PDA

View Full Version : Help! Left indicator's not working!

Metalor
22nd May 2008, 20:26
Well, everything seems to be happening one after the other! New tyres and service on week, then tail light bulb. Couple of weeks later new chain and sprockets... now tonight the indicators decided they don't want to work properly!

They were working ok this morning. As I was on my way home from work, getting onto the north western from port and trying to get change lanes I noticed my left indicator wasn't going on. Front or rear! I tried the right side and that worked fine... for a while.

Tested it later and still no left, and right is playing up now. Doesn't want to go on every time. Sometimes it will, but about half the time it they wont turn on! Does this sound like a fuse?

Bah! This is extremely frustrating! Got no cash to fix this sortta shit, why do I not get paid to be a student?!

Could be worse I guess... :(

Pedrostt500
22nd May 2008, 20:53
ok sounds like you need a course in automotive electrics.
#1 do you have a work shop manual for your bike?
# 2 check there are no lose conections in the indicator circuts.
#3 check for damaged wires particuly at the conections also check for damage to insulation to wires.
#4 check individual components, Ie switches, flasher unit, etc
if you dont own one alrady i sugest you buy a cheap multi meter for testing circuts.
i also suggest that if you do not feel confident in doing the fault finding your self, you seek the advice or help of some one who is and can show you first hand.

Guided_monkey
22nd May 2008, 21:27
Well what ever the problem is it's beginning to sound as if it's a common failure.... ie the indicator relay or the indicator switch block.

If you get completely stuck/getting sorted PM me...... lecky tools I have.

:mellow:

Metalor
22nd May 2008, 21:27
OK, cheers mate. I'll have a look tomorrow morning before I leave, hopefully it's nothing major cos I reeeaaaally don't need this sortta thing right now.

Don't have a manual, but I'm pretty sure the wiring will be much like the GNs.

homer
22nd May 2008, 21:30
try to move the indicator switch to the left and if not going try moving it back to the right just a wee wee bit .
not to the middle just a little to the right , sounds like the switch if playing up

Metalor
22nd May 2008, 21:43
Tried the switch moving thing but to no avail.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that whilst I was fiddling around then gave a and continued riding all of a sudden I felt a huge surge and heard what sounded a bit like a backfire. Any ideas what that could have been?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to this sort of thing.... definately no bike mechanic!

homer
22nd May 2008, 21:48
no cant help , but your not a noob as a noob would nt take any notice , but you have .
:niceone:

FJRider
22nd May 2008, 21:58
try to move the indicator switch to the left and if not going try moving it back to the right just a wee wee bit .
not to the middle just a little to the right , sounds like the switch if playing up

What he said. But crud between the contact points of the switch will do this.
Phillips screwdriver to separate handlebar switch gear holder. 4 screws usually.

Metalor
22nd May 2008, 22:02
Kool, i know how to get into it. had to put new handlebars on after the other ones got bent...

HungusMaximist
22nd May 2008, 22:04
You don't need indicators!

Hand signals in the dark are way more fun! :msn-wink

JeremyW
22nd May 2008, 22:40
Hey bro send me a text if you are around Friday arvo/evening. Come around and I will get it sorted for you. 0272957769.

Metalor
22nd May 2008, 22:46
Hey bro send me a text if you are around Friday arvo/evening. Come around and I will get it sorted for you. 0272957769.

Cheers dude. I've already arranged to hav ea look at it with Squiggles, but if that goes belly up i'll send ya a txt!

Cheers for the offer! :niceone:

JeremyW
22nd May 2008, 22:51
No probs bro. Keep in touch.

Static
22nd May 2008, 22:53
ok i had a similar problem 2 days ago and it turned out to be a loose wire in the indicator its self so may pay to check

Squiggles
22nd May 2008, 23:12
ok i had a similar problem 2 days ago and it turned out to be a loose wire in the indicator its self so may pay to check
yer, I've had that happen, but from memory it only affected the one side of the bike

Ill see you tomorrow afternoon Metalor ;)

sinfull
22nd May 2008, 23:34
No probs bro. Keep in touch.
:jerry:
It has to be in the bar controlls !
I like jeremyW's confidence ! been there before by the sounds ! go have a coffee !
Other than that i like the sound of the surge, wow nosh button ! Cool

JeremyW
23rd May 2008, 00:17
It has to be in the bar controlls !
I like jeremyW's confidence ! been there before by the sounds ! go have a coffee !
Other than that i like the sound of the surge, wow nosh button ! Cool

What have you been smoking?!!!

I want some...

sinfull
23rd May 2008, 00:31
What have you been smoking?!!!

I want some...
Awww nah not tonight haha ! tonight its just bourbon and not much else other than, awww wow the colours !
Lol just letting the fella know to go with instincts ! Mine are the best to run with haha

Metalor
24th May 2008, 20:47
Thanks to all who gave their advice. Got it sorted with Squiggles. When I rode it the next morning it seemed to be working fine, but squiggles gave the switch system a clean up for me anyway, just to make sure it didn't happen again.

Guided_monkey
25th May 2008, 13:10
Another satisfied customer.........