PDA

View Full Version : University unveils ‘Virtual Bike’

Bob
24th May 2008, 00:34
The University of Nottingham has unveiled a motorcycle simulator, said to be the ‘first of its kind’.

The simulator, which uses a genuine Triumph Daytona chassis donated by the UK manufacturer, will be used to monitor rider behaviour, leading to advances in road safety and bike design.

The bike – which is linked to software previously used in car simulators - leans as it would in a real-life scenario, pushed by four pneumatic actuators. A road environment is then projected onto a large screen in front of the bike.

Dr Alex Stedmon said: "It is going to be a fantastic research facility for us. It's the first full-sized, moveable simulator that's linked to a projection screen and reconfigurable software. On the simulator we don't have to worry about the safety of riders or the weather (because it is indoors)."

skidMark
24th May 2008, 00:36
The University of Nottingham has unveiled a motorcycle simulator, said to be the ‘first of its kind’.

The simulator, which uses a genuine Triumph Daytona chassis donated by the UK manufacturer, will be used to monitor rider behaviour, leading to advances in road safety and bike design.

The bike – which is linked to software previously used in car simulators - leans as it would in a real-life scenario, pushed by four pneumatic actuators. A road environment is then projected onto a large screen in front of the bike.

Dr Alex Stedmon said: "It is going to be a fantastic research facility for us. It's the first full-sized, moveable simulator that's linked to a projection screen and reconfigurable software. On the simulator we don't have to worry about the safety of riders or the weather (because it is indoors)."

But the question remains.

Can it wheelie :cool:

Spuds1234
24th May 2008, 07:47
How would you stay on the bike at full lean?

If the bike chassis is stationary then you would fall off, or would be leaning in the wrong direction.

I'd have a go on it though.

Bonez
24th May 2008, 11:28
Here's one from SSI using plasma scenes.

http://www.simulatorsystems.com/motorcycle.htm

scracha
26th May 2008, 21:24
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7414783.stm

Oh FFS. Hundreds of thousands in grant money and their simulator looks less realistic than the old Super Hangon arcade machines I played when I was about 16 (a long long time ago)