTR? You've gotta be shitting me! :rofl: It's just not a VTR or an SV if it doesn't use obsolete technology! Wheres SkidMark?

:killingme

325rocket
21st May 2008, 21:07
that looks awesome. when is it available?

oldguy
21st May 2008, 21:16
Hope they do an SP version, I'D get one.

nallac
21st May 2008, 21:45
thats a nice lookin bike,

Marknz
21st May 2008, 21:49
is that the new model or just an artists impression?

Artists impression... that image has been doing the rounds for months now. Too many old Firestorm/Fireblade parts in the image to justify that particular design... but word on the street is that there will be a brand spanking new VTR in some capacity by the end of the year.

HornetBoy
22nd May 2008, 08:03
Would be nice if they made a stock vtr with USD's and updated brakes etc,but i doubt they would as the whole setup of the vtr1000 is meant to be the low price and kinda tried and true technology ,like the hornet etc.

Their was a nice VTR1000 with cbr1000 headlights and usd setup on TradeMe about a month ago ,dont know if anyone saw that ,was a streetfighter setup tho but still it was pretty "mean" looking.

Cajun
22nd May 2008, 08:06
the new suzuki v-twin is meant to go back to more of a sports bike aka tl instead of basic bike (sv)

vifferman
22nd May 2008, 09:34
Would be nice if they made a stock vtr with USD's and updated brakes etc,but i doubt they would as the whole setup of the vtr1000 is meant to be the low price and kinda tried and true technology ,like the hornet etc.
That's about right.
If you look at the history of the VTR, it was developed largely in the US, to replace the popular 'Hawk' 650 v-twin, and to hook into the v-twin popularity that Ducati's resurgence started. But VTR sales have never been huge, and I personally have doubts about Honda doing anything other than discontinuing it once sales drop right off. Unlike the Hornet, the engine's not derived from anything else, so it's not worth sinking lots of development money into it.

Morcs
22nd May 2008, 10:08
that pic is a photoshop.

Its a 07 cbr 1000 with some old firestorm fairings on it.

Though I do like the idea of a new big twin, as long as they keep them raw and not pansyish like the sv

vifferman
22nd May 2008, 10:20
that pic is a photoshop.
Do you actually read things, Morcs?
Have another look at the first post: "... what an artist thinks the new VTR1200 Firestorm will look like".

FkNAmerican
22nd May 2008, 11:01
Uh.......with the route Honda took for the 1000rr in 2008 I seriously doubt the new VTR will look anything like that artists rendering so its pretty much useless.

imdying
22nd May 2008, 11:40
Though I do like the idea of a new big twin, as long as they keep them raw and not pansyish like the svWhat do you mean by pansyish?

Morcs
22nd May 2008, 13:01
What do you mean by pansyish?

Ill show you what I mean at the drags If you like? :msn-wink:

And No I dont read threads fully. :pinch: Not when I can post uninformed crap instead. :devil2:

imdying
22nd May 2008, 14:00
Ill show you what I mean at the drags If you like? :msn-wink:

And No I dont read threads fully. :pinch: Not when I can post uninformed crap instead. :devil2:Given that my bike is a little lighter than a TLS, has a better power to weight ratio than even a TLR, and considerably more low and midrange torque than the TLS, you might be surprised. Given that it's a TLS though, it doesn't surprise me that you'd be keen on drag rather than circuit racing :buggerd:

I suspect that if you're hoping a new 1200cc Suzuki twin will have dubious handling and a torque curve that's the resultant of insufficient EFI development, which causes a surge in power which further ties the handling up in knots, you'll be disappointed. Probably won't have a choke lever either ;)

Fatjim
22nd May 2008, 14:04
Mate, our bikes are twins.

NighthawkNZ
22nd May 2008, 14:49
That's about right.
If you look at the history of the VTR, it was developed largely in the US, to replace the popular 'Hawk' 650 v-twin, and to hook into the v-twin popularity that Ducati's resurgence started. But VTR sales have never been huge, and I personally have doubts about Honda doing anything other than discontinuing it once sales drop right off. Unlike the Hornet, the engine's not derived from anything else, so it's not worth sinking lots of development money into it.

the vtr in the states is called the Super Hawk

vifferman
22nd May 2008, 15:09
the vtr in the states is called the Super Hawk
No kidding? :eek5:

Yeah, I already knew that - I was a member of the SuperHawk forum when I had a VTR....