PDA

View Full Version : Otago: Big River Bikers

mbazza
22nd May 2008, 21:47
BIG RIVER BIKERS - BALCLUTHA :clap:

58 bikers - riders - motorcyclists were called together in Balclutha tonight to meet, talk and set up a way of organising day and overnight rides from Balclutha.
The basic plan is to use a phone / text / e-mail tree to let other Balclutha / South Otago bikers know of planned and spur of the 'good day for a ride events'.

All present agreed it was a great idea! As we would. :clap:

The get together is the old 'Wrightsons' car park (now known as 'Delaval Park' (thanks Bill) at 1000 hrs on the designated day.

Some known KiwiBiker names - faces were present! :clap:

The basic info is:

Saturday 31 May 1000 hrs to set off to the 'Brass Monkey'. (Don't wait for Ian, he's going on Friday!)

Sunday 8 June 100 hrs - Balclutha - Port Chalmers for lunch.

My thanks to Stewart H, Darryl & Jenny for their great call to all Balclutha & S.O. bikers.

Why not leave us a reply and we'll have fun trying to work out who you are!

Let's go riding.:clap:
Cheers. mbazza.

scumdog
23rd May 2008, 11:41
I got a call a couple of days ago from a local Ambo officer about a meeting being held at the local Fire Station to gain an indication of interest from riders to forming a group or club for riders in South Otago area.

CB and I went down there last night and found Mbazza and about 52 other interested people there, most known to me, a few not.

Upshot was the forming of Big River Bikers to organise impromptu rides, a meeting point for those heading to rallies etc etc.

All looking good, quite impressed with the turnout on a shitty cold, wet and windy night.

1st BRB ride the weekend after the Brass Monkey.

PS Mods, any chance of this being made a 'sticky'?

scumdog
23rd May 2008, 18:07
NO comments from anybody?
Are MBazza and I the only South Otago KBers???

NighthawkNZ
23rd May 2008, 18:10

I commented on my site... but you not answer me?

FJRider
23rd May 2008, 18:24

I believe there IS a gent down Papatowai way with a Virago, you not remember him ??? (name starts with D)

oldrider
23rd May 2008, 18:42
I am going to start an Otematata riders club. :Pokey: John

Daffyd
23rd May 2008, 19:54
I believe there IS a gent down Papatowai way with a Virago, you not remember him ??? (name starts with D)

's me.....'s me!

Didn't know anything about it, but was home with the 'bot' anyway.

Great idea.

McJim
23rd May 2008, 19:58
I pass through Balclutha sometimes. does that count?

Lemme know when you fellas are planning a trip South and I can meet you halfway.

FJRider
23rd May 2008, 20:17
I am going to start an Otematata riders club. :Pokey: John

So you will be the VICE(supervisor)president ??? I might join the Alexandra branch.

FJRider
23rd May 2008, 20:20
I pass through Balclutha sometimes. does that count?

Lemme know when you fella are planning a trip South and I can meet you halfway.

Have you come across a BIG guy on a Aspencade TRIKE. Used to ride a Guzzi ? (charlie M)

McJim
23rd May 2008, 20:24
Have you come across a BIG guy on a Aspencade TRIKE. Used to ride a Guzzi ? (charlie M)

Nope, but then I only moved down here 6 months ago. (haven't met too many locals) However the fella I bought the house from had a trike (I never saw it so dunno what kind) and the fella before him that had this house had a collection of old Brits and a Bentley.

mbazza
23rd May 2008, 21:00
Cheers McJim, will PM you with what is planned beyond the info above. Cheers.

mbazza
23rd May 2008, 21:03
Hi Daffyd, sorry to hear you were crook. great turn out as Scumdog said, plenty of people with cruisers like yours at this meeting. I'll keep you in the loop. Can I pass your details to the call list organiser? Cheers.

Daffyd
23rd May 2008, 21:16
Hi Daffyd, sorry to hear you were crook. great turn out as Scumdog said, plenty of people with cruisers like yours at this meeting. I'll keep you in the loop. Can I pass your details to the call list organiser? Cheers.

Definitely. Can't guarantee attendance at all meetings, but would like to know what's going on.

Steam
24th May 2008, 14:26

Charlie! I met him at the Beaumont Rally, he's a real talker! Eccentric as, but a real nice old fella.

NighthawkNZ
24th May 2008, 14:33

yes charlie, chucky...met him many times... xaria says vodaka pine apple... yummy ;)

scumdog
24th May 2008, 15:31
I commented on my site... but you not answer me?

Answer there now, the whole thing is a bit informal at the moment, no doubt we'll link up with other groups as time goes by.

Daffyd
24th May 2008, 16:44
BIG RIVER BIKERS - BALCLUTHA :clap:

Saturday 31 May 1000 hrs to set off to the 'Brass Monkey'. (Don't wait for Ian, he's going on Friday!)

Cheers. mbazza.

Just a friendly warning to anyone attending the Brass Monkey.

June 1 is Gypsy Day, so watch out for cowshit on the roads!

mbazza
24th May 2008, 17:53
A good point Daffyd! You'd think they might be out on their bikes instead. Cheers.

FJRider
24th May 2008, 19:07
yes charlie, chucky...met him many times... xaria says vodaka pine apple... yummy ;)

Thats him. the pickled pineapple. Also a fan of Green Ginger Wine combo's.

scumdog
24th May 2008, 19:14
Thats him. the pickled pineapple. Also a fan of Green Ginger Wine combo's.
And the dried apricot soaked in gin...and...

Daffyd
24th May 2008, 19:25

Looks like it's started already...A mate drove back from 'Clutha today and said there was a continuous stream fron 'Clutha to Owaka!

TimeOut
25th May 2008, 19:16

Looks like it's started already...A mate drove back from 'Clutha today and said there was a continuous stream fron 'Clutha to Owaka!

Ya it tends to be Gypsy fortnight these days, spreads the load (no pun intended) for the carriers.

mbazza
25th May 2008, 21:01
Yep, I looped in behind Lake Tuakatoto after lunch and run the bike through piles of splatter! Oh well, cleaning is fun! Cheers.
:nono:

Ruralman
26th May 2008, 23:40

No your bloody not as you well know:Oi:

OK so I've been living in a bit of a cocoon lately (although I did manage a 1500km trip up to Marlborough a fortnight ago on the bike) and I didn't know anything about this meeting and only just noticed the thread.
Good work to MBazza and whoever else has put this group together. Please add me to the mailing list Barry. I won't be going to the Brass but that Port Chalmers idea looks OK

scumdog
27th May 2008, 00:12

OK so I've been living in a bit of a cocoon lately (although I did manage a 1500km trip up to Marlborough a fortnight ago on the bike) and I didn't know anything about this meeting and only just noticed the thread.
Good work to MBazza and whoever else has put this group together. Please add me to the mailing list Barry. I won't be going to the Brass but that Port Chalmers idea looks OK

Hey, welcome along Bruce - I though a bit of a stir might get a result!!:innocent:

Of course this group is VERY discerning....:shutup:

mbazza
27th May 2008, 20:49

G'Day Bruce. I can't take the blame for calling the meeting. I don't have such great ideas! Will add you to Jenny's list. Cheers.

mbazza
27th May 2008, 20:51
Hey, welcome along Bruce - I though a bit of a stir might get a result!!:innocent:

Of course this group is VERY discerning....:shutup:

You. . . . . , me. . . . . Bruce! Yes VERY discerning. Cheers:yes:

Ruralman
4th June 2008, 11:31
So is this ride to Port Chalmers on this Sunday????

scumdog
4th June 2008, 20:39
So is this ride to Port Chalmers on this Sunday????

Sadly not for a couple of us that have to work on Sunday.

But for the rest of you? - Yes!!

oldrider
4th June 2008, 21:32
Answer there now, the whole thing is a bit informal at the moment, no doubt we'll link up with other groups as time goes by.

Otago..Big..River..Bikers! What are the qualifying common denominators? :confused:

1) Otago: Must be from Otago? Does North Otago count? yes..%25

2) Big, A: Must be big guy? Skinny wizened old c*#nt. No..%0

3) Big, B: Must be big river? Waitaki is a big river? Yes..%25

4) River: Must live by a river? Waitaki River. Yes..%25

5) Bikers: Must be a biker? 54yrs riding bikes. Yes..%25.

1,2,4,5, (%75) Suggests that I don't qualify. :oi-grr: (Thinks: rejection not a personal strong suit :crybaby: )

But wait: :Oops:

1,3, 4, 5, (%100.) If these are the required common denominators to enable one to qualify for "Otago Big River Bikers" then I am in! :ride: :jerry:

But wait: :Oops:

Discerning: (adj) Having or showing good judgement or insight. :shifty: (Subjective denominator. Judgement by peers! :doh: )

Conclusion: "Membership by invitation only" . (Oh well) :sleep: Cheers John.

Ruralman
5th June 2008, 14:46
Sadly not for a couple of us that have to work on Sunday.

But for the rest of you? - Yes!!

The weather forecast aint great but Sunday should be a lot better than Sat. I'm going out in a couple of hours for a ride because its such a nice day - and I can:clap:

mbazza
6th June 2008, 21:52
Great idea RM.
May the ancestors of 1000 camel fleas infest your . . . . .
you know the rest! :Pokey:
Excellent day, warm NW and I had to be at work!!!!
Agree, looks like the weather might be against us on Sunday, but at least one of the BRB crew got a ride in today.:niceone:

Ruralman
7th June 2008, 20:37
Great idea RM.
May the ancestors of 1000 camel fleas infest your . . . . .
you know the rest! :Pokey:
Excellent day, warm NW and I had to be at work!!!!
Agree, looks like the weather might be against us on Sunday, but at least one of the BRB crew got a ride in today.:niceone:

I haven't had any emails about this ride - so how do we know if its on or not???
We have a light dusting of snow here at the moment but I don't think there will be much around in the morning - it will probably be farking cold though, but we can dress for that.
Are you going regardless of the weather? - ie whats your "fuck this I'm staying at home" threshold??????

Daffyd
8th June 2008, 09:33
I haven't had any emails about this ride - so how do we know if its on or not???
We have a light dusting of snow here at the moment but I don't think there will be much around in the morning - it will probably be farking cold though, but we can dress for that.
Are you going regardless of the weather? - ie whats your "fuck this I'm staying at home" threshold??????

Two inches of snow/hail here. Normally means it will be thicker on Table Hill.
Way past my "fuck this I'm staying at home" threshold!

Ruralman
8th June 2008, 20:31
Two inches of snow/hail here. Normally means it will be thicker on Table Hill.
Way past my "fuck this I'm staying at home" threshold!

3-4 inches on the ground here this morning was well past my "FTIS@H" threshold as well !! - had a bit of extra balage to feed out as a result which also used up most of the morning
It would be interesting to know whether it still went ahead though - and if not whether there is a Plan B date - Mbazza ?????

Daffyd
8th June 2008, 20:46
Yes, I'd be up for it given better conditions.
As it happens I had 2 lots of visitors this arvo, so I would have missed them.

FJRider
9th June 2008, 18:15
I'm next to the "Big River". Do I qualify ???

scumdog
9th June 2008, 21:02
I'm next to the "Big River". Do I qualify ???

Meh, I suppose we coul call you a 'current' member??:shit:

mbazza
9th June 2008, 21:11

Hi S,
Do you know if this ride went ahead? I didn't even think about it 'cause of the wind! cheers.:(

scumdog
9th June 2008, 21:15
Hi S,
Do you know if this ride went ahead? I didn't even think about it 'cause of the wind! cheers.:(

Nah, I went past the alotted leaving point and never saw a bike - hardly suprising considering!!

FJRider
10th June 2008, 22:10

Not 'mainstream' though...I often go against the 'current'

scumdog
10th June 2008, 22:43
Not 'mainstream' though...I often go against the 'current'

Well if ya don't go with the 'flow' then don't 'bank' on being a 'branch' of BRB!!:devil2:

FJRider
12th June 2008, 18:45
Well if ya don't go with the 'flow' then don't 'bank' on being a 'branch' of BRB!!:devil2:

I've learned the lessons of going against the 'current'(only when the need arises), I enjoy the odd 'rapid' but prefer the steady 'deep and mysterious', not knowing whats around the next 'bend'. I have been acused of being able to be led with a rotten piece of string. 'Floating' along without a care in the world is good.'Till someone rocks my 'boat'.

scumdog
13th June 2008, 12:15
Anyhooo...'drifting' back on topic; BRB are heading off @ 10am (I think) from the old Wrighties car park opposite Caltex and going to Port Chalmers this Sunday.

I won't be there as I am on night-shift Saturday...:argh:

bladerider97
13th June 2008, 16:32
Yes 10 am is correct. Hope the weather is like it has been all this week.

mbazza
13th June 2008, 20:57
Yep ride to Port Chalmers for lunch this Sunday, leave 1000hrs from De Laval Park (old Wrightson's) car park, opposite Balclutha Motors - Caltex.
See ya there!
Cheers . . . . . . . . .:scooter::scooter::scooter:

mbazza
13th June 2008, 20:59
Yes 10 am is correct. Hope the weather is like it has been all this week.

That's the hope. I see Fiday's tv forecast is showers & sun! Will have to wait and see.
Cheers - :banana:

McJim
13th June 2008, 21:27
Someone gimme a shout when youse are heading South?

Cheers.

Ruralman
13th June 2008, 21:54
Anyhooo...'drifting' back on topic; BRB are heading off @ 10am (I think) from the old Wrighties car park opposite Caltex and going to Port Chalmers this Sunday.

I won't be there as I am on night-shift Saturday...:argh:

Me neither unfortunately

scumdog
13th June 2008, 22:08
yeah and I try to join the infernal KB site and i still waiting.... why do I not get those pretty pictures and why I not able to dribble on aka CB (normajeane)

normajeane
13th June 2008, 22:25
yeah, I was at meet as well with scumdog and I thought I had put my details on my piece of paper but haven't been contacted yet about rides. Thought I may go this Sunday if the weather looks ok. I not too sure if I will like going alone but hopefully it will turn out okay and not too many spooks with other antsy riders. Anyway see how the day turns out and how I feel..

Daffyd
14th June 2008, 16:05
Someone gimme a shout when youse are heading South?

Cheers.

You can count on it!

Ruralman
14th June 2008, 23:05
yeah, I was at meet as well with scumdog and I thought I had put my details on my piece of paper but haven't been contacted yet about rides. Thought I may go this Sunday if the weather looks ok. I not too sure if I will like going alone but hopefully it will turn out okay and not too many spooks with other antsy riders. Anyway see how the day turns out and how I feel..

If its like any other meet you won't feel like you're alone for long - unless thats the way you like it.
Most groups seem to have quite a variety of riders and riding styles so you will always find some who are happy to ride at your pace, whatever that is

scumdog
15th June 2008, 11:15
Ah well, in bed earlier and heard the BRB crew head north, seemed to be 20+ bikes, weather clearing so they should have a good ride.:niceone:

And it seems a certain Sporty is missing from my gargre. (KB for 'garage' for the benefit of any new site members).

Jantar
15th June 2008, 11:31
I'll bet that normajeane stole it, and is hoping to have it back before you notice.

Oh, I believe congratulations are in order for a change of duties. :2thumbsup

scumdog
15th June 2008, 11:40
I'll bet that normajeane stole it, and is hoping to have it back before you notice.

Oh, I believe congratulations are in order for a change of duties. :2thumbsup

I think you're on the money as to the missing bike!!:lol:

And 'change of duties'? - due to staff shortage it MAY be possible I MIGHT start the new job as soon as October!:(

Daffyd
15th June 2008, 19:19
Well, we've been and gone and done it!

About 20 bikers met up in the carpark, had a chat, met a few new faces, and set off for Waihola where we regrouped. Another chat, and on to the next regrouping spot near Logan Park High School before riding round the harbour to Carey's Bay.
Good feed, (if a little slow), more chatting. Good to meet up with xknuts who joined us to Waihola, then back through Dunners to Taieri Mouth, over the hill, (Findlayson's Road)? to Waihola.
Good also, to meet up with Free2b walking the dog in Green Island.
Some 'thirsty' ones headed straight for the pub while others hung around the garage before we parted company and headed for home.

All in all, a great inaugural BRB ride.

Ruralman
16th June 2008, 17:37
I think you're on the money as to the missing bike!!:lol:

And 'change of duties'? - due to staff shortage it MAY be possible I MIGHT start the new job as soon as October!:(

About time CB had her own KB handle
"Change of duties"???? - hope this comes with a big increase in pay and they don't take your radar away and give it to some over zealous rule book muncher who hates bikers!!!!!
It sounds interesting - tell all when you can and I hope its a local job

FREE2B
16th June 2008, 22:14
Well, we've been and gone and done it!

Good also, to meet up with Free2b walking the dog in Green Island.

Great to see you guys (and cb) too :2thumbsup That was silverfern I was with too I presumed you guys had met but maybe now Im not sure so appologies if I should have introduced you all. Sounds like you all had a great day ..well done.

NighthawkNZ
16th June 2008, 22:28
silverfern I was with too I presumed you guys had met but maybe now Im not sure so appologies if I should have introduced you all. Sounds like you all had a great day ..well done.

Didn't they meet at last years mid xmas dinner...???

oldrider
16th June 2008, 22:32
About time CB had her own KB handle

CB are you going to be logging on KB as "normajeane" ? :confused: John. :banana:

Ruralman
18th June 2008, 21:07
CB are you going to be logging on KB as "normajeane" ? :confused: John. :banana:

Looks like she's picked the name of the most famous blond bimbo of the 20th Century - what colour combo for the 21st C Chrissy??

_Shrek_
18th June 2008, 22:31

:bash: for the old a decrepid check out post 51 John :innocent:

oldrider
18th June 2008, 22:34
Looks like she's picked the name of the most famous blond bimbo of the 20th Century - what colour combo for the 21st C Chrissy??

Well she definitely is "hot", she helped me solve my erection problems at the Pissed Penguin rally a couple of years ago! :shutup:

She made an old man very, very happy! :love: Cheers John. :shifty:..........................It was my new tent she helped me erect! :bleh:

xknuts
20th June 2008, 19:18
Well she definitely is "hot", she helped me solve my erection problems at the Pissed Penguin rally a couple of years ago! :shutup:

She made an old man very, very happy! :love: Cheers John. :shifty:..........................It was my new tent she helped me erect! :bleh:

You don't need help these days. see ya Doctor, take more DRUGS. :woohoo:
She is a nurse so she helps lots a people on a daily basis.

When is the next Big River Ride???
I enjoyed meeting new riders (some KB'ers) @ Careys Bay, & my 1st ride over the newer sealed scenic route, Dunedin - Waihola.:apint:

Daffyd
20th June 2008, 21:32
Didn't they meet at last years mid xmas dinner...???

I guess we did... but I can't remember a face ten minutes after meeting them, let alone ten months after! Apologies, silverfern.

scumdog
20th June 2008, 22:28

She's still to make up her mind. (she's a woman after all):msn-wink:

normajeane
21st June 2008, 09:31
Ok you guys, I don't very often get a chance to chat with you all so don't give me a hard time about my name. Truth is I was having a blonde moment and looked at my watch face which has Marilyn Monroe on it. Being such a deep thinker I then thought of her original name and well thats how it happened.
Anyway I did enjoy the ride with other BRB's, and kept well back to let them get off. I was unsure of their riding styles, but did enjoy a wee trek with Daffyd around the Henley side of flood free. Pity it was a bit damp or I might have squirted a bit harder on corners. You see I have picked up a few tips from listening to you all discussing riding techniques.
Looking forward to catching up soon and at least at the Danseys pass camping grounds. Scummy has booked us a luxurious abode.
:rockon:

Ruralman
25th June 2008, 14:46
If anyone on here has the email address for the BRB organiser could you forward on this link please. Maybe they can do an email promotion to their group as this event for their next group ride

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=75383

Its not a cheesecutter protest ride as you'll see when you scroll through it. It is meant to be a fundraiser for the rescue helicopter and it leaves from MCR this Sat (? - I'd better go back and check thats not Sunday but I'm pretty sure). Meet at MCR at 11am

Unfortunately it looks pretty unlikely I will be able to make it but if I could I would because its a good cause which some of us may get to use. There hasn't been a lot of advertising.

Mr Merde
25th June 2008, 15:13

Could this question be better phrased as the following?

Are MBazza and I the only South Island Bikers ?

bladerider97
25th June 2008, 19:17
I am one of the ringers, so I will pass it on. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Ruralman
26th June 2008, 11:16
I am one of the ringers, so I will pass it on. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks and it is Sat 28th

xknuts
26th June 2008, 20:50
Maybe they can do an email promotion to their group as this event for their next group ride

RM, I don't think BRB are quite that organised on the email thingy yet, BUT I am sure it will happen! Phoning around 90 interested members is a drag. :mega:

scumdog
27th June 2008, 00:39
RM, I don't think BRB are quite that organised on the email thingy yet, BUT I am sure it will happen! Phoning around 90 interested members is a drag. :mega:

True, BRB is very casual and loose as yet, contact is via six 'committee' members passing on intending ride info via txt and phones, we are learning to walk before we run so to speak.

bladerider97
27th June 2008, 08:37
True, BRB is very casual and loose as yet, contact is via six 'committee' members passing on intending ride info via txt and phones, we are learning to walk before we run so to speak.

Thats correct, I am one of the "Ringers", It would be easier to just post on KB or flick an email, But on my list there are only 3 to ring the rest just get a bulk text. So its not to bad. We will just see were it goes from here. Unfortunately not everyone is as technically minded as the KB'ers.

Ruralman
1st July 2008, 20:18
I have just started a new thread for adventure riders from Otago to give us a thread where we can plan the usual stuff

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=77021

Mbazza - I hope you still like getting out in the wop wops, but there must be a few others in the Balclutha group?

mbazza
10th July 2008, 22:31
Hi Bruce,
Nope, only me riding upright with my arms straight! Most others in loungers or hunched. Could be that that us wop wop riders only do it in the better weather! Cheers. :cool:

Daffyd
11th July 2008, 21:24
Hi Bruce,
Nope, only me riding upright with my arms straight! Most others in loungers or hunched. Could be that that us wop wop riders only do it in the better weather! Cheers. :cool:

Are you casting nasturtiums at my Lay-z-boy on wheels?

scumdog
12th July 2008, 09:46
Hi Bruce,

Lounging or 'hunched'?

Pfft, I was born that way, you shouldn't make jokes of peoples afflictions:bleh:

FJRider
17th July 2008, 11:44
Lounging or 'hunched'?

Pfft, I was born that way, you shouldn't make jokes of peoples afflictions:bleh:

The "hunched" appearance comes after you(get told) pull your head in too many times. :innocent: A common affliction to those who know more than everybody else.:innocent:

bladerider97
21st July 2008, 09:07
Hi Everyone

There is a meeting on Thursday 24th 7.00pm at the Fire Station, all welcome.

Ruralman
26th July 2008, 20:26
Hi Everyone

There is a meeting on Thursday 24th 7.00pm at the Fire Station, all welcome.

Not that I could have made it anyway but I missed this post - so how did the meeting go and whats coming up??
Group ride to the Blossom Festival ?
What date it the Pissed Penguin?

scumdog
26th July 2008, 21:46
Not that I could have made it anyway but I missed this post - so how did the meeting go and whats coming up??

I missed the bloody meeting, bloody flu!

So keen to hear from anybody that went to it.

Daffyd
27th July 2008, 16:07

Pissed Penguin is 20-21 September. Sent my cheque away last week. :sunny:

NighthawkNZ
27th July 2008, 16:11
Pissed Penguin is 20-21 September. Sent my cheque away last week. :sunny:

me and xaria already got our prepay pack stuff.... No. 20 & 21 :wacko:

bladerider97
28th July 2008, 08:52
I made it to the meeting, there were about 25 people there.

The following events were decided, you will all get a message from the ringers

August 10 Ride to Beamont via Manuka Gorge then up over Moa Flat

September ride TBA one of the Ringer groups is organising

October 26 "Have a go Day" at Terratonga

We also accepted an offer to be involved in the Can Drive. Which will involve a ride around the district on Tuesday 9th and deliver them during the Christmas concert at the show grounds on Friday 12th (So that we can soak up all the accolades from the audience for our hard work), and leave our bikes on display during the concert. We decided to to thr run earlier in the week as the concert starts at 6pm and will only run for 2 hours so that does not leave us enough time

Some of the dates for these later events may be subject to change.

We also discussed if the ringer thing was working, so any comments in that would be appreciated.

scumdog
28th July 2008, 09:16
Thanks for that BR97, it all sounds good!

I guess I was not the only BRB member who missed out on the meeting due to the flu, - still, I hope to be on the above ride (work permitting.:()

bladerider97
28th July 2008, 13:18
I guess I was not the only BRB member who missed out on the meeting due to the flu,

Yeah there was not to many people there, considering there were about 80 at the first meeting.

We did discuss if we needed to meet on a more regular basis. The general feeling was no.

Ruralman
28th July 2008, 22:04
Yeah there was not to many people there, considering there were about 80 at the first meeting.

We did discuss if we needed to meet on a more regular basis. The general feeling was no.

Yeah the last thing many of us need is more meetings !!! - the email and this forum are great ways of communicating (for those that use it!!). If there were 12 members prepared to organise 1 ride in a nominated month then it would work pretty easily - and lets face it, organising a ride on this sort of a forum isn't hard to do. So yes I would take on the job for one of them if required.

About this can run - you planing on doing that on the bikes?? - and I assume you are talking about picking up lots of aluminium cans ??

scumdog
28th July 2008, 22:08
Yeah the last thing many of us need is more meetings !!! - the email and this forum are great ways of communicating (for those that use it!!). If there were 12 members prepared to organise 1 ride in a nominated month then it would work pretty easily - and lets face it, organising a ride on this sort of a forum isn't hard to do. So yes I would take on the job for one of them if required.

About this can run - you planing on doing that on the bikes?? - and I assume you are talking about picking up lots of aluminium cans ??

Yeah Bruce, we do it on the bikes and then drop the cans off with the support vehicle, we have done the Clutha-Kai-Greenfield-Clinton-Clutha run before, not big numbers as its normally a week-night. (and crappy weather):weep:

Ruralman
28th July 2008, 22:15
Yeah Bruce, we do it on the bikes and then drop the cans off with the support vehicle, we have done the Clutha-Kai-Greenfield-Clinton-Clutha run before, not big numbers as its normally a week-night. (and crappy weather):weep:

I presume thats the 9th Dec ?? - in which case I should be able to make that, but that weekend starting on Friday will be the KB get together up at Danseys Pass - was thinking it would be better to go up there on the Friday night

scumdog
28th July 2008, 22:18
I presume thats the 9th Dec ?? - in which case I should be able to make that, but that weekend starting on Friday will be the KB get together up at Danseys Pass - was thinking it would be better to go up there on the Friday night

Hmm, I suspect it WON'T be that month, however I'm prepared to stand corrected.

Like you, CB and I will be en-route to Danseys about then.

Dang, we need some more BRBs on this site to keep the info going.

bladerider97
29th July 2008, 10:15
There will be a support vehicle on the can run picking up the cans, so the bikes wont need to carry any. There will also be a can donation needed from each bike also.

bladerider97
29th July 2008, 10:18
SD you are right, if more BRB's were members it would make it very easy to organise runs.

As it stands now each ringing group will have turns at sorting out a ride each month (I guess that means the actual ringer will more than likely make the decision)

scumdog
3rd August 2008, 19:03
About 8 or so went for a ride to Gore today - and I had to work.:(

Ruralman
5th August 2008, 19:30
There will be a support vehicle on the can run picking up the cans, so the bikes wont need to carry any. There will also be a can donation needed from each bike also.

PLease clarify the date for this can event. Ta

bladerider97
6th August 2008, 08:22
PLease clarify the date for this can event. Ta

Tuesday the 9th for the can pick up, Friday the 12th for the delivery at the Xmas Concert.

Ruralman
10th August 2008, 22:09
Tuesday the 9th for the can pick up, Friday the 12th for the delivery at the Xmas Concert.

December?????

bladerider97
11th August 2008, 08:30
December?????

Sorry, Yes it is December

xknuts
12th August 2008, 22:20
1)BSA Club Memorial Poker Run, Saturday 30th Aug, 10 am @ Southern Hotel, Dunedin. $25. 215 bikes last year, and a great day out.:cool:

2) Pissed Penguin Rally, Kaka Point, Sept 19th/20th/21st. :beer:

fatzx10r
13th August 2008, 12:37
cheer's for the ride out on sunday, may see some of you at the bsa poker run

scumdog
14th August 2008, 18:44
Some B.R.B. were involved in the famous 'Clutha Chain-saw Massacre" - anybody there care to elaborate?

bladerider97
14th August 2008, 20:23
Some B.R.B. were involved in the famous 'Clutha Chain-saw Massacre" - anybody there care to elaborate?

?????????????????????

scumdog
14th August 2008, 20:32
?????????????????????

Speak to Murray Nichol and others that stopped outside the Southy on the weekend.:msn-wink:

Ruralman
29th August 2008, 22:26
I hope theres a few southern riders heading through for the Poker run tomorrow morning - we're going and plan on leaving here between 8:30-9am so if you see a big black Tiger two up its probably us

FJRider
4th October 2008, 19:23
I hope theres a few southern riders heading through for the Poker run tomorrow morning - we're going and plan on leaving here between 8:30-9am so if you see a big black Tiger two up its probably us

Did you enjoy the wind ...???

scumdog
4th October 2008, 19:32
THIS Big River Biker is sure as hell pleased he had to work today - that wind was something else:shit:

FJRider
4th October 2008, 22:10
THIS Big River Biker is sure as hell pleased he had to work today - that wind was something else:shit:

How was business...??? Busy...???:whistle:

scumdog
4th October 2008, 22:44
How was business...??? Busy...???:whistle:

Just the usual: burgs, arson, speeders, intentional damage....and after lunch it was.....

Ruralman
5th October 2008, 22:08
Did you enjoy the wind ...???

Wind - what wind ???

Delphinus
6th October 2008, 09:14
Wind - what wind ???
I think there was a bit of date mixup.

Poker run was Sat 30th August.

Was very windy Sat 4th October.

FJRider
9th October 2008, 14:01
I think there was a bit of date mixup.

Poker run was Sat 30th August.

Was very windy Sat 4th October.

you might be right... bugger...that means I was not ... bugger...dont ya hate it when that happens ...???

bladerider97
9th October 2008, 15:20
Anyone going to ride down to the "thing" (not sure exactly what to call it) at Clinton next Sunday. I was given a flyer about it a month or so ago, but have not heard anything else about it.
The RE5 is back on the road, registered (greedy bastards) & WOF. I thought it might be a nice wee trip for it.

NighthawkNZ
9th October 2008, 15:27
Anyone going to ride down to the "thing" (not sure exactly what to call it) at Clinton next Sunday. I was given a flyer about it a month or so ago, but have not heard anything else about it. .

Me and the other half will most like mosey on down for a bit... :)

Clinton Bike Gathering (http://www.southernrider.co.nz/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=384&func=details&did=157)
Flyer (http://www.southernrider.co.nz/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=29&&Itemid=412)

bladerider97
9th October 2008, 15:50
Cheers Nighthawk, thats the one i was talking about. I could not find the flyer it has found its way into my sophisticated filing system.

NighthawkNZ
9th October 2008, 15:58
Cheers Nighthawk, thats the one i was talking about. I could not find the flyer it has found its way into my sophisticated filing system.

sophisticated filing system ... yes I have one of them to... very difficult to use... but it works... to a degree... :lol:

Ruralman
12th October 2008, 19:32
Anyone going to ride down to the "thing" (not sure exactly what to call it) at Clinton next Sunday. I was given a flyer about it a month or so ago, but have not heard anything else about it.
The RE5 is back on the road, registered (greedy bastards) & WOF. I thought it might be a nice wee trip for it.

Hmmm Balclutha to Clinton and back on a RE5 - just about use a full tank of fuel for that won't it ??? I seem to remember those things only doing about 10mpg??

scumdog
12th October 2008, 19:47
Hmmm Balclutha to Clinton and back on a RE5 - just about use a full tank of fuel for that won't it ??? I seem to remember those things only doing about 10mpg??

S'oright RM, as my bike does 55+mpg I'll tow him back from Clinton!!;)

But seriously, should be a good day out and CB and I hope to be there!:woohoo:

Ruralman
12th October 2008, 20:05
S'oright RM, as my bike does 55+mpg I'll tow him back from Clinton!!;)

Unfortunately I can't see us getting there - been away in the yellow go Kart to the Masters Games in Timaru this weekend and will have kids and a school fair next weekend.

It does sound like a good excuse for a day out and no doubt the Clinton Pub will be right behind it and hopeing everyone is thirsty:apint:

NighthawkNZ
12th October 2008, 20:14

Few of us from the far north most likely venturing down for the day as well :)

bladerider97
13th October 2008, 18:51

No its the New $70 spark plug every time I ride the bloody thing that pisses me off.

Ruralman
14th October 2008, 10:31
No its the New $70 spark plug every time I ride the bloody thing that pisses me off.

Ouch - worse than a 2 stroke

scumdog
24th November 2008, 20:29
Had another BRB meeting tonight to plan for rides, meeting times etc.

Seems we're going to have Wednesday night rides leaving the usual meeting place at 6pm, destination Lawrence for a pie'n'pint, as there are many ways to Lawrence we'll head there for a few Wednesdays then pic a new place to ride to.

Also have a few day rides coming up, about 240km or so, these will leave 1pm on the chosen Saturdays.

Later we'll have overnighters at say Manapouri or similar.

A decision is that we change to e-mails away from txts to announce planned rides, spontaneous ones will probably still be via txt.

And I was told we have nearly a hundred RBR-ers at the moment.:cool:

Ruralman
25th November 2008, 21:12
Had another BRB meeting tonight to plan for rides, meeting times etc.

Seems we're going to have Wednesday night rides leaving the usual meeting place at 6pm, destination Lawrence for a pie'n'pint, as there are many ways to Lawrence we'll head there for a few Wednesdays then pic a new place to ride to.

Also have a few day rides coming up, about 240km or so, these will leave 1pm on the chosen Saturdays.

Later we'll have overnighters at say Manapouri or similar.

A decision is that we change to e-mails away from txts to announce planned rides, spontaneous ones will probably still be via txt.

And I was told we have nearly a hundred RBR-ers at the moment.:cool:

The usual meeting place is where??

NighthawkNZ
25th November 2008, 21:14

the normal spot... yah know... :Pokey:

Ruralman
25th November 2008, 21:17
the normal spot... yah know... :Pokey:

I see advancing age and milestone birthdays are not a cure for smartarse

scumdog
25th November 2008, 21:21

The old Wrighties car-park behind where Paper-plus USE to be, across from the Caltex:done:.

Daffyd
25th November 2008, 21:22

The carpark (Wrightsons?) opposite Balclutha Motors.

NighthawkNZ
25th November 2008, 21:41

But i am right... it is in the normal spot... it hasn't moved... :scratch:

xknuts
27th November 2008, 20:42

But smart he is! It was free shout of JB or JD that made my Magpie MAGNIFICENT :drinkup::woohoo:

Ruralman
29th November 2008, 21:33
The old Wrighties car-park behind where Paper-plus USE to be, across from the Caltex:done:.

Thanks Tom.
Is`that can drive thing on this coming week?? (Weds?) - if so whats the story with that so I can organize myself to get there.
I know it said in an earlier post that the date was to be Tues 9th but I was talking to the local radio lady on Thurs night who seemed sure it was this coming Weds
Cheers

NighthawkNZ
29th November 2008, 21:45
But smart he is! It was free shout of JB or JD that made my Magpie MAGNIFICENT :drinkup::woohoo:

glad i could help ;)

bladerider97
1st December 2008, 08:37
Thanks Tom.
Is`that can drive thing on this coming week?? (Weds?) - if so whats the story with that so I can organize myself to get there.
I know it said in an earlier post that the date was to be Tues 9th but I was talking to the local radio lady on Thurs night who seemed sure it was this coming Weds
Cheers

Definitely Tuesday the 9th for the pick up run, we will be traveling to Owaka, Clinton, Clydevale & Kai then back to the Rosie for refreshments . Then drop of the cans on Friday 12th at the Xmas concert at the show grounds. There will be a support vehicle that will do the actual carrying of the cans.
Everyone should be notified by the ringers sometime before hand.

I think the confusion with Wednesday is because that was decided to be the group ride night. 6pm every Wednesday from the old Wrightsons car park.

Daffyd
1st December 2008, 18:24
Definitely Tuesday the 9th for the pick up run, we will be traveling to Owaka, Clinton, Clydevale & Kai then back to the Rosie for refreshments . Then drop of the cans on Friday 12th at the Xmas concert at the show grounds. There will be a support vehicle that will do the actual carrying of the cans.

I think the confusion with Wednesday is because that was decided to be the group ride night. 6pm every Wednesday from the old Wrightsons car park.

Leaving New World carpark @ 17:00 hrs.

bladerider97
2nd December 2008, 07:44
Leaving New World carpark @ 17:00 hrs.

Thanks, forgot to mention that.

Ruralman
2nd December 2008, 16:39

Thanks for that - leaves me with a problem 'cos I'm running a farm discussion group meeting down Clinton was that afternoon and I don't usually finish till about 5:30. I suppose if its a good day I could take the bike to the meeting but I haven't done that before.

bladerider97
3rd December 2008, 07:41
Thanks for that - leaves me with a problem 'cos I'm running a farm discussion group meeting down Clinton was that afternoon and I don't usually finish till about 5:30. I suppose if its a good day I could take the bike to the meeting but I haven't done that before.

Part of the schedule was a refreshment stop at the Clinton pub, You could always meet up with us there

scumdog
3rd December 2008, 15:42
Got a meeting @ Clinton pub myself tonight, not sure if I'll take the bike or not..clouds look kinda nasty right now.:crazy:

Ruralman
4th December 2008, 19:43
Got a meeting @ Clinton pub myself tonight, not sure if I'll take the bike or not..clouds look kinda nasty right now.:crazy:

At least its not been cold with it - gunna be choosing between 2 wheels or 4 tomorrow myself. Forecast looks a bit better.
Are you guys going through to the BRONZ toy run on Sat ?? (1:30 at Carey's Bay pub). Are the BRB doing a group ride through there?

Daffyd
4th December 2008, 20:07
The 'Can Cruise' timetable is as follows:

Tuesday, 9th December.

Balclutha New World 5:00pm
Owaka 4 Square 5:35pm
Oak Tree Inn Clinton 6:15pm
Clutha Valley School 7:05pm
Balclutha Scout Hall 7:45pm
Kaitangata Town Hall 8:10pm

Ruralman
4th December 2008, 20:39
The 'Can Cruise' timetable is as follows:

Tuesday, 9th December.

Balclutha New World 5:00pm
Owaka 4 Square 5:35pm
Oak Tree Inn Clinton 6:15pm
Clutha Valley School 7:05pm
Balclutha Scout Hall 7:45pm
Kaitangata Town Hall 8:10pm

I assume from that they are coming up the Owaka Valley to Clinton - about 15km of gravel too so its good to see that that doesn't faze those good real southern men and women bikers:Punk:

Daffyd
4th December 2008, 20:46
I assume from that they are coming up the Owaka Valley to Clinton - about 15km of gravel too so its good to see that that doesn't faze those good real southern men and women bikers:Punk:

I think you have the option of going either way.
Prolly not too much difference, time-wise.

Ruralman
4th December 2008, 20:54
I think you have the option of going either way.
Prolly not too much difference, time-wise.

Thats a big wide very fast gravel road section and you would be pretty unlucky to meet speed enforcement devices on the sealed sections, plus its a pretty direct route so it must take less time than going all the way back through Balclutha wouldn't it - or is there a short cut?

Daffyd
4th December 2008, 21:40
Thats a big wide very fast gravel road section and you would be pretty unlucky to meet speed enforcement devices on the sealed sections, plus its a pretty direct route so it must take less time than going all the way back through Balclutha wouldn't it - or is there a short cut?

No, no shortcut. Just figured faster riding would compensate for the shorter distance.

Ruralman
6th December 2008, 22:38
No, no shortcut. Just figured faster riding would compensate for the shorter distance.

Theres only 15km of gravel - its very wide with good wheel tracks so it doesn't slow things down much (put it this way - I could accumulate more demerit points if .............:Police:)

scumdog
7th December 2008, 07:36
Theres only 15km of gravel - its very wide with good wheel tracks so it doesn't slow things down much (put it this way - I could accumulate more demerit points if .............:Police:)

Yeah - but you've got one of them high-ridin' dirt-flingin' gravel-chuckin' bikes designed for that sort of road eh!:bleh::lol:

hondav2
7th December 2008, 08:01
Hope some of u guys can make the trip down . C Yous there . Cheers Toddy

Ruralman
8th December 2008, 09:56
Yeah - but you've got one of them high-ridin' dirt-flingin' gravel-chuckin' bikes designed for that sort of road eh!:bleh::lol:

But Harleys have got big wheels - should be ideal on the gravel :clap:
Just have to avoid the suspension testing potholes eh :dodge:

bladerider97
8th December 2008, 10:10
The plan was that if some people did not want to ride the gravel there would be a group double back and cut through Warepa and come out onto SH1 at Kaihiku.
Personally I dont mind a bit of gravel, but if it is wet it does make a bloody mess of your bike. That is a very good gravel road, it is always packed quite hard and is very wide with not much loose gravel.

NighthawkNZ
9th December 2008, 14:49
But Harleys have got big wheels - should be ideal on the gravel :clap:

Err big fat wheels make it worse in the gravel... thats why they don't have them on trail and tigers...???? :scratch: :oi-grr:

scumdog
9th December 2008, 21:41
Thirty of us did the Kan Kollection tonight, started about 5:30 at Riviera of the South, rode to Owaka then through to Clinton (and one lot went via Owaka valley, the other tar-babies went via Freezing Works Road and Warepa etc - both got to Clinton at the same time).

We had a bite to eat, a drink and on to Clydevale - Balclutha Boy Scouts - Kaitangata and then to the Town and Country club for some more to eat and a drink that was 'shouted'

Great evening for a ride, clear dry roads and big variety of bikes, all good!:rockon:

Daffyd
10th December 2008, 19:02
That makes me more pissed off than ever! I had a shit of a day yesterday.

The jobs I intended starting at 9 eventually got started at 3, so I was 6 hours late for everything.
That's 3 in a row I've missed now; oh well, maybe next year.

scumdog
7th January 2009, 19:42
Well for the first time in a long time CB and I had a free Wednesday evening so decided to go on the 'BRB Wednesday Night Ride'.

So awaited at the usual meeting place, CB was a tad impatient so even though nobody else had turned up we left at at 6:05 - we had no idea where to go but CB said 'we could go to the Owaka jar-shop and get something to eat' so I led the way to Owaka, nice ride, no traffic but some nasty looking clouds lurked about but it never rained

We headed for the Catlins Inn and dined on a burger - a classic big-as burger the way 'they use to be'.

Had an Amstel low-alcohol to wash it down then off for the return trip - amazing how much smoother, faster and flowing the return trip always is eh?

Ah well, maybe NEXT time we'll have some company.

NighthawkNZ
7th January 2009, 19:44
Ah well, maybe NEXT time we'll have some company.

Yah get that... been a few times on the Dunedin weekly ride been just me..